PDA

View Full Version : US Congress secretly nationalizes all private communications and data

GunnyFreedom
12-11-2014, 06:18 AM
h/t http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?464622-Something-Rather-Alarming-On-Amash-s-FB-Page
Congressman Justin Amash via jeffro97 at RonPaulForums

SEC. 309. PROCEDURES FOR THE RETENTION OF INCIDENTALLY ACQUIRED COMMUNICATIONS.

(a) Definitions- In this section:

(1) COVERED COMMUNICATION- The term ‘covered communication’ means any nonpublic telephone or electronic communication acquired without the consent of a person who is a party to the communication, including communications in electronic storage.

ANY nonpublic communication including everything on the Internet or on private servers not on the internet, or on private or commercial computers everywhere, without your consent.

(2) HEAD OF AN ELEMENT OF THE INTELLIGENCE COMMUNITY- The term ‘head of an element of the intelligence community’ means, as appropriate--

(A) the head of an element of the intelligence community; or
(B) the head of the department or agency containing such element.

(3) UNITED STATES PERSON- The term ‘United States person’ has the meaning given that term in section 101 of the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act of 1978 (50 U.S.C. 1801) (b) Procedures for Covered Communications-

(1) REQUIREMENT TO ADOPT- Not later than 2 years after the date of the enactment of this Act each head of an element of the intelligence community shall adopt procedures approved by the Attorney General for such element that ensure compliance with the requirements of paragraph (3).

(2) COORDINATION AND APPROVAL- The procedures required by paragraph (1) shall be--

(A) prepared in coordination with the Director of National Intelligence; and
(B) approved by the Attorney General prior to issuance.

(3) PROCEDURES-

(A) APPLICATION- The procedures required by paragraph (1) shall apply to any intelligence collection activity not otherwise authorized by court order (including an order or certification issued by a court established under subsection (a) or (b) of section 103 of the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act of 1978 (50 U.S.C. 1803)), subpoena, or similar legal process that is reasonably anticipated to result in the acquisition of a covered communication to or from a United States person and shall permit the acquisition, retention, and dissemination of covered communications subject to the limitation in subparagraph (B).

Intelligence apparently includes domestic police activity section (ii) retention by law enforcement agency. This basically means the databases will fall under the command of the DHS Fusion Centers, now with a wide net to collect "everything" and do complex analysis and data-mining for criminals, traitors, and thought-criminals.

(B) LIMITATION ON RETENTION- A covered communication shall not be retained in excess of 5 years, unless--

(i) the communication has been affirmatively determined, in whole or in part, to constitute foreign intelligence or counterintelligence or is necessary to understand or assess foreign intelligence or counterintelligence;
(ii) the communication is reasonably believed to constitute evidence of a crime and is retained by a law enforcement agency;

All that 'Constitution' stuff notwithstanding, that whole "not authorized by court order" will be retained for the rest of time if we think there might be a crime in there somewhere.

To me this means that whatever they are calling "Carnivore" nowadays will be piped through the DHS and node out to the Fusion Centers. Then law enforcement will have access to all that crazy NSA wiretapping stuff. Forget breaking into our phones...

(iii) the communication is enciphered or reasonably believed to have a secret meaning;

We will keep it forever if it's at all encrypted, you know, just because. Even if we think you might be speaking in dog-whistles, we will keep that blog comment FOREVER in your permanent file, buddy.

(iv) all parties to the communication are reasonably believed to be non-United States persons;
(v) retention is necessary to protect against an imminent threat to human life, in which case both the nature of the threat and the information to be retained shall be reported to the congressional intelligence committees not later than 30 days after the date such retention is extended under this clause;

lmao @ imminent threat after 5 years :rolleyes:

(vi) retention is necessary for technical assurance or compliance purposes, including a court order or discovery obligation, in which case access to information retained for technical assurance or compliance purposes shall be reported to the congressional intelligence committees on an annual basis; or

This actually makes any 'conditions' on retention meaningless. Some guy in a hovel says "comply" with a new records-keeping standard and now they are 20.

(vii) retention for a period in excess of 5 years is approved by the head of the element of the intelligence community responsible for such retention, based on a determination that retention is necessary to protect the national security of the United States, in which case the head of such element shall provide to the congressional intelligence committees a written certification describing--
(I) the reasons extended retention is necessary to protect the national security of the United States;

lmao @ "we will just keep them longer than 5 years if we want to anyway" haha so why even bother to list conditions? ffs

It's fer National Security! Secure the Homeland, every mundane citizen duck and cover while we come around and count your money and test your toilets for drugs.

(II) the duration for which the head of the element is authorizing retention;
(III) the particular information to be retained; and
(IV) the measures the element of the intelligence community is taking to protect the privacy interests of United States persons or persons located inside the United States.

gg
h
h

Lord have mercy. Are y'all seeing what I am seeing in this bill?

Working Poor
12-11-2014, 07:29 AM
I just have no words....

specsaregood
12-11-2014, 07:31 AM
I just have no words....

Well that's because all your words now belong to the NSA.

GunnyFreedom
12-11-2014, 07:40 AM
lol 'all your word... are belong to us.'

GunnyFreedom
12-11-2014, 07:43 AM
"Inadvertently obtained" sounds like you accidentally walk by an investigation one day, but it's the mass surveillance age, and the NSA devours every drop of digital and audio data. With this section I believe that data will be authorized for use in domestic criminal investigations as the datapool is systemized and unified via DHS.

Cleaner44
12-11-2014, 08:55 AM
Well now this means that any good lawyer could and should request all data on anyone and everyone they need. For example, if I am suing Nancy Pelosi for the crimes of Obamacare, my lawyer should be able to go through all of her communications to see what evidense of bribes they can find.

presence
12-11-2014, 09:38 AM
http://pmcdeadline2.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/revolt-network__140112193441.jpg

http://intouch-marketing.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/ItsTimeStackK_on_123_M.jpg

jllundqu
12-11-2014, 09:40 AM
"Inadvertently obtained" sounds like you accidentally walk by an investigation one day, but it's the mass surveillance age, and the NSA devours every drop of digital and audio data. With this section I believe that data will be authorized for use in domestic criminal investigations as the datapool is systemized and unified via DHS.

They don't call the NSA the "Big Ear" for nothing... we all know they were collecting it anyway, this law doesn't change it, but it's another big step towards really bad things for a once free people, the internet, etc.

ZENemy
12-11-2014, 10:43 AM
Organized Tax strike

It could start with merely 20 people.

devil21
12-11-2014, 04:21 PM
Well now this means that any good lawyer could and should request all data on anyone and everyone they need. For example, if I am suing Nancy Pelosi for the crimes of Obamacare, my lawyer should be able to go through all of her communications to see what evidense of bribes they can find.

I only read gunny's tidbits but are there any exclusions in the bill about whose info can not be retained?

Im pretty sure youll be better off pounding sand than trying to get Pelosi's records but that's the gist of this bill for everyone not already inside the protected power structure. The whole thing strikes me as permanent retention of all communications so dirt can be dug up and spun for damage against anyone that poses a 'problem' to the existing power structure now or in the future. Basically permanent blackmail material at their fingertips. It probably just codifies illegal stuff they've been doing for a long time any way, not granting new powers. Sorta like the telecomm retroactive immunity bill did....

RonPaulIsGreat
12-11-2014, 05:01 PM
We really need a crowdsourced project to create an end to end privacy solution. I'm speaking of custom designed motherboard, In house created CPU, In house created Router, with mandatory end to end strong encryption, and every single chip on any approved device completely vetted. Then a linux distribution with the primary function being to ensure privacy.

muh_roads
12-11-2014, 05:23 PM
This is incredibly disgusting. What the fuck is wrong with these people in DC?

I have no words.

GunnyFreedom
12-11-2014, 06:10 PM
We really need a crowdsourced project to create an end to end privacy solution. I'm speaking of custom designed motherboard, In house created CPU, In house created Router, with mandatory end to end strong encryption, and every single chip on any approved device completely vetted. Then a linux distribution with the primary function being to ensure privacy.

I designed this system 2 years ago. :D

tangent4ronpaul
12-11-2014, 06:27 PM
Anyone notice the if it's encrypted we keep it forever.
So your iPhone's default encryption...
If you use https...
The big players like Google are encrypting to protect against NSA spying. Use encryption and NSA owns your data.

Mmmmm Hmmmm...

-t

Carson
12-11-2014, 06:54 PM
Thread Music?

Dream Police - Cheap Trick - 1979 Promo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yRRqxJHQmA

Carson
12-11-2014, 06:55 PM
If you use https...
The big players like Google are encrypting to protect against NSA spying. Use encryption and NSA owns your data.

Mmmmm Hmmmm...

-t

Good point.

muh_roads
12-11-2014, 08:45 PM
If you use https...

Mmmmm Hmmmm...

-t

They'll collect it all anyway and keep it forever, encrypted or not. Do we really trust anything they are supposed to bind themselves to after lying about PRISM and keeping it secret all these years? You might as well use encryption. If everyone is doing it, that becomes a headache for the oligarchs.

KCIndy
12-12-2014, 05:00 PM
They'll collect it all anyway and keep it forever, encrypted or not. Do we really trust anything they are supposed to bind themselves to after lying about PRISM and keeping it secret all these years? You might as well use encryption. If everyone is doing it, that becomes a headache for the oligarchs.

Exactly.

I was just thinking about what a pain in the ass it would be for these guys if *everyone* started encrypting everything. If everyone just encrypted their video streaming, the CIA wouldn't be hard pressed to find enough data storage to hold it all.

12-12-2014, 06:50 PM
Meh, I have spent most of my adult life operating on the assumption the government can monitor everything.

This is just the government admitting they do.

muh_roads
12-12-2014, 09:28 PM
Exactly.

I was just thinking about what a pain in the ass it would be for these guys if *everyone* started encrypting everything. If everyone just encrypted their video streaming, the CIA wouldn't be hard pressed to find enough data storage to hold it all.

I can't seem to find the article but I thought I read that encrypted global internet data has jumped from 9% to 28% or something ever since Snowden released the documents.

If people don't trust Google or Apple when they say their Android L & iOS9 is encrypted (I don't follow apple, iOS8?), there is another option called Blackphone (https://blackphone.ch/). It is funded by a group called Silent Circle.

amy31416
12-12-2014, 09:38 PM
Isn't the "keeping encrypted info infinitely" point moot when we know that our gov't streams our communications to other countries that are not subject to our, or their own laws in regards to that information, encrypted or not?

Very happy to be paying for such a service.