PDA

View Full Version : Watch out, 70% of us have done something that could put us in jail

Suzanimal
12-09-2014, 09:06 AM
I know I'm one of the 70%. Personally, I think the number is higher than 70%.

"More than 70 percent of American adults have committed a crime that could lead to imprisonment."
— Stephen Carter on Thursday, December 4th, 2014 in an opinion piece in "Bloomberg Views"

Conventional wisdom would tell us that most normal folks will never have an interaction with police like the one Eric Garner had that ultimately led to his death. Yale Law School professor Stephen Carter warned that might not necessarily be the case.

Citing the work of Rutgers University law scholar Douglas Husak, Carter wrote on Dec. 4 that "70 percent of American adults have committed a crime that could lead to imprisonment." Carter noted that’s in part because there are 300,000 or more federal regulations that may be enforceable through criminal punishment.

It's as though, Carter said, lawmakers tack on imprisonment to give a law heft. To paraphrase the old line, we are not just a nation of laws, we are a nation overrun by laws. Carter suggests reigning things in.

The fact that 70 percent of people have committed a jailable offense is part of Carter's evidence. We wanted to know if other legal experts thought it was correct.

They do.

Before we get to their reasons, let’s be clear about what Carter and Husak are saying. By the way, Husak told us that Carter quoted him accurately.

For Husak, the question wasn’t whether any court would be likely to put someone behind bars for a particular offense, but whether the law gives them the power to do so. Husak said one need look no further than the laws on prescription drugs. If a doctor gave you a prescription for the common painkiller vicodin and your spouse brings it to you as you lie in bed, "your spouse is dispensing a controlled substance without a license," Husak said.

Would that ever be enforced? Not likely. But Husak said that is how the law is written.

If that were not enough to get to 70 percent of adults, Husak factored in illicit drug use. According to a 2012 survey by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, over half of the people in every age group born after 1950 said they had used an illicit drug at some time in their lives, primarily marijuana or prescription drugs. That alone comes to about 84 million people, or 37 percent of all people over 20.

While some legal experts we reached said they didn’t know how you could come up with an exact number, just about all said it would be no trouble to keep adding more.

Sonja Starr at the University of Michigan Law School said many people drink and drive.

"The Centers for Disease Control found 112 million self-reported incidences of drunk driving," Starr said, with the caveat that some drivers would report multiple offences. "And that’s just in a single year."

Starr said you could easily get to the 70 percent mark.

By and large, Starr’s counterparts at other law schools agreed.

Bennett Capers, professor of law, Brooklyn Law School

"This doesn't give me pause at all. There are thousands of criminal statutes on the books, criminalizing things that some of us do without thinking. This runs the gamut from the serious (in New Jersey, it is technically a crime to have sex without first receiving "freely given affirmative permission to the specific act of sexual penetration") to the routine (fudging tax returns) to the mundane (illegal downloads)."

David Gray, professor of law, University of Maryland School of Law

"70 percent seems low to me. Once you factor in illegal drug use, crimes of recklessness (which seldom are detected because no harm accrues), downloading, DUI, failures to report income, and the scores of relatively innocuous offenses that just happen to carry the possibility of jail time in some jurisdictions, I’d be surprised if the percentage wasn’t much higher than 70 percent over the course of most adults’ lifetimes."

Jeffrey Fagan, professor of law and public health, Columbia Law School

Fagan said he didn’t know the right percentage, but he could believe the 70 percent figure. "I’ve violated imprisonable offenses while fishing," Fagan said.

Robert Weisberg, professor of law, Stanford Law School

"The number is unknowable, but it strikes me as plausible."

Laurie Levenson, professor of law at Loyola Law School Los Angeles

"It does seem to exaggerate the likely number of Americans who are at actual risk of prosecution and imprisonment," Levenson said. "What we really need to pay attention to is the percent of Americans who commit crimes that are on the prosecutors' radar screens."

Levenson’s point gets at a key ambiguity in Carter’s statement. Much depends on the interpretation of "could lead to imprisonment." In his article, Carter made it clear he did not mean that imprisonment was in any way likely. His point was simply that too many laws carry too hefty a penalty and in theory, anyone could become ensnared.

Our ruling

Carter said that more than 70 percent of American adults have committed a crime that could lead to imprisonment. Based on a strictly technical reading of existing laws, the consensus among the legal experts we reached is that the number is reasonable. Way more than a majority of Americans have done something in their lives that runs afoul of some law that includes jail or prison time as a potential punishment.

That said, experts acknowledged that the likelihood of arrest, prosecution or imprisonment is exceedingly low for many of Americans’ "crimes."

As such, we rate the claim Mostly True.

http://www.politifact.com/punditfact...ould-put-us-j/

GunnyFreedom
12-09-2014, 09:11 AM
http://www.politifact.com/punditfact/statements/2014/dec/08/stephen-carter/watch-out-70-us-have-done-something-could-put-us-j/

Suzanimal
12-09-2014, 09:17 AM
http://www.politifact.com/punditfact/statements/2014/dec/08/stephen-carter/watch-out-70-us-have-done-something-could-put-us-j/

HAHA, Thanks Gunny. My coffee hasn't kicked in yet.:o

GunnyFreedom
12-09-2014, 09:20 AM
HAHA, Thanks Gunny. My coffee hasn't kicked in yet.:o

LOL no worries, I wanted the link so I could post it on fedbook. I cliked, and it brought up new post. I loled and then searched for the article text. I figured, so long as I had the link why not put it in the thread? :p

Ronin Truth
12-09-2014, 09:22 AM
With about 5 million laws, how could any of us not have broken several almost everyday? And don't ever forget, ignorance is no excuse.

tod evans
12-09-2014, 09:49 AM
With about 5 million laws, how could any of us not have broken several almost everyday? And don't ever forget, ignorance is no excuse.

Yet as a group the population continues to elect "law makers"....

Wonder what'd happen if law repealers were elected for a few terms?

donnay
12-09-2014, 10:11 AM
"There's no way to rule innocent men.
The only power government has is the power to crack down on criminals.
Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them.
One declares so many things to be a crime
that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws."
~ Ayn Rand

Schifference
12-09-2014, 10:14 AM
I feel like we are already in prison. We live in a prison with a security level a step or two down from minimum security. We are allowed certain privileges so long as we don't step out of line. They use our sweat and labor to pay for the higher security level prisoners.

Occam's Banana
12-09-2014, 05:16 PM
http://therealsingapore.com/sites/default/files/field/image/lao2.jpg

Ronin Truth
12-09-2014, 05:30 PM

Wonder what'd happen if law repealers were elected for a few terms? The CONgress is a frickin' law factory, by design. Passing laws is just what they do. It's their job.

After 225 years they kinda begin to stack up.;) :p :mad:

NorthCarolinaLiberty
12-09-2014, 05:45 PM
Fisharmor had a post about CPS visiting because somebody ratted. Seems his kids were walking by themselves and beyond the time set by some guidelines. Have to look for his thread.

Wonder if 3 felonies a day includes "assault." In the old days, you might say to somebody, "I outa kick your ass," but nobody would pay heed (especially to me; heh). Nowadays, the government comes to kick your ass when someone rats you out for saying something like that.

Dr.3D
12-09-2014, 05:48 PM

Wonder what'd happen if law repealers were elected for a few terms?
Let's hope people will listen to and find someone who is for repealing laws and vote for that person instead of one who wants to be a "lawmaker."

phill4paul
12-09-2014, 05:59 PM
I'm one of the 70%. I am at least a three felony a day man. Without trying. I don't harm any one. And that is why I am under no illusion that the state can war on me at whim. I'm not afforded this impunity.

ChristianAnarchist
12-09-2014, 06:06 PM
70%?? More like 100%. I'm sure any DA worth his salt could indict any one of us...

phill4paul
12-09-2014, 06:13 PM
70%?? More like 100%. I'm sure any DA worth his salt could indict any one of us...

They could. They do. I've been to court. As a litigate and as an observer. For most, court is not 'To Kill A Mockingbird.' It's a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am. THAT is how quick the look on another's face goes from bearing it to being kicked in the nuts.

Occam's Banana
12-09-2014, 07:43 PM
Watch out, 70% of us have done something that could put us in jail

Actually, under present conditions, 100% of people have done something that could put them in jail.

So the question isn't whether you've done something that could put you in jail.
The question is whether you are someone TPTB want to put in jail.

Despite the fact that everyone has done something for which they could be jailed, you've got nothing to worry about as long as you are one of the priveleged elite (or a member of their enforcer class). And, of course, that's the whole point - it's exactly the way TPTB like it ...

RonPaulIsGreat
12-09-2014, 08:01 PM
Sure, I sold pot before, and even transported felony levels of acid once. (Very long time ago).

Don't do any drugs or drug transport now, and wouldn't do drugs even if legal. But if fate had chosen to, I could have, and those with me, been locked up for a very long time, for essentially nothing.

It's a stupid game we play, we pretend there are good and bad people, and the bad people are the ones that get sent to prison, sure, there are bad people in jail, but I'd guess half of those in jail, just fucked up, and now live with murders, rapists, and gang bangers.

Anti Federalist
12-09-2014, 08:13 PM
I feel like we are already in prison. We live in a prison with a security level a step or two down from minimum security. We are allowed certain privileges so long as we don't step out of line. They use our sweat and labor to pay for the higher security level prisoners.

You do.

So do we all.

AmeriKa, in 2014 is an open air, panopticon prison.

We are under a level of surveillance and control that the old East German STASI could have only dreamed of.

All that had to be done to accomplish this is to give it a veneer of cheap consumerism and a patina of false freedom.

anaconda
12-09-2014, 08:15 PM

I think some researchers looked into this and came to the conclusion that everyone is in violation of some law virtually non-stop.

anaconda
12-09-2014, 08:16 PM

^This.

emazur
12-09-2014, 09:30 PM
Time for this epic Ayn Rand quote from Atlas Shrugged:

“Did you really think we want those laws observed?" said Dr. Ferris. "We want them to be broken. You'd better get it straight that it's not a bunch of boy scouts you're up against... We're after power and we mean it... There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. Who wants a nation of law-abiding citizens? What's there in that for anyone? But just pass the kind of laws that can neither be observed nor enforced or objectively interpreted – and you create a nation of law-breakers – and then you cash in on guilt. Now that's the system, Mr. Reardon, that's the game, and once you understand it, you'll be much easier to deal with.”

heavenlyboy34
12-09-2014, 10:08 PM
You commit three felonies a day  JUN 10 2013

In a book called Three Felonies A Day (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00505UZ4G/ref=nosim/0sil8), Boston civil rights lawyer Harvey Silverglate says that everyone in the US commits felonies everyday and if the government takes a dislike to you for any reason, they'll dig in and find a felony you're guilty of.
The average professional in this country wakes up in the morning, goes to work, comes home, eats dinner, and then goes to sleep, unaware that he or she has likely committed several federal crimes that day. Why? The answer lies in the very nature of modern federal criminal laws, which have exploded in number but also become impossibly broad and vague. In Three Felonies a Day, Harvey A. Silverglate reveals how federal criminal laws have become dangerously disconnected from the English common law tradition and how prosecutors can pin arguable federal crimes on any one of us, for even the most seemingly innocuous behavior. The volume of federal crimes in recent decades has increased well beyond the statute books and into the morass of the Code of Federal Regulations, handing federal prosecutors an additional trove of vague and exceedingly complex and technical prohibitions to stick on their hapless targets. The dangers spelled (http://kottke.org/13/06/you-commit-three-felonies-a-day#) out in Three Felonies a Day do not apply solely to "white collar criminals," state and local politicians, and professionals. No social class (http://kottke.org/13/06/you-commit-three-felonies-a-day#) or profession is safe from this troubling form of social control (http://kottke.org/13/06/you-commit-three-felonies-a-day#) by the executive branch, and nothing less than the integrity of our constitutional democracy hangs in the balance.

In response to a question about what happens to big company CEOs who refuse to go along with government surveillance requests, John Gilmore offers a case study (https://mailman.stanford.edu/pipermail/liberationtech/2013-June/008815.html) in what Silverglate is talking about.
We know what happened in the case of QWest before 9/11. They contacted the CEO/Chairman asking to wiretap all the customers. After he consulted with Legal, he refused. As a result, NSA canceled a bunch of unrelated billion dollar contracts that QWest was the top bidder for. And then the DoJ targeted him and prosecuted him and put him in prison for insider trading -- on the theory that he knew of anticipated income from secret programs (http://kottke.org/13/06/you-commit-three-felonies-a-day#) that QWest was planning for the government, while the public didn't because it was classified and he couldn't legally tell them, and then he bought or sold QWest stock knowing those things.
This CEO's name is Joseph P. Nacchio and TODAY he's still serving a trumped-up 6-year federal prison sentence today for quietly refusing an NSA demand to massively wiretap his customers.

You combine this with the uber-surveillance allegedly being undertaken by the NSA and other governmental agencies and you've got a system for more or less automatically accusing any US citizen of a felony. Free society, LOL ROFLcopter.

http://kottke.org/13/06/you-commit-three-felonies-a-day

heavenlyboy34
12-09-2014, 10:10 PM
You do.

So do we all.

AmeriKa, in 2014 is an open air, panopticon prison.

We are under a level of surveillance and control that the old East German STASI could have only dreamed of.

All that had to be done to accomplish this is to give it a veneer of cheap consumerism and a patina of false freedom.
Yes, this^^

Cissy
12-09-2014, 10:12 PM

This. I can't think of any way that no person in America can technically claim to be 100% law abiding. If the State has sufficient interest in you, they'll find something, no matter how insignificant.