PDA

View Full Version : The System Isn’t Going to Fix Itself—It’s Time for Us to Police the Police

Anti Federalist
12-06-2014, 10:54 PM
I appreciate the sentiment, but...

He admits that cops kill us with impunity while on camera, what is taking more pictures of them going to do?

And, while skewed that way, this is not black and white, it is blue vs. all of us.

The System Isn’t Going to Fix Itself—It’s Time for Us to Police the Police

http://www.wired.com/2014/12/declaration-interdepedence/

BY RON J. WILLIAMS 12.06.14 | 6:00 AM | PERMALINK

The system has failed us. Or perhaps it’s finally been given a chance to assert the truth we didn’t want to hear: black lives don’t matter as much as others to those in power. And that truth has been writ large this year. It has been underscored by the sheer unbelievability of the circumstances under which black men and boys may be killed without consequence. Without justice. Without even so much as a trial to shed light on the murky corners of witness retellings and police misremembering … even if only to exonerate wrongly accused good cops.

Lethal force for non-felony offenses? No problem. Illegal use of lethal force on an unarmed man? No problem. Lack of clear and present mortal danger? No problem. It is officially open season and even with a camera in your face recording you killing another human you’re safe from justice.

These faces of black boys killed by cops in this country haunt me. They’re my face at 15, 19, 21 and maybe even now.

But for some of us, maybe it doesn’t feel that personal. So I want to know what we will all do when it is not somebody else’s black boy or man, but yours. Your best friend. Your first love. Your husband. Your bi-racial son. Your godfather. Your co-worker. Your boss. Your professor. Your exceptional negro. Your pedigreed, successful, totally approachable, fairly reasonable wouldn’t hurt-a-fly black men.

Yes, I’m talking to ALL of us.

I’m talking to my amazing friends who poured into Times Square last night. To my hacker friends PMing me to say they’re ready to scream and want to build something to do something to stop something to start something to shut this fucking madness down. And I’m even talking to my people who’ve gotten on planes to get on the ground to be the change and support in #Ferguson. I love you all. And I’m asking. #WhatifItWasMe? What would you be willing to do after? What would you be willing to do to prevent that?

And I’m also talking to my Facebook posters who’ve been playing devil’s advocate and want to talk about stolen Swisher cigars. And I’m talking to the folks who advocate for cops and say it’s a tough job. No shit. Still no carte blanche justification for lethal force. System still broken. Right now I love you a little less but I’m talking to you too and want to love you again. #WhatifItWasMe? What would you say? What would you do?

I could share stories. I could share the many times I’ve been stopped by cops as both a stupid teenager and a (slightly less—I hope) stupid adult. I could tell you how a transit officer threatened to put a “9mm hole in my lung” for asking him why he was stopping me at 14. I could tell you about the time an officer misunderstood a large vocabulary word (guilty as charged for verbal flexing) I used in explaining that I didn’t know about a skateboard rule…which resulted in him repeating it incorrectly back to me and threatening to take me downtown for disrespecting him.

One misstep. One wrong answer. One wrong mood. And I wouldn’t have been your college roommate, friend, frienemy, lover, collaborator, wolfpacker, husband, uncle, boyfriend, best friend, imperfect friend. Your Ron J. It could have been me.

And it’s not like I haven’t been glass half full guy. I happily extolled Obama’s bodycams push two days ago and said “step in the right direction!” And a scant 24 hours later I was sitting on my couch talking to my wife dejectedly after Eric Garner’s murder (the coroner called it that) wasn’t ruled questionable enough to even see a courtroom. I was feeling spun out and hopeless for our country and for all the black children we haven’t lost yet but probably will.
And I felt it. I’d given up on the system. I’d finally heard the empirical statement of truth loud and clear: those in positions of power, those charged with protecting me and my family, don’t value my life as much as they might value yours. Or yours. And I was distraught.

But then I realized something important: I’ve got you. And you’ve got me. And we’ve got them. And we all have each other.

If we can’t trust the system to police itself in this most important of civic duties, then why wait for the system at all? If the mandate of protection and inalienable rights has been corrupted, why waste time hoping for change from the top when the very foundation of this country is about people powered revolution to thwart tyranny. We don’t need to shoot with guns. We need to shoot with cameras. We don’t need to break store windows. We need to capture as much truth as possible. We need to watch the watchers. We need to police the police and I need your help.

What would police accountability look like if collectively we could capture the movements of every single patrol from the time they rolled off the lot for their shift to the time they rolled back in. What if the state could never again say, “well, we don’t know what happened off camera,” or “we don’t have the full context.” What if we always had the “full picture”?

What if you had one job any time you saw a cop: smile politely, pull out your phone, press record from the moment you see them until they’re out of frame. And with EVERYONE doing this, what if those videos (geotagged and time stamped) could be stitched together into a cogent narrative that helped us celebrate the heroes who do protect us and expose the bad apples who dishonor the badge and kill our black men and boys? Hard? Sure. Impossible? No. This is possible. This is happening.

In fact, Copwatch.org in NYC is already doing great work to build community around holding the police accountable, but with your help, I want to go further. The aim of what I’m calling “The Little Brother Project” is to crowdsource 24-hour surveillance of the police to paint the full picture of what’s happening on our streets. And the police can be a part of it, too. Since whatever we build will first and foremost be tackling stitching together time stamped media, in theory, when local police departments are ready it should be easy to fold in footage from their bodycams, too. In less than 24 hours we’ve already amassed an all-star group of builders, activists and allies committed to the cause.

This is it. This is the moment where we collectively decide to do more EVERY SINGLE day to change the game and stack the deck in favor of justice. We do this together or not at all. Where the forefathers declared independence from a foreign tyranny, I make this declaration of Interdependence to combat the lethal domestic threat that is killing our black men and boys. I can’t wait for change behind the blue wall.

And we black men can’t get polite enough fast enough to guarantee our safety. We can’t do this alone. We need all of you especially those of you NOT under constant threat to commit to being active allies. We need each other to protect those rights supposedly endowed by the Creator to us all.

“We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.—That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, —That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.” — The Founding Fathers

Allies, devil’s advocates, and those who generally want less people being killed, can I depend on you to take action? The time for clicktivism and passive disapproval of a broken system is past. Together we will save my life and lives of hundreds you know and love and thousands you don’t. If the system won’t change, we’ll change the rules of engagement inside the system. Will you declare interdependence with me?

Occam's Banana
12-07-2014, 12:20 AM
And a scant 24 hours later I was sitting on my couch talking to my wife dejectedly after Eric Garner’s murder (the coroner called it that) wasn’t ruled questionable enough to even see a courtroom.

The coroner called it "homicide," not "murder" - there's a difference.

All murders are homicides. Not all homicides are murders.

Gunny was talking about this particular corruption of English in another thread.

Schifference
12-07-2014, 01:09 AM
Heart attacks are not generally classified as homicide. They might be if a person with a weak heart felt scared or threatened by a mundane. Then a prosecutor and GJ would probably agree that the person with the weak heart would still be alive had they not gotten excited due to the situation caused by the mundane. The old saying you can not have it both ways does not apply to those that perceive that they have power.

Gunny was talking about this particular corruption of English in another thread.

PaulConventionWV
12-07-2014, 09:49 AM
We need more of this to start happening:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41VLtc-V9ws

PaulConventionWV
12-07-2014, 09:58 AM

I believe he was using the word 'murder' to make a point.

Working Poor
12-07-2014, 10:08 AM
This is my recommendation for police:

Maybe Law enforcement officers need to have a special license that allows them the privilege to by some real fancy and expensive malpractice insurance so if they shoot someone the community does not have to foot the bill and if their insurance gets canceled because of their high risk they loose their job and their license. How is that one for a liberal solution? :^)

presence
12-07-2014, 10:13 AM
Its time?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-f0Js9SB1ZoE/UlTRX12QcfI/AAAAAAAAD_c/CXSczqUlL8w/s1600/ThePatriot-%27Hawk-05-400-sg.gif

limequat
12-07-2014, 10:18 AM
Its time?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-f0Js9SB1ZoE/UlTRX12QcfI/AAAAAAAAD_c/CXSczqUlL8w/s1600/ThePatriot-%27Hawk-05-400-sg.gif

It won't be time until a majority of people are so miserable that they'd rather risk their lives than suffer another moment of tyranny.

limequat
12-07-2014, 10:21 AM
This is my recommendation for police:

Maybe Law enforcement officers need to have a special license that allows them the privilege to by some real fancy and expensive malpractice insurance so if they shoot someone the community does not have to foot the bill and if their insurance gets canceled because of their high risk they loose their job and their license. How is that one for a liberal solution? :^)

The removal of qualified immunity is one idea that is actually feasible and could actually help matters. Rand Paul has spoken in favor of this.

Long term, police need to be abolished completely. What are police but the violent arm of the state?

limequat
12-07-2014, 10:23 AM
We need more of this to start happening:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41VLtc-V9ws

In the end, that guy probably got several days in jail, is probably unemployable, and probably lives off welfare now. The cop may have suffered a scratch and hardened his resolve.
I appreciate the enthusiasm, but next time...well, as long as that cop goes home to his family every night the status quo is maintained.

tod evans
12-07-2014, 10:31 AM
The removal of qualified immunity is one idea that is actually feasible and could actually help matters. Rand Paul has spoken in favor of this.

Long term, police need to be abolished completely. What are police but the violent arm of the state?

I'm of the opinion that the current system of "Just-Us" is beyond repair and energies spent applying patches are only prolonging the inevitable....

presence
12-07-2014, 10:51 AM
It won't be time until a majority of people are so miserable that they'd rather risk their lives than suffer another moment of tyranny.

Irate and tireless is all it takes homie.

TheTexan
12-07-2014, 10:55 AM
Maybe that's why the SWLOD's haven't been working. They needed pictures.

LibForestPaul
12-07-2014, 11:14 AM

You mean a majority of whites are scared of blue than black. Takes time. Need a few more mothers and daughters and fathers getting choked, tazed, and murdered.

tod evans
12-07-2014, 11:18 AM
You mean a majority of whites are scared of blue than black. Takes time. Need a few more mothers and daughters and fathers getting choked, tazed, and murdered.

Federal #'s

http://www.bop.gov/about/statistics/statistics_inmate_race.jsp

Race # of Inmates % of Inmates
Asian 3,268 1.5%
Black 79,835 37.4%
Native American 4,001 1.9%
White 126,325 59.2%

PaulConventionWV
12-07-2014, 01:33 PM
In the end, that guy probably got several days in jail, is probably unemployable, and probably lives off welfare now. The cop may have suffered a scratch and hardened his resolve.
I appreciate the enthusiasm, but next time...well, as long as that cop goes home to his family every night the status quo is maintained.

I know what you mean, but I think I'm going to keep my mouth shut for now.

muh_roads
12-07-2014, 01:46 PM

People taking sniper positions at the Bundy Ranch was impressive. The Government knew if any citizen there was killed that would've raised a lot of new questions and anger leading to something else, potentially.

Organization via the internet has proven to work in some capacity. Maybe people can already do this with Twitter, but a popular website with a liberty focus that helps fellow citizens stand-up with fellow citizens could potentially be very successful. e.g. Broadcasting to others when the IRS is about to evict someone.

limequat
12-07-2014, 05:03 PM
People taking sniper positions at the Bundy Ranch was impressive. The Government knew if any citizen there was killed that would've raised a lot of new questions and anger leading to something else, potentially.

Organization via the internet has proven to work in some capacity. Maybe people can already do this with Twitter, but a popular website with a liberty focus that helps fellow citizens stand-up with fellow citizens could potentially be very successful. e.g. Broadcasting to others when the IRS is about to evict someone.

Agreed. They Bundy Ranch standoff reminded us that unarmed protests are just graveling at the feet of our masters.

Occam's Banana
12-07-2014, 05:30 PM
I believe he was using the word 'murder' to make a point.

He very clearly said that the coroner called it murder. The coroner did not do any such thing.

If the author wants to call it murder in order to make a point, that's fine. But he presents the matter as if he's merely repeating the coroner's conclusion. This indicates that rather than trying to make some kind of point, he is simply confused about the difference between "homicide" and "murder."