PDA

View Full Version : Rand Paul is right about police brutality: our laws are a huge part of the problem

jct74
12-06-2014, 01:06 PM
Rand Paul is right about police brutality: our laws are a huge part of the problem
The police don't get their authority from nowhere

By T.C. Sottek
December 6, 2014 12:00 pm

Protests for police reform are sweeping the United States following the deaths of Eric Garner, Michael Brown, Tamir Rice, and an untold number of other unarmed or innocent people of color. Amid the anger and sadness one thing is clear: policing in America is a huge and complex problem. It's also a historical problem. As Tai-Nehisi Coates observed in The Atlantic, the insane incarceration rate of blacks in this country is part of a long tradition; "America's entire history is marked by the state imposing unfreedom on a large swath of the African American population."

That tradition is as deep and as old as our revered constitution. The condition of possibility of America's existence was a racist compromise baked into our founding document. We're a country founded by people who declared forcefully that "all men are created equal" as a self-evident fact, and then twelve years later declared that black slaves were only worth three-fifths of free white men because it was the only way to convince the people who owned them to join the union. The chokehold on people of color in America is written in ink. And it has always been about property.

So, perhaps ironically, I find myself sympathetic to the words of a southern white man, Senator Rand Paul. Listen to what he said when he was asked this week about Eric Garner's death on MSNBC.

read more:
http://www.theverge.com/2014/12/6/7343613/eric-garner-michael-brown-rand-paul-police-reform

WD-NY
12-06-2014, 03:41 PM
Nice! The Verge is HUGE with the under 35 demo :cool:

Henry Rogue
12-07-2014, 07:54 PM
From article.
But if there's one dominant specter of totalitarianism in the United States, it's the war on drugs.*
I would add the war on guns.

GunnyFreedom
12-07-2014, 08:43 PM
Few things piss me off more than hearing the wingnut left cite the 'three fifths' provision like's it's racist. The 3/5 provision was created entirely to force an end to slavery one day, by reducing the Congressional representation of those States who accept chattel slavery. It was one of the more brilliant anti-racist things that was ever done in the 18th century over the entire planet, and these goobers are gonna misconstrue the hell out of it. It pisses me off.

GunnyFreedom
12-07-2014, 08:53 PM
Just sent an email to the Author. TBH I doubt he cares, but it had to be said:

Your article contains an error of severe misconstruction.

Although I enjoyed your article "Rand Paul is right about police brutality: our laws are a huge part of the problem," I have to take issue with something you have horribly misconstrued. The three-fifths provision in the original Constitution was not racist. It was, in fact, one of the more brilliant anti-racist acts of the entire 18th century.

The measure was designed to reduce the representation in Congress of ANY State who accepts slavery. Some 85% of the Framers opposed slavery, but several also represented States who would not join the Union if slavery were outlawed entirely. The slavers wanted slaves counted at 100% and the anti-slavers wanted slaves counted at 0%. Rather than form the new nation without the slave states altogether, they created the 3/5 "Great Compromise" in order to bring the slaver states in while dramatically limiting their representation in order to eventually force slavery to an end. Which, it ultimately did, considering that half the reasons for the Civil War were economic based on Congressional representation.

Citing the 3/5 position as though it were a racist measure does a great injustice tot he anti-slavers in 1789 who fought for this provision with the hopes of using it to abolish slavery forever.

GunnyFreedom
12-07-2014, 10:25 PM
Hey, the author made a correction to the article behind my email. It's not 100% but it is a lot better than the original.

cindy25
12-07-2014, 10:36 PM
agree as far as he goes, but its more than law, its cultural. since 911 government has been given a pass on almost everything.

lib3rtarian
12-08-2014, 08:49 AM
They changed the title of the article and removed Rand's name from it.