PDA

View Full Version : Rep. Justin Amash says police arresting Eric Garner used 'clearly excessive force'

jct74
12-06-2014, 08:53 AM
Rep. Justin Amash says police arresting Eric Garner used 'clearly excessive force'

By Andrew Krietz
on December 04, 2014 at 12:54 PM

GRAND RAPIDS, MI The action taken by a New York City police officer against Eric Garner is "clear," writes U.S. Rep. Justin Amash on Wednesday.

The Cascade Township Republican is one of several lawmakers tweeting in disappointment following a grand jury's decision not to indict the police officer who wrapped his arm around Garner's neck and placed him in a chokehold on July 17.

The incident was captured on video, showing Garner talking with police as they suspected him of selling tax-free cigarettes. The 43-year-old man then is overcome by officers who take him down to the sidewalk. Garner cried out, "I can't breathe," several times before becoming motionless.

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2014/12/rep_justin_amash_says_police_a.html

jmdrake
12-06-2014, 09:08 AM
http://images6.fanpop.com/image/photos/32900000/Like-A-Boss-the-assassins-32931161-960-625.jpg

goldwater's ghost
12-06-2014, 04:58 PM
i think this is an area where libertarians really have to choose their words carefully. the man had thirty prior arrests. the man sold illegal cigarettes outside a store who called in the cops to get him removed. the man clearly was resisting arrest. the man was huge and the cops were midgets. now its a tragedy that someone died over cigarettes but what is a cop to do when a suspect resists arrest. taser? he had a heart problem. we might have the same result. pepper spray? the guy had asthma. we might have the same result. the choke seemed to me to be acceptable and not excessive and only used to get the handcuffs on the guy. it didnt last that long. ive seen far worse and if you are saying i cant breathe, it means you are breathing. try to talk when you really cant breathe. this is a guy who died in the ambulance of a heart attack, not on the street of asphyxiation. we cant have our politicians telling law enforcement they cant act if a citizen refuses to go along

i think there are plenty of better examples of police abuse and brutality that we could use. this is just a really bad example to use because it is not clear the cop was in the wrong and the grand jury said as much

roho76
12-06-2014, 05:07 PM
^^^
The man had 30 prior arrests because the cops kept arresting him over stupid shit like this. The pastor in Florida has multiple arrests because he kept feeding the poor. Being arrested does not make you a criminal to anybody but the people arresting you and their counterparts on down the line who's livelihood depends on arresting people over mundane victimless crimes.

jmdrake
12-06-2014, 05:23 PM
i think this is an area where libertarians really have to choose their words carefully. the man had thirty prior arrests. the man sold illegal cigarettes outside a store who called in the cops to get him removed. the man clearly was resisting arrest. the man was huge and the cops were midgets. now its a tragedy that someone died over cigarettes but what is a cop to do when a suspect resists arrest. taser? he had a heart problem. we might have the same result. pepper spray? the guy had asthma. we might have the same result. the choke seemed to me to be acceptable and not excessive and only used to get the handcuffs on the guy. it didnt last that long. ive seen far worse and if you are saying i cant breathe, it means you are breathing. try to talk when you really cant breathe. this is a guy who died in the ambulance of a heart attack, not on the street of asphyxiation. we cant have our politicians telling law enforcement they cant act if a citizen refuses to go along

i think there are plenty of better examples of police abuse and brutality that we could use. this is just a really bad example to use because it is not clear the cop was in the wrong and the grand jury said as much

The man was not being violent.

The police had been barred from using a choke hold.

The midget cop was clearly using a choke hold.

The asthma argument is stupid as the coroner's report is that Mr. Garner died from neck and chest compression.

EVEN FREAKING GEORGE DUBYA BUSH THINKS THERE IS A PROBLEM THAT THE COP WAS NOT INDICTED.

Sorry but any libertarian who doesn't take a clear stand on this isn't a libertarian or is a coward.

goldwater's ghost
12-06-2014, 09:17 PM
i'm against the taxes on cigarettes that new york imposed under bloomberg. as soon as they went into effect they created the black market this guy was a part of just like the stupid drug laws. but if you're part of a black market you had better understand that getting arrested comes with the territory. i hear alot of what is wrong with what the cop did but i dont hear what he should have done differently. you cant be outraged by this unless you have a better solution. cops have to be safe too otherwise you'll have a police force of 16 people, all of them psychos. how do you want a police officer to act when someone resists arrest? would you prefer he gets beat with a baton? should the cops pull their guns out? tazer? pepper spray? let him go?

kcchiefs6465
12-07-2014, 01:26 PM
i'm against the taxes on cigarettes that new york imposed under bloomberg. as soon as they went into effect they created the black market this guy was a part of just like the stupid drug laws. but if you're part of a black market you had better understand that getting arrested comes with the territory. i hear alot of what is wrong with what the cop did but i dont hear what he should have done differently. you cant be outraged by this unless you have a better solution. cops have to be safe too otherwise you'll have a police force of 16 people, all of them psychos. how do you want a police officer to act when someone resists arrest? would you prefer he gets beat with a baton? should the cops pull their guns out? tazer? pepper spray? let him go?
Far as I can see, he was lawfully resisting an attempted kidnapping.

What should the police do? How about, develop moral compasses, retire and reject any and all benefits, find real jobs, and try their best to quell their often sociopathic tendencies while leading good and productive lives? That's a gut buster, huh?

phill4paul
12-07-2014, 01:42 PM
the man was huge and the cops were midgets.

Sounds legit.

http://www.stripersonline.com/content/type/61/id/1820442/flags/LL

Brian4Liberty
12-07-2014, 01:57 PM
Amash's actual Tweet:

IMHO, "unjustified" (for the situation) would be a key word to include in there. The authorities will say that the force used was just following procedure. They can't say that it was justified though. Much harder case for them to make.