PDA

View Full Version : Politico: Kentucky black leaders v. Rand Paul

NACBA
12-05-2014, 07:11 AM
Did outreach begin only after his presidential prospects bloomed?
http://images.politico.com/global/2014/12/04/141204_randrace_gty_1160_1160x629.jpg

Over the past year-and-a-half, Sen. Rand Paul has spoken at historically black colleges, gathered with African American leaders in Ferguson, Missouri after the shooting of Michael Brown, and criticized a justice system he says unfairly targets minorities. His message is unmistakable: I’m a different kind of Republican who’s not afraid to engage with communities that typically vote for Democrats.

Yet in 2010, when he was a long-shot tea party candidate for Senate, and during his first two years in the job, Paul was rarely seen or heard from in Kentucky’s African American community, according to interviews with more than a dozen black leaders in the Bluegrass State, including seven of the eight African American state legislators. Indeed, his much-publicized courtship has occurred almost entirely as the Republican began plotting a potential run for president.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2014/12/rand-pauls-selective-engagement-113339.html#ixzz3Kw0Id4OG

jmdrake
12-05-2014, 07:17 AM
Yeah....better late than never. If the "He didn't talk to us soon enough" argument is the best some people can come up with then this isn't a problem.

NACBA
12-05-2014, 07:19 AM
Yeah....better late than never. If the "He didn't talk to us soon enough" argument is the best some people can come up with then this isn't a problem.

Exactly

CaptUSA
12-05-2014, 07:26 AM
To be fair, I know he's said this, or variations, many, many times:

"I think in the Republican Party, the biggest mistake we've made in the last several decades is we haven't gone into the African-American community, into the NAACP and say you know what, we are concerned about what's going on in your cities and we have plans. They may be different than the Democrats, but we do have plans and we do want to help."http://www.cbsnews.com/news/rand-paul-gops-biggest-mistake-was-not-courting-black-voters/

RonPaulFanInGA
12-05-2014, 07:38 AM
Paul got something like 32% of the black vote in Kentucky in 2010. Granted, that probably comes out to about 32 votes, but it's still a higher percentage than most Republican U.S. Senators can claim to have received.

NACBA
12-05-2014, 08:30 AM
Paul got something like 32% of the black vote in Kentucky in 2010. Granted, that probably comes out to about 32 votes, but it's still a higher percentage than most Republican U.S. Senators can claim to have received.

Good point

jct74
12-05-2014, 08:45 AM

I thought it was like 13% or something, that doesn't sound right. I know there was a recent presidential poll in Kentucky where he polled that high though.

Vanguard101
12-05-2014, 08:10 PM
32 percent doesn't sound right

idiom
12-05-2014, 10:13 PM
The black state representatives are saying they have never heard from him.

These are the guys that could swing a vote to let Rand run at two levels.

Beyond that it would build a more guenuine track record if he had a brunch with these guys or something.

Jamesiv1
12-05-2014, 10:34 PM
Beyond that it would build a more genuine track record if he had a brunch with these guys or something.
Afternoon tea - and Rand should wear some Rick Perry glasses and a Hillary wig - and pass out a few pair to attendees. Priceless.

the Noze Brotherhood lives on.

Tyreez
12-06-2014, 02:11 PM
As an African-American myself I got nothing but respect for Rand Paul. Don't care what yall Kentucky "black leaders" say about him, dude's real. He tells it how it is. He's willing to go to the hood and all the other places where Republicans aren't at and tell em what he has to say. These dudes ain't black leaders, they're Dem politicians that want to keep blacks on the welfare plantation.

RandallFan
12-06-2014, 03:34 PM
32 percent doesn't sound right

That doesn't sound right. Sounds like triple or double the amount any Republican has got since Nixon. I thinking he may have won by 20 points if that was the case. Kentucky registered voters would be 97% white.

juleswin
12-06-2014, 04:05 PM

At some point the partisan spirit of these folks are going to kick in. Remember, a lot of people (even a few people here) are still very partisan. They would kick a gift horse in the mouth if its not wearing the right colors. As they say, the journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step. Let they criticize the first step all they want, they would look like fools once the journey really gets going.

philipped
12-06-2014, 07:15 PM
As an African-American myself I got nothing but respect for Rand Paul. Don't care what yall Kentucky "black leaders" say about him, dude's real. He tells it how it is. He's willing to go to the hood and all the other places where Republicans aren't at and tell em what he has to say. These dudes ain't black leaders, they're Dem politicians that want to keep blacks on the welfare plantation.
WUDDUP BROTHER TYREEZ! Welcome to RPF.

TheTyke
12-06-2014, 08:00 PM
The black state representatives are saying they have never heard from him.

These are the guys that could swing a vote to let Rand run at two levels.

Beyond that it would build a more guenuine track record if he had a brunch with these guys or something.

Realize in KY they are all Democrats. They will toe the party line and attack Rand or the party will cut their funding and make them pay. But regardless, in KY, it will be a randslide in the general election, and there's nothing these state reps can do to stop it.

Tywysog Cymru
12-06-2014, 08:24 PM

For the record, African Americans make up about 8% of the population of Kentucky. They are mostly concentrated in Louisville and the Western part of the state.

RonPaulMall
12-08-2014, 08:11 AM
That doesn't sound right. Sounds like triple or double the amount any Republican has got since Nixon. I thinking he may have won by 20 points if that was the case. Kentucky registered voters would be 97% white.

I don't think he go that much in his initial run either, but popular Southern Republicans getting 30% of the black vote in the South is not unheard of. Strom Thurmond always got at least 30%. So it isn't inconceivable that Rand will be able to reach 30 or at least 20 percent in his re-election bid. In generic R vs D matchups R's get crushed among blacks but once you are in office and people get to know you that number can improve if you have the right sort of personality.

Tyreez
12-08-2014, 12:56 PM
WUDDUP BROTHER TYREEZ! Welcome to RPF.

What is up ma brother, thanks fo the welcome man. All this police shit goin on the streets brought me on here. RPF is like the ground zero of cop abuses, ya feel me?

philipped
12-08-2014, 01:04 PM
What is up ma brother, thanks fo the welcome man. All this police shit goin on the streets brought me on here. RPF is like the ground zero of cop abuses, ya feel me?

Yeah I feel you dude. I heard about this website during Ron Paul2012, I only came on as a guest. Once I saw an article about a Rand Paul 2016 I joined the site and I've been here ever since. We gotta make sure more of us get off of that "liberal plantation" dude. It's not gonna be easy but I'm working on it here in South Florida. I hate using that term to describe it but it somehow fits so I used to go on other forums but as my interest in saving our republic grows I frequent other forums less and less.

Tyreez
12-08-2014, 01:29 PM
Yeah I feel you dude. I heard about this website during Ron Paul2012, I only came on as a guest. Once I saw an article about a Rand Paul 2016 I joined the site and I've been here ever since. We gotta make sure more of us get off of that "liberal plantation" dude. It's not gonna be easy but I'm working on it here in South Florida. I hate using that term to describe it but it somehow fits so I used to go on other forums but as my interest in saving our republic grows I frequent other forums less and less.
Rand Paul's a stand up dude. He don't give a fuck what any o these racist overseers in both parties be sayin. That felon bill, mandatory minimum bill, freedom zones, education reform...rand's got the ideas to lift our people out of poverty man, he's gonna bring bout real change man, I ain't surprised more and more brothers are supportin him. Hillary don't give a fuck bout black people. She only want us on the plantation so we work her ass off for her while she sell us to China through the Fed.

georgiaboy
12-08-2014, 01:33 PM
At some point the partisan spirit of these folks are going to kick in. Remember, a lot of people (even a few people here) are still very partisan. They would kick a gift horse in the mouth if its not wearing the right colors. As they say, the journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step. Let they criticize the first step all they want, they would look like fools once the journey really gets going.
Please, Lord in Heaven, bring forth fiscally conservative Democrats to fuse with Rand Paul Republicans. I will cross over in a heartbeat.
Let them support Rand's 5 year budget plans.

Person over party.

jmdrake
12-08-2014, 02:17 PM

I thought it was like 13% or something, that doesn't sound right. I know there was a recent presidential poll in Kentucky where he polled that high though.

According to CNN exit polls, blacks made up 6% of the KY electorate and Rand Paul got 13% of the black vote.

See: http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2010/results/polls/#val=KYS01p1

That's pretty good considering 1) blacks usually vote democrat in higher percentages than 86% (seems 1% voted "other") and 2) the recent controversy over Rand Paul's remarks regarding the Civil Rights Act. I suspect Rand will get even higher marks in Kentucky and decent marks nationwide. If Rand is nominated to run for president and pulls anywhere near 13% of the black vote, Hillary (or whomever the democrats run) is DOA.

jmdrake
12-08-2014, 02:25 PM
Rand Paul's a stand up dude. He don't give a fuck what any o these racist overseers in both parties be sayin. That felon bill, mandatory minimum bill, freedom zones, education reform...rand's got the ideas to lift our people out of poverty man, he's gonna bring bout real change man, I ain't surprised more and more brothers are supportin him. Hillary don't give a fuck bout black people. She only want us on the plantation so we work her ass off for her while she sell us to China through the Fed.

I hear ya! I hope Rand will go to Chicago soon and meet with some of these disgruntled black voters (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?460812-Black-Chicago-residents-against-Obama-and-Rahm-Emmanuel&highlight=chicago) who are tired of what they've gotten from Obama and Chicago democrats and ready to embrace free market ideas. He could talk about how the drug war if fueling a lot of the Chicago murders as well. It would be epic to see Rand call Obama to task for ignoring his own back yard. And Hillary has already been taken to task for not saying squat about police brutality when Rand took the lead on meeting with community activists (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?463843-I-Applaud-Hillary-for-Visiting-Ferguson-and-Meeting-Al-Sharpton-Oh-Wait-That-Was-Rand-Paul&highlight=Hillary+Rand+Ferguson).

CaptainAmerica
12-08-2014, 02:48 PM
Rand needs to stop playing the game and speak the truth now is not the time to be dodging subjects with nicey nice talk about militarized police state issues. The statement he made about a tax putting cops into a difficult position is not the right kind of answer...that's deception...when it comes down to it ,its between people who believe in the value of life and respect freedom and those who value only money. PERIOD. The cops know right from wrong, they are individuals they have the ability to refuse a wrong order, or wrong policy but the fact that they didn't just shows they are fully to blame along with the politician who pushed for that law.Its a great misstep for Rand to play nice ,hes only sounding like a fool to millions of people who saw what happened, and if he continues to water down the situation hes not going to get those votes let alone convince anyone he really knows what the problems are

Matt Collins
12-08-2014, 07:38 PM
Black population map:

http://udel.edu/~phend/frec480/images/qntblacks.png

XNavyNuke
12-08-2014, 10:07 PM
And it's maps like the one above which explains why politicians and their sycophants are utter idiots. There is no legend to tell you what it means. As you can see from the map, both Jefferson county Mississippi and Brevard county Florida are the darkest red color. Jefferson county is ~85% black based on the 2000 Census. Brevard county is only 10% from the same census.

Let's look at this map.
http://www.prisonersofthecensus.org/images/Z6co4d.png

Note how it has this little thing in the lower left corner. That is called a "legend". Can you say legend? I knew you could.

For the race baiters, notice how the original slave states generally have the lower incarceration rate? I wonder why that is. Hmm.

XNN

idiom
12-08-2014, 10:35 PM
Rand needs to stop playing the game and speak the truth now is not the time to be dodging subjects with nicey nice talk about militarized police state issues. The statement he made about a tax putting cops into a difficult position is not the right kind of answer...that's deception...when it comes down to it ,its between people who believe in the value of life and respect freedom and those who value only money. PERIOD. The cops know right from wrong, they are individuals they have the ability to refuse a wrong order, or wrong policy but the fact that they didn't just shows they are fully to blame along with the politician who pushed for that law.Its a great misstep for Rand to play nice ,hes only sounding like a fool to millions of people who saw what happened, and if he continues to water down the situation hes not going to get those votes let alone convince anyone he really knows what the problems are

Is America ready to elect a guy who declares he wants to end the war on drugs, and blame cops for their actions?

Rand would have to go full civil rights leader.

I know half of his staff have the brains and the balls to go for something like that.... but the rest want a nice safe playbook they can hang their hats on in 2020 and say 'well I did a pretty good job in 2016, pity about the candidate'

And by civil rights I don't just mean black civil rights. The right to privacy, the right to work, the right to import bloody sugar. The right to immigrate legally even. The right to keep your savings, the right to a stable currency. The right to not get shot like a dog in the street by a civil servant.