PDA

View Full Version : A "Profound" interview w/ Rand Paul on Hardball (12/3/2014)

WD-NY
12-03-2014, 06:49 PM
Going on now - will update with YouTube when posted.

Topics include war and Eric Gardner verdict

Chris Matthews has been waiting to interview Rand for months and seems super excited about this "exclusive". This could produce some fantastic 'highlight reel' soundbites :)

update:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mkk1ZtfG40E

philipped
12-03-2014, 07:04 PM
Just missed it...hope the Tube sounds come soon.

Krugminator2
12-03-2014, 07:26 PM
http://www.msnbc.com/hardball/watch/paul-on-eric-garner--i--blame-the-politicians--366901315655

Profound.

cocrehamster
12-03-2014, 08:25 PM
It was a great interview. Chris Matthews is a great non enemy for Rand to have, and you can tell he really respects Rand; earlier in his show he was hyping it as an "exclusive" interview.

seapilot
12-03-2014, 08:28 PM
Great interview. Though cant stand Mathews interview style asking 10 questions in one. What do ya think of our invading Iraq 2 times, Libya, blah blah blah....why are conservatives more hawkish than the democrats??? Rand sure can focus.

Crashland
12-03-2014, 08:32 PM
Great interview. Though cant stand Mathews interview style asking 10 questions in one. What do ya think of our invading Iraq 2 times, Libya, blah blah blah....why are conservatives more hawkish than the democrats??? Rand sure can focus.

Well, the 10 questions in one worked out this time because the answer to all of them was "hell no, we should have thought more before going in, and we're worse off now because of it"

philipped
12-03-2014, 08:50 PM
Rand really has been doing a great job with the media lately.

Crashland
12-03-2014, 09:07 PM
Chris Matthews is easy though, he is one of Rand's biggest fans in the MSM

Rede
12-03-2014, 09:20 PM
Rachel Maddow was nice to Rand before he won his Senate primary too.

Rand announced his Senate exploratory committee on the freaking Rachel Maddow show of all places. Then, immediately after winning his primary, Rand went on Maddow again - presumably for a victory lap - and Maddow did everything she could to try and make Rand look like a racist. That's still all partisan Democrats on the internet can talk about.

Chris Matthews has been saying nice things about Rand for some time. He predicted Rand would be the GOP nominee. I believe they were seated together or met at a dinner event and Matthews said nice things. And Matthews gave Rand a good interview here and let him get out his message without giving him much in the way of push back (even as Rand argued against things like cigarette taxation and blamed big government policy for the death of innocent black people by over-aggressive police officers).

I just don't see how you can trust anyone at MSNBC in any election against a Democrat though.

In the meantime, that interview seemed almost orchestrated entirely to make Rand play well with the MSNBC audience and highlight 'the divide' in the GOP. There were ABSOLUTELY ZERO hardball questions in that interview considering he was speaking to MSNBC's audience. (Irony.) I suspect they're trying to play up the GOP rift and Rand serves that role well as a good spokesman for the non-interventionist movement helping give it credibility. (He also probably draws viewership.) I wonder how much of that interview content (or lack of arguing against anything Rand said) was promised before Rand would agree to go on.

If you're trying to reach Democrats I suppose MSNBC is an avenue Rand can take to talk to left-leaning and younger voters if MSNBC is willing to offer up 'gimme' interviews... but I'm not sure you keep MSNBC's viewership on-board the second the primary is over and MSNBC talks about nothing but abortion, environmentalism and the CRA (assuming Rand wins, of course).

idiom
12-03-2014, 10:15 PM
Dividing the GOP is a risky strategy, if Rand loses, the liberty faction gets buried for a while. If Rand wins, the DNC gets buried for a long long time.

Inkblots
12-03-2014, 10:21 PM
Dividing the GOP is a risky strategy, if Rand loses, the liberty faction gets buried for a while. If Rand wins, the DNC gets buried for a long long time.

Fortuna favet audaci...

specsaregood
12-03-2014, 10:31 PM
Chris Matthews has been saying nice things about Rand for some time. He predicted Rand would be the GOP nominee. I believe they were seated together or met at a dinner event and Matthews said nice things. And Matthews gave Rand a good interview here and let him get out his message without giving him much in the way of push back (even as Rand argued against things like cigarette taxation and blamed big government policy for the death of innocent black people by over-aggressive police officers).

I just don't see how you can trust anyone at MSNBC in any election against a Democrat though.

You should go watch Matthews interview with randals Dem opponent in that senate race. Matthews not only defended Randal, but demo'd Conway.

Inkblots
12-03-2014, 10:35 PM
You should go watch Matthews interview with randals Dem opponent in that senate race. Matthews not only defended Randal, but demo'd Conway.

The look on Conway's face was priceless -- he never saw it coming. Matthews' sucker-punching the Conman is a cherished campaign memory for me; I definitely second the recommendation to watch the video.

orenbus
12-03-2014, 10:48 PM

anaconda
12-03-2014, 11:05 PM
"Family Court" for sexual abuse charges? :confused:

Bastiat's The Law
12-03-2014, 11:14 PM
"Hillary's war" haha

He's good.

Bastiat's The Law
12-03-2014, 11:29 PM

Someone needs to explain to Matthews the history of the progressive era. Progressives in both parties and some third parties (Bull Moose) pushed for foreign military intervention abroad.

Bastiat's The Law
12-03-2014, 11:31 PM

He virtually made Conway cry and look like a petulant child. It was hilarious.

Feelgood
12-04-2014, 12:15 AM
Did he get a tingle running up his leg?

twomp
12-04-2014, 01:56 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=jLTBHzhnzDw

full video:

http://www.msnbc.com/hardball

WD-NY
12-04-2014, 02:53 AM
Did he get a tingle running up his leg?

In all seriousness, DEFINITELY.

Specifically at the very end of the interview, the moment Rand kinda/sorta/almost choked up telling the story about the woman soldier he met last week...

"I meet women; I met a woman last week and she gave me her picture and it was her in fatigues and her with her weapon and she said she loved the military and she said that when you see Senator Gillibrand - and it chokes me up just thinking about it - she says when you see Senator Gillibrand give her this picture to show her that I'm proud of both me [Rand] and her [Gillibrand] for leading the effort on this."

For those saying they loathe Matthews (and/or think he's an evil partisan hack like Maddow), I honestly think that Matthews is going to be one of Rand's most vocal "supporters" in the MSM - certainly during the upcoming primaries and if it's Rand v. Clinton, quite possibly during the general.

Matthews, at his core, is one of the most honestly+openly+genuinely "political" talking heads on TV - and by "political" I mean, the only thing he really seems to care about, be interested in, respect and/or think matters is how a politician's actions, statements, positions, and personas play politically. And on this level, Matthews definitely has real/legitimate respect for Rand... because Rand plays the political game better than anyone else in Washington save Obama circa 2008.

Last but not least, Matthew's son is a "big fan" of Rand as well :)

jtap
12-04-2014, 09:05 AM
Garner's fault for being obese according to this congressman, Peter King. (http://news.yahoo.com/peter-king-eric-garner-obese-i-cant-breathe-video-044205429.html)

georgiaboy
12-04-2014, 09:16 AM
solid gold. Sounded like two rational Americans talking.

cero
12-04-2014, 11:50 AM
Garner's fault for being obese according to this congressman, Peter King. (http://news.yahoo.com/peter-king-eric-garner-obese-i-cant-breathe-video-044205429.html)

both rand and king are right imo

Vanguard101
12-04-2014, 01:43 PM
I thought he said he wasn't going back on MSNBC until Madcow apologized?

Brian4Liberty
12-04-2014, 04:34 PM
Full interview:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZiy_AWv4uA

Brian4Liberty
12-04-2014, 04:45 PM
Is Matthews coming around? ;)

I'd assume he agrees with Rand on all of those points, but he'd never endorse Rand over Hillary.

Good interview though.

CaptUSA
12-04-2014, 04:51 PM
Is Matthews coming around? ;)

I'd assume he agrees with Rand on all of those points, but he'd never endorse Rand over Hillary.

Good interview though.

Endorse??? Probably not.

But remember, Matthews does not like the Clintons. If Rand's in the general, Matthews will probably be pretty neutral. And that is a huge help since the left's fear-mongering is what drives their turnout.

twomp
12-04-2014, 05:48 PM
Endorse??? Probably not.

But remember, Matthews does not like the Clintons. If Rand's in the general, Matthews will probably be pretty neutral. And that is a huge help since the left's fear-mongering is what drives their turnout.

The left's fear-mongering isn't matched by the right's fear-mongering....

jmdrake
12-04-2014, 06:58 PM
http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/ee/ad/b8/eeadb86ea3c02220883b00ac4c801a7b.jpg

jmdrake
12-04-2014, 07:01 PM
both rand and king are right imo

Ummmm....what?

A) Anybody can be killed from being put in a rear naked choke and then having a bunch of grown man sitting on his chest.

B) Peter King is obese himself.

C) Don't mention the terrorist supporter (IRA) Peter King in the same breath as Rand Paul.

CPUd
12-04-2014, 07:26 PM
Endorse??? Probably not.

Matthews will probably be a "debate" moderator in the general election.

cero
12-04-2014, 07:40 PM
Ummmm....what?

A) Anybody can be killed from being put in a rear naked choke and then having a bunch of grown man sitting on his chest.

B) Peter King is obese himself.

C) Don't mention the terrorist supporter (IRA) Peter King in the same breath as Rand Paul.

black guy so 99.9% chance he votes democrat so he is prob in favor of more taxes and all that jazz
brings upon himself the laws that fuck him over
is caught breaking said laws
refuses arrest
struggle ensues dies because of it

100% his fault imo

CPUd
12-04-2014, 08:04 PM
black guy so 99.9% chance he votes democrat so he is prob in favor of more taxes and all that jazz
brings upon himself the laws that fuck him over
is caught breaking said laws
refuses arrest
struggle ensues dies because of it

100% his fault imo

I doubt he has ever registered to vote.

anaconda
12-06-2014, 09:23 PM
I thought he said he wasn't going back on MSNBC until Madcow apologized?

Even better - Matthews got to gloat at Maddow.