PDA

View Full Version : White House Response: Tea To D.C.

john_anderson_ii
12-03-2007, 11:26 AM
Ok, the phone centers and switchboards have been less than helpful, they did however, point me to this:

Gifts & Items Sent to the White House

Items sent to the White House often experience a significant delivery delay and can be irreparably harmed due to the security screening process. Therefore, please do not send items of personal importance, such as family photographs, because items may be unable to be returned.

We also request that gifts of a consumable nature, such as food, flowers, and other perishable items, not be sent to the White House due to the security screening process. While the President and Mrs. Bush and Vice President and Mrs. Cheney appreciate your thoughtfulness, they request that you look instead to your local community for opportunities to assist your neighbors in need.

Food & consumables should not be sent to the White House. We can send pictures of tea if we would like, or we can send tea to homeless kitchens or whatever.

The White House does not want us sending anything of a consumable nature there. If we send it there now, it will take a long time to get through the security screening process, and if we bog that down with a large volume of letters, there could be backlash. They will blame us for undermining the security processes of the White House, and bogging down their security staff.

That would tickle me pink, and I think it should be done regularly if we elect another terrorist fearing neocon. However, now it is not our wisest course of action. We need to change the direction on this quickly.

Stealth
12-03-2007, 11:34 AM
or we could send the tea to the white house earlier?

john_anderson_ii
12-03-2007, 11:39 AM
The White House has asked us to not send food there at all. Since that is their official position, I don't see how this will help Ron Paul anymore. I thought they would find it light hearted and with good humor. I don't think that will be case now that they have specifically stated that we should not be sending them food.

I can no longer support this idea unless we can turn it into something that does not involve anything that could be eaten or drank. The last thing we need to do is make enemies of the White House and give our enemies ammunition to use against us.

mavtek
12-03-2007, 11:43 AM
How about Tea plants or seeds?

DealzOnWheelz
12-03-2007, 11:44 AM
SEND PICTURES OF THE TEA BAGS

Thus maintainging the symbolism and strength behind the message without poisoning the desired effect with Tax payers money going to screen the tea bags

hawkeyenick
12-03-2007, 11:44 AM
The White House has asked us to not send food there at all. Since that is their official position, I don't see how this will help Ron Paul anymore. I thought they would find it light hearted and with good humor. I don't think that will be case now that they have specifically stated that we should not be sending them food.

I can no longer support this idea unless we can turn it into something that does not involve anything that could be eaten or drank. The last thing we need to do is make enemies of the White House and give our enemies ammunition to use against us.

We still need to send a message though.

Maybe a letter on the history of the tea party, with why we are doing it now...with a picture on a tea crate/bag at the bottom

paulitics
12-03-2007, 11:46 AM
Hear this guys, No food or beverage items in envelopes. Kudos to the original poster for finding out this important information.

john_anderson_ii
12-03-2007, 11:49 AM
We still need to send a message though.

Maybe a letter on the history of the tea party, with why we are doing it now...with a picture on a tea crate/bag at the bottom

I agree with sending a message. We are being taxed to the hilt and our views and opinions are not being represented by our Congress.

We can send a picture of a tea bag, or the wrapper that goes around the individually wrapped tea bags. It would also be wise to include a little note, as sending them pictures of food, or trash from food, might not make the little light bulb light up in their head.

I don't know, does anyone support this idea at all anymore?

paul_v
12-03-2007, 11:52 AM
Maybe the DC meetup group can accept the massive amount of Tea being mailed and then dump it off in front of the White House on Dec 16.

mosquitobite
12-03-2007, 11:53 AM
I still support sending tea as no matter what we do someone can claim to be a RP supporter and do something stupid. To live in that fear is to cave to government power or establishment status quo. I just don't think it sets a good precedent! What if we hadn't done Nov 5th because of the fear of the NEGATIVE?

But, even with that said, I posted a link to this thread to my meet up group. People there can decide on their own merits whether to send or not.

john_anderson_ii
12-03-2007, 11:55 AM
Maybe the DC meetup group can accept the massive amount of Tea being mailed and then dump it off in front of the White House on Dec 16.

Excellent idea. This is likely the best way to handle it. And they give a press release and the whole 9 yards. They can even "present" the accumulated tea of thousands of supporters to the white house, if they come on board.

In my opinion, this is the best idea so far. It won't be cheesy like pictures of tea, and it will offer little in the way of blowback from the White House.

Anyone from D.C. reading?

Paulitical Correctness
12-03-2007, 11:56 AM
Has nothing to do with "fear of government", it's just plain effin' stupid.

No reason to ask for trouble, and you all know damn well that's what this will bring.

michaelwise
12-03-2007, 11:57 AM
I agree with sending a message. We are being taxed to the hilt and our views and opinions are not being represented by our Congress.

We can send a picture of a tea bag, or the wrapper that goes around the individually wrapped tea bags. It would also be wise to include a little note, as sending them pictures of food, or trash from food, might not make the little light bulb light up in their head.

I don't know, does anyone support this idea at all anymore?An few empty teabags would probably be the best solution.
It would be very easy to cut the bottom of the tea bag and empty the contents before sending. the message would be just as effective. Someone will have to start a new thread and post a poll on this Idea to get the word out.

mfoley1
12-03-2007, 11:58 AM
fell free to send this pic to em...i can update or add more to it, lemme know!

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i132/mfoley2/Picture006b.jpg

me3
12-03-2007, 12:02 PM
It's hard not to follow this because there are so many threads on it.

And it's hard not to comment.

This is quite possibly one of the most poorly thought out, and least useful ideas I have seen on tihs forum, and in a free market of ideas by highly motivated and creative people with no barriers to entry to those lesser motivated or creative, that is saying a lot.

Instead of wasting time for cheap publicity, investing in tea when the campaign could use the finance, and now talking about wasting the time of the DC MeetUps, who should be up to their eyeballs in making sure Dr. Paul is actually on the ballot (at this time, he is not), why not do something productive, tangible and effective?

Protest is understandable when you are protesting for Dr. Paul. Using the forum and grassroots as a launching pad for non-campaign agendas doesn't sit right with me. Yes, we are trying to show up the federal government, BY GETTING DR.PAUL ELECTED. Not by giving them empty tea bags, or dumping tea in Washington.

paulitics
12-03-2007, 12:04 PM
An few empty teabags would probably be the best solution.
It would be very easy to cut the bottom of the tea bag and empty the contents before sending. the message would be just as effective. Someone will have to start a new thread and post a poll on this Idea to get the word out.

I don't think that will solve anything. Some of it will be left over in trace amounts, and the contents were tampered with, which will elicit the same response from the security. Actually the response can be worse than if it were unopened tea bags.

Godbag
12-03-2007, 12:05 PM
"It would be very easy to cut the bottom of the tea bag and empty the contents before sending. the message would be just as effective."

Problem Solved!!!!!!!!!!!!! No more arguements from me on this! Can we spread this to the same people who were notified of the original idea?!

edit: this should have been fucken obvious from the start as being a solution... im an idiot...

mosquitobite
12-03-2007, 12:07 PM

This is quite possibly one of the most poorly thought out, and least useful ideas I have seen on tihs forum, and in a free market of ideas by highly motivated and creative people with no barriers to entry to those lesser motivated or creative, that is saying a lot.

Instead of wasting time for cheap publicity, investing in tea when the campaign could use the finance, and now talking about wasting the time of the DC MeetUps, who should be up to their eyeballs in making sure Dr. Paul is actually on the ballot (at this time, he is not), why not do something productive, tangible and effective?

Protest is understandable when you are protesting for Dr. Paul. Using the forum and grassroots as a launching pad for non-campaign agendas doesn't sit right with me. Yes, we are trying to show up the federal government, BY GETTING DR.PAUL ELECTED. Not by giving them empty tea bags, or dumping tea in Washington.

The tea sent to Washington was to get VOCAL news reports on the subject of a TEA PARTY thereby increasing the Tea Party donations or at least get people to LOOK. I still think it's a genius idea. The American people know what the Tea Party is and what it stood for. Last I checked, it's what Ron Paul stands for.

People have a right to send tea to their government officials, and heck it IS Christmas time ;) I love tea!

davidkachel
12-03-2007, 12:10 PM
While you're at it, be sure to call all our members of Congress to ask them if they would be so kind as to stop ignoring the Constitution and to please give us back our liberty.

What did you think the white house was going to tell you; "sure, back the truck up!"?

"Oh please Mr. President, is it OK with you if we protest the way you're treating us?"

Since you're so terrified of these people you can't contemplate sending them a harmless tea bag, why not follow it through to the logical conclusion: send King George a check with a note requesting he use the money to expedite your national ID card!

freedominnumbers
12-03-2007, 12:21 PM
Why the heck should anyone care about sending a consumable. All they are saying is the president is never going to see it. And he definitely wont eat your family recipe holiday fruit cake.

I doubt the president is ever going to see empty teabags or pictures of teabags either. The point is in everyone at the whitehouse saying, " jeez, look at these 10 million letters with teabags in them" right before they drop them in the trash.

DrNoZone
12-03-2007, 12:24 PM
How about slicing open the tea bag, emptying it of all contents, and throwing in a Ron Paul button, taping the top shut, and then sending it in?

DrNoZone
12-03-2007, 12:25 PM

+10 million

bolidew
12-03-2007, 12:26 PM
Just send empty tea bags or wrappers. to make a point!

OferNave
12-03-2007, 01:01 PM
While you're at it, be sure to call all our members of Congress to ask them if they would be so kind as to stop ignoring the Constitution and to please give us back our liberty.

What did you think the white house was going to tell you; "sure, back the truck up!"?

"Oh please Mr. President, is it OK with you if we protest the way you're treating us?"

Since you're so terrified of these people you can't contemplate sending them a harmless tea bag, why not follow it through to the logical conclusion: send King George a check with a note requesting he use the money to expedite your national ID card!

What he said.

Also, it's almost at 1000 diggs:

http://digg.com/politics/Something_New_Is_Brewing_This_December

There's no stopping the Tea Train. So you might as well join in, cause the more people involved, the less likely they are to take drastic action. You can't arrest 100k people for sending tea.

akovacs
12-03-2007, 01:10 PM
I still don't understand why we can't collect a bunch, put it in a bag or something and then throw it into the Potomac. We had a tax revolt in Indianapolis a few months and that's what the people did there. It was all over the news and everything.

paulitics
12-03-2007, 01:11 PM
What he said.

Also, it's almost at 1000 diggs:

http://digg.com/politics/Something_New_Is_Brewing_This_December

There's no stopping the Tea Train. So you might as well join in, cause the more people involved, the less likely they are to take drastic action. You can't arrest 100k people for sending tea.

A compromise can be made. Breaking the laws in your locality who deals with such stuff can have consequences for you and the campaign. You may want to check with them first.. Anything in an envelope, needs to be secured, without leaks, or tampering. Opened up tea bags wrappers, may be an issue for your postal service. I would check first, and physically present it.

Unfortunately, this is beginning to seem more and more like a protest against the postal service, and the work they have to do to screen items to keep us safe. We should have nothing against them, so please cooperate and not make their lives a NIGHTMARE. More than likely when enough compaints are received, it can get flagged, and never make it to the intended destination.

DrNoZone
12-03-2007, 01:11 PM

There's no stopping the statism and neoconservative train, so you might as well join in!

:rolleyes:

Godbag
12-03-2007, 01:47 PM
Im not sure whether its this whole idea, or just the fact that its now 7am and ive just finished work that makes me feel drained... the only advice i can safely give without fear of retaliation is, if your going to send something, make sure you check with the post office that its ok to send it... cover your own asses!

Freedom
12-03-2007, 01:50 PM
People have a right to send tea to their government officials, and heck it IS Christmas time ;) I love tea!

Yep, I checked my pocket copy of the Constitution and although it is not an enumerated right, it is one of the rights that are reserved by the people in the 9th & 10th Amendments. :D

paulitics
12-03-2007, 01:52 PM
How about slicing open the tea bag, emptying it of all contents, and throwing in a Ron Paul button, taping the top shut, and then sending it in?

It still may need to be put in a ziplock bag. Not sure about wrappers that had contents in them, as being cool with the post office. Loose particles is not cool. They are anal for a reason. Think about it, they really do have a job to protect the public. I think it may have something to do with the receiver must have the option to disregard it, without OPENING the item in suspect. A loose wrapper, you have already opened it for them. Which is alot of trust FOR a complete stranger.

shortna
12-03-2007, 01:55 PM
The White House does not want us sending anything of a consumable nature there.

Of course they suggest not to send something that is consumable because they are not going to consume it and will throw it away. I did not expect anything but for them to throw it away. I'm still sending them the tea.

Btw, I do remember when G. H. W. Bush bashed broccoli during his Presidency as a food he did not like to eat. A broccoli salesman sent him a crate of it and Barbara said she would make sure he would eat all of it. :D

Birdlady
12-03-2007, 01:56 PM
The whole idea behind the Boston tea party was to get the government's attention and here are are asking them for permission to do the tea party.

What is wrong with you people. Can you not see the irony in this?

Minuteman
12-03-2007, 01:59 PM

Thank you for you opinion, and I respect your right to have it. I find this harmless and in good spirit. I have donated to Ron Paul and most of the chipins. Other than righting letters at this time, I see no other thing i can put my money behind. Please, dont mention the blimp, I dont support it.

OferNave
12-03-2007, 02:55 PM
Ok, the phone centers and switchboards have been less than helpful, they did however, point me to this:

Food & consumables should not be sent to the White House. We can send pictures of tea if we would like, or we can send tea to homeless kitchens or whatever.

The White House does not want us sending anything of a consumable nature there. If we send it there now, it will take a long time to get through the security screening process, and if we bog that down with a large volume of letters, there could be backlash. They will blame us for undermining the security processes of the White House, and bogging down their security staff.

That would tickle me pink, and I think it should be done regularly if we elect another terrorist fearing neocon. However, now it is not our wisest course of action. We need to change the direction on this quickly.

John - You were supposed to prepare them for what's coming so they don't freak out, not determine if we have permission. :) We're not asking permission.

john_anderson_ii
12-03-2007, 02:57 PM
John - You were supposed to prepare them for what's coming so they don't freak out, not determine if we have permission. :) We're not asking permission.

Well, the switch board operator is very prepared, because that's about as far as I got with these guys. I don't think they were interested. :D Maybe they thought I was selling something? I guess they aren't interested in purchasing any liberty today. Maybe I could come back in '09, after the change of management, or something?

OferNave
12-03-2007, 03:05 PM
Well, the switch board operator is very prepared, because that's about as far as I got with these guys. I don't think they were interested. :D Maybe they thought I was selling something? I guess they aren't interested in purchasing any liberty today. Maybe I could come back in '09, after the change of management, or something?

Ha! That's an idea.

Seriously though, it might be worth a second try, if you can't get past the operator, tell him/her to just be aware and not freak out.

I mean, you're "let's give the whitehouse a heads up" was like the only constructive criticism I liked.

john_anderson_ii
12-03-2007, 03:08 PM
Ha! That's an idea.

Seriously though, it might be worth a second try, if you can't get past the operator, tell him/her to just be aware and not freak out.

I mean, you're "let's give the whitehouse a heads up" was like the only constructive criticism I liked.

I'm at work right now, so the next chance I'll get is tomorrow A.M. I'll try again to let them know.

I really would like to hear G.W say, "Thanks for the tea." at the next press conference. It's a gamble, and I'm in the eff 'em if they can't take a joke boat. I just really don't want this coming back to bite the campaign in the ass. I wish we could decouple this from RP's presidential bid if it goes bad, but attach it to the Dec 16th fund raiser if it goes good.

That would be the ideal solution, but I'm not entirely sure it's possible.

paulitics
12-03-2007, 03:26 PM
I'm at work right now, so the next chance I'll get is tomorrow A.M. I'll try again to let them know.

I really would like to hear G.W say, "Thanks for the tea." at the next press conference. It's a gamble, and I'm in the eff 'em if they can't take a joke boat. I just really don't want this coming back to bite the campaign in the ass. I wish we could decouple this from RP's presidential bid if it goes bad, but attach it to the Dec 16th fund raiser if it goes good.

That would be the ideal solution, but I'm not entirely sure it's possible.

John, just a heads up.
I advise you to tell them it will likely be 100,000 tea bags. They may be thinking a hundred, and not a big deal. 100,000 is a very big deal, and we should be honest about the magnitutde. We can't underestimate how big we are.

shortna
12-03-2007, 03:29 PM
John, just a heads up.
I advise you to tell them it will likely be 100,000 tea bags. They may be thinking a hundred, and not a big deal. 100,000 is a very big deal, and we should be honest about the magnitutde. We can't underestimate how big we are.

now that is positive thinking. i'll go along with 100k! :D