PDA

View Full Version : Republican aide faces backlash for criticism of Obama daughters' 'classless' dress

enhanced_deficit
11-30-2014, 06:49 PM
Not a fan of alleged swc but the Republican aide may have crossed the line here:

http://media2.abc15.com/photo/2014/11/29/Elizabeth%20Lauten%20Obama%20girls%20comment_14172 97910065_10113437_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

Republican aide faces backlash for criticism of Obama daughters' 'classless' dress

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/03122/malia_3122817b.jpg Sasha, 13, (left) and Malia, 16, (right) at the White House Thanksgiving turkey pardon Photo: AP

By Josie Ensor, US correspondent and Jessica Winch

7:05PM GMT 30 Nov 2014

Writing a Facebook post, she began with their “teenage” attitude, went on to criticise the parenting they had received, and finished by accusing Malia Obama, 16, and Sasha, 13, of dressing as if they were heading to a bar.

In the post, since deleted but widely circulated online, Elizabeth Lauten, spokeswoman for Stephen Fincher, a Republican Congressman from Tennessee, told the girls to “try showing a little class. At least respect the part you play.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/11263499/Republican-aide-faces-backlash-for-criticism-of-Obama-daughters-classless-dress.html

Where was this Republican aide when the last Republican was in the WH?

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcREqQQW3sbUO2SA0pCWz54uvos7pdEg4 m7LaOm28aovS0X16gG3

Lucille
12-01-2014, 09:02 AM
Seeing his daughters act so bored and above it all was one of the few times I felt sympathy for Obama. Then I thought maybe those girls think pardoning a turkey is bullshit when their dad the war criminal kills so many innocent people every day.

RonPaulMall
12-01-2014, 12:45 PM
The outfit on the right is borderline. Top could be better, but not enough in my view to call the girl out. The one of the left, on the other hand, looks like she's auditioning for the role of Dee on "What's Happening" and deserves all the criticism she's getting.

Anti Federalist
12-01-2014, 01:01 PM
Eh, most people dress like slobs nowadays, so what's the big deal?

Ender
12-01-2014, 01:01 PM
The outfit on the right is borderline. Top could be better, but not enough in my view to call the girl out. The one of the left, on the other hand, looks like she's auditioning for the role of Dee on "What's Happening" and deserves all the criticism she's getting.

They look like every other teen girl in the US.

So. What.

pessimist
12-01-2014, 02:01 PM
I saw this on Gawker the other day. Typical teenaged girls.

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--QbNEYid3--/yf6kfgkd6icyznsk3jya.gif

phill4paul
12-01-2014, 02:03 PM
I've never been a big fan of presidents trotting out their teenagers for political points to begin with.

angelatc
12-01-2014, 02:04 PM
Well personally I think that we should leave the kids out of it. Amy Carter was called homely in the national media - as a teen girl I probably would have just killed myself if that had happened to me.

But the liberals were never above shrieking about the transgressions of the Bush girls, either. So in short....whatever.

rpfocus
12-01-2014, 02:52 PM
Typical teens. It could have been (much) worse. Remember Spain's first daughters?

Occam's Banana
12-01-2014, 03:38 PM
http://i2.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/000/021/relevant-to-my-interests.jpg

otherone
12-01-2014, 03:47 PM
http://infospace.ischool.syr.edu/files/2012/02/Distraction-Graphic-600x300.jpeg

Christian Liberty
12-01-2014, 03:48 PM
Drone strikes? Who cares.

Girls dress without "class" (whatever that means)? OUTCRY!

People are morons...

Slave Mentality
12-01-2014, 03:52 PM
Typical teens. It could have been (much) worse. Remember Spain's first daughters?

What's your beef with hunchback emo man? Ha ha

rpfocus
12-02-2014, 12:33 AM
What's your beef with hunchback emo man? Ha ha

LOL Addams Family Swag

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-iqAJB5r2w_4/UJICp0dq-UI/AAAAAAAAAoU/Se1adcWYnac/s1600/WednesdayAddams(1).gif

Anti Federalist
12-02-2014, 07:32 AM
I've never been a big fan of presidents trotting out their teenagers for political points to begin with.

Trot them out for points, expect the harsh remarks.

I wouldn't put my kids through that nonsense.

euphemia
12-02-2014, 08:35 AM
Chelsea Clinton was ragged, too. She has turned into a beautiful, graceful young mom. Good for her.

The Kennedy kids were very young, and the Nixon and Johnson girls were high school/college, I believe.

jmdrake
12-02-2014, 08:56 AM
I'll just say this. The harshest criticism I've ever heard of how Michelle Obama dresses is from black people who support the Obamas. I bet if no white republican had said anything, many blacks would have been unhappy with seeing the first daughters in miniskirts as well. Actually the older one looks okay with the leggings. But the "just below the butt" skirt of the younger is tacky. Sorry. It just is. And yes, the Bush daughters were drunken disgraces as well....and the liberal media took them to task for it without anyone having to offer an apology. And I agree. They are typical teenagers. But they are also part of the first family and have the privilege of traveling around the world on the taxpayer dime. They have people assigned to them to do nothing but make sure they look presentable when they go out in public. Why would Obama let his daughters come to a press conference dressed like that? Seriously? This wasn't a school field trip or a day at the beach. There is, or used to be, something called protocol.

jmdrake
12-02-2014, 08:57 AM
Trot them out for points, expect the harsh remarks.

I wouldn't put my kids through that nonsense.

^This! I almost wonder if he meant for them to dress like that in order to draw the harsh remarks. Nothing pulls in sympathy for a president under fire like someone attacking his kids.

phill4paul
12-02-2014, 09:06 AM
I'll just say this. The harshest criticism I've ever heard of how Michelle Obama dresses is from black people who support the Obamas. I bet if no white republican had said anything, many blacks would have been unhappy with seeing the first daughters in miniskirts as well. Actually the older one looks okay with the leggings. But the "just below the butt" skirt of the younger is tacky. Sorry. It just is. And yes, the Bush daughters were drunken disgraces as well....and the liberal media took them to task for it without anyone having to offer an apology. And I agree. They are typical teenagers. But they are also part of the first family and have the privilege of traveling around the world on the taxpayer dime. They have people assigned to them to do nothing but make sure they look presentable when they go out in public. Why would Obama let his daughters come to a press conference dressed like that? Seriously? This wasn't a school field trip or a day at the beach. There is, or used to be, something called protocol.

That was a time when people went shopping dressed like this...

http://www.valcomnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Stop-N-Shop-Photo-04.jpg

as opposed to this...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_SbqLWX6CpYA/TM4tdpL6MgI/AAAAAAAABtM/7cFyL45bo8g/s1600/walmart2.jpg

jonhowe
12-02-2014, 09:58 AM
Apparently the staffer was arrested twice when she was their age. Heh.

"Politics".

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2856410/GOP-staffer-called-Sasha-Malia-Obama-classless-arrested-shoplifting-teen.html

enhanced_deficit
12-02-2014, 10:47 AM
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3448&stc=1

To be devil's advocate, ddg is not always in control of situations in his group photos.

http://newsbusters.org/s3/files/styles/blog_body-100/s3/images/TerryBeanAndObama2012.png?itok=ThumJmhW

(http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?463759-Fundraiser-charged-with-child-sex-abuse-frequently-met-with-Obama&)

Mr.NoSmile
12-02-2014, 10:51 AM
^This! I almost wonder if he meant for them to dress like that in order to draw the harsh remarks. Nothing pulls in sympathy for a president under fire like someone attacking his kids.

Looking way too deep into it, mate. "Hey, girls, dress like this so everyone can take their focus off of what I'm saying and deal more on you." That's borderline conspiracy-theory levels of paranoid. But hey, at least the aide got the axe. She's in no position to talk, given her past.

jmdrake
12-02-2014, 12:52 PM
Looking way too deep into it, mate. "Hey, girls, dress like this so everyone can take their focus off of what I'm saying and deal more on you." That's borderline conspiracy-theory levels of paranoid.

Okay. Well the alternative is that Obama is so stupid that he's willing to let his daughters come to a press conference dressed inappropriately and not realize that somebody would say something. Or he just has absolutely no influence over his kids For the record I could care less about the term "conspiracy theory" as it's a cliche the people throw around when they don't want to think critically.

But hey, at least the aide got the axe. She's in no position to talk, given her past.

Right. Because nobody that has ever made a mistake can ever comment on someone currently making a mistake. :rolleyes: It was a doggone Facebook post, not a press release. But hey, we can't criticize American royalty. That's what this is really about.

rpfocus
12-02-2014, 12:57 PM

Agreed on the tacky part. It's possible Obama did say something and that could be why they are so sullen. As far as I can tell, this behavior appears to be out of character for them, at least in public.

jmdrake
12-02-2014, 01:10 PM
Agreed on the tacky part. It's possible Obama did say something and that could be why they are so sullen. As far as I can tell, this behavior appears to be out of character for them, at least in public.

I agree. How I remember the Obama girls.

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsmax/files/b6/b6f64135-eb88-4f62-b3b1-5b0ecb092dc9_250_231.jpg

Not sure what happened.

surf
12-02-2014, 01:39 PM
I actually felt sorry for them.... they didn't run for first daughter.

Mr.NoSmile
12-02-2014, 02:52 PM
Okay. Well the alternative is that Obama is so stupid that he's willing to let his daughters come to a press conference dressed inappropriately and not realize that somebody would say something. Or he just has absolutely no influence over his kids For the record I could care less about the term "conspiracy theory" as it's a cliche the people throw around when they don't want to think critically.

Right. Because nobody that has ever made a mistake can ever comment on someone currently making a mistake. :rolleyes: It was a doggone Facebook post, not a press release. But hey, we can't criticize American royalty. That's what this is really about.

If she were a nobody, sure. The fact that she worked as an aide for a public figure puts her in the spotlight. That's what it's about. If she'd been some random stranger just venting, it wouldn't matter. That changes when you're a Congressman's aide. Someone was going to get the axe. Also, there's a difference between thinking critically and looking too deep into what's not there. How about his daughters just dressed the way that they wanted to. I mean, they do have that ability. I fail to see how it's inappropriate, but that's me. Given how people don't even like the President, I fail to see why they even care how his daughters look.

pessimist
12-02-2014, 02:58 PM

They are TEENAGE girls.

jmdrake
12-02-2014, 03:05 PM
If she were a nobody, sure. The fact that she worked as an aide for a public figure puts her in the spotlight. That's what it's about. If she'd been some random stranger just venting, it wouldn't matter. That changes when you're a Congressman's aide. Someone was going to get the axe. Also, there's a difference between thinking critically and looking too deep into what's not there. How about his daughters just dressed the way that they wanted to. I mean, they do have that ability. I fail to see how it's inappropriate, but that's me. Given how people don't even like the President, I fail to see why they even care how his daughters look.

Had you heard of her before? Do you even know who she works for? Or is all that you know about her that she's a "GOP staffer" and the media told you that you needed to be mad at her? She's in the spotlight now because she's been put in the spotlight. And in doing this, people like you have hurt the Obama girls. Seriously, I wouldn't have even known about this picture if there weren't people trying to use this incident to attack some unknown GOP staffer.

jmdrake
12-02-2014, 03:08 PM
They are TEENAGE girls.

Ummm....so. That doesn't at all change the point rpfocus was making. I can't find a single picture other than the OP or pictures from the same incident where the Obama girls are dressed anything like that. Yes a lot of teenagers don't carry themselves like the are part of the First Family of the United States. And most teenagers aren't part of the First Family of the United States.

rpfocus
12-02-2014, 03:15 PM
They are TEENAGE girls.

Yes, I get that. I've said the same in an earlier post in this thread. They still have seemed well behaved prior to this, hence my 'out of character' remark. I get that this is how the kids are dressing nowadays, and I give the Obama girls a pass. That still doesn't mean it's not rather tacky. The Republican aide was dumb to put that statement on social media though. She should have known better.

Mr.NoSmile
12-02-2014, 03:22 PM
Had you heard of her before? Do you even know who she works for? Or is all that you know about her that she's a "GOP staffer" and the media told you that you needed to be mad at her? She's in the spotlight now because she's been put in the spotlight. And in doing this, people like you have hurt the Obama girls. Seriously, I wouldn't have even known about this picture if there weren't people trying to use this incident to attack some unknown GOP staffer.

I've hurt the daughters? I'll thank you for not presuming to know anything about me next time. I didn't know about her and neither did you, to be frank. Yes, she's a staffer for a congressman. As a result, her comments are going to be out there in the public spotlight. Again, if she'd just been some random person on Facebook that had no interest in politics whatsoever, nobody would have given a shit. It's because she works for a public figure that she's under the spotlight.

Hell, let's wind the clock back a year and look at what happened to Paul Labrador's staffer:

A spokesman for Idaho Rep. Raul Labrador has reportedly been fired for mistakenly tweeting from his boss' account during the Super Bowl about a risque ad for the CBS sitcom "2 Broke Girls."

“Me likey Broke Girls,” Phil Hardy, who had been operating Labrador's Twitter account, tweeted Sunday after seeing the spot that featured the show's stars—Kat Dennings and Beth Behrs—pole-dancing to Def Leppard's "Pour Some Sugar On Me."

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/rep-labrador-2-broke-girls-tweet-fired-232745504--politics.html

If Hardy had been a nobody, no one would care. But because he works for a politician, anything he says will be linked back to them, no matter how inane. So yeah, you work for a politician, you're going to be under the spotlight. Learn to catch up on what I'm saying, huh?

jmdrake
12-02-2014, 03:29 PM
I said people like you meaning people making this story go viral to criticize the GOP staffer. If you haven't posted this story anywhere, and if you wouldn't do that, then my apologies for lumping you in with my white liberal Facebook friends who are sharing this link and adding "Look at the horrible GOP" while not understanding they are making the story bigger than it otherwise would be. That said, everything else I said stands. This was a no name GOP staffer. And the people who are using a meaningless comment from her to go after the GOP are hurting the Obama girls. But you know what? Even in the U.K., people who have no connection with the GOP are commenting negatively on the girls behavior. Please see:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2850776/Cheese-turkey-rests-crowned-National-Thanksgiving-Turkey.html

In this case it's because they were acting bored and rolling their eyes at their dad. That's Obama's problem, and if he's doing his job as a dad he'll being doing some "reigning in" of the two of them tonight.

I've hurt the daughters? I'll thank you for not presuming to know anything about me next time. I didn't know about her and neither did you, to be frank. Yes, she's a staffer for a congressman. As a result, her comments are going to be out there in the public spotlight. Again, if she'd just been some random person on Facebook that had no interest in politics whatsoever, nobody would have given a shit. It's because she works for a public figure that she's under the spotlight.

Hell, let's wind the clock back a year and look at what happened to Paul Labrador's staffer:

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/rep-labrador-2-broke-girls-tweet-fired-232745504--politics.html

If Hardy had been a nobody, no one would care. But because he works for a politician, anything he says will be linked back to them, no matter how inane. So yeah, you work for a politician, you're going to be under the spotlight. Learn to catch up on what I'm saying, huh?

Mr.NoSmile
12-02-2014, 03:46 PM
A political staffer is still a political staffer, regardless of party. Had she said nothing, no one would bat an eye and she'd just be a staffer. But because she opened her mouth, not only is she called into question, but as is the congressman and party as a whole that's already lambasted for being a party of 'No.' Their words, not mine. If it was so meaningless, then she had no reason to put it out there in the first place. She has that right to, and she did, so now she's without a job.