PDA

View Full Version : Texas Court: Warrant needed to draw blood in DWI cases - no more vampaire cops

V4Vendetta
11-29-2014, 06:49 PM
http://www.khou.com/story/news/politics/2014/11/27/texas-court-warrant-needed-to-draw-blood-in-dwi-cases/19569139/

HOUSTON (AP) -- Texas' highest criminal court has ruled that drawing the blood of an uncooperative drunken driving suspect in Texas without a search warrant is unconstitutional.

Legal experts say the decision by the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals likely invalidates state law that had provided law enforcement with several circumstances in which they didn't need a warrant to obtain a blood sample from a driving-while-intoxicated suspect who refused such a request.

Wednesday's decision follows a 2013 ruling in which the U.S. Supreme Court said that police usually must try to obtain a search warrant from a judge before ordering blood tests for drunken-driving suspects.

In the Texas case, police obtained without a search warrant a blood sample from a South Texas DWI suspect, who said the action violated his rights.

Cissy
11-29-2014, 06:54 PM
I'm betting that the judges will rubber-stamp those warrants like they currently do the no-knock warrants.

V4Vendetta
11-29-2014, 06:58 PM
Maybe so, but its a step in the right direction... and sets a president showing that you need a warrant before forcibly removing a persons bodily fluids

Carlybee
11-29-2014, 10:52 PM
Trust me...they rubber stamp them. They have a judge on call. They just haul you to jail, get the warrant and do the draw there.

Anti Federalist
11-29-2014, 11:44 PM
Freedom.

phill4paul
11-30-2014, 09:47 AM
Trust me...they rubber stamp them. They have a judge on call. They just haul you to jail, get the warrant and do the draw there.

Yup.

In light of these new powers, the latest fad in Tennessee law enforcement is setting up “no refusal” checkpoints, having a judge or a judicial commissioner on call to churn out blood warrants on demand. Rather than spread out across a town, looking for probable cause to stop vehicles, police set stop everyone, lacking any tangible reason to initiate each stop.

http://www.policestateusa.com/2013/tennessee-roll-refusal-blood-draw-dui-checkpoints-labor-day/

Freedom.

It's starting to smell like a burning tire. Around your neck.

westkyle
11-30-2014, 10:51 AM
Yup.

http://www.policestateusa.com/2013/tennessee-roll-refusal-blood-draw-dui-checkpoints-labor-day/

It's starting to smell like a burning tire. Around your neck.

I thought they did that here in Tennessee as well. So, they don't have to have probable cause to take your blood?

phill4paul
11-30-2014, 11:00 AM
I thought they did that here in Tennessee as well. So, they don't have to have probable cause to take your blood?

Yeah, that post was from Tenn.

Define probably cause.

"You swerved over the center line."

"No I didn't."

"Is that alcohol I smell on your breath."

also a good one....

"You didn't use your turn signal."

"Yes, I did."

"Is that alcohol I smell on your breath. "

"Probable cause" is what ever they decide to make up.

economics102
11-30-2014, 02:01 PM
Yeah, that post was from Tenn.

Define probably cause.

"You swerved over the center line."

"No I didn't."

"Is that alcohol I smell on your breath."

also a good one....

"You didn't use your turn signal."

"Yes, I did."

"Is that alcohol I smell on your breath. "

"Probable cause" is what ever they decide to make up.

I guess this is where exercising your right to remain silent could help.