PDA

View Full Version : The US Foreign Service looked the other way while my friend was brutalized in Brazil

TSLexi
11-28-2014, 11:48 AM
This is so upsetting to write about, but I must tell you about the corruption in the US Foreign Service. This happened in 2013.

My friend was a Brazilian-ethnic medical student. To protect his privacy, I'm going to call him Alex. We've known each other for several years, and last year he was done with his final clinical clerkships, so he had several weeks of free-time before he started his IM residency. So Alex asked me if I wanted to take a trip to Brazil to go see Carnival. That really excited me, so I jumped at the chance.

Well, we were having a great time partying, and he was getting really drunk. Along with just about everyone else, except me. Well, a few guys started making passes at me, and he decided to defend me. By smashing their heads into the wall. A huge fight started, and I slipped out and got the police (very awkward, since I kept mixing up Spanish and Portuguese words). I gave them me and Alex's US Passports, and they arrested Alex along with several other of the fighters. They returned mine, but kept Alex's, and called the US Consulate to inform them that he was arrested.

So he was in jail now, and I didn't have any money to post his bond, so he was remanded to Polinter jail while charges of battery were being filed.

I knew that Brazilian prisons were bad and the guards are lazy, but I was thinking "he's a tough guy, he can tough this out." How wrong I was. Apparently, he was being kept in the same area as the people he was fighting. So when I came to see him the next morning, he was beaten severely. His face was totally smashed in. Later I was informed he was rushed to a hospital where a craniotomy was done and his face plated back together.

I immediately went to the US Consul, and I told them "You need to fucking do something, he is going to die!" Their response "Ma'am, we sincerely apologize for this terrible ordeal you are going through, but we cannot interfere with another state's justice system. Things will work out, we are doing everything in our power to help."

I told them "You need to get him released so he can be in a proper secure prison, not this rat-infested cesspool. Man up, and start actually trying to help him! Don't you have FAST Marines protecting this site? You can deploy them to extract him so he can be moved to safety!" "Ma'am, if we do anything that could even be construed as a threat to Brazil's sovereignty, we will get expelled and then all bets are off. Please be patient, I know you are extremely frustrated; I would be too."

Eventually he recovered and was sent back to the prison. He was now partially-sighted in both eyes, and is on anti-seizure medication.

After six months, he had a trial, and he was sentenced to two years. During that period, he suffered another assault, and his hands were smashed.

At this point I said "I've had enough. The USN Fourth Fleet is stationed here. Perhaps threatening a naval blockade will convince them to release him." "Ma'am, I truly feel for you. This is a tragedy. But a naval blockade is an act of war, as I am sure you know, and starting a war with Brazil will not help him at all. We cannot break the law, let alone declare war, to rescue him. Unfortunately, it's just not worth it to risk the lives of thousands of Sailors and Marines for one person and effectively force Brazil to sever diplomatic relations and upset the entirety of South America. Once again none of this should have ever happened, but there's nothing we can legally do."

Apparently my friend's severe injuries that were suffered in Brazilian prison were not enough to convince the USFS officers to risk their jobs to ensure his safety. He is permanently disabled, and will never be able to fulfill his dream.

The USFS is lazy and does nothing to prevent evil from being inflicted upon our citizens in foreign countries. Apologies are not solutions! You may, gasp, have to break the law to dispense justice!

If I was in charge of US foreign policy, any country that inflicts this sort of evil upon our travelers will be annexed so true justice can be dispensed, because if they do this to our citizens, they no doubt also do it to their own citizens. We are the leaders of the free world, and we must spread the Bill of Rights, such as the right to clean, safe prisons and speedy trials.

I want to burn the Brazil Embassy down. They need to understand that this cannot be tolerated. Imperial Rome would have annexed them by now.

I miss my friend. He was my hero. He deserved to be arrested and charged with assault, but he didn't deserve to have his body, mind, and future destroyed for protecting me.

The Ferguson rioters deserve this crap. Not my friend.

acptulsa
11-28-2014, 12:55 PM
My friend was a Brazilian-ethnic medical student.

So, is he a citizen of Brazil or a citizen of the U.S?

If I was in charge of US foreign policy, any country that inflicts this sort of evil upon our travelers will be annexed so true justice can be dispensed, because if they do this to our citizens, they no doubt also do it to their own citizens. We are the leaders of the free world, and we must spread the Bill of Rights, such as the right to clean, safe prisons and speedy trials.

I want to burn the Brazil Embassy down. They need to understand that this cannot be tolerated. Imperial Rome would have annexed them by now.

Imperial Rome annexed places like Jerusalem and allowed them to continue their barbaric internal practices like crucifixion.

I miss my friend. He was my hero. He deserved to be arrested and charged with assault, but he didn't deserve to have his body, mind, and future destroyed for protecting me.

What's more, you feel guilty because you know he was trying to defend you. And you are right, as far as it goes. The system he's in makes a mockery of the word 'justice'. It is not the sort of thing that earns a society the label 'civilized country'. But don't damn Fergusonians because you're frustrated. And please, please forgive us if we spend more time and effort trying to keep the United States, which is going the wrong direction, from slipping down to Brazil's level than we spend trying to improve Brazil.

Wish I could be more help. I really do. I wouldn't consider a war with Brazil over things like this to be a just war, but it would be a damned sight more just than fighting over oil and pipelines and the Petrodollar like we always do. But be truthful with yourself over this: Would your friend want thousands to die for him?

Good luck, God bless, and remember this: It isn't your fault that he tried to defend you in an uncivilized country. It really isn't. Which doesn't mean you shouldn't go on fighting for him, it just means you're the good guy here, not the bad guy.

TSLexi
11-28-2014, 08:57 PM
My friend is a US citizen.

We should annex countries like this and reorganize their government and justice system to ensure justice is dispensed quickly and fairly. We do not tolerate this behavior in ourselves, we shouldn't tolerate it in our countries. Imperialism is a excellent things; the world is much better off after being colonized by the British.

They wouldn't dare do this to the Ambassador or his family if they somehow got into a fight, why doesn't my friend deserve immunity from this barbarism?

Why were they so afraid of getting expelled? Brazil's ambassador deserves retributive justice. Why would a war be unjustified? They deliberately infringed upon my friend's human rights.

Henry Rogue
11-28-2014, 09:04 PM
Never call the police.

TSLexi
11-28-2014, 09:06 PM
If I didn't someone else would have.

TSLexi
11-28-2014, 09:12 PM
Every time I see the Brazilian Embassy, I want to Molotov it. They deserve it, not the civilized luxury of negotiations

specsaregood
11-28-2014, 09:22 PM
Uhm, if you think we should be policeman of the world then you are in the wrong forum. sorry about your friend but shouldn't have gotten into a fight in Brazil.

TSLexi
11-28-2014, 09:33 PM
Where did we ever authorize Brazil to commit acts of barbarism against our citizens or anyone? As soon as they do something like this, they lose their sovereignty. I and the USFS should have threatened reprisal against their government officials.

They said that we cannot interfere with a sovereign nation's justice system to rescue someone. Yes we can! We interfered with Nazi Germany's to rescue scores of Jews. We need to start being imperialist and colonial again!

This is an American human right and liberty issue because American looked the other way when it could have taken direct action. Diplomatic meetings are not a substitute for actual work I decrying human rights abuses. We need to actually do something, like place Brazil under supervision. That's why we project power via our military and Foreign Service.

acptulsa
11-28-2014, 09:52 PM
Firstly...

"It always will seem funny to us United Staters that we are about the only ones that really know how to do everything right. I don't know how a lot of these other nations have existed as long as they have 'til we could get some of our people around and show them really how to be pure and good like us."--Will Rogers 1932

...I don't think this nation is as perfect as you think it is. We should probably get our own house back in order.

Secondly, Brazil has a right to self-determination, whether you like it or not.

Thirdly, I'm sure that if you actually could get this war of yours started you'd feel less guilty about playing a small and blameless part in your friend's misfortune. But thousands of deaths over him might very well leave your friend riddled with guilt.

Is this war worth selling your soul for?

TSLexi
11-28-2014, 10:17 PM
I never said we're perfect. But we are better than them. Not all cultures and civilizations are equal. He didn't deserve this. Why did nobody actually try to help? My friend did the right thing and he got beaten nearly to death and lost his dream. How many people have to suffer under brutality before we say enough is enough?

Where did we give Brazil the right to violate someone's human rights and dignity? Where? They do not have the right to self-determination if they abuse it like this. It's a privilege we can revoke.

Those who were abused in Nazi Germany welcomed our intervention to prevent further abuse. I'm sure the Brazilian prisoners would too.

We can wage a bloodless war by blockading their ports and arresting their embassy officials until they fix their justice system to our satisfaction. If any "justice system", foreign or domestic, is unjust, we have a duty to interfere with it.

My friend should have been remanded to the US Consul to be deported and tried under our justice system.

TSLexi
11-29-2014, 05:41 AM
Maybe I could sue Brazil for violating Alex's human rights? That seems more effective.

tod evans
11-29-2014, 06:06 AM
Maybe I could sue Brazil for violating Alex's human rights? That seems more effective.

Maybe you could do like every other foreigner who gets their ass in a sling in some foreign country, BRIBE THEM!

The exact same thing works in the US only the bribe money is paid to the lawyer.

Besides money, time is the only way your friend is getting out of goal.

TSLexi
11-29-2014, 07:08 AM
Maybe you could do like every other foreigner who gets their ass in a sling in some foreign country, BRIBE THEM!

The exact same thing works in the US only the bribe money is paid to the lawyer.

Besides money, time is the only way your friend is getting out of goal.

I'm not getting myself arrested by the US for bribery of a foreign official. Then I can't help, obviously.

The options are either a lawsuit, threats against the Brazilian diplomats here, or a blockade.

By the US Government turning a blind eye to Brazil's evil, they are committing evil themselves. Anyone who abuses their freedom dispense injustice does not deserve it. We must take away the sovereignty of any nation who violates human rights of travelers or their people. We need to rehabilitate their government by blockading them and placing our military in strict control of their government. Once they have rehabilitated, we will release them from the blockade and supervision, and the Ambassador will have the authority to reinstate it if they screw up again. We do this with criminals already. It doesn't matter whether a criminal is an individual, a company, or a foreign government.

tod evans
11-29-2014, 07:13 AM
The options are either a lawsuit, threats against the Brazilian diplomats here, or a blockade.

Paying the bribe via lawyer (lawsuit) is the ONLY option a sane person types on the interwebs....

If you are in fact cute enough that drunken revelers would start a bar brawl over you then maybe you could use your feminine wiles to have your friend released...

Either way it's going to cost.

angelatc
11-29-2014, 07:22 AM
My friend is a US citizen.

We should annex countries like this and reorganize their government and justice system to ensure justice is dispensed quickly and fairly..

:eek:

But we are better than them.

:eek:

I am sorry about your friend, but I think that we should let Brazil be Brazil.

TSLexi
11-29-2014, 07:24 AM
Paying the bribe via lawyer (lawsuit) is the ONLY option a san person types on the interwebs....

If you are in fact cute enough that drunken revelers would start a bar brawl over you then maybe you could use your feminine wiles to have your friend released...

Either way it's going to cost.

...did you just call me insane? Just 'cause I'm pretty doesn't mean I should whore myself to get things. You all don't seem to be concerned with justice, but more concerned with the international status quo.

angelatc
11-29-2014, 07:25 AM
...did you just call me insane? Just 'cause I'm pretty doesn't mean I should whore myself to get things. You all don't seem to be concerned with justice, but more concerned with the international status quo.

How do you define justice? And why is your definition of justice more correct than theirs?

tod evans
11-29-2014, 07:35 AM

Threats made against foreign government(s) isn't the pinnacle of sanity there toots...

You seem to believe that the "Just-Us" system of the United States is in some way superior to what Brazil has....That too really doesn't point to level headedness..

Whether the US or some foreign nation, when a foreigner is imprisoned it takes political power, money or "barter" to extract them from the clutches of the system. Which of the 3 options are you capable of providing?

Stomping your pretty little feet and gnashing your teeth is a good tension reliever, now what are you going to DO that might help your friend?

TSLexi
11-29-2014, 07:41 AM
How do you define justice? And why is your definition of justice more correct than theirs?

The objective of justice is to deter offense, rehabilitate the offender, and encourage him to repair the harm done. We at least try to do this. Brazil seems to just warehouse criminals to rot. All people have a right to a speedy trial and not to be abused in jail. Brazil waited six entire months to try him, let him get beaten in prison, and sentenced him to two entire years in an unsafe, dirty, infection-laden hellhole.

TSLexi
11-29-2014, 07:49 AM
Threats made against foreign government(s) isn't the pinnacle of sanity there toots...

You seem to believe that the "Just-Us" system of the United States is in some way superior to what Brazil has....That too really doesn't point to level headedness..

Whether the US or some foreign nation when a foreigner is imprisoned it takes political power, money or "barter" to extract them from the clutches of the system. Which of the 3 options are you capable of providing?

Stomping your pretty little feet and gnashing your teeth is a good tension reliever, now what are you going to DO that might help your friend?

I don't have much disposable income, and I highly doubt a "Raise money to fund my friend's bribe to get him released from Polinter prison" is going to go down too well.

Power comes from the barrel of a gun. If you didn't have a gun, and someone threatened and pursued you to give into their demands, you really don't have a choice.

Brazil has a very small military, and a war against them will revitalize the economy by creating jobs, much better than Obama's failed "plan"! And we'll have access to oil to help our energy crisis!

Suzanimal
11-29-2014, 07:54 AM
I don't have much disposable income, and I highly doubt a "Raise money to fund my friend's bribe to get him released from Polinter prison" is going to go down too well.

Power comes from the barrel of a gun. If you didn't have a gun, and someone threatened and pursued you to give into their demands, you really don't have a choice.

Brazil has a very small military, and a war against them will revitalize the economy by creating jobs, much better than Obama's failed "plan"! And we'll have access to oil to help our energy crisis!

http://i.imgur.com/wBwzKb2m.jpg

I've never been intentionally rude to anyone on this forum until now. Congrats. Keep it up and you'll earn the first neg rep I've ever felt compelled to hand out.

tod evans
11-29-2014, 07:54 AM

Best of luck with your war...

I can't for the life of me see how waging a war is cheaper than bribing some third world officials though......

TSLexi
11-29-2014, 08:00 AM
Best of luck with your war...

I can't for the life of me see how waging a war is cheaper than bribing some third world officials though......

What if they don't take the bribe? What if they report me to the US Embassy?

Why do people condone the Ferguson riots, which will serve no purpose in getting what they want, yet condemn my idea to get my friend released, which does have a chance of working out if I could get the support.

Wars create jobs. WW2 revitalized our economy. It doesn't have to be an all-out invasion, just move the USN Fourth Fleet slightly, and blockade their ports.

acptulsa
11-29-2014, 08:02 AM

Our economy can't pull out of the postwar depression it's in now because we haven't stopped borrowing and spending and killing for over a decade. We're in a perpetual war and a perpetual postwar depression. We're trashing our economy in ways the U. S. economy has never been trashed before. Yet another war will not help.

And you're a mighty bloodthirsty thing, aren't you?

Your Brazilian native U.S. citizen seems to have dual citizenship. You might have to let this thing take its course. That would be a better thing for your friend than you hounding and pissing off everyone who might be able to eventually help him.

Why do people condone the Ferguson riots, which will serve no purpose in getting what they want, yet condemn my idea to get my friend released, which does have a chance of working out if I could get the support.

I don't know. Why don't you go find someone who condones riots and ask them?

tod evans
11-29-2014, 08:06 AM
What if they don't take the bribe? What if they report me to the US Embassy?

Wars create jobs. WW2 revitalized our economy.

I can't speak for others, only myself..

I've told you how to get your friend released, hell it's both easier and cheaper than here in the US, and you want to go off on tangents that serve no purpose toward that end...

Are you really interested in helping your friend or is this whole thread some childish venting?

Sanity really might be an issue....

Lindsey
11-29-2014, 08:11 AM
First, I am sorry for your friend's losses. It is always a shame that such brutality is allowed to occur.

Second, I consider myself a non-interventionist. I believe that the affairs of another country are their business, unless it is a matter of defending ourselves. While it is saddening that this occurred (to a US citizen nonetheless,) it occurred on foreign soil - he committed a crime hat would have been a crime here too. If I read your story correctly, he started the violent behavior. I see no good coming of the US involving itself in the Brazilian justice system. I especially would never support acts of war such as blockades or sanctions.

Third, the difference in Ferguson and your situation is vast. Stop trying to make comparisons - they don't work.

Fourth, war is not good for the economy. War is good for the military-industrial complex. I hope you stick around here and read and learn a bit. There is a lot of knowledge to be had from RPF.

mosquitobite
11-29-2014, 08:17 AM
I find threads like these amusing. A newbie coming and wanting to start a war with Brazil because prisoners in jail beat up her friend while the guards looked the other way.

Because 'Murica is better!

http://abcnews.go.com/US/half-sexual-abuse-claims-american-prisons-involve-guards/story?id=21892170

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/news/prison-abuse/

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/05/08/national/08PRIS.html

Here's the type of system you want America to export? via war?

The experts also point out that the man who directed the reopening of the Abu Ghraib prison in Iraq last year and trained the guards there resigned under pressure as director of the Utah Department of Corrections in 1997 after an inmate died while shackled to a restraining chair for 16 hours. The inmate, who suffered from schizophrenia, was kept naked the whole time.

The Utah official, Lane McCotter, later became an executive of a private prison company, one of whose jails was under investigation by the Justice Department when he was sent to Iraq as part of a team of prison officials, judges, prosecutors and police chiefs picked by Attorney General John Ashcroft to rebuild the country's criminal justice system.

Here's a life lesson TSLexi: just because the state controlled news doesn't report on it, doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

acptulsa
11-29-2014, 08:32 AM
Much less sticking people in modern versions of Victorian Work Houses where they have to work for local business and companies like Avalon get their paychecks--and they get thrown at each other like pit bulls or roosters for the guards' amusement...

http://www.fox23.com/news/news/breaking-news/alleged-inmate-fight-club-at-avalon-correctional-f/ndnW7/#__federated=1

So, we want to start a war we can't begin to afford to get Brazil to stop doing the same damned thing the U.S. does. Not a bandwagon I'm anxious to jump on.

Henry Rogue
11-29-2014, 08:50 AM
and a war against them will revitalize the economy by creating jobs
Lol :rolleyes:

mosquitobite
11-29-2014, 09:03 AM
Lol :rolleyes:

What? You didn't learn that during your public education?

I certainly did. We were taught that WWII pulled us out of the Great Depression. War tis gut!

Henry Rogue
11-29-2014, 09:42 AM
What? You didn't learn that during your public education?

I certainly did. We were taught that WWII pulled us out of the Great Depression. War tis gut!

Depended on the subject being taught. If the subject was WW2 then yes, if subject was the New Deal then that was the reason. I actually believed the WW2 bs at one point im my life, so I should be more patient with the ignorant since i was myself at one point.

Me thinks the OP is a troll, possibly a familiar one at that.

Cleaner44
11-29-2014, 09:52 AM
Every time I see the Brazilian Embassy, I want to Molotov it. They deserve it, not the civilized luxury of negotiations

I never said we're perfect. But we are better than them. Not all cultures and civilizations are equal. He didn't deserve this. Why did nobody actually try to help? My friend did the right thing and he got beaten nearly to death and lost his dream. How many people have to suffer under brutality before we say enough is enough?

Where did we give Brazil the right to violate someone's human rights and dignity? Where? They do not have the right to self-determination if they abuse it like this. It's a privilege we can revoke.

Those who were abused in Nazi Germany welcomed our intervention to prevent further abuse. I'm sure the Brazilian prisoners would too.

We can wage a bloodless war by blockading their ports and arresting their embassy officials until they fix their justice system to our satisfaction. If any "justice system", foreign or domestic, is unjust, we have a duty to interfere with it.

My friend should have been remanded to the US Consul to be deported and tried under our justice system.

So you friend violently attacked some people and now you want U.S. military members to risk their lives to kill the people of Brazil for some twisted reason.

You are a sick, violent and ugly person. I suggest you seek help.

TSLexi
11-29-2014, 10:22 AM
He was defending me against people who were non consensualy touching me! Defense of a third party is a legitimate use of force!

libertarianinternational
11-29-2014, 10:33 AM
This is evidently satire. OP is mocking Americans for wanting war with ISIS with this allegory. Replace "brutalized" with "beheaded", "Brazil" with "Syria".

Cleaner44
11-29-2014, 10:35 AM
He was defending me against people who were non consensualy touching me! Defense of a third party is a legitimate use of force!

So your fuck buddy was fighting with other men for you and he got himself into a horrible situation, along with the fact that you called the cops on him. I still don't understand how you can ask for U.S. military members to risk their lives to kill thousands of people over this stupid situation. Are you just wanting to rachet up the quanity of men that with use violence at your request? Is this a pattern you have repeated many times in your life?

Danke
11-29-2014, 10:48 AM
//

Cissy
11-29-2014, 11:26 AM

I suppose you possess the face that launched a thousand ships?

Or perhaps you never learned the proverb that two wrongs don't make a right?

Demigod
11-29-2014, 11:59 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkTb9GP9lVI

Unless you are just itching for an excuse the chance of a government starting a war over a matter as trivial as this is 0.To even think about calling the cops in a foreign country with a foreign culture is stupid beyond compare.Tod is right you could have probably gotten him out of the jail the very night with a few bribes,favors.I could imagine the laughs they had at the US embassy when you proposed an embargo.

Zippyjuan
11-29-2014, 01:40 PM
So we should beat up and kill innocent people of an entire country because a few people in that country beat up somebody. So we should take over the entire world since that happens everywhere.

Occam's Banana
11-29-2014, 03:24 PM
http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/nope.gif

euphemia
11-29-2014, 04:33 PM
Our daughter and a friend were victims of an armed home invasion during a benevolence visit to Brazil. Local police were very nice to the young, pretty American girls. We did not ask for any action by the consulate, but it's fortunate something worse didn't happen. The perps were caught. My guess is it didn't go well for them.

TSLexi
11-29-2014, 05:31 PM
The police were very nice to me, but they weren't to my friend.

I can't believe you're acting as if self-defense is wrong. You people are insulting. Soldiers signed up and are paid to defend us from foreign powers. We need to use them or we're spending lots of money for nothing.

How is this a stupid reason to start a war? My friend is being tortured. The US Consul needs to start doing their job and stop allowing their host country to do whatever they want and not standing up for the rights of our citizens.

We have to stand for human rights and justice. If we don't take away the sovereignty of nations who abuse their citizens and travelers, we are allowing evil. We need to crush any nation and imprison their ambassadors and their families of ones that doesn't respect human rights. Not doing so would be like letting a murderer go free. They must be punished for supporting an evil nation.

This is why we need to wage war against Saudi Arabia and China too.

Diplomacy and UN resolutions don't solve anything. Only direct action will.

You people are selfish. You care nothing for my friend who was trying to defend me, you care more about your money and whether or not we look good to everyone else.

tod evans
11-29-2014, 05:48 PM

I can't believe you're acting as if self-defense is wrong. You people are insulting. Soldiers signed up and are paid to defend us from foreign powers. We need to use them or we're spending lots of money for nothing.

How is this a stupid reason to start a war? My friend is being tortured. The US Consul needs to start doing their job and stop allowing their host country to do whatever they want and not standing up for the rights of our citizens.

We have to stand for human rights and justice. If we don't take away the sovereignty of nations who abuse their citizens and travelers, we are allowing evil. We need to crush any nation and imprison their ambassadors and their families of ones that doesn't respect human rights. Not doing so would be like letting a murderer go free. They must be punished for supporting an evil nation.

You people are selfish. You care nothing for my friend who was trying to defend me, you care more about your money and whether or not we look good to everyone else.

First off who is this we you speak of?

I don't need to wage war on another nations people for what happened in a bar fight, that's insane!

If you don't like the fact that your friend is in prison then get your happy ass down there and get him out.

If you don't have political power or money then you've only got one option that'll actually work and it ain't trying to incite an internet board to wage war on your behalf.

TSLexi
11-29-2014, 06:03 PM
Then you are supporting torture and injustice. You are not an American. Nobody deserves to be beaten to death for defending someone innocent. Waging a war is the only way these barbarians will learn.

Occam's Banana
11-29-2014, 06:11 PM
Then you are supporting torture and injustice. You are not an American. Nobody deserves to be beaten to death for defending someone innocent. Waging a war is the only way these barbarians will learn.

Well, hell! I meant to neg-rep this viciously hypocritical blather, but accidentally plus-repped it instead ... :o:o:o

Zippyjuan
11-29-2014, 06:12 PM

You are suggesting torture, violence, and injustice to punish an entire country for the actions of a few- who were punished by their country.

tod evans
11-29-2014, 06:13 PM

No sweetheart I'm not buying into your little temper fit...;)

Maybe if you took me to a bar in Brazil, got me lit and shook your money-maker in my face you could convince me to throw a punch or two on your behalf, maybe..

But let me tell you here and now, I give less of a shit about your panty-waste boy friend than you do and it's quite apparent by your lack of real action that you don't care one whit...

Instead of trying to paint me with your silly brush try looking in the mirror, by your own admission you got this dude in trouble (no doubt he was hoping to get laid) and now you're trying to manipulate faceless men (and women) to go to bat on your behalf without even the veiled promise of sex...

If you want someone out of jail you have only three options to pay the bill;
1) Political clout.......(See Matt Collins on this board)
2) Cash money
3) Barter in lieu of cash

Seeing as how you were mooching off your "friend" to even get to Brazil it sounds like the cash money isn't an option for you.......

TSLexi
11-29-2014, 06:15 PM
It is not any of those. It is a reprisal. If someone got beaten to death for defending their friends from thugs, that is morally wrong. We spent lots of money to rescue American POWs in Japan and Germany, how is my friend's life any less valuable. Those soldiers lives will be used for a good cause.

Cissy
11-29-2014, 06:24 PM

But it's more moral for you to send men and women who have nothing to do with your bar fight to their deaths than for you to do what it takes to rescue your friend?

Why do I suspect that your "friend" and this entire scenario are a complete fabrication?

When will we see your tearful television interview?

Cissy
11-29-2014, 06:32 PM
This is so upsetting to write about, but I must tell you about the corruption in the US Foreign Service. This happened in 2013.

My friend was a Brazilian-ethnic medical student. To protect his privacy, I'm going to call him Alex. We've known each other for several years, and last year he was done with his final clinical clerkships, so he had several weeks of free-time before he started his IM residency. So Alex asked me if I wanted to take a trip to Brazil to go see Carnival. That really excited me, so I jumped at the chance.

Well, we were having a great time partying, and he was getting really drunk. Along with just about everyone else, except me. Well, a few guys started making passes at me, and he decided to defend me. By smashing their heads into the wall. A huge fight started, and I slipped out and got the police (very awkward, since I kept mixing up Spanish and Portuguese words). I gave them me and Alex's US Passports, and they arrested Alex along with several other of the fighters. They returned mine, but kept Alex's, and called the US Consulate to inform them that he was arrested.

So he was in jail now, and I didn't have any money to post his bond, so he was remanded to Polinter jail while charges of battery were being filed.

I knew that Brazilian prisons were bad and the guards are lazy, but I was thinking "he's a tough guy, he can tough this out." How wrong I was. Apparently, he was being kept in the same area as the people he was fighting. So when I came to see him the next morning, he was beaten severely. His face was totally smashed in. Later I was informed he was rushed to a hospital where a craniotomy was done and his face plated back together.

I immediately went to the US Consul, and I told them "You need to fucking do something, he is going to die!" Their response "Ma'am, we sincerely apologize for this terrible ordeal you are going through, but we cannot interfere with another state's justice system. Things will work out, we are doing everything in our power to help."

I told them "You need to get him released so he can be in a proper secure prison, not this rat-infested cesspool. Man up, and start actually trying to help him! Don't you have FAST Marines protecting this site? You can deploy them to extract him so he can be moved to safety!" "Ma'am, if we do anything that could even be construed as a threat to Brazil's sovereignty, we will get expelled and then all bets are off. Please be patient, I know you are extremely frustrated; I would be too."

Eventually he recovered and was sent back to the prison. He was now partially-sighted in both eyes, and is on anti-seizure medication.

After six months, he had a trial, and he was sentenced to two years. During that period, he suffered another assault, and his hands were smashed.

At this point I said "I've had enough. The USN Fourth Fleet is stationed here. Perhaps threatening a naval blockade will convince them to release him." "Ma'am, I truly feel for you. This is a tragedy. But a naval blockade is an act of war, as I am sure you know, and starting a war with Brazil will not help him at all. We cannot break the law, let alone declare war, to rescue him. Unfortunately, it's just not worth it to risk the lives of thousands of Sailors and Marines for one person and effectively force Brazil to sever diplomatic relations and upset the entirety of South America. Once again none of this should have ever happened, but there's nothing we can legally do."

Apparently my friend's severe injuries that were suffered in Brazilian prison were not enough to convince the USFS officers to risk their jobs to ensure his safety. He is permanently disabled, and will never be able to fulfill his dream.

The USFS is lazy and does nothing to prevent evil from being inflicted upon our citizens in foreign countries. Apologies are not solutions! You may, gasp, have to break the law to dispense justice!

If there really is an "Alex", I would hope he is mature enough to hold his head high, realize you are with him (and vice versa) and either leave the scene or leave the area. It doesn't sound like the other guys initiated the violence.

What you're telling me is that your alleged boyfriend has security and trust issues, if he thinks you'll leave him for the first knucklehead who makes a pass at you (and if he *does* have legitimate cause to worry on that score, that's even less of a reason to start a fight).

TSLexi
11-29-2014, 06:33 PM
Those men and women signed up for the duty of spreading liberty and defending our interests.

TSLexi
11-29-2014, 06:34 PM
He wasn't my boyfriend. He was my friend.

Cissy
11-29-2014, 06:36 PM

You aren't proposing self defense. You're proposing aggression; my guess is that if this story is true, you put pressure on your boyfriend to start the fight so that you could be proud about being fought over by several men.

That act of proposed aggression didn't work out in your favor, so you're attempting to instigate another one--this time with mature men and women who know better than to play your games.

Zippyjuan
11-29-2014, 06:37 PM
It is not any of those. It is a reprisal. If someone got beaten to death for defending their friends from thugs, that is morally wrong. We spent lots of money to rescue American POWs in Japan and Germany, how is my friend's life any less valuable. Those soldiers lives will be used for a good cause.

Call out the Army! An American has been wronged! How many wars do you think we should start and how many $billions (or $trillions) and human lives should we spend to enforce this around the globe?

This is coming off as a drama queen.

Cissy
11-29-2014, 06:37 PM
Those men and women signed up for the duty of spreading liberty and defending our interests.

The interest of the State is not equivalent to the interest of TSLexi.

You are not the United States of America.

How are you coming on that tearful presentation to the media? How about a link to an interview or article which corroborates your version of events?

Cissy
11-29-2014, 06:39 PM
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQZJ0xLqLPx-sq9H263iLQVJb9gWDVZsLDN3-Mu5cEtDBpDcu1a

tod evans
11-29-2014, 07:02 PM

Silly child......

Soldiers march at the behest of politicians...

Can you buy or barter political favor?

The kind of "soldier" you're looking for is a mercenary and they work for money alone so that leaves out the political clout and barter options...

TSLexi
11-29-2014, 07:50 PM
You aren't proposing self defense. You're proposing aggression; my guess is that if this story is true, you put pressure on your boyfriend to start the fight so that you could be proud about being fought over by several men.

That act of proposed aggression didn't work out in your favor, so you're attempting to instigate another one--this time with mature men and women who know better than to play your games.

I didn't pressure him. Stop assuming.

TSLexi
11-29-2014, 07:50 PM
Silly child......

Soldiers march at the behest of politicians...

Can you buy or barter political favor?

The kind of "soldier" you're looking for is a mercenary and they work for money alone so that leaves out the political clout and barter options...

We have Brinks, Executive Outcomes, etc.

Demigod
11-29-2014, 08:07 PM
This has to be the strangest thread that I have read in a long time.

TSLexi
11-29-2014, 08:32 PM
This has to be the strangest thread that I have read in a long time.

Brazil has no right to be unjust and immoral just because they say they're sovereign. We have the Fourth Fleet in position, gunboat diplomacy will make them think twice about brutalizing an American, or anyone else.

TSLexi
11-29-2014, 08:43 PM
You're calling me insane because I want to fight injustice, destroy oppressive governments, and rescue the helpless! You're calling good evil!

Cissy
11-29-2014, 08:57 PM
You're calling me insane because I want to fight injustice, destroy oppressive governments, and rescue the helpless! You're calling good evil!

War inherently harms the innocent---it perpetuates injustice.

War enables and empowers oppressive governments--you will justify both governments becoming more oppressive.

War targets the helpless; it doesn't save them.

There are no guarantees in war. It's not a 20 minute cartoon where the "heroes" never are harmed and the "villains" get their comeuppance".

But as you continue to demonstrate, this is all a fiction of your creation. Not a shred of evidence---and you're certainly *not* using the resources already available to you even if this *were* a real occurrence.

What rational person logs onto an Internet forum and demands that strangers rally around her cries for war to "save a friend"?

I can think of ten things off of the top of my head that I would have done before now.

For one, I'd be so busy working as many hours as I could to raise money for his release, that I wouldn't have time to troll Internet forums. How many extra part time and on call gigs have you picked up to pay for the release of your "friend" for whom you claim to care so much, in addition to whatever you do full time?

TSLexi
11-29-2014, 09:00 PM
I have been working with my friends and family. Stop assuming things about people

Cissy
11-29-2014, 09:01 PM
I didn't pressure him. Stop assuming.

Uh-huh. You'll attempt pressure strangers on the Internet to do your bidding, but not your *dear Friend*, whom you care so much about but haven't bothered to earn the money to get him out of a known h***hole a year later? Is that the real reason why he's still there? He was useful for a free ride to Brazil, but you can't possibly be expected to help him out financially?

How many part time jobs have you picked up for the express purpose of setting aside enough money to get your "friend" out of his predicament? How much have you managed to save in the past year to donate towards his plight?

Or are you so selfish that you would rather others sacrifice their lives than you sacrifice your Benjamins?

If your friend is real, I'm feeling sorry for the poor guy.

tod evans
11-29-2014, 09:02 PM

No young lady you want others to fight your wars for you....

Are you the spawn of a politician?

Cissy
11-29-2014, 09:04 PM
I have been working with my friends and family. Stop assuming things about people

Clearly not, or you wouldn't have time to try to incite a war.

I'm willing to bet you've never gone to the media with your little fiction, despite the clear newsworthiness of an American citizen in foreign custody, since you still have failed to produce a single article, interview, or video chronicling what happened.

Moreover, you haven't bothered to work your arse off to raise the needed money. You've made that perfectly clear in this thread. Multiple times.

Cissy
11-29-2014, 09:05 PM
No young lady you want others to fight your wars for you....

Are you the spawn of a politician?

More likely a bored kid who thinks he's/she's being clever and is besting all the adults around him/her.

Zippyjuan
11-29-2014, 09:36 PM
How would invading Brazil help you, Alexis? Would they suddenly release all prisoners? Say "Oh no- we can't let this happen ever again! We are sorry". This whole thing is pretty silly. You wanted attention and got some. If your prescription of how to deal with the situation was not so extreme you might have gotten more sympathy.

Working Poor
11-29-2014, 09:37 PM
I can't believe you called the police in Brazil. What were you thinking? Unless you find an official to bribe you might as well face the fact that your friend is going to have to serve his sentence. The moral of this story is never call the cops especially if you are in a foreign country like Brazil with no bribe money. I hope you have someone taking him food each day.

Cissy
11-29-2014, 09:46 PM
I can't believe you called the police in Brazil. What were you thinking? Unless you find an official to bribe you might as well face the fact that your friend is going to have to serve his sentence. The moral of this story is never call the cops especially if you are in a foreign country like Brazil with no bribe money. I hope you have someone taking him food each day.

He/She likely hasn't thought of that. Or the possibility that whomever brings him food may have to be bribed and/or bring a bribe to ensure that the food isn't confiscated by the guards.

I think it far more likely that no one is rotting in a Brazillian prison. Really--none of the OPs friends or family members, or the allegedly imprisoned victim's family members went to the local American media to report the story? No one? Are we to believe that they are more trusting of the generosity of police in a third world nation than America's media?

I also find it hard to believe that her Brazillian friend didn't warn her *against* going to the Brazillian police or that she didn't know how corrupt police are in third world countries.

More likely, the OP is a bored child looking for something to do over Thanksgiving break.

tod evans
11-30-2014, 06:22 AM
I got this in a P/M last night?

Looks like she wasn't always a "young lady". The thread here gives you a bit of background.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forum...?f=14&t=217511

It provides background to this:
http://ads.okcimg.com/profile/TSLexi?cf=profile_similar

and this: http://www.es.transgays.com/escort/t...6#.VHptWNLF8xg

I think I know what the "inappropriate touching" was- checking for "man junk". Definitely a "drama queen".

[edit]

Wierd!

None of those links work now but the first did last night before I crashed?

Can't find it on the wayback machine either.....:o

Maybe I've been spammed? I'm not 'puter literate enough to chase it down...

[edit-2]

Do yourself a favor and don't Google the OP's handle! :eek:

Suzanimal
11-30-2014, 06:44 AM
PM me your number, I may be able to help...or at least help pass the next two years.

I had no idea you were into that Danke.:D

First and foremost, I am transsexual. So if that's not something you're open to, I completely understand. I was born in the Philippines, but I grew up in southern California. I only know how to say three things in Tagalog, "Hello, how are you", "I'm pretty" and “It’s time to eat.” Of course, the important things :). I do live my life for all intents and purposes as female, but I have no intention of getting SRS. I accept that part of me that makes me unique.

http://www.okcupid.com/profile/TSLexi?cf=profile_similar

Acala
11-30-2014, 08:57 AM
Is this thread for real?

Cissy
11-30-2014, 09:52 AM
I got this in a P/M last night?

Looks like she wasn't always a "young lady". The thread here gives you a bit of background.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forum...?f=14&t=217511

It provides background to this:
http://ads.okcimg.com/profile/TSLexi?cf=profile_similar

and this: http://www.es.transgays.com/escort/t...6#.VHptWNLF8xg

I think I know what the "inappropriate touching" was- checking for "man junk". Definitely a "drama queen".

[edit]

Wierd!

None of those links work now but the first did last night before I crashed?

Can't find it on the wayback machine either.....:o

Maybe I've been spammed? I'm not 'puter literate enough to chase it down...

[edit-2]

Do yourself a favor and don't Google the OP's handle! :eek:

From the Top Law Schools (http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=217511&start=75) thread we learn that:

The OP, who had an AA degree (Yet later in the thread, says he/she doesn't even have the degree....), but not a BA/BS at the time of the thread, is angry at her parents for pulling their financial support for college because she "came out". (Because entitlement to parents' money is such a libertarian ideal).

The OP cannot afford her beloved school overseas because of it.

The OP ignores the advice of people in the thread to finish his BS, get a good score on the LSAT, and get into a good law school.

The OP insists that he wants to be a paralegal and read law despite the advice of those who inform the OP that the market is saturated and that this is an unwise career choice.

The OP's parents have ruined his life. (Apparently the OP likes the privileges of adulthood, but not the responsibilities.)

The situation isn't the OP's fault; it's the parents' fault for letting her experience the natural consequences for her actions. (Noticing a pattern....) By the way, if you were my kid and you were in your late 20s/30s and *still* hadn't finished an AA/BA/BS, I'd inform you that you needed to pay for the rest of college yourself, because clearly you haven't been working your tail off to finish your degree if you haven't completed by now. I'm willing to bet that mommy and daddy were tired of you partying on their dime and expecting that the gravy train would continue until you decided you were done partying and ready to grow up.

I'm not a lawyer, but the drama implicit in these two forum posts alone would make me question hiring this person to work for me as a paralegal. I know I would not tolerate an entitlement attitude in a subordinate. Definitely wouldn't want someone trying to incite a war working for me.

The picture that the OP has chosen to paint of himself/herself is not a terribly flattering one, but perhaps it is a genuine one---a late 20s /30 something who is still in school, ignores those with experience in the chosen field as to the best way to achieve her goals, mooches off a friend for a trip to Brazil, gets the corrupt local police involved, is *shocked* at the expected consequence of that decision, and then demands strangers on the Internet to fight a war over it; is angry at his parents for cutting off college support for coming out as a transsexual (and really---most people the OP's age have gotten themselves off the parental teat and are supporting themselves, barring mental illness or some such which prevents them from doing so).

OP, your problem isn't strangers on the Internet. You need to take responsibility for yourself, finish your degree, work full time doing anything that earns you enough money to pay your own bills (note that I did not say "work full time doing only what you *want* to be doing---you don't have that luxury given your clear failure to meet your life goals. Get some work experience doing something else, *then* get a full time job at your dream job once you meet all the qualifications). If you don't want to take out student loans, that's fine--just set aside money for tuition. Set aside extra money from your part time / on call jobs to save your "friend" (whom you haven't bothered to go to the media about OR save up money to rescue for the past year) and enjoy the responsibilities and privileges of being a responsible adult.

Man, this whole affair from the perspective of the "friend" *really* stinks. I'm feeling sorry for that guy, and *really* hope that he is a product of fiction.

Cissy
11-30-2014, 10:04 AM
Is this thread for real?

If I had a friend rotting in a foreign prison, the *last* thing I would do is to sign up for a random Internet forum a year later and spill my tale of woe, hoping for sympathy and people gullible enough to cry havoc and let loose the dogs of war.

tod evans
11-30-2014, 10:17 AM
Hell I'm embarrassed for simply saying if she shook her ass I might be convinced to throw a couple of punches on her behalf...:o

Guess if my ol' ass is ever in a Brazilian bar getting flirted with I too will need to do a vagina check before opening either my mouth or my wallet, let along dispensing blows...

Kudos to the locals!

Origanalist
11-30-2014, 11:44 AM
Is this thread for real?

https://sp.yimg.com/ib/th?id=HN.608039933521759764&pid=15.1&P=0

Cissy
11-30-2014, 07:27 PM
Hell I'm embarrassed for simply saying if she shook her ass I might be convinced to throw a couple of punches on her behalf...:o

Guess if my ol' ass is ever in a Brazilian bar getting flirted with I too will need to do a vagina check before opening either my mouth or my wallet, let along dispensing blows...

Kudos to the locals!

If the story is true. I suspect not. If it's not, that's one messed up friendship.

(1 year ago)

Friend: So, want to accompany me to Carnival?

OP: I'd love to.

Friend: "Get out of here; we've got to get out now."

OP: Get out and get the police, got it.

Friend: Tell me I didn't hear you say---

(Present)

Friend: "So You talked to your friends and family, right? You're finally getting me out of here, right?"

OP: "Well, I have a new scheme. I'm going to see if I can provoke strangers on the Internet to demand the US invade Brazil. The US will win and you'll be set free. Won't that be wild?"

Friend: "That's ridiculous. Even if the US did invade Brazil over mistreatment of prisoners---what do you think Brazil *might* do to prevent the US from completing its objective?"

OP: *blank stare*

Friend: You really don't think the Powers that Be in Brazil aren't willing to terminate their own prisoners, if it would mean they would win the war effort?

OP: But---the strangers. On another forum.

Friend: At least tell me you've spent the last year saving up money so we can bribe the right people.

OP: Right---about that----

NorthCarolinaLiberty
12-07-2014, 11:02 AM
LOL. Plus rep. This is how it's done!

NorthCarolinaLiberty
12-07-2014, 11:21 AM
It looks like Lexi has a boyfriend in Iran too! Bwwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!

http://www.debate.org/debates/Should-we-take-out-Iran/1/

Should we take out Iran?

We could first institute a blockade of the Gulf of Oman, and take oil tankers sailing from or to it as prizes. This will a) increase morale of our Sailors, as they stand to personally benefit from successful completion of their mission, b) boost our economy as the Sailors will spend their prize money when they return home, and c) weaken Iran's economy.

We can aim our nukes at Russia to prevent them from interfering.

Once Iran's economy has been sufficiently weakened, we can blitzkrieg them using our Marines, and send in the Army to occupy their oil fieldswhileour oil companies take over extraction.

We have the largest and most capable armed forces in the world. We can do this easily. The money spent on this operation will easily pay for itself more than a thousand times over.

We can count on Israel to assist us, as with Iran firmly underUS control, Palestinian terrorists will have no more support. Then proper peacemaking efforts between them can take place.

NorthCarolinaLiberty
12-07-2014, 11:39 AM
CPUd,

If you read this thread, can you post the link to that thread about Nicklibergamer34? I can't find it. You were talking about bots and how they build up profiles on different websites and then sell the entire package. I'm guessing this is the same kind of thing, but it seems like a lot of trouble and elaboration. Of course, you did say that getting a lot of replies in a thread builds the value.

Whatever it is--still funny stuff. lol

Working Poor
12-07-2014, 11:42 AM
I wonder if you realize that you did this to your friend by calling the cops? Now accept responsibility for your actions...

Indy Vidual
12-07-2014, 11:53 AM
Well, we were having a great time partying, and he was getting really drunk. Along with just about everyone else, except me....

You were sober and should have left with your friend when you saw he was getting wasted. Sorry it ended so badly.

Henry Rogue
12-07-2014, 11:58 AM
It looks like Lexi has a boyfriend in Iran too! Bwwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!

http://www.debate.org/debates/Should-we-take-out-Iran/1/

Peter King says
Me likey Lexi. I will fight Danke for Lexi.

Barrex
12-07-2014, 12:37 PM
I never said we're perfect. But we are better than them. Not all cultures and civilizations are equal.How many people have to suffer under brutality before we say enough is enough?

http://files.gamebanana.com/img/ico/sprays/hitlergay.jpg
Yes... Jews and BRAZILIANS are not equal to us... throw in vegetarians and I will join you.

Yes!!! Because he is uber-mensch and lesser races cant touch one of "US".

Yes.

Scumbags stole my bike!!! You (and the rest of this forum) must now give me 5000 dollars so I can pay private detectives to find who did it and then pay mercinaries to beat the shit out of those thieves. If you dont then you are not American and you are supporting torture and injustice. You are calling good evil. You hate little children and kittens. You have no heart... and you are probably a GINGER; and we all know that GINGERS dont have souls.

You want other people to fight your wars...LITERALLY
You didnt do anything (going to other people and talking/demanding them to do something is not doing it is talking).

P.s.
I know who you are:
CAUTION IS ADVISED.
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ)

12-07-2014, 06:30 PM
Is this thread for real?

Doubt it. I think a lot of people here got trolled.

Zippyjuan
12-07-2014, 06:38 PM
S/he hasn't been back. Checked in once after last post.