PDA

View Full Version : BILL WHITTLE: FERGUSON AND THE REAL RACE WAR

Danke
11-27-2014, 04:47 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGTUcS-yQtQ

juleswin
11-27-2014, 09:28 AM
I have yet to see a video with more straw-man arguments than this one. I bet a lot of the stats (except for the National crime victimization survey which is just a household survey just like a poll) he used in this video are true and even more I agree with his assertion that there is really no war on blacks by the police, I will explain why I said "really". It has reached to a point where "war" and "epidemic" are used to describe everything every outrage w hen less extreme words would do. So its not a war and its not an epidemic.

The straw-man arguments

One, virtually nobody is saying Micheal Brown is innocent of robbing the store, what a lot of his supporters protesting are saying is that he did not deserve to be killed. There are a lot of guilty people who have committed heinous crimes that do not deserve to be killed even after a trial.

He said "Micheal Brown has been repeatedly referred in the media as a gentle giant". He then shows the video of Micheal Brown strong arming the 4ft nothing, unarmed, old man. But what he conveniently left out in his story telling is that nobody in the media continued to call him a gentle giant after the surveillance video came it. But he tells it in a way that gives his viewers the impression that this continued after the video had been released.

Next, he talks about evidence of how Micheal Brown would have behaved in a confrontation with the police officer by showing video of the surveillance store robbery. The problem is that evidence of how Micheal Brown acted when facing a 4ft nothing, old, unarmed shopkeeper is not evidence of how he would react when facing a 6ft +, armed, young police officer. Most people act differently when facing their nice, easy going parent (usually the mom) than they will act when facing their strict, stern, take no nonsense parent (usually the dad). Show me a video of him acting all tough with a big man, armed, authority type and then I will consider your evidence

He then talks about epidemic of white cop on black innocent victim violence. Again I think he deliberately mis-characterized the argument. Ofc, there's no epidemic of anything in America not H1N1, not child poverty, no college rapes and certainly not white cops shooting black innocent victims. Every time epidemic is used to describe just about any problem in America, just automatically consider it as hyperbolic. The problem is police brutality which in its extreme leads to shooting and death. Maybe police brutality has gone up or its being exposed more in the world of cell phone cameras. The point is that more people are aware of it and are troubled by it. Now consider that black people tend to commit more crimes and as such are in contact with the police more than any other group, this seemingly increased occurrence of police brutality would occur more to blacks than any other group. Add a little bit of in-group bias at play and the numbers are even that more skewed against blacks.

He also talks about 1100 robberies per day in the US and somehow connects it to 1000 type events leading up to the incident in Ferguson. But ofc, not because they had 1100 robberies in the US means that the cops made contact with the robbers anytime during the robbing or escape. We have no idea how many of those robberies resulted in some kind of confrontation between robber and cop, so why inject it the debate?

Yea, the 320, 082 white victims of black criminals is unfortunate and nobody in society condones it or thinks these these criminals attacking white folks. But apart from a little in group bias at play, these criminals are motivated by financial reward not racial hatred. Black people as a whole are at the bottom(or near bottom) of per capita earning, whites are tops (or near the top) and anyone playing the numbers game would pick a white person to attack for money than a black person. Its essentially comes down to poor people stealing from rich people. Its just a numbers thing not a racial thing and describing it a war on whites is him fanning the flames on racial war exactly the same thing he accuses the progressives of doing.

When I said in the first paragraph that its not "really" racist, what I mean is that had the cop been black instead of a white, the chances of the cop using a less violent method to resolve this increases. This is because the more a person sees the perp as part of his in group, the less likely they would use excess violence on them. This happens with just every group, tribe, religion etc and the more the connections, the stronger this bias.

Ofc him presenting it in a calm, articulate voice with well place emotional sound track playing doesn't mean he got his analysis right.