PDA

View Full Version : Blatant State Worship

Cissy
11-26-2014, 06:12 PM
Let's not mince words. This is worship; if you are a Christian and support or "like" this, you are committing an act of worship. May God forgive you.

https://scontent-b-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/10250296_790355454355339_16780745771414099_n.jpg?o h=657abe4726a6d041005d6146248f93bd&oe=54DCE5EB

Unwanted: Fair enough; I don't want someone--with a high statistical probability of shooting my dogs, my elderly relations or myself or bombing children and infants who have the misfortune to stand in doorways or lie in cribs--"inviting" themselves into my domicile. This is not because I am anti-police; this is because I am of the old-fashioned opinion that anyone who thinks that criminal behavior is acceptable or justifiable is a psychopath or sociopath.

Being underpaid? Here the median salary is about 52k for a police officer. I make less than half of that. And my employer wouldn't put up with 1/10 of the abusive, criminal nonsense that the enforcers for the State pull.

Doing the unthinkable: Yes, I would agree that 99% of people would not see a golden retriever and view it as a deadly threat, or justify bombing an infant in a crib. Certain actions used to be considered "unthinkable" for a reason.

For the ungrateful: I'm grateful for people who do their part to improve themselves and seek to be good neighbors to one another. Shoveling your elderly neighbor's sidewalk so she can collect her mail? That's basic human decency, and I'd say in most cases the elderly neighbor would be grateful for the neighbor's kindness. Pointing a gun in someone's face during a traffic stop which *you initiated*? Don't complain about how ungrateful people are. That's an abusive mentality. "After all I've done for [Victim], I'm still not appreciated."

Henry Rogue
11-26-2014, 06:36 PM
Well said Cissy.

The ungrateful part in that meme really gets me agitated .

ghengis86
11-26-2014, 06:38 PM
Maybe they just can't take a hint. If you're unwanted, unappeciated, underpaid by the ungrateful people with whom you're employed, you're usually fired or quit on your own.

But that concept is probably too tough to grasp for these people.

SeanTX
11-26-2014, 07:42 PM
Yes, I would agree -- much of what they do is "unthinkable."

When putting together a pro-state propaganda meme it might be wise to not use words that have a negative connotation ...

Anti Federalist
11-26-2014, 07:51 PM
For the ungrateful: I'm grateful for people who do their part to improve themselves and seek to be good neighbors to one another. Shoveling your elderly neighbor's sidewalk so she can collect her mail? That's basic human decency, and I'd say in most cases the elderly neighbor would be grateful for the neighbor's kindness. Pointing a gun in someone's face during a traffic stop which *you initiated*? Don't complain about how ungrateful people are. That's an abusive mentality. "After all I've done for [Victim], I'm still not appreciated."

Exactly right.

We are stuck in an abusive, battered relationship, with no hope of peaceful divorce.

Rationalization:

After the violence, the abuser may have feelings of "guilt" -- not normal guilt, in which they feel sorry for having hurt another person, but a kind of guilt that is really just fear of getting caught. "I shouldn't have done that," they may think, "because I may get caught." The abuser can't stand any kind of guilt for long, so they quickly move on to the rationalization stage.

Here, the abuser tells himself that the one really at fault is the victim; they also tell that to the victim. For example, the abuser will tell their partner, "You shouldn't have made me mad" or "You should shut-up when I tell you to" or "How do you expect me to act when you are so unreasonable?" A perpetrator may say "They were acted like they wanted it" or " They asked for it."

When the abuser blames the victim, they are justifying their own behavior and giving themselves permission to continue behaving that way. When the abuser rationalizes, they completely ignore any personal responsibility they might have for the abuse.

Anti Federalist
11-26-2014, 07:52 PM
coastie wrote it up once that summed it up perfectly...wish my search fu was strong enough to find it.

kcchiefs6465
11-26-2014, 07:56 PM
coastie wrote it up once that summed it up perfectly...wish my search fu was strong enough to find it.
Quite a few have.

Nonetheless, it's refreshing to see that someone gets it.

ClydeCoulter
11-26-2014, 08:40 PM
I hope that meme doesn't come up on my FB timeline. I'll expose myself big time!

edit: I mean, with my clothes on.

Anti Federalist
11-26-2014, 08:46 PM
Maybe they just can't take a hint. If you're unwanted, unappeciated, underpaid by the ungrateful people with whom you're employed, you're usually fired or quit on your own.

But that concept is probably too tough to grasp for these people.

Or you go bankrupt.

Great points.

+rep

Cissy
11-26-2014, 08:56 PM
Let's not mince words. This is worship; if you are a Christian and support or "like" this, you are committing an act of worship. May God forgive you.

https://scontent-b-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/10250296_790355454355339_16780745771414099_n.jpg?o h=657abe4726a6d041005d6146248f93bd&oe=54DCE5EB

Unwanted: Fair enough; I don't want someone--with a high statistical probability of shooting my dogs, my elderly relations or myself or bombing children and infants who have the misfortune to stand in doorways or lie in cribs--"inviting" themselves into my domicile. This is not because I am anti-police; this is because I am of the old-fashioned opinion that anyone who thinks that criminal behavior is acceptable or justifiable is a psychopath or sociopath.

Being underpaid? Here the median salary is about 52k for a police officer. I make less than half of that. And my employer wouldn't put up with 1/10 of the abusive, criminal nonsense that the enforcers for the State pull.

Doing the unthinkable: Yes, I would agree that 99% of people would not see a golden retriever and view it as a deadly threat, or justify bombing an infant in a crib. Certain actions used to be considered "unthinkable" for a reason.

Let's do a comparison

Jesus the Christ

Unwanted: Isaiah 53:3

Underpaid: Carpenter (Mark 6:3)

Unappreciated: Luke 23:37-39

Doing the Unthinkable: Romans 5:8

For the ungrateful: Luke 22:63; Mark 14:65

If your meme can truthfully apply to the Savior of mankind, and you're using it to praise men---may God forgive you.

Christian Liberty
11-26-2014, 09:14 PM
The Police:

The Unwanted for good reason, doing the unthinkably evil with a clear conscience, for the ungrateful victims unappreciated by those few who are sane...

I'm not sure how to make the "underpaid" meme work though. That's just blatantly false:p

I totally agree with the OP.

Cissy
11-26-2014, 09:20 PM

I would like to read it if anyone finds it.

muh_roads
11-26-2014, 09:24 PM
Didn't know I was supposed to appreciate dog killers.

TheTexan
11-26-2014, 09:25 PM
Cool image. /salute our unsung heroes

TheTexan
11-26-2014, 09:25 PM
Most of you have no idea how many lives these cops save. Granted, 99.99% of the time that life is their own, but still.

presence
11-26-2014, 10:06 PM
http://i.imgur.com/ydUimop.jpg

Let's not mince words.

Occam's Banana
11-26-2014, 11:04 PM
Most of you have no idea how many lives these cops save. Granted, 99.99% of the time that life is their own, but still.

Well, now, wait just a minute! Let's be fair and even-handed here.

Very rarely, cops might do something hurtful or injurious - accidentally, mind you - when their own lives are not actually in any danger.

So a more realistic number would be, say ... 99.97% ...

CrissyNY
11-26-2014, 11:08 PM

the number of christians i know who are into this worship makes me weep

these are otherwise good people, but when it comes to cops and wars, they are bloodthirsty:(

Cissy
11-26-2014, 11:16 PM
the number of christians i know who are into this worship makes me weep

these are otherwise good people, but when it comes to cops and wars, they are bloodthirsty:(

It's precisely the opposite reaction of our first century counterparts, who sought to win over the bloodthirsty Roman soldiers for Christ; not celebrate how the centurions kept order in the Empire and how they kept everyone safe. One can't picture a first century house church with a Roman eagle prominently displayed and the centurion converts being called to stand before the group to receive commendations for faithful service.

CrissyNY
11-26-2014, 11:22 PM
maybe it was simpler for them, their faith being against their government...eaten by lions was pretty clear cut anti-govt action

allotta christians on facebook nowadays out-christian each other by vowing who will kill more muslims for christ

and these are people i know

Cissy
11-26-2014, 11:35 PM
maybe it was simpler for them, their faith being against their government...eaten by lions was pretty clear cut anti-govt action

allotta christians on facebook nowadays out-christian each other by vowing who will kill more muslims for christ

and these are people i know

I wouldn't say "simpler". some people back then who were convinced they were of God's kingdom were adamantly of the belief that they needed to off a few 'infidels' as well. That old lie has been adjusted to be more in line with modern sensibilities.

I would say it's decades (even centuries) of pro-state indoctrination. I remember reading stories of pastors who, pre-WWII, refused to house American flags, etc. in their churches, for fear of state worship. Generations of Christians have grown up convinced that they are in the right to love the State (police, military, senator-of-choice, rep-of-choice) as much as they do. They operate under the assumption that if someone is military/police and attends church, he or she *must* be a believer battling crime in the streets in the name of The Lord.

It's easy to love the State---it's easy to love the police and the military.

It's hard to walk the road Christ walked---and when that includes condemning the beloved police for brutality, some take the easier path.