PDA

View Full Version : Lame-duck GOP House Approves Tax Hike on Duck Hunters

Brett85
11-20-2014, 08:55 AM
Why didn't Amash or Massie object to this?

http://www.thenewamerican.com/usnews/congress/item/19568-lame-duck-gop-house-approves-tax-hike

Anyone expecting the upcoming Republican Congress to start hacking away at taxes and unconstitutional laws might want to consider what the already GOP-controlled House of Representatives approved on Monday: a $119-million tax hike.

Despite a threat from a conservative group to hold congressmen accountable for voting for the bill, the House passed the Federal Duck Stamp Act of 2014, which would increase the price of federal migratory waterfowl hunting permits, also known as duck stamps, from $15 to $25. Anyone wishing to hunt migratory waterfowl such as ducks and geese must purchase a duck stamp annually.

The Congressional Budget Office (CBO) estimates the tax will raise $119 million. That revenue would be used to purchase easements for wetlands conservation.

In remarks on the House floor, Rep. John Fleming (R-La.), who sponsored the bill, said it would “modestly increase” the duck stamp fee — by 67 percent. He argued that the increase is necessary “to restore the buying power of the conservation tool which has been used to acquire, conserve, lease, and restore thousands of acres of wetlands.” Left unmentioned was the reason for the erosion of the fee’s purchasing power since 1991, when it was last raised: the Federal Reserve’s relentless inflation of the money supply. Nor did Fleming point to any provision of the Constitution that gives the federal government the authority either to mandate waterfowl hunting permits or to buy up land for conservation.

Fleming did note, however, that the “legislation has been endorsed by Ducks Unlimited and more than 30 national conservation organizations,” many of whom (he again failed to mention) would prefer to have someone else foot the bill for conservation. To be fair, though, some of the endorsing organizations’ members will get stuck paying the extra $10 a year; the National Rifle Association, the Boone and Crockett Club, and the National Wild Turkey Federation are among the bill’s supporters.

House Budget Committee chairman Rep. Paul Ryan (R-Wis.), who has been accused of being a budget slasher and Ayn Rand acolyte, also spoke in favor of the tax hike, declaring himself “a proud supporter of this legislation.” He stumped for exempting the bill from the House’s “cut-as-you-go” rule, which prohibits hiking taxes to offset new spending, on the grounds that the bill increases “user fees, not taxes” — a distinction without much of a difference — and, according to the CBO’s projections, “reduces the deficit” by $5 million, assuming Congress doesn’t raise spending.

Americans for Prosperity (AFP) wasn’t buying any of this guff. Just before the House was scheduled to vote on the duck stamp bill, the conservative political-advocacy group issued a press release blasting the proposed fee hike.

“Just weeks after voters repudiated the liberal agenda of high taxes and out of control spending,” AFP wrote, “the scrooges in Congress want to ask American families for even more of their paycheck to help fund a bloated, oversized government that cannot properly do the few things it is supposed to be doing, never mind all of the things it is not supposed to be doing.”

AFP reminded readers that the federal government “took in more money this year than ever before” — over $3 trillion — yet “squandered much of it wastefully and inefficiently.”

“Duck stamp revenue,” the group continued, “fits the bill of Washington ineptitude — the tax on hunters is used to give more land to the federal government, which already owns over a quarter of all the land in the country and cannot manage it properly.”

AFP threatened to “key vote” the legislation on their Congressional scorecard, making it clear to their 2.5 million activists which of their elected officials — there’s a companion Senate bill sponsored by Sen. David Vitter (R-La.) — voted for the bill. “A vote in favor of this middle-class tax increase would undoubtedly ruffle the feathers of voters back home,” the group stated.

House leaders easily parried the threat of a bad showing on AFP’s scorecard. “Although the measure was slated to be voted on at 6:30 p.m. Monday evening, according to a leadership agenda, it was voice voted instead, meaning no lawmaker had to go on record for or against the bill,” reported Politico.

Thus, Americans will never know which of their representatives voted to increase this unconstitutional tax on duck hunters — and for that they ought to be crying fowl.

Brett85
11-20-2014, 08:57 AM
Perhaps they just weren't in the chamber to object to it. Hopefully Rand will force a vote on this in the Senate, to at least put Senate members on record for supporting a tax increase.

jbauer
11-20-2014, 09:42 AM
Ok, if you take away the constitutional argument about whether there should be any hunting restrictions at all on waterfowl.

What exactly is the issue with increasing the fee to pay for the services provided? I don't hunt thus I don't pay the fee. Aren't we supposed to advocate paying for services rendered?

oyarde
11-20-2014, 10:03 AM
Ok, if you take away the constitutional argument about whether there should be any hunting restrictions at all on waterfowl.

What exactly is the issue with increasing the fee to pay for the services provided? I don't hunt thus I don't pay the fee. Aren't we supposed to advocate paying for services rendered?

the fee is too high , it is in addition to a state stamp and state license , total cost about $70 and there is a bag limit.Are you going to pay $70 and an extra $15 over cost of ordinary for a box of federally approved duck hunting shells to take two ducks when you can buy two at the butcher for $20 ? Now , if you are caught not using federally approved stamp , shells or a weapon that will hold more than the three shells , there are fines for that .These fines prop up the state stasi ( conservation officers ) .

oyarde
11-20-2014, 10:05 AM
The $15 stamp was too high , 67 percent increase is ridiculous.

Brett85
11-20-2014, 10:05 AM

Good point. I never thought about it that way. I guess there's still the Constitutional issue and the question of why the increase needed to be that big.

oyarde
11-20-2014, 10:07 AM
Just what the Feds need , more stolen money to buy more land . Fuck these guys , all of them .

Brett85
11-20-2014, 10:09 AM
Is the fee just to hunt ducks and geese on land owned by the federal government? Or does this apply to people hunting on their own land?

oyarde
11-20-2014, 10:10 AM
There are basically about two types of duck hunters. People of wealth who do it for fun and the poor who do it to feed themselves .Rep.'s hate the poor and like to steal from them .

oyarde
11-20-2014, 10:11 AM
Is the fee just to hunt ducks and geese on land owned by the federal government? Or does this apply to people hunting on their own land?

Everywhere , Migratory birds are the property of the Feds. This includes birds that are not migratory but are listed as such , like Doves

jbauer
11-20-2014, 10:15 AM
the fee is too high , it is in addition to a state stamp and state license , total cost about $70 and there is a bag limit.Are you going to pay $70 and an extra $15 over cost of ordinary for a box of federally approved duck hunting shells to take two ducks when you can buy two at the butcher for $20 ? Now , if you are caught not using federally approved stamp , shells or a weapon that will hold more than the three shells , there are fines for that .These fines prop up the state stasi ( conservation officers ) .

Well...don't hunt. Buy the duck at the butcherer and refuse to pay the fee. If everyone in America did that then you'd unfund the stasi overnight. Alternatively, raise the ducks on your own property and pay for the feed required. You can have duck every meal of every day if you raise enough ducks.

jbauer
11-20-2014, 10:18 AM
Everywhere , Migratory birds are the property of the Feds. This includes birds that are not migratory but are listed as such , like Doves

Migratory birds are very interesting. How would a libertarian view them? If they spend 5% of their life on your property do you own 5% of the flock? Do you take 100% possession of them the minute they fly into your airspace or land on your pond?

Interested in the responses.

Pericles
11-20-2014, 10:24 AM
Good point. I never thought about it that way. I guess there's still the Constitutional issue and the question of why the increase needed to be that big.

It is a serious Constitutional issue. The founders of this country were so concerned about your ability to hunt ducks, that an entire amendment to the Constitution was devoted to the subject.

oyarde
11-20-2014, 10:25 AM
I never take more than a couple ducks in a day because that is all I want to pluck. I hunt ducks maybe four days a yr . Doves are listed as Migratory, but mine stay here .There are also possession limits ,you may only be allowed to have four ducks of a certain type in your freezer .

oyarde
11-20-2014, 10:29 AM
Migratory birds are very interesting. How would a libertarian view them? If they spend 5% of their life on your property do you own 5% of the flock? Do you take 100% possession of them the minute they fly into your airspace or land on your pond?

Interested in the responses.
LOL , my Fathers view was once it eats your crops you are entitled to eat it if you wish .

jbauer
11-20-2014, 10:35 AM
Looks like ducklings run between $4-7 a piece....which is quite expensive in my mind. Plus the cost of raising them and the risk of predators. I'd bet you can get them at the local feed store for less in the spring. I've never raised ducks but have raised plenty of chickens.

So retaliative to the free market, it still looks like shooting wild ones might be cheaper then raising them. Even with the rise in stamp prices.

jbauer
11-20-2014, 10:40 AM
LOL , my Fathers view was once it eats your crops you are entitled to eat it if you wish .

LOL, not a bad comment. I'd think you need to quantify how to compensate those who didn't get to eat the bird who certainly ate someone else's crop?

Got a funny story for you. We had a beautiful cheery tree LOADED with cherries one year. They were about a day from being ripe...this was a Friday, we were going to pick and process on Saturday. On Friday at lunch time about 250-500 starlings showed up and cleaned the tree bear in less then 5 minutes.

Dirty bastards!!! That was the only year that tree produced cherries in any quantity. It died a year or two later.

oyarde
11-20-2014, 10:41 AM
Duck stamp 1934 , One Dollar , and below $5 until 1972 , 1989 went to $12.50 . They claim that all but 30 cents of ea stamp is used for the Feds to acquire more land . Nice scam.

oyarde
11-20-2014, 10:44 AM
Looks like ducklings run between $4-7 a piece....which is quite expensive in my mind. Plus the cost of raising them and the risk of predators. I'd bet you can get them at the local feed store for less in the spring. I've never raised ducks but have raised plenty of chickens.

So retaliative to the free market, it still looks like shooting wild ones might be cheaper then raising them. Even with the rise in stamp prices.
I used to raise them and the $4 range is about right or , around two to four times a chicken . A wild wood duck tastes better though .

morfeeis
11-20-2014, 10:45 AM
The $15 stamp was too high , 67 percent increase is ridiculous.

That is my biggest problem with it, if the hike is truly related to cost then the increase should be equal to that increase. There is no way their cost have gone up or should go up %70. As always a money grab to fund something else on the backs of an act that shouldn't be taxed in the first place.

presence
11-20-2014, 10:47 AM
"Badges?

We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges.
http://www.coetail.com/gotanda/files/2013/12/stinking-badges-e1351004026154.jpg
I don't have to show you any stinkin' badges!"

Fuck them. If it flies over my home I'll put that shit in my oven and eat it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhKq9JvssB8

oyarde
11-20-2014, 10:50 AM
That is my biggest problem with it, if the hike is truly related to cost then the increase should be equal to that increase. There is no way their cost have gone up or should go up %70. As always a money grab to fund something else on the backs of an act that shouldn't be taxed in the first place.

That's about how I see it and they have no cost , they just use it for acquisition . I do not support the Feds holding more land or making me help pay for it to hunt on private land. It is a scam .

oyarde
11-20-2014, 10:51 AM
As always .You are correct to term it that way.They have an established bad behavior problem .

Brett85
11-20-2014, 10:57 AM

Then I certainly don't see how the fee benefits duck hunters in any way. It's not a user fee as jbauer was saying. If it were simply a user fee for the right to hunt on federal land, that probably wouldn't be a big deal.

oyarde
11-20-2014, 11:16 AM
Then I certainly don't see how the fee benefits duck hunters in any way. It's not a user fee as jbauer was saying. If it were simply a user fee for the right to hunt on federal land, that probably wouldn't be a big deal.

If you happen to hunt on Fed land that was bought with these dollars , you may feel it benefits you . I do not , nor is it a user fee for me . The Ducks I hunt pass through here from another country , so really I would be better off to give them $2 ?

oyarde
11-20-2014, 11:18 AM
Perhaps they just weren't in the chamber to object to it. Hopefully Rand will force a vote on this in the Senate, to at least put Senate members on record for supporting a tax increase.
I would never vote for any Rep. or Senator that supported this . In essence , they could never be trusted again not to raise more taxes or take more land into the Fed fold .All things I do not desire .

Brett85
11-20-2014, 11:19 AM
If you happen to hunt on Fed land that was bought with these dollars , you may feel it benefits you . I do not , nor is it a user fee for me . The Ducks I hunt pass through here from another country , so really I would be better off to give them $2 ?

It probably doesn't benefit most duck hunters. Most duck hunters where I live hunt on their own land or get permission to hunt on the land of other private land owners.

oyarde
11-20-2014, 11:20 AM
It probably doesn't benefit most duck hunters. Most duck hunters where I live hunt on their own land or get permission to hunt on the land of other private land owners.

Same here .

oyarde
11-20-2014, 11:22 AM
I see that Rep from Louisiana sponsored this .If I recall LA has the highest non resident hunting state duck stamp in the US at around $25 .So they just like theft .

HOLLYWOOD
11-20-2014, 11:26 AM
The $15 stamp was too high , 67 percent increase is ridiculous.I caught this on C-SPAN LIVE was going to post a thread, not only the ridiculous increase, but the big government GOP clowns that pushed for the increase. Then the truth started filtering out... we get to spend money to fix this and fix that. What does that truly mean? Well, it means, I get campaign contributions from companies and individuals given the millions in government contracts to "Fix This & Fix That".

March 1934, Congress passed, President Roosevelt signed, the Migratory Bird Hunting Stamp Act, popularly known as the Duck Stamp Act
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Duck_Stamp)
This whole scheme shows you, it's 2 wings of the vulture party, selling the American people out for campaign contributions and a tenure of aristocracy and profiteering. The part to especially note: GOP had a voice vote to increase taxes $120 million. All you need to know.

If you're interested for the record who pushed this progressive increase, here's the C-SPAN video/text coverage link: https://archive.org/details/CSPAN_20141117_190000_U.S._House_of_Representative s#start/600/end/660

GOP's Liberals on the House Floor who pushed for the tax increase:
John Fleming (R-LA ) 4th district
Bob Goodlatte (R-VA) 6th district

Chron Report: GOP faces pushback on Duck Hunting Tax Increase (http://www.chron.com/news/politics/us/article/Report-GOP-faces-pushback-on-duck-hunting-tax-5902115.php)

Wood ducks reside in East Texas, and they will be joined by migratory wood ducks for the winter. Politico reports GOP representatives have voice vote approval to a $120 million hike that would increase the cost of annual bird hunting permits from $15 to $25. See what else you can hunt in Texas and when each animal is in season.

Texas hunting and fishing through the years (http://www.chron.com/life/gallery/Texas-hunting-and-fishing-through-the-years-73619.php)
Guide to Texas' public hunting locations (http://www.chron.com/hunting-fishing/gallery/Guide-to-Texas-public-hunting-locations-72280.php)

A Koch brothers-backed lobby group is crying foul after House Republicans voiced their approval for a tax hike on duck hunters.

Politico reports (http://www.politico.com/story/2014/11/duck-hunting-tax-increase-republicans-112965.html) GOP representatives have voice vote approval to a $120 million hike that would increase the cost of annual bird hunting permits from $15 to $25.

In a post on the Americans for Prosperity website (http://americansforprosperity.org/legislativealerts/foul-play-lame-duck-congress-wants-to-increase-taxes), the group decried the move, calling it a lame-duck tax increase.

"High taxes and rampant spending are contributing directly to this decline in prosperity for Americans outside the Beltway, and it cannot go on any longer. It is unfair to ask middle-class families to pay for Washington's insatiable appetite."
But the bill is apparently backed by some duck hunters. Under the bill's requirements, the money would go toward bird conservation. More birds equal more shooting opportunities.
Looking to hunt in Texas. See the gallery above for season dates on birds and other critters.

libertarianinternational
11-20-2014, 11:27 AM
Duck Dynasty's actually one of my favorite shows. Phil Robertson will be angry.

oyarde
11-20-2014, 11:33 AM
I caught this on C-SPAN LIVE was going to post a thread, not only the ridiculous increase, but the big government GOP clowns that pushed for the increase. Then the truth started filtering out... we get to spend money to fix this and fix that. What does that truly mean? Well, it means, I get campaign contributions from companies and individuals given the millions in government contracts to "Fix This & Fix That".

March 1934, Congress passed, President Roosevelt signed, the Migratory Bird Hunting Stamp Act, popularly known as the Duck Stamp Act
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Duck_Stamp)
This whole scheme shows you, it's 2 wings of the vulture party, selling the American people out for campaign contributions and a tenure of aristocracy and profiteering. The part to especially note: GOP had a voice vote to increase taxes $120 million. All you need to know.

If you're interested for the record who pushed this progressive increase, here's the C-SPAN video/text coverage link: https://archive.org/details/CSPAN_20141117_190000_U.S._House_of_Representative s#start/600/end/660

GOP's Liberals on the House Floor who pushed for the tax increase:
John Fleming (R-LA ) 4th district
Bob Goodlatte (R-VA) 6th district

Chron Report: GOP faces pushback on Duck Hunting Tax Increase (http://www.chron.com/news/politics/us/article/Report-GOP-faces-pushback-on-duck-hunting-tax-5902115.php)
Yep , it is what it is, assholes raising a tax that was too high and used for immoral purposes by double digits .

libertarianinternational
11-20-2014, 11:38 AM
Yep , it is what it is, assholes raising a tax that was too high and used for immoral purposes by double digits .

Do you own any ducks yourself, by any chance?

oyarde
11-20-2014, 11:43 AM
Do you own any ducks yourself, by any chance?

I used to keep about 75 or so years ago, could get a few in the spring if I wanted to.The eggs bring a bit of a premium.

libertarianinternational
11-20-2014, 11:49 AM
I used to keep about 75 or so years ago, could get a few in the spring if I wanted to.The eggs bring a bit of a premium.

Have you ever worked for the CIA?

One thing they do is give you a duckling on the first day and you have to care for it and raise it as a pet for 2 years as you complete your training. Then you are ordered to shoot the duck. That's how they teach them to be merciless.

oyarde
11-20-2014, 11:51 AM

One thing they do is give you a duckling on the first day and you have to care for it and raise it as a pet for 2 years as you complete your training. Then you are ordered to shoot the duck. That's how they teach them to be merciless.
No , I have not worked for the CIA.LOL

oyarde
11-20-2014, 11:56 AM

That was hilarious .Thank you , I needed the laugh .

libertarianinternational
11-20-2014, 11:57 AM
No , I have not worked for the CIA.LOL

Oh. Sorry. Just to let everyone know, I absolutely, definitely do not work for the CIA either.

EDIT: I have also never in the past worked for the CIA

oyarde
11-20-2014, 12:00 PM

If I wanted you to be merciless , I would have you bite the head off , drink the blood and eat the heart while it was still beating ,LOL

libertarianinternational
11-20-2014, 12:03 PM
If I wanted you to be merciless , I would have you bite the head off , drink the blood and eat the heart while it was still beating ,LOL

Good idea. I'm sure that's something they could consider.

Southron
11-20-2014, 12:26 PM
Is this what we can expect from the Gop? Time to change my party back to unaffiliated.

brushfire
11-20-2014, 01:19 PM
Ducks = consumable resource. Chickens = consumable resource. Carrots = consumable resource.

That all said, this may be just an attempt to agitate the duck dynasty followers, who may be likely to coalesce on the issue and push a more contemporary conservatism. Political WWF theater (I guess its WWE now - same thing, different name)

http://theblacksphere.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/duck-dynasty-season-31.jpg

jbauer
11-20-2014, 01:50 PM
Any idea if duck eggs would be better for a gal who is allergic to chicken eggs?

I don't care for duck eggs for breakfast but the few times I've used em for baking they've made thing "fluffier"

jbauer
11-20-2014, 01:51 PM
And then break into the duck house and shoot their dog.

jbauer
11-20-2014, 01:52 PM
Did you miss the past 40 yrs? This is right in the good wheelhouse.
Is this what we can expect from the Gop? Time to change my party back to unaffiliated.

oyarde
11-20-2014, 11:39 PM
Any idea if duck eggs would be better for a gal who is allergic to chicken eggs?

I don't care for duck eggs for breakfast but the few times I've used em for baking they've made thing "fluffier"

I have no idea , turkey eggs are also excellent .

oyarde
11-21-2014, 01:17 AM
LOL, not a bad comment. I'd think you need to quantify how to compensate those who didn't get to eat the bird who certainly ate someone else's crop?

Got a funny story for you. We had a beautiful cheery tree LOADED with cherries one year. They were about a day from being ripe...this was a Friday, we were going to pick and process on Saturday. On Friday at lunch time about 250-500 starlings showed up and cleaned the tree bear in less then 5 minutes.

Dirty bastards!!! That was the only year that tree produced cherries in any quantity. It died a year or two later.

I would have shotgunned the hell out of the starlings ( they leave then ) , picked , pitted the then damaged cherries and made wine from them . Piled up the dead starlings for coyote bait , then skinned , tanned the coyote and made a rug of him . Then try to get Danke to buy a bottle of my fine cherry wine to cover the costs of five 12 Ga shells. :)

libertarianinternational
11-21-2014, 03:40 PM
I would have shotgunned the hell out of the starlings ( they leave then ) , picked , pitted the then damaged cherries and made wine from them . Piled up the dead starlings for coyote bait , then skinned , tanned the coyote and made a rug of him . Then try to get Danke to buy a bottle of my fine cherry wine to cover the costs of five 12 Ga shells. :)

I once shot a wolf in Karbala in '91. Good times.

oyarde
11-22-2014, 12:43 AM
I once shot a wolf in Karbala in '91. Good times.

I cannot imagine that as good times . I suppose there may be gray wolves outside of Karbala . I have been there many yrs ago and never saw any , or really had any good times . I was working.

fr33
11-22-2014, 12:47 AM
You guys just haven't been voting hard enough. We'll surely whip this if we vote harder.... after we defeat the New Deal that nobody in the GOP opposes today.

oyarde
11-22-2014, 01:52 AM
You guys just haven't been voting hard enough. We'll surely whip this if we vote harder.... after we defeat the New Deal that nobody in the GOP opposes today.

I think you have it . I want no new deal, old deal or any deals at all from these worthless fucks .

KCIndy
11-22-2014, 03:55 AM

Um... other than the part about it being a pet, where I come from raising a critter and then killing it is all a part of that big Circle of Life called "farming."

Long ago, back when I was in high school, I was dating a girl whose family lived in the country. On day the girl's mom asked for my help. The family raised rabbits, and she asked if I could help her dress out a dozen or so because they were thinning out the number of rabbits in their pens. As someone who had spent all my life hunting and fishing I agreed, and was cheerfully helping her kill the rabbits and do the whole skinning and gutting routine.

It was only much, much later that I wondered if this had been a test on her part to see if I was some sort of heartless monster who wouldn't think twice about wringing the neck of a poor little stupefied bunny rabbit.

To this day, I'm not really sure if it was a test or not! :rolleyes::p

libertarianinternational
11-22-2014, 04:50 AM
I cannot imagine that as good times . I suppose there may be gray wolves outside of Karbala . I have been there many yrs ago and never saw any , or really had any good times . I was working.

He was killing the local farmers' goats and had earned himself a $100 bounty, and you know what they say, Arabs really do love their goats... :D

Koz
11-22-2014, 10:19 AM
This is total bullshit. I am an avid waterfowler, I will never give anymore money to the NRA or Ducks Unlimited again. I have given thousands to DU over the years. This is disgusting.

oyarde
11-22-2014, 10:57 AM
This is total bullshit. I am an avid waterfowler, I will never give anymore money to the NRA or Ducks Unlimited again. I have given thousands to DU over the years. This is disgusting.

Yeah , kind of kills the giving mood .

libertarianinternational
11-22-2014, 01:40 PM
Yeah , kind of kills the giving mood .

Tis the season to be jolly. Give to the National Association for Gun Rights.