PDA

View Full Version : MA-Fifth grader suspended for pointing a finger gun, story has a good ending.

Anti Federalist
11-19-2014, 11:00 PM
Fifth-grader suspended for pointing imaginary gun: his hand

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2014/11/19/fifth-grader-suspended-for-pointing-imaginary-gun-his-hand/I7MqowzO5yEP5yb4IFXemN/story.html?p1=Article_InThisSection_Bottom

MILFORD — On Friday, Milford fifth-grader Nickolas Taylor was in line for lunch, just a few hours from the weekend.

But like most 10-year-old boys bursting with energy, he didn’t wait quietly. Instead, he played a solo game of shoot-em-up to pass the time, pointing his index finger like a ray gun and making “pew-pew” sounds.

As he battled his imaginary foes, he passed two girls in the lunch line. They told the assistant principal, according to Nickolas’s father, Brian Taylor. Later that day, the principal told the boy he was being suspended for two days for making a threat.

Upset over the suspension, Brian Taylor, 40, said he went to the school Monday morning to meet with the assistant principal in hopes of explaining it was just “innocent playing.” But the official said Nickolas had pointed at the girls, which amounted to a threat.

“He just kept saying it was against policy,” the father said in an interview Wednesday at his Milford home. “He wouldn’t see the common sense.”

Taylor said he understood that schools were on heightened alert these days to any perceived threats or potential bullying, but he said the suspension was an extreme overreaction.

“He wasn’t pointing at anyone in particular,” he said. “He was just playing. There were other ways they could have handled it.”

Taylor said his son had never gotten in serious trouble before, and that he was confused by the punishment.

“He didn’t really understand why” he was suspended, Taylor said.

Taylor said he thought the girls must have been annoyed that his son cut in front of them, and he was surprised school officials didn’t simply tell Nickolas not to do it again.

Nickolas loves video games like Minecraft and told him that all the boys play pretend shooting games at recess, shouting laser-like sounds as they chase each other

Nickolas has ADHD, which can affect his schoolwork, his father said. But he is a solid student and generally enjoys school.

Taylor was upset over what he considered an unfair punishment — and a regrettable sign of the times. So he called the local newspaper, which published a story on the incident Tuesday.

Taylor kept his son out of school again on Wednesday. Nickolas has had a bit of a cold, and his father thought it best to give him another day. Taylor said he was also thinking about removing him from school entirely and home-schooling him. Taylor said he’s filling out the paperwork.

“I feel they overstepped their authority “ he said

School officials could not immediately be reached for comment.

tod evans
11-20-2014, 04:04 AM
Public schools need bodies in order to leach federal money...

The only way to bring them under control is to eliminate federal funding and make them accountable to the taxpayers directly.

Taking kids out of the public school system both helps the child and hurts the bureaucracy....

Mani
11-20-2014, 04:06 AM
Taylor kept his son out of school again on Wednesday. Nickolas has had a bit of a cold, and his father thought it best to give him another day. Taylor said he was also thinking about removing him from school entirely and home-schooling him. Taylor said he’s filling out the paperwork.

“I feel they overstepped their authority “ he said

WIN.

Spikender
11-20-2014, 09:38 AM
Today, Brian Taylor is the World's Best Dad.

Pericles
11-20-2014, 10:30 AM
Public schools need bodies in order to leach federal money...

The only way to bring them under control is to eliminate federal funding and make them accountable to the taxpayers directly.

Taking kids out of the public school system both helps the child and hurts the bureaucracy....

I asked around and in TX, the state funds per student are some $8K to $10K, and then add money from the Feds... So the Houston school district which is estimated to have some 3000 illegal alien children attending, gets a good $30 million per year for those kids.

FindLiberty
11-20-2014, 10:44 AM
HOPEFUL PREDICTION:

Nickolas had ADHD, it seemed to clear up after only a few
weeks of homeschooling. We've cut candy from his diet
and replaced it with fresh fruit and balanced meals.

Now he wants to learn more and MORE about ________.

Apparently his brain was getting too little, too slowly
from the local publik skool system.

This has actually saved him!

ghengis86
11-20-2014, 11:02 AM
I asked around and in TX, the state funds per student are some $8K to $10K, and then add money from the Feds... So the Houston school district which is estimated to have some 3000 illegal alien children attending, gets a good $30 million per year for those kids.

Also similar in my area. But private School tuition was ~$5k for our kids if I remember correctly. More efficient and a much higher quality education, and the parents were part of the "school corporation" and could have a hand in determining school policy. And they raised capital for buildings through donation/fundraising campaigns, not taxes.

Government schools need to be eliminated for multiple, multiple reasons. This stupidity over finger guns, pop tart guns, etc is just revealing it to the masses one overreaction at a time

ghengis86
11-20-2014, 11:10 AM
HOPEFUL PREDICTION:

Nickolas had ADHD, it seemed to clear up after only a few
weeks of homeschooling. We've cut candy from his diet
and replaced it with fresh fruit and balanced meals.

Now he wants to learn more and MORE about ________.

Apparently his brain was getting too little, too slowly
from the local publik skool system.

This has actually saved him!

I never thought of ADD/ADHD as being "too little, too slowly" for the brain. Makes sense. instead of slowing down the brain, modify the inputs to match the enhanced activity. Thanks for that observation.