PDA

View Full Version : Poll : 75% of Tennesseans support medical marijuana

jmdrake
11-19-2014, 08:51 AM
It's time for a ballot measure. Should have had one this last time.

http://www.johnsoncitypress.com/article/120966/is-it-time-for-a-referendum-on-medical-marijuana-in-tennessee

Matt Collins
11-19-2014, 09:13 AM
A ballot referendum is a good way to lose. It's actually much easier to convince/pressure the legislature to do it.

jbauer
11-19-2014, 09:16 AM
Medical? How about we just legalize it. Or do you want me to go into the doctor to get a BS script so I can get my brownies?

specsaregood
11-19-2014, 09:40 AM
Medical? How about we just legalize it. Or do you want me to go into the doctor to get a BS script so I can get my brownies?

They want you to have to go through some professional mafia. I mean doctors gotta eat right?

jmdrake
11-19-2014, 09:50 AM
A ballot referendum is a good way to lose. It's actually much easier to convince/pressure the legislature to do it.

Matt, I know you have a hard on against ballot measures but that actual numbers show you are wrong. Marijuana ballot measures were hugely successful last go round including in red states. Meanwhile medical marijuana is bottled up in the TN state legislature with no possibility of passage. And contrary to your false "ballot measures increase taxes" thesis, in Tennessee a ballot measure against a state income tax passed.

jmdrake
11-19-2014, 09:51 AM

The poll numbers for total marijuana legalization isn't there for Tennessee at the moment. If Tennesseans see that the world doesn't come to an end with medical marijuana they might go for complete legalization. But this will only happen through a ballot measure. It will never be brought up with Tennessee's republican controlled legislature.

Edit: From the article itself

A bill to legalize marijuana for medical use in Tennessee stalled in the Tennessee General Assembly earlier this year. Even so, proponents of medical marijuana hope passage of the measure to study cannabis oil will open the door to medical marijuana in this state. A recent Middle Tennessee State University poll found 75 percent of state residents surveyed agree with allowing marijuana use for medical purposes.

So Matt your methodology has already lost on this issue! It's time to try something else. Doing the same thing over and over again that doesn't work is the definition of stupid.

Matt Collins
11-19-2014, 10:04 AM
Matt, I know you have a hard on against ballot measures but that actual numbers show you are wrong. Marijuana ballot measures were hugely successful last go round including in red states. Meanwhile medical marijuana is bottled up in the TN state legislature with no possibility of passage. And contrary to your false "ballot measures increase taxes" thesis, in Tennessee a ballot measure against a state income tax passed.

But this will only happen through a ballot measure. It will never be brought up with Tennessee's republican controlled legislature.Did that poll include only likely voters? And did it measure what would happen when people like the Eagle Forum and pharmaceutical companies start to spend a ton of money on marketing to counter it by confusing the voters or spreading FUD?

Probably not to both.

It is much easier and less expensive, and more likely to pass, if you work it through the legislature than through a ballot measure. Ballot measures are high risk, because if they fail then the legislature has an excuse not to take it up.

Matt Collins
11-19-2014, 10:05 AM
A bill to legalize marijuana for medical use in Tennessee stalled in the Tennessee General Assembly earlier this year. It failed because those working to push it don't know what they are doing and are highly unorganized. A focused and concise effort by activists who know what they are doing could push it forward.

jmdrake
11-19-2014, 10:11 AM
Did that poll include only likely voters? And did it measure what would happen when people like the Eagle Forum and pharmaceutical companies start to spend a ton of money on marketing to counter it by confusing the voters or spreading FUD?

Probably not to both.

Matt, you lose credibility when you place great faith in polls that back up your positions without having any information about the poll itself (you did that recently) while you heap all kinds of made up skepticism on polls that don't agree with your position. Do you think the Eagle Forum and Big Pharma lack the resources to lobby state legislators? Hint. They don't. And amazingly those who like tax increases weren't able to "FUD" their way out of an amendment banning a state income tax from passage.

It is much easier and less expensive, and more likely to pass, if you work it through the legislature than through a ballot measure. Ballot measures are high risk, because if they fail then the legislature has an excuse not to take it up.

It failed because those working to push it don't know what they are doing and are highly unorganized.

Okay. You were working on legislative issues in Tennessee at the time the marijuana bill stalled. So either you don't sufficiently care about this issue or your own methods don't work as well as you'd like to believe. The anti tax ballot measure passed. The anti abortion ballot measure passed on much slimmer poll numbers and with the other side running its own "FUD". Ballot measures work whether you are willing to accept this fact or not.

Matt Collins
11-19-2014, 11:05 AM
Do you think the Eagle Forum and Big Pharma lack the resources to lobby state legislators? Hint. They don't.But they don't play hardball politics.... if the pro-pot group were able to threaten the re-election of anyone who voted against them, then they could control the legislature on the issue. A politician will do whatever you want if you are able to get them unelected and they know it.

Okay. You were working on legislative issues in Tennessee at the time the marijuana bill stalled. So either you don't sufficiently care about this issue or your own methods don't work as well as you'd like to believe. it takes multiple cycles to get the job done. It's not a 2 or even 4 year effort most of the time.

Ballot measures work whether you are willing to accept this fact or not.They are unreliable and unpredictable, and expensive. It's much easier to pressure a few legislators into doing what you want than to try and convince 3 million voters in the state to support something you want supported.

JK/SEA
11-19-2014, 11:12 AM
But they don't play hardball politics.... if the pro-pot group were able to threaten the re-election of anyone who voted against them, then they could control the legislature on the issue. A politician will do whatever you want if you are able to get them unelected and they know it.

it takes multiple cycles to get the job done. It's not a 2 or even 4 year effort most of the time.

They are unreliable and unpredictable, and expensive. It's much easier to pressure a few legislators into doing what you want than to try and convince 3 million voters in the state to support something you want supported.

lol...

pure bullshit.

the only power people have is to come at these oppressive legislators with a hammer. Usually an initiative smacks them in the side of the head...

are you suggesting strongly worded letters and phone calls will do the trick?..geez...what crap.

google pot laws in Washington and Colorado for any questions bubba.

jmdrake
11-19-2014, 11:13 AM
But they don't play hardball politics.... if the pro-pot group were able to threaten the re-election of anyone who voted against them, then they could control the legislature on the issue. A politician will do whatever you want if you are able to get them unelected and they know it.

Great. Take the ball and run with it. Let's see how far you get. Like I said, either you don't care about this issue (shame on you) or your methods aren't as rock solid as you think.

it takes multiple cycles to get the job done. It's not a 2 or even 4 year effort most of the time.

The recent marijuana ballot measures worked in one cycle. If this gets put on the ballot it will likely pass. History is on my side on this whether you are willing to admit it or not.

They are unreliable and unpredictable, and expensive. It's much easier to pressure a few legislators into doing what you want than to try and convince 3 million voters in the state to support something you want supported.

Can you cite a single republican controlled state legislature that has passed a medical marijuana bill? Until you can, you are blowing smoke.

NewRightLibertarian
11-19-2014, 11:33 AM

I dunno if it's a 'good way to lose' but it certainly takes much more time, money, manpower, etc. to get a ballot referendum going than pressuring the legislature.

jmdrake
11-19-2014, 11:39 AM
lol...

pure bullshit.

the only power people have is to come at these oppressive legislators with a hammer. Usually an initiative smacks them in the side of the head...

are you suggesting strongly worded letters and phone calls will do the trick?..geez...what crap.

google pot laws in Washington and Colorado for any questions bubba.

There is an old saying. When your only tool is a hammer everything looks like a nail. Matt has had some success with the methods he uses. But those were on bills where there was overlap between Tea Party and libertarian types. A DNA police state measure comes immediately to mind. But medical marijuana is a different coalition and you're not going to build is using typical CFL "work within the GOP" tactics. This is one of those issues where, with a Republican dominated legislature, the typical "hammer" method just isn't going to work. Sure, liberty types can call their legislators in support of medical marijuana. And as soon as the Eagle Forum gets wind of this, they can mount a stronger campaign against it. The progressives in the state, are unlikely to join in the CFL. And republicans are unlikely to be afraid of a lot of pro marijuana phone calls when they know they could likely be coming from outside their district. The "hammer" method works best if the legislator is convinced that those pushing the idea really represent his constituency.

jmdrake
11-19-2014, 11:39 AM
I dunno if it's a 'good way to lose' but it certainly takes much more time, money, manpower, etc. to get a ballot referendum going than pressuring the legislature.

On this issue the "pressure your legislator" has a proven track record of failure at least in Tennessee.

thoughtomator
11-19-2014, 11:42 AM
Collins, you're full of it. The only way legalization has occurred anywhere is via referendum. When you can demonstrate it being done via legislature, then you can assert that it's the better method and maybe there will be some argument to be had.

NewRightLibertarian
11-19-2014, 11:45 AM
Collins, you're full of it. The only way legalization has occurred anywhere is via referendum. When you can demonstrate it being done via legislature, then you can assert that it's the better method and maybe there will be some argument to be had.

Lots of states have passed medical marijuana or decrim through the legislature though.

On this issue the "pressure your legislator" has a proven track record of failure at least in Tennessee.

That may be the case, but keep trying. This is a popular issue and eventually they'll have to cave. Ballot initiatives (except for the states where a bill to amend the state constitution can be proposed and if passed, it goes to the voters) are usually a waste of time, money and resources. It'd be good if a big money donor or organization came in and funded one though.

jmdrake
11-19-2014, 11:47 AM

Actually no. Of the 23 states which have legalized, 13 have been through the legislature.

http://medicalmarijuana.procon.org/view.resource.php?resourceID=000881

That said, all 13 have been states where both houses are dominated by democrats. Tennessee both houses are dominated by republicans. The only way TN gets legalization other than through referendum is to start campaigning for democrats or actually getting libertarians elected. The GOP is simply out of touch on this issue.

jmdrake
11-19-2014, 11:49 AM
Lots of states have passed medical marijuana or decrim through the legislature though.

All have been dominated by democrats in both houses of the legislature though. There has never been a state where republicans controlled either chamber and legalization has passed. And it will never happen in our lifetime. I'm just being real.

That may be the case, but keep trying. This is a popular issue and eventually they'll have to cave. Ballot initiatives (except for the states where a bill to amend the state constitution can be proposed and if passed, it goes to the voters) are usually a waste of time, money and resources. It'd be good if a big money donor or organization came in and funded one though.

Tennessee just passed a constitutional amendment through ballot initiative so I guess Tennessee is one of those states where, according to you, ballot initiatives are not a waste of time. And since when did we start worrying about wasting money? Hello? RP 2008? RP 2012?

NewRightLibertarian
11-19-2014, 11:58 AM
Tennessee just passed a constitutional amendment through ballot initiative so I guess Tennessee is one of those states where, according to you, ballot initiatives are not a waste of time. And since when did we start worrying about wasting money? Hello? RP 2008? RP 2012?

If the ballot initiative went through the state legislature first before it went to the voters, that might be a way to do it. But if you have a legislature full of assholes, they probably wouldn't even pass that to let the voters decide.

I know in Michigan there are activists working on decrim initiatives in local cities to try and soften up the laws before we go to full legalization or full decrim. That might be a good way to get started if the laws in Tennessee permit that sort of thing.

jmdrake
11-19-2014, 12:12 PM
If the ballot initiative went through the state legislature first before it went to the voters, that might be a way to do it. But if you have a legislature full of assholes, they probably wouldn't even pass that to let the voters decide.

I know in Michigan there are activists working on decrim initiatives in local cities to try and soften up the laws before we go to full legalization or full decrim. That might be a good way to get started if the laws in Tennessee permit that sort of thing.

It looks like you have to go through the legislature in TN first to even get started on a ballot measure.

http://ballotpedia.org/Tennessee_2014_ballot_measures

That means TN is effectively screwed.

thoughtomator
11-19-2014, 12:22 PM
Actually no. Of the 23 states which have legalized, 13 have been through the legislature.

http://medicalmarijuana.procon.org/view.resource.php?resourceID=000881

That said, all 13 have been states where both houses are dominated by democrats. Tennessee both houses are dominated by republicans. The only way TN gets legalization other than through referendum is to start campaigning for democrats or actually getting libertarians elected. The GOP is simply out of touch on this issue.

Many of these states have LINO (legalization in name only), such as New Jersey. That satisfies no one, and does not appear to be a stepping stone towards full legalization. Of the states with actual legalization, there are only two, and both were referendum-driven.

jkob
11-19-2014, 12:45 PM
Referendum is the only way this will pass in Tennessee. We passed medical out here in Arizona by a narrow margin thru referendum and now we're targeted for full legalization in 2016, this wouldn't happen in the legislature for the next 20-30 years or more otherwise. You have to get the ball rolling, all the monied interests working against a referendum will work against it in the legislative process as well. It's better to make your case straight to the people than a bunch of establishment politicians many of home have personal monied interest in continuing prohibition.

Occam's Banana
11-19-2014, 01:33 PM
LOL. Don't you guys understand? Going the populist "ballot initiative" route does not provide the "professionally trained campaign operatives" who attach themselves to some legislator or "in-house" legislative effort with sufficient opportunities to advance their careers and accrue personal influence ...

Matt Collins
11-19-2014, 01:58 PM

Yes, and when you can threaten the election of a politician, then you are able to make them do whatever you want.

google pot laws in Washington and Colorado for any questions bubba.The demographics are pre-disposed to it...

Matt Collins
11-19-2014, 02:01 PM
It looks like you have to go through the legislature in TN first to even get started on a ballot measure.

http://ballotpedia.org/Tennessee_2014_ballot_measures

That means TN is effectively screwed.
No it means that wasting time on a ballot issue is a waste of time. It is easier to pass it legislatively as I have been saying.

specsaregood
11-19-2014, 02:04 PM
LOL. Don't you guys understand? Going the populist "ballot initiative" route does not provide the "professionally trained campaign operatives" who attach themselves to some legislator or "in-house" legislative effort with sufficient opportunities to advance their careers and accrue personal influence ...

Yeah, but often you can get paid to collect signatures for the effort. But I guess signature gatherer doesn't look fancy on a resume.

jmdrake
11-19-2014, 02:21 PM
No it means that wasting time on a ballot issue is a waste of time. It is easier to pass it legislatively as I have been saying.

You were saying that based on the false claim that in general ballot issues don't work, not based on the reality that Tennessee is rigged not to allow grassroots ballot initiatives in the first place. That said, this will never get through the TN legislature. Not unless some republicans are defeated first. The GOP in Tennessee are drug war hawks. No amount of "hammer tactics" is going to change that.

Matt Collins
11-19-2014, 02:25 PM
Great. Take the ball and run with it. Let's see how far you get. Like I said, either you don't care about this issue (shame on you) or your methods aren't as rock solid as you think. I'm busy with other things at the moment. And there is lower hanging fruit in TN that would be a quicker and easier win (guns, taxes, anti-abortion come to mind)

Can you cite a single republican controlled state legislature that has passed a medical marijuana bill? Until you can, you are blowing smoke.

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/the-texas-sharpshooter

Just because it hasn't happened before doesn't mean it can't. The methods I describe work on every issue, if they are implemented.

Matt Collins
11-19-2014, 02:27 PM
That said, this will never get through the TN legislature. Not unless some republicans are defeated first. The GOP in Tennessee are drug war hawks. No amount of "hammer tactics" is going to change that.You just contradicted yourself.... we have to get a ew unelected to know that anyone who votes against us loses their seat. That's how it is done.

jmdrake
11-19-2014, 02:42 PM
I'm busy with other things at the moment. And there is lower hanging fruit in TN that would be a quicker and easier win (guns, taxes, anti-abortion come to mind)

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/the-texas-sharpshooter

Just because it hasn't happened before doesn't mean it can't. The methods I describe work on every issue, if they are implemented.

You've just become your own logical fallacy. Every "low hanging fruit" issue that you are "working on" are things that fit a republication dominated legislature. (Abortion, guns, taxes). And the taxes issues was ultimately decided by a ballot initiative! So was the abortion issue for that matter. It's funny that even with a republican dominated legislature you weren't able to get Planned Parenthood de-funded without the ballot initiative being passed first. Let me know when you are successful at something that goes against the grain of TN GOP politics and I'll pay attention.

jmdrake
11-19-2014, 02:43 PM
You just contradicted yourself.... we have to get a ew unelected to know that anyone who votes against us loses their seat. That's how it is done.

Getting a republican "unelected" over marijuana ain't happening in TN.

Matt Collins
11-19-2014, 02:51 PM
Getting a republican "unelected" over marijuana ain't happening in TN.
If it is framed properly it can be.... but you almost never get a politician unelected over just one issue though

jmdrake
11-19-2014, 04:12 PM
If it is framed properly it can be.... but you almost never get a politician unelected over just one issue though

Right. Which is why ballot initiatives are good in general in cases like this, the screwed up TN ballot access process notwithstanding. It's too easy for a politician to win even if they support an unpopular issue as long as they are considered "good" on everything else. Even if they are bad on a lot of things (Lamar Alexander) they can still win given enough political inertia.

CPUd
11-19-2014, 06:12 PM
You were saying that based on the false claim that in general ballot issues don't work, not based on the reality that Tennessee is rigged not to allow grassroots ballot initiatives in the first place. That said, this will never get through the TN legislature. Not unless some republicans are defeated first. The GOP in Tennessee are drug war hawks. No amount of "hammer tactics" is going to change that.

This is what people need to realize- TN has a lot of money tied up in 'enforcement'. Even if it somehow passes, it's not a guarantee that it will get signed into law. In TN, party affiliation really only matters when there are multiple candidates running for an open seat. The only real way to get something passed is to have a good working relationship with your state reps.

That being said, HB2461 got passed as amended, which allows a couple schools to grow cannabis on their farms and use the cannabis oil for research into seizures. The way it was done was to exclude the strain from the definition of 'marijuana', because there's no way in hell anyone would touch it if it were called marijuana.

DevilsAdvocate
11-19-2014, 06:39 PM
Medical marijuana is a total joke. 99.9% of the people who get it have no reasonable medical need for it. "Oh doctor, my back has just been really hurting me!" Here's your marijuana. "Oh doctor, I've just been feeling really stressed lately!" Here's your marijuana.

I remember when I visited Colorado before it was legalized there, and they had an entire magazine absolutely chock full of medical marijuana shops advertising their wares. Tiny ads filling the entire page, each one for a different shop. There must have been hundreds. I was staying at the Boulder campus, and apparently every April 20th, giant crowds of smokers would gather in the square. The smoke was so thick that apparently if you were standing a long way off you could visibly see a massive dark cloud rising from the square.

It's a total joke, a farce. Trotting out a few wounded vets or the one in a million person with a rare medical condition which is slightly assuaged by smoking just shines a light on how deceptive certain political movements can be. Everybody is looking the other way, including cops, lawyers, doctors, pretty much everyone except the Feds.

NewRightLibertarian
11-19-2014, 11:13 PM
Medical marijuana is a total joke. 99.9% of the people who get it have no reasonable medical need for it. "Oh doctor, my back has just been really hurting me!" Here's your marijuana. "Oh doctor, I've just been feeling really stressed lately!" Here's your marijuana.

I remember when I visited Colorado before it was legalized there, and they had an entire magazine absolutely chock full of medical marijuana shops advertising their wares. Tiny ads filling the entire page, each one for a different shop. There must have been hundreds. I was staying at the Boulder campus, and apparently every April 20th, giant crowds of smokers would gather in the square. The smoke was so thick that apparently if you were standing a long way off you could visibly see a massive dark cloud rising from the square.

It's a total joke, a farce. Trotting out a few wounded vets or the one in a million person with a rare medical condition which is slightly assuaged by smoking just shines a light on how deceptive certain political movements can be. Everybody is looking the other way, including cops, lawyers, doctors, pretty much everyone except the Feds.

You couldn't be more wrong. Try actually doing research before making idiotic judgments based on your biases. Because right now you're spewing stereotypes and bullshit.

Christian Liberty
11-19-2014, 11:18 PM

Even if true, so what? Why shouldn't people be able to decide for themselves what plants they want to use?

pessimist
11-19-2014, 11:41 PM

+1

jmdrake
11-19-2014, 11:53 PM

You have no idea what you are talking about. I personally know someone with crohn's disease. The standard treatment was no longer working and the only available mainstream treatment had a significant risk of causing incurable fatal cancer. He found out that marijuana trials for crohn's in Israel were very promising. He's using it and is much better now. U.S. studies on crohn's has shown the same results.

http://bionews-tx.com/news/2014/01/29/cannabis-proves-effective-treating-crohns-disease-according-new-study/

DevilsAdvocate
11-20-2014, 12:00 AM
You couldn't be more wrong. Try actually doing research before making idiotic judgments based on your biases. Because right now you're spewing stereotypes and bullshit.

I live in California dude, born and raised. Although I would never touch the stuff, many of my friends would. This is how it is, I know exactly what I'm talking about.

Even if true, so what? Why shouldn't people be able to decide for themselves what plants they want to use?

Then they should legalize it without the whole farce of pretending it's some sort of medication. It's basically just a way for people to subvert the system.

-------------

Besides, there is this whole underground culture driving the notion that marijuana has some sort of actual medical properties beyond just being a stress reliever. I've heard many of these crazy pothead types try to explain to me how it's a healthy naturally growing plant that cures cancer, along with a whole host of other things. Well guess what, Tobacco is also a naturally growing plant.

Actual scientists recognize that marijuana has a major deleterious effect on the brain which results in an IQ reduction. This effect lasts for a couple of weeks in adults, but for adolescents whose brains are still developing, the effect is permanent. Some people also hypothesize that it stunts physical development as well, resulting in a less developed, more childlike physique.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/9426205/Cannabis-smoking-permanently-lowers-IQ.html

http://www.northwestern.edu/newscenter/stories/2013/12/marijuana-users-have-abnormal-brain-structure--poor-memory.html

http://eagnews.org/study-sheds-light-on-damaging-effects-of-marijuana-among-college-aged-adults/

It essentially changes the way the brain connects it's synapses. It impairs your short term memory, which in turn damages your ability to make long term memories. You will also find that pot smokers typically have a very weak logical faculty.

Christian Liberty
11-20-2014, 12:04 AM
Then they should legalize it without the whole farce of pretending it's some sort of medication. It's basically just a way for people to subvert the system.

I'm with you. I have no idea if marijuana has positive medical effects or what kinds that it has. I'm not a big fan of it. But it should still be legal. Even still, if medical marijuana is a "way to subvert the system", I can live with that at least until the system is changed.

NewRightLibertarian
11-20-2014, 12:05 AM
I live in California dude, born and raised. Although I would never touch the stuff, many of my friends would. This is how it is, I know exactly what I'm talking about.

-------------

Besides, there is this whole underground culture driving the notion that marijuana has some sort of actual medical properties beyond just being a stress reliever. I've heard many of these crazy pothead types try to explain to me how it's a healthy naturally growing plant that cures cancer, along with a whole host of other things. Well guess what, Tobacco is also a naturally growing plant.

Actual scientists recognize that marijuana has a major deleterious effect on the brain which results in an IQ reduction. This effect lasts for a couple of weeks in adults, but for adolescents whose brains are still developing, the effect is permanent. Some people also hypothesize that it stunts physical development as well, resulting in a less developed, more childlike physique.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/9426205/Cannabis-smoking-permanently-lowers-IQ.html

http://www.northwestern.edu/newscenter/stories/2013/12/marijuana-users-have-abnormal-brain-structure--poor-memory.html

http://eagnews.org/study-sheds-light-on-damaging-effects-of-marijuana-among-college-aged-adults/

It essentially changes the way the brain connects it's synapses. It impairs your short term memory, which in turn damages your ability to make long term memories. You will also find that pot smokers typically have a very weak logical faculty.

You don't know what the fuck you're talking about, dude. What you're doing is repeating is government propaganda and lies. Maybe you should be smoking, it would probably make you into less of a pious blatherer.

DevilsAdvocate
11-20-2014, 12:20 AM
You don't know what the fuck you're talking about, dude. What you're doing is repeating is government propaganda and lies. Maybe you should be smoking, it would probably make you into less of a pious blatherer.

Perhaps, but so would getting a lobotomy, and you'd never see me signing up for one of those. Why would I voluntarily elect to reduce my mental faculties?

jmdrake
11-20-2014, 12:29 AM
Perhaps, but so would getting a lobotomy, and you'd never see me signing up for one of those. Why would I voluntarily elect to reduce my mental faculties?

The jury is out on that with studies all over the map. But for argument's sake let's say you're right. You have crohn's. The drugs you were taking aren't helping any more. The stronger drugs may cause incurable cancer. You could get a colostomy and the embarrassing bag that goes with it. Or you could take small doses of medical marijuana. You're seriously only going to go with cancer or a crapper bag? If so more power to you. I wouldn't.

NewRightLibertarian
11-20-2014, 01:23 AM

Your mental faculties are already reduced, and it isn't because of the devil weed.

The jury is out on that with studies all over the map.

All of the studies against marijuana are reefer madness horseshit. Compare it to any other pain medication in terms of side-effects and it's far and away the safest alternative.

euphemia
11-20-2014, 08:52 AM
I seem to look like SuzyQ America. I can't walk down the street without someone asking my opinion about something. I wore a hat and sunglasses at the mall so those marketing people would leave me along.

I have participated in more than my share of surveys and polls, and one thing I notice is that the questions they ask are not designed to illicit a real opinion from the participant. I don't think marketers are looking for what people really think. I think they are looking for something they can put out there and spin to shape popular opnion.

It's not that they ask you to try this soft drink and give an honest opinion of what you think. They ask you to drink the koolaid and ask you questions with limited possible responses, and they make you say something that you think smells like poop is organic and good for growth.

libertarianinternational
11-20-2014, 11:40 AM
Medical marijuana is a sham.

Legalize all drugs now. No licenses, no prescriptions, no censorship, no "protection".

acptulsa
11-20-2014, 12:12 PM
Medical marijuana is a sham.

And here I thought it was a plant.

pessimist
11-20-2014, 01:08 PM
Actual scientists recognize that marijuana has a major deleterious effect on the brain which results in an IQ reduction

If weed reduces the IQ and folks with high IQs are predisposed to smoke pot (and experiment with psychedelic drugs) does that mean they are subconsciously trying to lower their IQ?