PDA

View Full Version : Just Half Of Americans Think Calling Police Helps Resolve Disputes Peacefully

Suzanimal
11-18-2014, 10:45 AM
As issues of police brutality and accountability continue to receive national attention, a new HuffPost/YouGov poll shows about half of Americans aren't convinced calling law enforcement is an effective way to peacefully resolve a dispute.

In the poll, just 49 percent of respondents said they believe police officers responding to a situation are most likely to help resolve it peacefully. Twenty-seven percent of respondents said law enforcement is most likely to make the situation more volatile, while 24 percent said they weren't sure.

White respondents were more likely than any other race polled to say they thought police would resolve a situation peacefully, while black respondents were the most likely to say police would make it more volatile.

The poll also showed that 28 percent of respondents had called the police to resolve a dispute in the past, while 72 percent never had. These findings were relatively uniform across racial demographics.

The survey comes as the nation waits to hear if a grand jury will indict Officer Darren Wilson in the August death of Michael Brown, the black 18-year-old who Wilson shot in Ferguson, Missouri. The incident has led to increased scrutiny of the tactics employed by law enforcement, and the violence that sometimes comes as a result of police involvement.

The HuffPost/YouGov poll found large demographic disparities regarding the belief that police brutality takes place locally. Of total respondents, 29 percent said the problem existed around them, while 43 percent said it didn't and 27 percent said they weren't sure. Among white respondents, 25 percent said police brutality was an issue in their local law enforcement. But among black respondents, 58 percent said police brutality existed in their area, while 22 percent said it didn't and 20 percent weren't sure.

Previous HuffPost/YouGov polls conducted in the wake of Brown's death have tracked issues around how race plays into perceptions of law enforcement and police treatment of suspects. A survey released in August found that a 53 percent majority of all Americans thought police in most big cities are tougher on blacks than on whites. That number rose to 86 percent among black respondents.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/11/17/calling-police-poll_n_6172210.html?utm_hp_ref=politics&ir=Politics

tod evans
11-18-2014, 10:49 AM
100 is the median IQ.........

oyarde
11-18-2014, 10:52 AM
What is wrong with the other half ?

Grenadine
11-18-2014, 10:56 AM
What is wrong with the other half ?They've never called 911.

Anti Federalist
11-18-2014, 02:00 PM
Wow, maybe people are listening.

Do Not Call Cops

Anti Federalist
11-18-2014, 02:00 PM
Wow, maybe people are listening.

Do Not Call Cops

CaptainAmerica
11-18-2014, 02:16 PM
Who yuh gonna call?

Christian Liberty
11-18-2014, 02:25 PM
This is definitely encouraging, especially considering how many people around me trust police. Perhaps its just the circles I'm in.

Working Poor
11-18-2014, 02:31 PM
I would not call them.

donnay
11-18-2014, 02:35 PM
My phone would never dial them.

PaulConventionWV
11-18-2014, 02:39 PM
Is it just me or does half seem like an awful lot? From what I can tell, we've got quite a bit of work to do.

Carson
11-18-2014, 06:52 PM
I suppose when you think about it probably isn't a good idea to associate with known criminals period.

Would you call someone for help that has been flying remote control planes in to countries illegally and blowing people up? How about counterfeiters or those involved in illegal immigration?

You may have to at times but I would think you would want to keep an eye on what's going on.

Dianne
11-18-2014, 07:58 PM
My daughter came home hysterial yesterday. She had her first encounter with the police when she hydroplaned on wet leaves, but thought she had a blow out. She was in the middle of the road, on the phone with Triple A motor club when there was a tap on her window. Two police cars, officers badgering her into admitting she was talking on her cell phone, when she was not. They were intimidating her so badly, she just broke out crying and they began to console her; but her first experience with the fine men and women who are here to help us......... was not very positive. When I was growing up, police really meant nice people unless you were a criminal ... no longer.

jkr
11-18-2014, 08:13 PM
What is wrong with the other half ?
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Ps45Lvi1AAQ/Tc3O359RyrI/AAAAAAAAHpo/kyRePWhDxnw/s1600/Private%2Bvs%2BPublic%2BJobsMa62011BurLaborStatSco ttGrannisBlogspotJobSitviaGWP51211.jpg
http://static.businessinsider.com/~~/f?id=4b43aad900000000006afad2
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-plbSfo1w4Fw/TqimEvpj4kI/AAAAAAAAAFY/ORjWh0lyUEI/s400/unemployment01perry.jpg

Suzanimal
11-19-2014, 07:41 AM
*Warning graphic*

This is what happens when you call the cops...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlY9C6pzxKc

tod evans
11-19-2014, 07:48 AM
Great video (with the sound off!)

Suzanimal
11-19-2014, 07:50 AM
Great video (with the sound off!)

Not a fan of Rap I take it.:p It is a great video, shared with with my "just doing their job" friends and relatives.

tod evans
11-19-2014, 07:56 AM
Not a fan of Rap I take it.:p It is a great video, shared with with my "just doing their job" friends and relatives.

Old rocker here...

Acala
11-19-2014, 08:02 AM
Calling the police often helps end disputes peacefully. In the sense of RIP.

SeanTX
11-19-2014, 08:42 AM
Calling the police often helps end disputes peacefully. In the sense of RIP.

Especially with suicidal people.

There was once a time when the police might at least try to talk somebody like that out of killing themselves, but now they will roll out an MRAP and immediately put multiple cross hairs and iron sights on the suicidal person.

"Ya wanna die huh? Well, we will be more than happy to help you out with that. Now come on, just make a move so I can take the shot, that's it ... BANG -- Booyah! "

"The subject had a gun to his head, then started to lower it -- fearing for their lives our officers had no choice other than to shoot."

Then high fives and fist bumps all around. Murder time, fun time ...