PDA

View Full Version : Parlimentary Action Liberty Bootcamp

presence
11-17-2014, 10:16 AM
What do you guys think about developing a subforum here for "RPF Members Internal Politics" where we used moderated parlimentary procedure to develop a "members party platform", and take other symbolic actions.

Although, I suspect the "weight" of RPF's platform might be relatively weak in the current political environment, I do think it would help us collectively to lobby liberty campaigns.

More importantly, it would serve as a mentor system to share Robert's Rules of Order so that Liberty Movement activists became more confident and triumphant on the local level; Parlimentary Action Liberty Bootcamp.

Thoughts?

presence

[disclosure: atm I'm crudely familiar with Robert's Rules but inexperienced and likely to get owned in practice]

Help Elect a RPF Lobbyist to RAND2016 Campaign! (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?463054-Help-Elect-a-RPF-Lobbyist-to-RAND2016-Campaign%21)
2014 RPF Member's Party Platform (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?463087-2014-RPF-Member-s-Party-Platform)

mosquitobite
11-17-2014, 10:32 AM
I second this idea. ;)

presence
11-17-2014, 11:33 AM
Could I get a moderator to add a poll pls? Thanks!

Are you familiar with Roberts Rule's of Parlimentary Procedure?

Yes! I'm very familiar both in theory and practice.
Yes! I'm a bit rusty but I can hold my own.
Yes! I'm somewhat familiar, weak in practice.
No. But I'm interested in learning to own my local government via Parlimentary Action Liberty Bootcamp!
No. But I'm curious

"public poll, user's names will be seen"

eta

thanks Bryan

sratiug
11-17-2014, 06:53 PM
I suggested something similar, as far as practicing the rules using a forum thread, a few years ago... just for the record.

Jamesiv1
11-18-2014, 04:38 AM
Parliamentary Procedure (aka "Robert's Rules of Order") is not hard to learn. A handful of terms and the most commonly used actions is all you need. Learn how to amend a motion and you will be miles ahead of everyone else on the floor :)

Here's a good start:

Simple Parliamentary Procedure (http://www.prestongroup.org/stuff/SimpleParliamentaryProcedure.pdf)

A couple of things people often screw up:

Point of Order - This is a member of the floor calling the chair out of order - when the chair lets someone speak out of turn, for example. A lot of people mistakenly use it as an excuse to get another bite of the apple (another chance to speak).
Point of Information - as of the latest edition of Robert's Rules is now called "Request for Information" and MUST be framed as a question. This is a member of the floor requesting an explanation about the motion on the floor. People mistakenly think they are "offering additional information" but are actually taking another chance to speak.*
You could gather some friends at a Meet-Up or some such and practice before attending the real thing. There are a lot of good vids on YouTube teaching how to do it, also.

Here's a good "Quick Reference":
http://www.robertsrules.org

And here is the Official site:
http://www.robertsrules.com

*Robert's Rules says a member can only speak twice per motion.

sratiug
11-20-2014, 04:30 PM
I rise to commend the gentleman from the great state of ???? for providing this glorious link to an invaluable resource we shall use in educating ourselves sufficiently to achieve parliamentary excellence here in this, the greatest thread in the greatest of all internet forums on earth!!!

sratiug
11-20-2014, 04:38 PM
I nominate presence for president of the Ron Paul Party Platform Committee??? I would nominate myself maybe but I am internet access impaired at the moment.

As far as developing a platform, I will reiterate my suggestion of having competing forum sections where competing viewpoints such as religious/non religous can work out their own viewpoints without undue interference from people of diametrically opposed positions.

presence
11-22-2014, 12:12 PM
I nominate presence for president of the Ron Paul Party Platform Committee??? I would nominate myself maybe but I am internet access impaired at the moment.

As far as developing a platform, I will reiterate my suggestion of having competing forum sections where competing viewpoints such as religious/non religous can work out their own viewpoints without undue interference from people of diametrically opposed positions.

I rise today to accept nomination as Ron Paul Party Platform Committee President. I concur with the Gentleman, that this thread is

"invaluable resource we shall use in educating ourselves sufficiently to achieve parliamentary excellence"

Further, I co-nominate Jamesiv1 (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/member.php?35824-Jamesiv1) for consideration as Party President

I move that a vote for Party President be taken by members rising and being counted in the next 48 hours.

sratiug
11-22-2014, 12:20 PM
I would vote, but sadly, I have no form of identification. My provisional vote goes to presence.

sratiug
11-27-2014, 11:10 PM
What's the next move???

ClydeCoulter
12-04-2014, 07:50 AM
Point of information, on the 48 hour limit that seems to be insufficient to garner enough votes.

philipped
12-08-2014, 01:28 PM
I second this idea. ;)

3rd

sratiug
12-11-2014, 05:52 PM
Has this meeting been adjourned???

ClydeCoulter
12-11-2014, 09:59 PM
Has this meeting been adjourned???

I don't think so, we're on coffee break :)

ClydeCoulter
01-03-2015, 04:46 AM
As the new Trustee for a Township, I have a question, at least one, on how to handle the first public meeting of a township.

I have called the first meeting with the Advisory Board to be on Jan. 6, 2015 (The first Tuesday after the first Monday in January, as per Indiana Code)

There is to be the election of the Chairman and the Secretary of the Board, as well as a vote on the Financial Institution to secure the Township Funds.

Who officially starts the meeting and brings the vote for the Chair to order? The Trustee or previous Chair? What if the previous Chair is no longer on the Board?

presence
01-03-2015, 10:28 AM
/bump because this thread has 5000 views (obvious interest) but lack of content... somebody with some parlimentary skills get in here and school us PLEASE.

ClydeCoulter
01-03-2015, 09:01 PM
Hello..ello..ello.....is anybody out there?

osan
01-04-2015, 07:33 AM
/bump because this thread has 5000 views (obvious interest) but lack of content... somebody with some parlimentary skills get in here and school us PLEASE.

Hello..ello..ello.....is anybody out there?

Oy... looks like another good idea is dying on the vine at RPF. If we had the sort of participation we see in some of the troll-bait threads... need I say more?

I guess at this point, perhaps reproducing the basics of Roberts Rules here may be the only thing to do.

Guidelines

Obtain the floor (the right to speak) by being the first to stand when the person speaking has finished; state Mr./Madam Chairman. Raising your hand means nothing, and standing while another has the floor is out of order! Must be recognized by the Chair before speaking!
Debate can not begin until the Chair has stated the motion or resolution and asked "are you ready for the question?" If no one rises, the chair calls for the vote!
Before the motion is stated by the Chair (the question) members may suggest modification of the motion; the mover can modify as he pleases, or even withdraw the motion without consent of the seconder; if mover modifies, the seconder can withdraw the second.
The "immediately pending question" is the last question stated by the Chair! Motion/Resolution - Amendment - Motion to Postpone
The member moving the "immediately pending question" is entitled to preference to the floor!
No member can speak twice to the same issue until everyone else wishing to speak has spoken to it once!
All remarks must be directed to the Chair. Remarks must be courteous in language and deportment - avoid all personalities, never allude to others by name or to motives!
The agenda and all committee reports are merely recommendations! When presented to the assembly and the question is stated, debate begins and changes occur!

Perhaps we are well served to drill down on each of these to refine the understanding? Having sat on at least one board, officially, I can claim no special expertise on procedure, but since nobody else is stepping up, I will address at least the first point, invite others to comment, and then stand aside. If you want this, you will have to take it up and run with it. I am happy to participate, but I am not going to do this single-handedly. I have way too much other stuff on my plate.

Question on obtaining the floor:

Stand to be recognized. Does one wait for recognition upon standing, or does one immediately state "Mr./Madam Chairman" to obtain it, having stood?

ClydeCoulter
01-06-2015, 06:30 AM
Are Roberts Rules really a plot against beautiful blondes?

philipped
01-08-2015, 02:04 PM
Mr. Chairman,

Motion to thank all those who've contributed to the concepts of the bootcamp.

This video assisted immensely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBlTvYTvg78

sratiug
01-15-2015, 02:48 PM
I second that motion.

jeffro97
01-15-2015, 04:06 PM
Mr. Chairman,

Motion to thank all those who've contributed to the concepts of the bootcamp.

This video assisted immensely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBlTvYTvg78

Thanks for posting that. I'm definitely interested in learning more about how this works.

philipped
01-15-2015, 06:33 PM
Thanks for posting that. I'm definitely interested in learning more about how this works.

This member (myself) will recognize the other member(jeffro97)'s proposed debate upon the motion. I also will say you're welcome :)

I move to have the chairman recognize this debate as added to the minutes and to concede debate upon the motion as final(???)

The Free Hornet
02-27-2015, 03:39 AM
What do you guys think about developing a subforum here for "RPF Members Internal Politics" where we used moderated parlimentary procedure to develop a "members party platform", and take other symbolic actions.

My advice, avoid developing a platform. It's too exhaustive. Focus on planks instead, bullet points with 90-99.9% agreement among the liberty movement.

Don't waste time in the quagmires of minarchy versus anarchy, abortion, states' "so-called" rights, gay whatevers, coercive IP, et cetera. Focus on seizure abuse, individual freedoms, ending qualified immunity (eg wrt police and DA abuse).

Mirror existing efforts where practical like 'audit the fed'.

If you have to split discussions because of anticipated contention, then that is not a likely plank issue.