PDA

View Full Version : CA-Woman calls 911 for help with epilepsy-Gets cops instead, who beat her for "resisting"

Anti Federalist
11-12-2014, 04:12 PM
Epileptic woman calls 9-1-1 for help, beaten when seizures mistaken for ‘resisting arrest’

http://www.policestateusa.com/2014/andrea-starr-seizures-resisting-arrest/

PISMO BEACH, CA — A woman was arrested and suffered numerous injuries after she phoned for help during an epileptic episode. She alleges that she was needlessly assaulted after her seizures were interpreted as “resisting arrest.”

The incident happened on October 11th, 2014, after Andrea Starr called 9-1-1 because of medical distress. She says that she was on the beach alone, suffering from an epileptic seizure that was exacerbated by consumption of alcohol. She is diagnosed with a condition called Juvenile Myoclonic Syndrome, which is a rare form of generalized epilepsy with retractable seizures that do not respond well to medication.

“I was having seizures, going in and out of consciousness,” said Ms. Starr. “I did not even understand where I was. I called 9-1-1 crying, begging for help. Instead, multiple police showed up, no medics, or ambulance.”

Ms. Starr alleges that the responding Pismo Beach police officers assaulted her instead of giving her medical help.

“I am not a criminal,” Ms. Starr said. “I called 9-1-1. I never meant to act in aggression, as I was very confused. The police just assumed I was on drugs and was psychotic.”

Police attempted to take the woman into custody for public intoxication. In doing so, Ms. Starr reports that her legs involuntarily convulsed, which police interpreted as resistance. The rough handling that followed left her with numerous contusions.

Aside from not getting the medical treatment she needed, Ms. Starr was arrested and taken to jail. She was charged with battery against a police officer, as well as resisting arrest and public intoxication. Remarkably, the abuse did not stop there.

“When I was in jail, I started to convulsive on the floor of the jail cell due to lack of medication. It had been a long time at that point,” Ms. Starr said. “A police officer came in and kicked me in the head because ‘my head was too close to the door.’ This made multiple girls start to cry, as it was very obvious I was having seizures and could have died.”

Andrea Starr is seeking funding to push back against her assailants in court. She says that she has no criminal record and was a victim of excessive force. To help her seek justice, visit her page on GoFundMe.com.

Natural Citizen
11-12-2014, 04:20 PM
I don't even know what to say about this stuff anymore. It's every day that we're reading about it.

Natural Citizen
11-12-2014, 04:22 PM
Here is a link to her page, btw... http://www.gofundme.com/andreastarr

acptulsa
11-12-2014, 04:23 PM
I see a market for an UberAmbulance service.

I've even got a slogan. We'll get you to the hospital before the cops even figure out you're sick.

FloralScent
11-12-2014, 04:29 PM
Where are the fathers? I don't understand how a father could just let this go.

Henry Rogue
11-12-2014, 04:35 PM
Epileptic seizures are no excuse for resisting arrest.

Dr.3D
11-12-2014, 04:42 PM
This is what happens when 9-1-1 is connected together with idiots and medical help. They need to be separated so people know what they are going to get.

acptulsa
11-12-2014, 04:58 PM
This is what happens when 9-1-1 is connected together with idiots and medical help. They need to be separated so people know what they are going to get.

Here the federal government spent decades killing off private ambulance services, shoving the whole 911 thing down Ma Bell's throat, and generally ensuring us a nice roid-raging, mouth-breathing, authority-obsessed moron at every turn, and you want to undo all that hard work?

Ingrate.

Dr.3D
11-12-2014, 05:01 PM
Here the federal government spent decades killing off private ambulance services, shoving the whole 911 thing down Ma Bell's throat, and generally ensuring us a nice roid-raging, mouth-breathing, authority-obsessed moron at every turn, and you want to undo all that hard work?

Ingrate.
Well, how about a compromise and add 9-1-2 for ambulance service. :p

navy-vet
11-12-2014, 06:02 PM
Where are the fathers? I don't understand how a father could just let this go.
Wasn't there a song about that? "where have all the fathers gone"...."long time paaaassing"....etc etc

LibForestPaul
11-12-2014, 06:39 PM
Well, how about a compromise and add 9-1-2 for ambulance service. :p

Fuck you, how about that as a compromise up your @ss.

Hmmm, pretty easy thinking like roidpigs.

Dr.3D
11-12-2014, 06:53 PM
Fuck you, how about that as a compromise up your @ss.

Hmmm, pretty easy thinking like roidpigs.
Well, then how about 9-2-2 instead?

I'm easy.

phill4paul
11-12-2014, 06:57 PM
Here is a link to her page, btw... http://www.gofundme.com/andreastarr

Go fund her? The 13 million payout by taxpayers outta fund it. There's not a liaryer around that wouldn't want 80% + expenses on that deal.

Mani
11-12-2014, 10:34 PM

I've even got a slogan. We'll get you to the hospital before the cops even figure out you're sick.

As long as it is not called an ambulance and they have to obey traffic signals and they make sure the passenger agrees you can't be held liable for not getting them to the hospital on time....It does sound like there is a need for something like this.

An UberUrgent service sounds safer than a call that would bring the cops.

And Andrea Starr did this to herself....having a seizure and almost dying is not a good excuse for following an officer's command. I'm sure the brave officers feared for their safety from the 128lb dangerous woman.

presence
11-12-2014, 10:38 PM

KICKSTARTER!!! :D

FindLiberty
11-13-2014, 06:31 AM
We'll get you to the hospital before the cops even figure out you're sick!

Nice