PDA

View Full Version : MI County Voters Reject Tax For Sheriff's Patrols, Half of County's Deputies To Be Laid Off

SeanTX
11-11-2014, 05:02 PM
It's a start. And will probably make life safer on the county's roads -- no deputies to put lumps on you for refusing an illegal search -- or kidnap you for things like "hitch hiking." Or slam into you going three times the speed limit while on a routine call.

http://www.9and10news.com/story/27357463/shiawassee-county-undergoes-safety-budget-cuts

Shiawassee County Undergoes Safety Budget Cuts
Posted: Nov 11, 2014 3:59 PM CST Updated: Nov 11, 2014 3:59 PM CST

A Michigan county commission says they have no choice but to cut the sheriff's budget by $1.5 million.

Voters downstate in Shiawassee County rejected a tax to pay for sheriff's patrols.

That is leaving a big hole in the budget.

The Undersheriff says between 13 and 15 deputies, or half the department will be laid off.

He also said the department will focus on covering only services mandated by law.

This includes maintaining staff at the jail and the county's court system.

The county's road patrol will be eliminated all together.

snip

aGameOfThrones
11-11-2014, 05:27 PM
so they don't want to pay protection money, eh? find! maybe they need to remember why they need us.

phill4paul
11-11-2014, 05:40 PM
I see asset forfeitures in the residents future.

ghengis86
11-11-2014, 07:32 PM
Hmm...isn't the sheriff the legit law enforcement in a county? I'd rather it had been local pigs, but whatever; less jackboots = more freedom

SeanTX
11-11-2014, 07:37 PM
Hmm...isn't the sheriff the legit law enforcement in a county? I'd rather it had been local pigs, but whatever; less jackboots = more freedom

The sheriff is the only one authorized by the Constitution -- though the problem is that sheriff depts haven't been abiding by that piece of paper any more than police depts.

There's should be a degree of more control by the people since the sheriff is elected -- but I haven't seen any sheriff candidates running on a platform of reigning in law enforcement.

Tywysog Cymru
11-11-2014, 07:45 PM
The county's road patrol will be eliminated all together.

But who will protect us from people going 85 in a 70 mph lane?

Mani
11-11-2014, 11:23 PM
Bahahahaa...

They are probably warning residents, "When the violent drug dealers and rapists come and take over the town, DON'T BLAME US!!!!"

Yet secret truth probably is....Violent attacks on citizens and sexual assault goes down due to half the cops being laid off...Bahahahaaha

invisible
11-11-2014, 11:52 PM
This will now surely become the next place where someone shoots up a school, theater, or shopping mall. Sounds to me like these people just voted themselves to be the victims of whatever the latest little gov't false flag will end up being.

nobody's_hero
11-12-2014, 04:18 PM
Hmm.

A) Keep $30 of ammo in my home. Or B) Keep $30 of ammo in my home, and pay another $100 increase in taxes per year.

I'm 100% certain that the county only ended up with so many deputies after applying for Federal grants. That's the nefarious side of grants. It gives a false sense of budget security which necessitates tax increases or loss of 'services' in the future.

Undoubtedly most governments just increase the taxes without even bothering to ask the people. And so resumes the cycle of 1) having way more resources than you need thanks to 'free money' from the Feds and 2) years down the road, having to figure out how to keep all that at the expense of the people.

I wonder if this will be the last time the county commissioners in that county make a tax increase optional.

pcosmar
11-12-2014, 04:32 PM
Hmm...isn't the sheriff the legit law enforcement in a county?

NO.
The Sheriff is the legitimate Elected Representative responsible for seeing that Rights are protected.

Law enforcement is (rightfully) in the hands of the common man.

Danke
11-12-2014, 04:38 PM
http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/applause.gif