PDA

View Full Version : TX - Racially charged "tweet" gets teacher fired.

Anti Federalist
11-10-2014, 08:22 PM
And the worm turns...

Racially-charged tweet on Ferguson shooting to get Texas teacher fired

Published November 10, 2014

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/11/10/racially-charged-tweet-on-ferguson-shooting-gets-texas-teacher-fired/

Texas English teacher Vinita Hegwood is out of a job after tweeting that those who disagreed with her about the racially-charged shooting in Ferguson, Mo., which sparked looting and riots, could kill themselves. (Duncanville Independent School District, AP)

A Texas teacher who posted a profanity-filled tweet over the shooting death of Michael Brown in Ferguson, Mo. -- telling those who disagreed with her to "kill themselves" -- is being fired, school officials said Monday.

Vinita Hegwood, an English teacher at Duncanville High School, was suspended without pay Monday pending her discharge after posting a "reprehensible" message on her personal Twitter account, according to the Duncanville Independent School District.

On Friday, Hegwood tweeted the following:

"Who the fuck made you dumb duck ass crackers think I give a squat fuck about your opinions about my opinions RE" #Ferguson? Kill yourselves."

http://a57.foxnews.com/global.fncstatic.com/static/managed/img/U.S./876/493/teacherferguson.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

In Duncanville, there was speculation on social media that Hegwood, who had tweeted actively during the turmoil in Ferguson in August, was responding to angry online retorts directed at her. Hegwood, who has been with the school district for two years, could not be reached for comment.

A grand jury is expected to announce this month whether it will indict Officer Darren Wilson in the shooting death of 18-year-old Brown, an unarmed black man who was killed by a white police officer following a scuffle in August in a St. Louis suburb. The events surrounding the shooting have been under investigation by a county grand jury, which will determine whether there is probable cause to indict Wilson in the shooting.

Brown's death ignited racial tensions and sparked mass rioting in the streets of Ferguson -- unrest area residents and law enforcement fear may happen again should the grand jury chose not to indict Wilson.

Hegwood's tweet and account were deleted shortly afterward, but the school said it took "swift action and exercised the fullest disciplinary action allowed under district policy."

"Ms. Hegwood was placed on suspension without pay pending discharge," the school district said during a morning press conference Monday. "Under state law, a school district’s Board of Trustees 'fires' staff members, and the district will pursue that action with the board soon. In the meantime, the teacher has been placed on suspension without pay, pending discharge."

"The district wants the community to know that the actions of this one individual does not and should not represent the school district," said school officials in Duncanville, a city of just under 40,000 in Dallas County.

In her Twitter account, which has been taken down, Hegwood described herself.

"Mother. Daughter. Sister. Wife. Teacher. Delta. Football fan. Still defining and fine tuning the awesomeness that is me," it read.

The White House on Friday emphasized its commitment to defusing continued tensions over the Ferguson police shooting. President Obama spoke Friday with Missouri Gov. Jay Nixon and Justice Department officials who stepped in after the shooting.

Antischism
11-10-2014, 08:45 PM
Freedom of speech doesn't mean you're free from consequences. Twitter is great for one thing, and that's outing idiots. You'd think people would learn by now to stop using the darn thing. No teacher should be speaking that way.

Warrior_of_Freedom
11-10-2014, 09:18 PM
if she posted anonymously this would have never happened

amy31416
11-10-2014, 09:18 PM
Did she tweet anything about Aiyana Jones?

Anti Federalist
11-10-2014, 09:19 PM

Nope...not a peep.

amy31416
11-10-2014, 09:25 PM
Nope...not a peep.

Weird. How about baby bou bou who got flash-banged?

Danke
11-10-2014, 09:30 PM
What is a "dumb duck ass crackers?" I like ass and crack, if dumb, well that is ok. But duck, WTH is that?

amy31416
11-10-2014, 09:33 PM
What is a "dumb duck ass crackers?" I like ass and crack, if dumb, well that is ok. But duck, WTH is that?

Well, to put it bluntly, she's stupid, reactionary and angry. She's also easily manipulated--maybe you should try her out. :p

2young2vote
11-10-2014, 09:35 PM
I'm trying to think of a word that offends white people, but I can't think of one. Cracker? Is that supposed to be offensive or insulting or something?

Danke
11-10-2014, 09:37 PM
Well, to put it bluntly, she's stupid, reactionary and angry. She's also easily manipulated--maybe you should try her out. :p

Is she half my age? :p

amy31416
11-10-2014, 09:39 PM
Is she half my age? :p

Doesn't look like it, ya jerk!

Carlybee
11-10-2014, 10:15 PM
I'm trying to think of a word that offends white people, but I can't think of one. Cracker? Is that supposed to be offensive or insulting or something?

No we laugh at it. Kinda like the word honky. A cracker really refers to like a snaggle toothed redneck who's not too bright.

Anti Federalist
11-10-2014, 11:25 PM
Weird. How about baby bou bou who got flash-banged?

Not a word.

amy31416
11-10-2014, 11:36 PM
Not a word.

Ain't that peculiar? Why would she go ape on whitey, when this dude choked out a minority fellow, yet not get unhinged over minority children getting killed or maimed by the police?

I think she just might be a(n) hypocritical asshole. I wonder how she thinks so highly of herself.

Mani
11-11-2014, 12:24 AM

I notice people with iPhones tend to type duck instead of F*CK. I wonder if it is the autocorrect or the D being too close to the F on the keyboard...

specsaregood
11-11-2014, 12:32 AM
//

phill4paul
11-11-2014, 01:06 AM
Without pay? She shoulda been a cop. They have better unions.

Valli6
11-11-2014, 10:11 AM
The hair cut?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_nXLRx8iGWf4/SxfpjDg2jeI/AAAAAAAAADI/YAcx89fJHlI/s400/m_b30a8d5551744c4a033b5272140c315b.jpg

JK/SEA
11-11-2014, 11:03 AM
English Teacher?......i'm impressed.

i love it when English Teachers talk dirty.......

Spikender
11-11-2014, 12:10 PM
If only people could get this inflamed over things that matter rather than racial hatred.

jmdrake
11-11-2014, 12:38 PM

Or Miriam Carey. It's interesting that the "racist tea party" types care more about the murder of that young black woman by DC cops than do the black civil rights establishment.

http://www.wnd.com/2014/04/new-revelations-about-mom-killed-by-capitol-cops/

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/10/04/article-2442703-188196CD00000578-463_1024x615_large.jpg