PDA

View Full Version : INVESTIGATORS: Shocking way Cass County cops ended a standoff

phill4paul
11-09-2014, 07:30 AM
Video at link. Basically reporters and ex-cops are all :eek: because a sheriff had a civilian buy an oxycontin to give to an ex-felon in an armed stand-off.
The ex-felon had said that he would surrender if he could have one to calm his nerves. He got his pill and then...surrendered. People are also all :eek: because the sheriff will not allow his deputies to sit outside of bars looking for drunk drivers. Personally I'd take this sheriff over most.

Cass County, nestled in north central Minnesota, is covered with woods and water. It's a haven for tourists and home of the Leech Lake Indian Reservation.

Sheriff Tom Burch is in charge of keeping the peace. In August, the sheriff's emergency response team was called to a house on the reservation. Convicted felon Christopher Morris, a.k.a. Christopher Headbird, was inside with a gun, and his girlfriend. The two were holed up in a basement crawl space when deputies entered the house.

Officers heard a gunshot. It was the start of a long, tense, standoff. It would not come to an end until the cops did something shocking.

A Fox 9 investigation based on criminal complaints and details provided by multiple sources within law enforcement, paints a head-scratching picture of what happened that night.

http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/story/27187320/investigators-what-it-took-to-stop-christopher-headbird

Suzanimal
11-09-2014, 08:14 AM
The sheriff obliviously did the right thing, I hope some citizens come to his defense.

RJB
11-09-2014, 08:16 AM
Basically reporters and ex-cops are all :eek: because a sheriff had a civilian buy an oxycontin to give to an ex-felon in an armed stand-off.
It sounds like the sheriff was the only one with brains in that situation. Those who are upset wouldn't have batted an eye if they shot a grenade at a baby and killed a dozen dogs to end the standoff.

phill4paul
11-09-2014, 08:23 AM
It sounds like the sheriff was the only one with brains in that situation. Those who are upset wouldn't have batted an eye if they shot a grenade at a baby and killed a dozen dogs to end the standoff.

He is a peace officer. Doing whatever is needed and thinking outside the box to maintain the peace. Most people prefer law and order to peace.

acptulsa
11-09-2014, 08:27 AM
"Peace is like a beautiful woman--it's wonderful, but has been known to bear watching."--Will Rogers 1929

I guess no one told him that it's worth the lives of all his constituents to maintain the drug pushing monopoly of the official prescription pad?

Or maybe he just has enough sense to not believe it...

The only shocking thing about this is that anyone is shocked by a sheriff saving lives. Life should be cheap and oxycontin scrips should be dear. No wonder so many of us are ashamed to admit to being registered Republican.

tod evans
11-09-2014, 08:39 AM
The beatings will continue until enough people get fed up and fight back.

One kop doing the right thing in one instance is good but without an honest review of all the cases under his watch I'm hesitant to grant him more than a wary atta-boy...

presence
11-09-2014, 08:48 AM
The government should have no right to regulate medicine to begin with.

This incident is no different in my eyes than the suspect asking for a candy bar.

osan
11-09-2014, 09:08 AM
Bastard.

BASTARD! I say!

He should have assembled his entire team in full military array, riddled the house with lead, and then burned it to the ground the way all the other departments nationwide do. It is standard procedure and he broke with orthodoxy. What message will this send to the Meaner? This man has invited tragedy and chaos into the home of the nation. He must be excised by any means possible, whether to dungeon or death. Damn him. Damn his children. Damn all his posterity. Damn those who lead to his existence. DEVILS, all!

On your knees, everyone, NOW!

All hail The State!

All HAIL, for The State is your Mother; your Father; your Reason for Living. The State is All Knowing; All Perfect. The State is The One. The State is The Many. The State is Your Glory. The State is Your Happiness. The State is The Alpha. The State is the Omega.

The State requires and therefore demands your unwavering, unquestioning obedience to its Holy and Absolute Authority; to its righteous and perfect orthodoxy. Get on your knees and kiss the boot that feeds you; clothes you; protects you; makes you wise; that makes you whole; that loves you despite your unworthiness. Lick it clean of the soil that your imperfection places upon it and atone, however grossly inadequately, for the sin of being what you are; for the hubris of your non-attaining self, for without The State you would be less than the nothing that you are.

All hail the Mighty State.

All hail the Infallible State.

All hail Perfection!

JK/SEA
11-09-2014, 09:38 AM
Bastard.

BASTARD! I say!

He should have assembled his entire team in full military array, riddled the house with lead, and then burned it to the ground the way all the other departments nationwide do. It is standard procedure and he broke with orthodoxy. What message will this send to the Meaner? This man has invited tragedy and chaos into the home of the nation. He must be excised by any means possible, whether to dungeon or death. Damn him. Damn his children. Damn all his posterity. Damn those who lead to his existence. DEVILS, all!

All hail The State!

All HAIL, for The State is your Mother; your Father; your Reason for Living. The State is All Knowing; All Perfect. The State is The One. The State is The Many. The State is Your Glory. The State is Your Happiness. The State is The Alpha. The State is the Omega.

The State requires and therefore demands your unwavering, unquestioning obedience to its Holy and Absolute Authority; to its righteous and perfect orthodoxy. Get on your knees and kiss the boot that feeds you; clothes you; protects you; makes you wise; that makes you whole; that loves you despite your unworthiness. Lick it clean of the soil that your imperfection places upon it and atone, however grossly inadequately, for the sin of being what you are; for the hubris of your non-attaining self, for without The State you would be less than the nothing that you are.

All hail Perfection!

good to see you finally came around.

you forgot to say 'thank you Police', but thats a minor detail this time comrade.

acptulsa
11-09-2014, 09:45 AM
Bastard.

BASTARD! I say!

He should have assembled his entire team in full military array, riddled the house with lead, and then burned it to the ground the way all the other departments nationwide do. It is standard procedure and he broke with orthodoxy...

How dare you question this courageous and selfless hero who puts his life on the line daily to keep Americans safe?!

ClydeCoulter
11-09-2014, 10:00 AM
He is a peace officer. Doing whatever is needed and thinking outside the box to maintain the peace. Most people prefer law and order to peace.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I owe you a rep or two when it works on my system again.

ClydeCoulter
11-09-2014, 10:01 AM
The government should have no right to regulate medicine to begin with.

This incident is no different in my eyes than the suspect asking for a candy bar.

^^^^ And you too ^^^^^ (IOU 3 reps from this and others the past few days)

tangent4ronpaul
11-09-2014, 10:19 AM
Bastard.

BASTARD! I say!

All hail The State!

All hail Perfection!

party at osan's place.

I'll bring the rope, who can bring the tree?

WOW! ppl really think like this...

wonder how many heads on pikes it will take to correct this thought crime...

Mani
11-10-2014, 02:16 AM
Wait....I don't get the shock...

He got a pill and gave it to a guy who then surrendered?

What's the part that's shocking (can't watch videos at the moment).

The fact that he gave a prescription pill to a guy who didn't have a prescription?

Is that the shock?

Because that's the least shocking thing I've ever heard.

NorthCarolinaLiberty
11-10-2014, 02:36 AM
Andy Taylor is passe.