PDA

View Full Version : New York Deputy Slaps Citizen for Not Allowing him to Search Car

phill4paul
11-08-2014, 08:28 AM
Saratoga County Deputy Shawn Glans had no idea he was being recorded as he tried to intimidate a man into allowing him to search his car, which is why he slapped him on the back of his head while yanking the keys out of his hand, tossing them to another deputy who searched the man's car and found nothing illegal.

But he does know now after Adam Roberts uploaded the video to Facebook where it began going viral Friday.

In a Facebook message interview with Photography is Not a Crime, Roberts explained that he and his buddy, Colin Fitch, who owns the car, had parked it at a business that was closed and walked to a nearby party Thursday night. They didn’t spend much time at the party but when they walked back to the car, they were confronted by deputies who had spotted a rifle in the back seat and wanted to search the car.

Firth had purchased a .22 rifle earlier that day and had left it in the back seat, Roberts said. When Deputy Glans asked to search the car, Fitch would not give him permission, insisting he had done nothing illegal.

Unfortunately, that slapping part was not caught on video, but the sound of the slap is loud and clear. But he followed it up by making more threats, proving to be the real asshole.

As they were searching the car, Firth showed them his receipt for the gun and they allowed him to leave.
Read more at http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=290_1415427089#zfKjs9HC03Fbx46D.99

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XExqABO4kc&feature=share

enhanced_deficit
11-08-2014, 08:46 AM
First, great post.

Second, in the middle of this freedom operation, car search should not have been resisted if that "a****le had nothing to hide".

Third, it flows in all direction when the floodgates of freedom are opened.

Hypothetical: Does thugish behavior trickle down to policing institutions from the top (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?434839-Hypothetical-Does-thugish-behavior-trickle-down-to-policing-institutions-from-the-top&)
Is the ongoing Surge of Police State in America a Surge of Karma? (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?444261-Is-the-ongoing-Surge-of-Police-State-in-America-a-Surge-of-Karma&)
Obama Rejects Karzai Demands to Curb Home Raids
online.wsj.com/.../SB1000142405274870444430...‎The Wall Street Journal
Nov 22, 2010 -... Obama Rejects Push From Karzai to Reduce Raids in Afghan..

presence
11-08-2014, 08:54 AM
Slap to the back of the head?

Time and again I feel the thing that keeps us from freedom in this country is a lack of martial arts training.

Cop needed a brachial stun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcaOr1TBA1w

Suzanimal
11-08-2014, 08:59 AM
Cop was suspended without pay....I guess that's something.

http://photographyisnotacrime.com/2014/11/new-york-deputy-slaps-citizen-allowing-search-car/

presence
11-08-2014, 09:03 AM
November 8, 2014
Earlier this evening this agency was contacted in regard to a video posted online which appeared to show an inappropriate interaction

between an on-duty member of the Sheriff’s Office and a civilian

during a roadside interview resulting from a suspicious vehicle complaint in the Town of Halfmoon in the early hours of November 7th. The Sheriff’s Office has identified and interviewed all parties involved in the interaction and as a result the member involved has been suspended without pay effective immediately pending the outcome of the investigation and

possible disciplinary action.

The Sheriff’s Office takes matters such as this very seriously and we do not in any way condone anything less than professional behavior from our members. We wish to thank the members of the community who brought this to light and cooperated fully with the investigation. At this time this is an internal personnel investigation as there is no criminal complaint from the involved civilian. No additional information will be released until the investigation is concluded.

Chief Richard L. Castle

Suck it asshole. If I slapped that cop in the back of the head I'd be looking at a felony and hard time.

JK/SEA
11-08-2014, 09:34 AM
anyone care to guess what the outcome would have been without the recording?...

sparebulb
11-08-2014, 09:37 AM

Correct.

Plus, anyone care to guess what the ultimate outcome will be for the cop?

I'm guessing reinstatement and full back pay once the cop union is done. Perhaps even a PTSD disability claim and early, full retirement.

CaptUSA
11-08-2014, 09:43 AM

Exactly. So what have we learned again?

Every time you have an interaction with law enforcement - TURN ON YOUR CAMERA!!!

presence
11-08-2014, 09:46 AM

Every time you have an interaction with law enforcement - TURN ON YOUR CAMERA!!!

It might be best to turn off your safety.

SeanTX
11-08-2014, 09:48 AM
He's been a tax tick for 27 years, so his punishment will be that of enjoying an early retirement. Plus, he's had a really bad year, and what better way to deal with that than running around slapping people? It's good to be one of the King's men ...

His wife, Carrie, who is a medical provider, said her husband has been under a lot of emotional and physical stress and that she's concerned how the video and any fallout may portray their family in the community.

"What my husband did and how he reacted wasn't the correct way to do it, but there were circumstances that came about beforehand," she said. "He's had a very hard year."

http://www.timesunion.com/local/article/Saratoga-deputy-suspended-as-video-of-slapping-5880169.php

tod evans
11-08-2014, 10:00 AM
His wife, Carrie, who is a medical provider, said her husband has been under a lot of emotional and physical stress and that she's concerned how the video and any fallout may portray their family in the community.

"What my husband did and how he reacted wasn't the correct way to do it, but there were circumstances that came about beforehand," she said. "He's had a very hard year."

And Mr. Frein had a rough year too...

Mr. Dorner too...

sparebulb
11-08-2014, 10:20 AM

I suppose that Carrie is now volunteering for anyone that is having a bad year to slap her in her copsucker?

Spikender
11-08-2014, 10:24 AM
I suppose that Carrie is now volunteering for anyone that is having a bad year to slap her in her copsucker?

True dat.

I suppose if I ever get desperate and have to knock over a liquor store, I'll just tell everyone I was having a bad year and they'll let me off with a warning.

Anti Federalist
11-08-2014, 10:38 AM
And Mr. Frein had a rough year too...

Mr. Dorner too...

And Mr. Drega...

And Mr. Smith...

And Mr. Onslow...

limequat
11-08-2014, 02:21 PM
Slap to the back of the head?

Time and again I feel the thing that keeps us from freedom in this country is a lack of martial arts training.

Cop needed a brachial stun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcaOr1TBA1w

When the tide changes from the peasants crying for cop cameras for the peasants safety... to the *cops* crying for cameras for their safety...then we will have learned Presence's lesson.

Ironic, because I was just taught that stun not 2 hours ago. A good martial artist could have killed that cops in 10 different ways in the time span of that video. His hands were down at his side almost the entire time. He had zero fear of any sort of reciprocity.

Take Presences advice. Take some training. Turn off the camera.
Better yet take the training and leave the camera running.

Occam's Banana
11-08-2014, 03:59 PM
"Ya wanna f*****g resist?"
http://www.lewrockwell.com/lrc-blog/ya-wanna-fg-resist/
William Norman Grigg (08 November 2014)

“Let me see your f****g key,” grunted Saratoga County, New York Sheriff’s Deputy Shawn Glans at Colin Fitch during a nighttime encounter in a parking lot.

“Why?” inquired the terrified but resolute young man.

“I’m going to search your f*****g car, that’s why,” persisted the costumed bully.

“You can’t do that,” Fitch replied, thereby issuing a lawful order the girthy tax-feeder was legally required to obey.

Displaying both his propensity for criminal violence, and the abrupt limits of his vocabulary, Glans escalated the encounter from harassment to aggravated assault and burglary.

“Ya wanna f*****g resist?” he sneered, striking Fitch in the head and stealing his car keys. “If you have nothing to hide in there, we’re just going to check and be on our f*****g merry way. Understand? A**hole.”

Fitch and his friend Adam Roberts had left their locked car in the parking lot of a closed business while attending a party. In an interview with Photography Is Not A Crime (http://photographyisnotacrime.com/2014/11/new-york-deputy-slaps-citizen-allowing-search-car/), Roberts recalled that when they left the party they were confronted by Glans and a comrade, who had spotted a legally-purchased .22 rifle in the backseat of the vehicle. Exercising his rights, Fitch refused to consent to a warrantless search, which Glans perceived as a”contempt of cop.”

After Roberts posted the video to YouTube, and PINAC organized a call-in campaign to the Saratoga County Sheriff’s Office, Glans was placed on unpaid vacation (http://www.timesunion.com/local/article/Saratoga-deputy-suspended-as-video-of-slapping-5880169.php).

In 1996, Deputy Glans plowed head-on into a vehicle driven by Douglas McEachron, a member of the productive sector and father of six children (http://photographyisnotacrime.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Screenshot-2014-11-08-02.34.50.png). At the time, Glans was driving at least 60 miles an hour in a 20 MPH zone. His victim was left blinded and paralyzed and thus unable to support his family. In 1999, a federal jury ruled in favor of McEachron, who had filed a $60 million lawsuit and received a multi-million-dollar settlement at the expense of the county government’s tax victims.

aGameOfThrones
11-08-2014, 04:59 PM
"Ya wanna f*****g resist?"
http://www.lewrockwell.com/lrc-blog/ya-wanna-fg-resist/
William Norman Grigg (08 November 2014)

“Let me see your f****g key,” grunted Saratoga County, New York Sheriff’s Deputy Shawn Glans at Colin Fitch during a nighttime encounter in a parking lot.

“Why?” inquired the terrified but resolute young man.

“I’m going to search your f*****g car, that’s why,” persisted the costumed bully.

“You can’t do that,” Fitch replied, thereby issuing a lawful order the girthy tax-feeder was legally required to obey.

Displaying both his propensity for criminal violence, and the abrupt limits of his vocabulary, Glans escalated the encounter from harassment to aggravated assault and burglary.

“Ya wanna f*****g resist?” he sneered, striking Fitch in the head and stealing his car keys. “If you have nothing to hide in there, we’re just going to check and be on our f*****g merry way. Understand? A**hole.”

Fitch and his friend Adam Roberts had left their locked car in the parking lot of a closed business while attending a party. In an interview with Photography Is Not A Crime (http://photographyisnotacrime.com/2014/11/new-york-deputy-slaps-citizen-allowing-search-car/), Roberts recalled that when they left the party they were confronted by Glans and a comrade, who had spotted a legally-purchased .22 rifle in the backseat of the vehicle. Exercising his rights, Fitch refused to consent to a warrantless search, which Glans perceived as a”contempt of cop.”

After Roberts posted the video to YouTube, and PINAC organized a call-in campaign to the Saratoga County Sheriff’s Office, Glans was placed on unpaid vacation (http://www.timesunion.com/local/article/Saratoga-deputy-suspended-as-video-of-slapping-5880169.php).

In 1996, Deputy Glans plowed head-on into a vehicle driven by Douglas McEachron, a member of the productive sector and father of six children (http://photographyisnotacrime.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Screenshot-2014-11-08-02.34.50.png). At the time, Glans was driving at least 60 miles an hour in a 20 MPH zone. His victim was left blinded and paralyzed and thus unable to support his family. In 1999, a federal jury ruled in favor of McEachron, who had filed a $60 million lawsuit and received a multi-million-dollar settlement at the expense of the county government’s tax victims.

moar SWLOD....

PaulConventionWV
11-08-2014, 06:32 PM
Cop was suspended without pay....I guess that's something.

http://photographyisnotacrime.com/2014/11/new-york-deputy-slaps-citizen-allowing-search-car/

Without pay??!!! :eek:

:D:D:D:p:toady::rolleyes:

jjdoyle
11-08-2014, 06:49 PM
Suck it asshole. If I slapped that cop in the back of the head I'd be looking at a felony and hard time.

As you should be, mundane. Resisting arrest. Felony assault AND battery. This guy did this to himself, as Officer Friendly informed him. "If you had nothing to hide in there...."

He probably looked suspicious, resisted the initial request for the search of the vehicle, and resisted THE COMMAND for the keys, and had to get slapped around for him to obey that command. Clearly, the civilian escalated this situation.

RJB
11-08-2014, 06:54 PM
Saratoga County Deputy Shawn Glans

Appropriately named:

glans

/ɡlanz/

noun
Anatomy

noun: glans; plural noun: glandes

the rounded part forming the end of the penis ( glans penis ) or clitoris ( glans clitoridis ).

osan
11-09-2014, 02:55 AM
This is why I avoid cops like plague. If he put hands on me that way, his nuts would be hanging from his forehead. No, I am not kidding.

Suzanimal
11-09-2014, 05:59 AM
Without pay??!!! :eek:

:D:D:D:p:toady::rolleyes:

:eek::D
I know, it's pretty sad, but I'm shocked he even got that.

Appropriately named:

Saratoga County Deputy Shawn Glans

glans

/ɡlanz/

noun
Anatomy

noun: glans; plural noun: glandes

the rounded part forming the end of the penis ( glans penis ) or clitoris ( glans clitoridis ).

So technically he's a dickhead, his name suits him.

aGameOfThrones
11-09-2014, 11:21 PM
"I was concerned. It was a public safety issue," the sergeant said. "If I had to do it all over again ... I'd probably do the same thing. If I knew the camera was there, no, because it does look bad."

SWLOD Harder!!!! Where is the anti-bullying campaign? Where is the anti-harassment campaign?

Suzanimal
11-10-2014, 05:28 PM
Charged with Official Misconduct & Harassment 2nd Degree.

Saratoga Deputy Arrested for Slapping Citizen on Video

Sergeant Shawn Glans, who was placed on unpaid administrative leave, was also forced to resign in what will probably go down as the quickest internal investigation in the history of law enforcement.
The news was just announced on the department’s Facebook page with the following press release: (at link)

http://photographyisnotacrime.com/2014/11/saratoga-deputy-arrested-slapping-citizen-video/

phill4paul
11-10-2014, 05:40 PM

O.K, let me get this out of the way.....:eek:

However, why only two charges? I can think of several others. The kind D.A.s lump in to get a guilty plea in exchange for a lighter sentence.

Still, :eek:

aGameOfThrones
11-10-2014, 09:55 PM

gypsy cop. a mundane would've had more charges to make sure to get at least one charge.

SeanTX
11-10-2014, 10:07 PM
Both officers should be facing charges for the unlawful search also ...

enhanced_deficit
11-11-2014, 04:58 AM
But from another perspective, this guy should be grateful that he is alive to complain about this slap while having a registed rifle openly displayed in he car. In case of black mother Miriam Carey who had a baby of displayed in her car, there was no such courtesy as car inspection demand and it was just 5 bullets in her head. But she was black and was giving grief to safety officers near the White house.

Mani
11-11-2014, 11:35 PM
But from another perspective, this guy should be grateful that he is alive to complain about this slap while having a registed rifle openly displayed in he car. In case of black mother Miriam Carey who had a baby of displayed in her car, there was no such courtesy as car inspection demand and it was just 5 bullets in her head. But she was black and was giving grief to safety officers near the White house.

Good point, the guy could be dead.

Cops find gun in car...."as I searched the car, he menacingly approached the car and lunged toward the rifle, I had no choice but to protect the safety of myself and my fellow officer."

You think with a police statement like that, and cellphone that was accidentally run over by the police cruiser, so there's no witnesses and no video evidence...You think that guy's family has any chance of successfully prosecuting those cops??

Not a fucking chance. Cops get away with shooting unarmed people all the time, saying the dude was "lunging" for their gun when the guy lunging is 10 feet away running in the opposite direction. UNARMED!!! A guy with a gun in his backseat...Fuck I'm surprised they didn't shoot him onsite.

Philhelm
11-12-2014, 02:19 PM
Both officers should be facing charges for the unlawful search also ...

No, they should be given an option:

1. Immediately hanged from the nearest tree; corpse fed to wild pigs.
2. They can live as free men, but their nose, lips, and eyelids would be removed.