PDA

View Full Version : NYPD officers charged after video catches teen getting pistol whipped

aGameOfThrones
11-08-2014, 06:52 AM
"The video speaks for itself, doesn’t it?" Brooklyn District Attorney Kenneth Thompson said Wednesday about a brief video recording that led to two New York Police Department cops being charged in connection to the pistol-whipping assault of a 16-year-old Brooklyn boy. The boy, who was arrested for marijuana possession, ended up with broken teeth and bruises.

The officers charged in Brooklyn Supreme Court on Wednesday are David Afanador, 33, and Tyrane Isaac, 36, both nine-year veterans.

The 82-second video of the teen's August 29 beating—widely available on the Internet—was captured by a local Crown Heights business. The tape shows the boy running before eventually stopping and raising his hands, after which he is pummeled and taken to the ground.

Thompson, the district attorney, told the New York Daily News that the two officers, who remain free and are scheduled to appear in court next month, "hit a defenseless unarmed young man in the mouth and attacked him while he tried to surrender." The cops' attorney, Stephen Worth, said there's more to the tape than meets the eye. "We’ve tried these cases in front of juries and we won these case in front of juries and I expect this to happen here as well," the New York Daily News quoted him as saying.

The officers' indictment follows a nationwide string of police brutality incidents caught on tape, some of which have had severe repercussions for the arresting officers. As the surveillance society blossoms—with the growth of surveillance cams, mobile phone cameras, and YouTube—the authorities can no longer turn a blind eye to police brutality.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2014/11/nypd-officers-charged-after-video-catches-teen-getting-pistol-whipped/

sparebulb
11-08-2014, 09:04 AM
The cops' side of the story would be a lot more believable if they would have just shot him down through the top of the head and smeared some of the perp's blood on their guns. That is a guaranteed grand jury acquittal.

Spikender
11-08-2014, 09:06 AM
"We’ve tried these cases in front of juries and we won these case in front of juries and I expect this to happen here as well," the New York Daily News quoted him as saying.

All that means is that the jury is full of people both ready to take pig dick up the ass on a daily basis while screaming" We Love the Police!" or the relatives of police, who typically do the same thing only in the literal sense.

presence
11-08-2014, 09:09 AM
The cops' attorney, Stephen Worth, said there's more to the tape than meets the eye.

"We’ve tried these cases in front of juries
and we won these case in front of juries
and I expect this to happen here as well,"

well I agree with that for sure.

Suzanimal
11-08-2014, 09:17 AM
The officers' indictment follows a nationwide string of police brutality incidents caught on tape, some of which have had severe repercussions for the arresting officers.

Maybe a few.

S.Shorland
11-08-2014, 09:20 AM
Wake me when they're convicted.One of the problems is that during jury selection,the attorneys can ask if the selectees have any anti-police feelings? Only those with a 1950s view of peace officers, as were, are likely to be acceptable,I would imagine?

morfeeis
11-08-2014, 09:46 PM
"We’ve tried these cases in front of juries and we won these case in front of juries and I expect this to happen here as well,"

The sad truth of the matter.