PDA

View Full Version : Mike Lee’s Plan To Fix Congress

Brian4Liberty
11-07-2014, 10:12 AM
Mike Lee’s Plan To Fix Congress (http://thefederalist.com/2014/11/06/mike-lees-plan-to-fix-congress/)
Five Steps To Restore Trust, Transparency, And Empowerment
By Sen. Mike Lee - November 6, 2014

After years of frustration and months of feverish work, the Republican Party has finally won back the U.S. Senate, and with it, undivided control of Congress. But no sooner had Tuesday night’s balloon drops hit the floor than Republicans around the country—and especially in certain offices in Washington, DC—faced that timeless question of election-night winners: Now what?

This is never an easy question to answer, given the requisite balancing act between expectations and realities, politics and substance. And answering it could be especially difficult for the leaders of the new Republican Congress, for two additional reasons.

First, there is the still-strained relationship between the GOP’s Washington establishment and its grassroots conservative base. And second, the party establishment and consultant class chose to de-emphasize Republican policy alternatives during the campaign. So despite that strategy’s apparent success Tuesday night, our new majority cannot claim a sweeping legislative mandate.
As a frequent critic of my party’s strategic timidity—and as incoming chairman of the Senate Steering Committee, whose job it is encourage bolder thinking and action—I thought it incumbent on me to offer some concrete, early, and hopefully constructive suggestions about how the new Republican Congress might be steered toward unity and success.
1. Rebuilding Trust

The greatest challenge to policymaking today is distrust. The American people distrust their government, and Congress in particular. For their part, Washington policymakers seem to distrust the people. And almost as pressing for the new majority, the distrust that now exists between grassroots conservative activists and elected Republican leaders can be particularly toxic.
...First, contempt for the American people and the democratic process is something Republicans should oppose in principle. Second, our new Senate majority will be both ideologically diverse and temperamentally independent—unlikely to be as docile and partisan as Senate Democrats have been. And finally, the 2016 presidential primary campaign may include several Republican senators, whose incentives for differentiation in a crowded field will make internal politics even harder to predict or control.
No more “cliff” crises. No more secret negotiations. No more take-it-or-leave-it deadline deals. No more passing bills without reading them. No more procedural manipulation to block debate and compromise. These are the abuses that have created today’s status quo—the status quo Republicans have been hired to correct.

What too few in Washington appreciate—and what the new Republican Congress must if we hope to succeed—is that the American people’s current distrust of their public institutions is totally justified. There’s no misunderstanding. Americans are fed up with Washington, and they have every right to be. The exploitative status quo in Washington has corrupted Americans’ economy and their government, and made its entrenched defenders rich in the process.
2. Don’t Forget Cronyism

We’re going to be hearing that word, “govern,” a lot in coming weeks; as in, “Now Republicans must show they can govern.” What is meant by this is passing bills—quickly and with bipartisan support—and having them signed into law, in order to show the country that Republicans can “get things done.”
We should find common ground that advances our agenda, rather than let the idea of common ground substitute for our agenda.
If we fail to grasp that, we will be drawn into advancing legislation that is both substantively and politically counterproductive, and that sends the wrong message to the public about our party. For instance, the easiest bipartisan measures to pass are almost always bills that directly benefit Big Business, and thus appeal to the corporatist establishments of both parties. In 2015, this “low-hanging fruit” we’ll hear about will be items like corporate tax reform, Obamacare’s medical device tax, patent reform, and perhaps the Keystone XL pipeline approval.

As it happens, these are all good ideas that I support. But if that’s as far as Republicans go, we will regret it. The GOP’s biggest branding problem is that Americans think we’re the party of Big Business and The Rich. If our “Show-We-Can-Govern” agenda can be fairly attacked as giving Big Business what it wants—while the rest of the country suffers—we will only reinforce that unpopular image.
But a new Republican majority must also make clear that our support for free enterprise cuts both ways—we’re pro-free market, not simply pro-business. To prove that point, we must target the crony capitalist policies that rig our economy for large corporations and special interests at the expense of everyone else—especially small and new businesses.

The easiest bipartisan measures to pass are almost always bills that directly benefit Big Business, and thus appeal to the corporatist establishments of both parties.

In other words, Republicans should seek common ground between conservative principles and the interests and needs of the general public, not just between Washington Republicans and Washington Democrats.
Anti-cronyism legislation is win-win for the GOP. It is good policy, restoring growth and fairness to an economy that Big Government and Big Business have rigged against the little guy. And it’s even better politics, standing up for the middle class while pinning hypocritical Democrats between their egalitarian talking points and their elitist agenda.

Taking on crony capitalism is a test of the political will and wisdom of the GOP. To become the party of the middle class and those aspiring to join it—our only hope for success in 2016 and beyond—we have to change more than our rhetoric. The new Republican Congress does have to get things done, but those things have to be for Main Street, too, not just Wall Street and K Street. A big part of our “governing” test is whether we can stand up to special interests.
This issue is reaching critical mass on the Right. And as I see it, it’s now a political necessity, another one that we should embrace rather than resist.
3. Keep it Simple on the Budget

The biggest strategic and legislative question the new Republican Congress will face in 2015 is what we should do on the budget. ...
One of the biggest traps Republicans and conservatives fall into is any debate about budget “cuts.” When you stop for a moment and think, blindly “cutting” the federal government’s budget is not a very conservative approach to governing. After all, the conservative critique of Washington is not that the federal government is a bit profligate, but otherwise efficient and effective with our money. No, the problem with Washington is that it’s comprehensively wasteful, unfair, and dysfunctional. It is, in a great many areas of policy, trying to do the wrong things and doing them in the wrong ways.
Just spending less on a misguided program doesn’t get you any closer to a real solution than just spending more on it.
The annual appropriations process should take up this approach, too. We should put an end to “omnibus,” all-or-nothing spending packages, and instead insist on consideration of each appropriations bill in regular order—with hearings, amendments, and specific votes. This is how the Constitution protects Americans from waste and exploitation, after all. It’s also the only way Congress can hope to rein in the Obama administration’s unprecedented abuses of power—by withholding funding from corrupt bureaucracies.

Indeed, the entire congressional budget-and-spending process is due for a comprehensive overhaul. But at a minimum, Congress should only fund reformed programs. (Only in DC would this suggestion be even remotely controversial.) If the president rigidly resists intelligent, surgical reform based on thorough oversight, then we could turn to across-the-board cuts, as we did in 2011.
In that time, the costs of the staples of middle-class life—housing, health care, education, child-rearing, and retirement security—have risen, unabated. Yet take-home pay is stagnant and jobs are increasingly insecure. We are not getting this right.

But the cliché that Washington doesn’t work is not right, either. Washington does work, for Washington. For many years, Congress has worked perfectly well for so-called “stakeholders” on Wall Street, K Street, and Pennsylvania Avenue. The challenge for the new Republican majority is to put Congress back to work for Main Street—to make Washington work for America.
Much more: http://thefederalist.com/2014/11/06/mike-lees-plan-to-fix-congress/

Brian4Liberty
11-07-2014, 11:02 AM

Brian4Liberty
11-07-2014, 11:03 AM

anaconda
11-07-2014, 11:57 AM
How does the distinguished Senator from Utah expect his legislative peers to reconcile the "trust" of the voters with the "trust" of the special interests that spent millions buying their seats?

ZENemy
11-07-2014, 11:58 AM
Ive heard ALL of this before.

specsaregood
11-07-2014, 12:03 PM
What is Senator Lee's suggestion(s) for all of the legislators that have been placed there with corporate special interest money? Give the millions back? Quit? Expect accidental plane crashes, hunting accidents, heart attacks, or an inevitable inclination towards apparent suicide?

Uhm, tell their corporate donors, "Suckers! Ha!" As far as I know, they are under no legal obligation to pay them back with favors.

anaconda
11-07-2014, 01:40 PM
No mention by the good Senator of world peace as a way to inspire the people to reaffirm their trust in government. Also could not help but notice that he seemed to be trying to deflect away from restraining spending in favor of "fixing" programs. i.e. if a ridiculous program sucks we won't defund and eliminate it - HEY we'll just unleash Ryan Groups of bureaucrats to FIX the ridiculous program. Count me inspired. I can't wait!

r3volution 3.0
11-07-2014, 01:45 PM
Mr. Lee has the hang of the reign...

I approve.

bunklocoempire
11-07-2014, 01:59 PM
Trust? Cronyism? Keep it simple? Fund it/fix it? Ryan-ize?

Piss off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4uj59SMdbM[/VIDEO]

brushfire
11-07-2014, 01:59 PM
Send out another arecibo broadcast with directions towards congress, and hope for the best?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_k8YpQKzl_k

Working Poor
11-07-2014, 04:07 PM
Send out another arecibo broadcast with directions towards congress, and hope for the best?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_k8YpQKzl_k

I like the part with the old lady laughing when she said "they're blowing up congress" HA HA

Brian4Liberty
11-07-2014, 04:10 PM
No mention by the good Senator of world peace as a way to inspire the people to reaffirm their trust in government. Also could not help but notice that he seemed to be trying to deflect away from restraining spending in favor of "fixing" programs. i.e. if a ridiculous program sucks we won't defund and eliminate it - HEY we'll just unleash Ryan Groups of bureaucrats to FIX the ridiculous program. Count me inspired. I can't wait!

I think he just wants to take this one step at a time and go through the process. Start with targeted cuts, and when that (most likely) fails, the fall-back position is the good old fashioned across the board cuts.

If the president rigidly resists intelligent, surgical reform based on thorough oversight, then we could turn to across-the-board cuts, as we did in 2011.

Brian4Liberty
11-07-2014, 04:14 PM
Trust? Cronyism? Keep it simple? Fund it/fix it? Ryan-ize?

Yeah, too much praise for Ryan inspires a bit of mistrust right there. Supposedly he did a lot of work behind the scenes getting into the budget mess, and I assume Lee wants to leverage that.

I prefer to focus on the positive areas of agreement at this point, especially if it is someone who is essentially on the right side of many issues.

anaconda
11-07-2014, 08:51 PM
Paul Ryan's stated marathon time: "Two hours and fifty something...."

Paul Ryan's actual marathon time: Over four hours.

HE "Ryan-ized" his marathon time!

thoughtomator
11-07-2014, 10:00 PM
My plan to fix Congress:

http://www.keepcalmstudio.com/_gallery/300/1ilbFQk.png

Brian4Liberty
11-07-2014, 10:16 PM
Paul Ryan's stated marathon time: "Two hours and fifty something...."

Paul Ryan's actual marathon time: Over four hours.

HE "Ryan-ized" his marathon time!

I'll race him. I ran my last 5k in 10 minutes, give or take 14 minutes...

anaconda
11-07-2014, 10:46 PM
I'll race him. I ran my last 5k in 10 minutes, give or take 14 minutes...

It took guts for Paul Ryan to lie that flagrantly about his marathon time. That's the type of resolve and determination we need in Washington, D.C.

Pericles
11-07-2014, 11:31 PM
It has been done before - in September of 1814. An Army approaches Washington, DC and runs the Congress, President and SCOTUS out of town. That Army then proceeds to set fire to the town.

H. E. Panqui
11-08-2014, 06:46 AM
:rolleyes:

Mike Lee is yet another stinking Republican puppet...IZraeli-cheerleading warmonger, monetary ignoramus, general phony...(Just like the rest of the so-called 'libertarian' Republicans..YUCK!!!)

http://www.ontheissues.org/international/Mike_Lee_Foreign_Policy.htm

"Israel is our closest ally in the Middle East, providing the US with a stable and dependable partner in a hostile region of the world. Israel faces many of the same threats confronting the US and we share a common interest in eradicating threats to peace worldwide. For these and other reasons, the US has an undeniably strong interest in defending Israel's national sovereignty and security.As a member of the US Senate, I will support Israel's right to defend itself. I will also support US efforts to protect Israel, given the close connection between Israel's national security and our own. I strongly support the maintenance of Israel's qualitative military edge and recognize the important role the US plays in assuring that this military superiority i maintained. In the Senate, I would support security assistance for Israel to enable Israel to maintain this critical edge. Such security assistance to Israel plays an important role in helping to maintain our own national security.
Source: 2010 Senate campaign website, www.mikelee2010.com (http://www.ontheissues.org/2010_Senate_Web.htm), "Issues" , Jul 19, 2010"

JK/SEA
11-08-2014, 09:49 AM
LEE/BECK 2016.

Cleaner44
11-08-2014, 10:34 AM
Getting things done... passing bills... created more laws... FUCK THAT!

We have too many laws already. We don't need more laws passed every fucking week, month after month, year after year.

Murder is already against the law. Rape is already against the law. Stealing is already against the law. I am pretty sure we have had these things covered for hundreds of years.

I don't need new laws that are designed to micromanage my life. I don't want new laws that grant privileges to special interests.

Oh how I wish people would stop measuring the Congress by how many new laws they pass.

JK/SEA
11-08-2014, 10:50 AM
Getting things done... passing bills... created more laws... FUCK THAT!

We have too many laws already. We don't need more laws passed every fucking week, month after month, year after year.

Murder is already against the law. Rape is already against the law. Stealing is already against the law. I am pretty sure we have had these things covered for hundreds of years.

I don't need new laws that are designed to micromanage my life. I don't want new laws that grant privileges to special interests.

Oh how I wish people would stop measuring the Congress by how many new laws they pass.

you see that too?...yeah, gotta do something, even if its wrong...and so it goes...

anaconda
11-08-2014, 08:31 PM
I'm going to assume that Mike Lee is playing politics with the establishment in much the same way Rand is. He didn't even vote for cloture on the budget, which was highly principled.

Ender
11-08-2014, 08:34 PM
I'm going to assume the Mike Lee is playing politics with the establishment in much the same way Rand is. He didn't even vote for cloture on the budget, which was highly principled.

Agreed.

Overall, Lee is a good man.