PDA

View Full Version : Rand Paul can "count on" Mitch McConnell

TaftFan
11-06-2014, 09:26 PM
http://www.kentucky.com/2014/11/06/3525224_mcconnell-reflects-after-reaching.html?rh=1

McConnell also is intrigued by Paul's plans for 2016, when Kentucky's junior senator faces re-election to his Senate seat while potentially running for president.

It's a safe bet that Paul won't be the only member of McConnell's GOP caucus who considers trying for a move to the other end of Pennsylvania Avenue.

Does that require a tricky balance?

"(It's) not tricky at all," McConnell said. "Obviously, I'm a big supporter of Rand Paul. We've developed a very tight relationship, and I'm for him."

For president?

"Whatever he decides to do," McConnell said. "I don't think he's made a final decision on that. But he'll be able to count on me."

McConnell acknowledged that Paul's position "is complicated," since Paul's re-election bid could suffer from the attacks that come with a presidential run, but he said he would reserve any advice he has for Paul for their private conversations.

I hope so. Mitch can raise serious dough.

Crashland
11-06-2014, 10:53 PM
McConnell should realize that Rand emerging as the leader of the GOP as President is his best chance at staying the majority leader in 2016. The GOP will have more than twice as many seats to hold than the Democrats will. Rand is the only GOP contender who can really run as a significant change candidate in 2016 even though his own party already controls both houses. The GOP senators can ride Rand's coattails in 2016 and maintain the majority with McConnell still at the helm.

Spikender
11-06-2014, 11:10 PM
Yeah we'll see if he can count on you. Your talk is cheap, show me through actions, McConnell.

invisible
11-07-2014, 12:52 AM
I wonder if this means Audit The Fed will finally come up for a vote?

RonPaulGeorge&Ringo
11-07-2014, 01:50 AM
I can't see McConnell denying votes on any of Rand's key issues.

FriedChicken
11-07-2014, 06:32 AM

Yeah that is what I'm most excited about.
Rand has a lot of bills on the shelf that have bipartisan support that ought to pass easily if voted on. If they don't pass that would be pretty telling of all those who voted no.

NACBA
11-07-2014, 07:15 AM
http://dailycaller.com/2014/11/06/mcconnell-i-stand-with-rand-for-president/

presence
11-07-2014, 07:54 AM
Well he certainly can count on him more than Reid

anaconda
11-07-2014, 08:58 AM
McConnell should realize that Rand emerging as the leader of the GOP as President is his best chance at staying the majority leader in 2016. The GOP will have more than twice as many seats to hold than the Democrats will. Rand is the only GOP contender who can really run as a significant change candidate in 2016 even though his own party already controls both houses. The GOP senators can ride Rand's coattails in 2016 and maintain the majority with McConnell still at the helm.

I'm not quite clear. Are you saying that a Rand Paul run for President somehow improves the vote for GOP Senate incumbents in 2016? Thanks for clarifying. I'm curious about your ideas here.

Crashland
11-07-2014, 09:59 AM
I'm not quite clear. Are you saying that a Rand Paul run for President somehow improves the vote for GOP Senate incumbents in 2016? Thanks for clarifying. I'm curious about your ideas here.

Yes that's where I was as going with that. I think the voters will want to vote for change again in 2016, which is bad news for all the GOP incumbents. If Rand wins the nomination, he will be leading the GOP in a new direction, unlike the other possible candidates who are more or less for the GOP status quo. Rand Paul at the top of the ticket is the best chance for the GOP to both win the presidency and hold onto the Senate

Matt Collins
11-07-2014, 12:44 PM
The most powerful Republican in the country supports Rand Paul for President

http://rare.us/story/mitch-mcconnell-goes-all-in-for-rand-paul-2016/

r3volution 3.0
11-07-2014, 01:14 PM
--> this....

Hostile Interviewer: "A lot of people like your ideas, Senator, but they're not so sure you could actually govern if you were elected."

Senator Paul: "With a Republican House, and with my friend Mitch McConnell leading the Senate, I don't foresee any trouble working with Congress."

....and this

Hostile Interviewer: "Some still say your ideas are too far outside the mainstream, maybe even kooky, what do you say to them Senator?"

Senator Paul: "The leader of the US Senate doesn't thin I'm a kook."

....and of course this

Rand: "Hey Mitch, how about those donors?"

Mitch: "Okay"

RonPaulFanInGA
11-07-2014, 01:26 PM
Meanwhile, there was an article yesterday saying the Cruz is the Senator most-hated by his colleagues, because they believe he's only interested in promoting himself.

RonPaulFanInGA
11-07-2014, 01:29 PM
http://www.kentucky.com/2014/11/06/3525224_mcconnell-reflects-after-reaching.html

LOUISVILLE — There were only two things Mitch McConnell didn't want to talk about Thursday — whether he will run for re-election in 2020 and his eventual legacy.

In his first one-on-one interview since his landslide re-election to a sixth term and his expected ascendance to U.S. Senate majority leader, McConnell talked at length with the Herald-Leader about how he wants to use his new role to help Kentucky, a possible run for president by U.S. Sen. Rand Paul and the conventional wisdom that McConnell is unpopular.

r3volution 3.0
11-07-2014, 01:42 PM
Meanwhile, there was an article yesterday saying the Cruz is the Senator most-hated by his colleagues, because they believe he's only interested in promoting himself.

Yep.

If the Senate starts passing decent bills, Cruz is cooked. He'll either have to sheepishly join the team (as a generally disliked and very much junior member) or he'll have to thrash about for the next two years in a vain effort to maintain his anti-establishment bone fides - which won't work against the backdrop of the first functioning Republican Congress in a long time.

Meanwhile, Rand can build up a record of legislative accomplishment for 2016, while continuing to distinguish himself from the establishment; but on substance, and without hostility, "big tent" and all that.

CaptUSA
11-07-2014, 01:52 PM
Does anyone else think things are going exactly according to Team Rand's playbook? The only real misfire seems to be Cuccinelli, but even that could end up helping him.

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/a9/a9985f25fcc457d549ada5d97423e56be41f4c4e8ade232692 0b4c90e6bd7555.jpg

Inkblots
11-07-2014, 01:54 PM
Meanwhile, Rand can build up a record of legislative accomplishment for 2016, while continuing to distinguish himself from the establishment; but on substance, and without hostility, "big tent" and all that.

And, of course, actually passing some of his criminal justice reform bills will shut up those Dem partisans who try to tell black voters that Rand's all talk and no action. This is going to be great.

Coolidge/Dawes '24
11-07-2014, 02:08 PM

Ted Cruz has also taken a bold, proactive stance on abolishing the IRS, eviscerating EPA regulations, repealing Common Core, rejecting amnesty, and stopping Obama's executive lawlessness - all positions the Establishment GOP secretly abhor because they see the "politics of purity" as the pathway to political destruction. They're content with the Clintonian "mend don't end" brand of realpolitik that will secure them victories in the House and Senate at the expense of their souls. They'd rather "fine tune" unpopular provisions of ObamaCare like the medical device tax than set their sights on real cost-drivers (that happen to be popular because of the GOP's failure to educate the public) like the pre-existing conditions clause, the slacker mandate, community ratings regulations, and the individual mandate (all of which Ted Cruz opposes). They'd rather adjust capital gains by a tenth of a percentage point, appoint new IRS commissioners, and ramble on about transparency and oversight of the IRS than actually get rid of it. They'd rather follow the marching orders of Jeb Bush, perhaps subduing the influence of the U.N. and Planned Parenthood on Common Core curricula, but not stopping them. This crowd has made their peace with the New Deal and is happy with simply preserving the status quo against further expansion of government, rather than reducing it.

You don't have to like to Ted Cruz to see why the GOP Establishment hates him.

Millennial Conservatarian
11-07-2014, 02:37 PM
Ted Cruz has also taken a bold, proactive stance on abolishing the IRS, eviscerating EPA regulations, repealing Common Core, rejecting amnesty, and stopping Obama's executive lawlessness - all positions the Establishment GOP secretly abhor because they see the "politics of purity" as the pathway to political destruction. They're content with the Clintonian "mend don't end" brand of realpolitik that will secure them victories in the House and Senate at the expense of their souls. They'd rather "fine tune" unpopular provisions of ObamaCare like the medical device tax than set their sights on real cost-drivers (that happen to be popular because of the GOP's failure to educate the public) like the pre-existing conditions clause, the slacker mandate, community ratings regulations, and the individual mandate (all of which Ted Cruz opposes). They'd rather adjust capital gains by a tenth of a percentage point, appoint new IRS commissioners, and ramble on about transparency and oversight of the IRS than actually get rid of it. They'd rather follow the marching orders of Jeb Bush, perhaps subduing the influence of the U.N. and Planned Parenthood on Common Core curricula, but not stopping them. This crowd has made their peace with the New Deal and is happy with simply preserving the status quo against further expansion of government, rather than reducing it.

You don't have to like to Ted Cruz to see why the GOP Establishment hates him.

Except those are not the positions the public HATES Ted Cruz for. Ted Cruz is unpopular outside the base because he's a bible-thumping hack who parrots the same old GOP narrative about running your social life. And his demeanor is that of a Bull in a China shop. He doesn't seek to achieve a broad conservative consensus, he seeks (and his supporters even more so seek) to shove 100% of their beliefs down your throat, and if you share any contrary beliefs to their dogma, you are a Marxist infiltrator.

I'm a Rand fan and I'd rather "follow the marching orders of the establishment" and see what happens in a year from now than follow Ted Cruz's marching orders right off a cliff into Tea-Party evangelical oblivion.

Krugminator2
11-07-2014, 03:21 PM
Ted Cruz has also taken a bold, proactive stance on abolishing the IRS, eviscerating EPA regulations, repealing Common Core, rejecting amnesty, and stopping Obama's executive lawlessness

Rand has taken all of those positions and done so without alienating his colleagues and a significant part of the country. And Cruz has an almost identical position to Rand on immigration. The only difference is Cruz favors giving people Green Cards with no option for citizenship. Rand favors allowing people to enter the line without being deported in the meantime.

I am a Rand partisan, but even setting that aside, Rand has been far more hardcore on more issues that I care about than Cruz. Cruz has been totally absent from almost every debate that doesn't pander to either Evangelicals or the right wing blog crowd.

I don't consider being hated a virtue either. Cruz isn't hated because he is a bold truth teller. He is hated because he is a pandering asshole that will step on the throats of his colleagues in pursuit of political ambition.

RonPaulFanInGA
11-07-2014, 03:28 PM
Ted Cruz has also taken a bold, proactive stance on abolishing the IRS, eviscerating EPA regulations, repealing Common Core, rejecting amnesty, and stopping Obama's executive lawlessness - all positions the Establishment GOP secretly abhor because they see the "politics of purity" as the pathway to political destruction.

There are others, such as Paul and Lee, with those positions. The difference is that they're not abrasive loudmouths.

That smarmy smirk that is constantly plastered on Cruz's face doesn't help either.

http://img.wonkette.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/cruz-smirk.jpg

Feeding the Abscess
11-07-2014, 03:39 PM

Sure, but that's because Rand won't bring bills that abolish the IRS, end the actions in Iraq and elsewhere, etc. Rand's going to propose wishy washy, safe bills that others could have proposed.

RonPaulGeorge&Ringo
11-07-2014, 04:26 PM
Yeah that is what I'm most excited about.
Rand has a lot of bills on the shelf that have bipartisan support that ought to pass easily if voted on. If they don't pass that would be pretty telling of all those who voted no.

Even if it works out that a lot Rand's bills don't even get cloture, that there will be a debate will be a great thing for the country.

I think Audit the Fed will go through. I don't see how 40 Senators vote against that at this point. Reid was engaging in desparate, totalitarian tactics to keep it from a vote this year.

invisible
11-07-2014, 05:38 PM
Rand: "Hey Mitch, how about those donors?"

mitch: "Well, can we count on your support for invading Iran? Ever since that last round of polls showed you leading by double digits in IA and NH, my Boeing stock has been tanking! And are you going quit bugging me about auditing the federal reserve? All those lobbyists are really worried, and santorum has been calling me every other day to ask about it on behalf of his K St friends. You realize that you'll never get those big donations without the support of the Wall St lobbyists, don't you?"

Inkblots
11-07-2014, 06:06 PM
Sure, but that's because Rand won't bring bills that abolish the IRS, end the actions in Iraq and elsewhere, etc. Rand's going to propose wishy washy, safe bills that others could have proposed.

Let's think about this for a moment. How should Rand Paul use the limited amount of legislative time that his friends in the leadership (i.e., McConnell) will be able to reserve for him? Pushing grandstanding, antagonistic legislation with absolutely no chance of passage to make a point about how much better and more pure he is? Or proposing sensible, pro-liberty reforms to the tax code and criminal justice system which will build a foundation for future cooperation between different factions and measurably improve the life of many Americans?

The answer is left as an exercise for the reader.

Feeding the Abscess
11-07-2014, 06:15 PM
Let's think about this for a moment. How should Rand Paul use the limited amount of legislative time that his friends in the leadership (i.e., McConnell) will be able to reserve for him? Pushing grandstanding, antagonistic legislation with absolutely no chance of passage to make a point about how much better and more pure he is? Or proposing sensible, pro-liberty reforms to the tax code and criminal justice system which will build a foundation for future cooperation between different factions and measurably improve the life of many Americans?

The answer is left as an exercise for the reader.

We'll see. As time has worn on, Rand has moved closer to the establishment in rhetoric and policy proposals. What he will propose will likely not be what he is advocating now, but something less strident and liberty friendly. If you really think it's worth spending his capital with McConnell on a wishy washy bill that will be the equivalent of paying the minimum requirement on a credit payment, be my guest.

dillo
11-07-2014, 06:44 PM
Thats great news for Rand if its true. I still think his biggest obstacle is the primary, and if Cruz runs hes going to siphon Rand votes hard

satchelmcqueen
11-07-2014, 06:58 PM
i didnt see why rand would ever team with mcconnell. well, now i see the plan. my god, i am seriously thinking rand will be more unstoppable than i thought. rand seems to already have the nomination wrapped up and it hasnt even started yet. the other repubs who run for prez will either hav to just agree with him on stage or face the wrath of the "Randswers" coming their way.

i think i just coined the first term for rand! :)

Coolidge/Dawes '24
11-07-2014, 07:04 PM
Except those are not the positions the public HATES Ted Cruz for. Ted Cruz is unpopular outside the base because he's a bible-thumping hack who parrots the same old GOP narrative about running your social life.

Ted Cruz gets seven-minute standing ovations and a hero's welcome at even relatively moderate gatherings. Even here in Wisconsin, the birthplace of Progressivism, Ted Cruz's filibuster got a resounding reception from people in restaurants and bars all over the place. I can't see how that makes him "hated" by anybody but Establishment Republicans, which I imagine most grassroots conservatives would take as a badge of honor. How are Cruz's social positions any different than Rand's? Both firmly believe that marriage is the province of the states, that all life is sacred, and that business owners should not be forced to violate basic religious beliefs. I'm a "Values Voter" who happens to like the Pauls. There's room for all of us here.

Rand was not well-liked among many of his colleagues at first. Remember McCain disparaging us as "wacko birds?" Or his infamous "Tea Party Hobbits" remark? McConnell fought Rand tooth and claw when he first ran. And with folks like Sean Duffy and Peter King denouncing Cruz in no uncertain terms - along with David Brooks and the rest of the Republican Establishment - I don't feel like this guy is our enemy. Judge Napolitano, the John Birch Society, Pat Buchanan, and other friends of liberty have praised the man. Some people expend more energy on these forums railing against Ted Cruz than they do John Boehner and Mitch McConnell. These people are the real enemies of freedom. Our focus should remain on them.

Crashland
11-07-2014, 07:41 PM
i didnt see why rand would ever team with mcconnell. well, now i see the plan. my god, i am seriously thinking rand will be more unstoppable than i thought. rand seems to already have the nomination wrapped up and it hasnt even started yet. the other repubs who run for prez will either hav to just agree with him on stage or face the wrath of the "Randswers" coming their way.

i think i just coined the first term for rand! :)

I agree - it is a bit scary just how good at politicking Rand actually is. Something tells me we are only seeing the tip of the iceberg. Rand was already looking strong a while ago but he keeps learning and improving.

Millennial Conservatarian
11-07-2014, 08:09 PM
Ted Cruz gets seven-minute standing ovations and a hero's welcome at even relatively moderate gatherings. Even here in Wisconsin, the birthplace of Progressivism, Ted Cruz's filibuster got a resounding reception from people in restaurants and bars all over the place. I can't see how that makes him "hated" by anybody but Establishment Republicans, which I imagine most grassroots conservatives would take as a badge of honor. How are Cruz's social positions any different than Rand's? Both firmly believe that marriage is the province of the states, that all life is sacred, and that business owners should not be forced to violate basic religious beliefs. I'm a "Values Voter" who happens to like the Pauls. There's room for all of us here.

Rand was not well-liked among many of his colleagues at first. Remember McCain disparaging us as "wacko birds?" Or his infamous "Tea Party Hobbits" remark? McConnell fought Rand tooth and claw when he first ran. And with folks like Sean Duffy and Steve King denouncing Cruz in no uncertain terms - along with David Brooks and the rest of the Republican Establishment - I don't feel like this guy is our enemy. Judge Napolitano, the John Birch Society, Pat Buchanan, and other friends of liberty have praised the man. Some people expend more energy on these forums railing against Ted Cruz than they do John Boehner and Mitch McConnell. These people are the real enemies of freedom. Our focus should remain on them.
Well I'm glad you're on our side because a good percent of your fellow "Values Voters" are quite hostile to the Pauls. Specifically, Ted Cruz's supporters are the most anti-Rand out of all the groups in the Republican sphere. Ted Cruz and Rand Paul do not have the same social positions, and Rand understands the party can no longer grandstand about gay marriage as they did just a few election cycles back, while Ted does not. He panders to the social conservative base, while Rand deftly placates them while not wavering from his pro-liberty principles.

anaconda
11-07-2014, 08:56 PM
That smarmy smirk that is constantly plastered on Cruz's face doesn't help either.
http://img.wonkette.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/cruz-smirk.jpg

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20091105220432/headhuntershorrorhouse/images/a/a4/Herman_Munster_002.jpg

RandallFan
11-07-2014, 09:28 PM

That's not going to hurt him if he runs for president. Some of it might be because they don't want to take tough votes and dont want abusive phone calls from constituents.

Kelly Ayotte was one of the ones who attacked Cruz and Lee and she just doesn't like getting heckled for breaking her promises.

Cruz is more popular than Rick Perry "getting the job done" and others who are probably less hated.

RandallFan
11-07-2014, 09:30 PM
Rand was not well-liked among many of his colleagues at first. Remember McCain disparaging us as "wacko birds?" Or his infamous "Tea Party Hobbits" remark? McConnell fought Rand tooth and claw when he first ran. And with folks like Sean Duffy and Steve King denouncing Cruz in no uncertain terms - along with David Brooks and the rest of the Republican Establishment - I don't feel like this guy is our enemy. Judge Napolitano, the John Birch Society, Pat Buchanan, and other friends of liberty have praised the man. Some people expend more energy on these forums railing against Ted Cruz than they do John Boehner and Mitch McConnell. These people are the real enemies of freedom. Our focus should remain on them.

That's Peter King from New York with the fat head.

Steve King from Iowa is on good terms with RINOs like Christie and conservatives like Rand and Cruz.

philipped
11-07-2014, 11:56 PM
McConnell has to make Harry Reid as former Senate Majority Leader look like the Senate's biggest mess up. If McConnell can be fair, bring substantial legislation to the senate, get a prison reform bill in, NSA reform and maybe 2 more things from Rand it would assist McConnell's argument in retaining Majority leader & would solidify Paul as he should be working across the aisle on at lease half of each and every bill that he would propose to go up for a vote. Very anxious to see how this new Congress is going to work.

DevilsAdvocate
11-08-2014, 01:12 PM
Does anyone else get the significance of this? McConnell OWES him!!! Junior Senator Rand Paul has the Majority Leader in his pocket!!!

Who is going to be driving the debate in Washington? Rand Paul!
Who is going to be intimately involved with the construction of the major bills funneled through the Senate? Rand Paul!

No longer the outsider, he's now got the kings ear!

Krugminator2
11-08-2014, 01:44 PM
Does anyone else get the significance of this? McConnell OWES him!!! Junior Senator Rand Paul has the Majority Leader in his pocket!!!

Who is going to be driving the debate in Washington? Rand Paul!
Who is going to be intimately involved with the construction of the major bills funneled through the Senate? Rand Paul!

No longer the outsider, he's now got the kings ear!

It is big. I'm actually surprised how forceful McConnell was with his support. McConnell had 20 million dollars to spend to beat Bevin. Rand could have supported Bevin and ended his presidential hopes and been a non-player in the Senate. Instead he got huge value picking the guy who had a 100% chance of winning.

McConnell helped get Rand's hemp bill through. He might help get this repatriation done. He put Rand on the foreign policy committee. These are all huge to show Rand has legitimate credentials to be President.

And Rand is going to have to raise $100-$200 million to have a chance in the Republican Primary. That isn't happening through small donations. Having McConnell help with donors is necessary. It is also why it was so critical that Rand supported Romney.

georgiaboy
11-11-2014, 11:01 AM
As long as the incrementalism is swinging in our favor, I'm good.

Rand & Mitch - go get 'em, boys.

philipped
11-11-2014, 01:34 PM
It is big. I'm actually surprised how forceful McConnell was with his support. McConnell had 20 million dollars to spend to beat Bevin. Rand could have supported Bevin and ended his presidential hopes and been a non-player in the Senate. Instead he got huge value picking the guy who had a 100% chance of winning.

McConnell helped get Rand's hemp bill through. He might help get this repatriation done. He put Rand on the foreign policy committee. These are all huge to show Rand has legitimate credentials to be President.

And Rand is going to have to raise $100-$200 million to have a chance in the Republican Primary. That isn't happening through small donations. Having McConnell help with donors is necessary. It is also why it was so critical that Rand supported Romney.

All superb long term calculated and perfectly exectuted moves. Power moves for the feature length film. We all got name slots on the ending credits yo!

#RANDPAUL2016 GET READY GUYS!!!!

Playing this and getting REALLY hyped rn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BF5XeoleOpA