PDA

View Full Version : Police cars that make sure cops don't break the law are coming in 2015

aGameOfThrones
11-06-2014, 07:34 PM
According to at least one study, observing police officers on the job leads to a massive decrease in citizens making brutality complaints. Now that same philosophy is being taken with how officers drive their cars while on the job. Ford, makers of various Police Interceptor models, has developed a system that relays telematics of driver behavior directly back to HQ, presumably for a heavy-set officer to scream at them when they get back. The system, designed in partnership with Telogis, monitors if drivers are flashing their sirens to get through red lights, driving over 110mph and even if they're not wearing a seatbelt. As much as this is designed to protect the public, it's also received acclaim from the police's own memorial charity, since automobile accidents have been the biggest cause of fatalities for the bulk of the last 15 years. According to Autoblog, the LAPD is already considering a purchase, which can only be a good thing, right?

http://www.engadget.com/2014/11/06/ford-police-telematics/

SeanTX
11-06-2014, 07:38 PM
Any data about an officer's bad/illegal driving will most likely be going where most citizen complaint forms go: into the circular folder (trash can/digital bit bucket).

All while they keep up the appearance of caring about such things, of course ...

Christian Liberty
11-06-2014, 07:39 PM
I don't see why that's bad. Make them play by the same rules they make us play by.

presence
11-06-2014, 07:57 PM
By 2020 every cop in the nation will have 5 live feeds on direct hookup to the NSA. Meanwhile noteworthy brutality will conveniently get lost in the Lois Lerner hole.

kcchiefs6465
11-06-2014, 08:11 PM
driving over 110mph and even if they're not wearing a seatbelt.
Lmao.

110 mph? God forbid they drive the 'speed limit' (that is, ten mph under) that they cause people in front of me to [dangerously] slow down to.

And of turning without a signal, reckless operation of a motor vehicle, getting a real goddamn job?

I suppose anything is better than nothing (it might make a few of them quit, one could hope). "110 mph," though, is very telling.

FindLiberty
11-06-2014, 09:03 PM
"Stay under 109 and there is no crime".

Anti Federalist
11-06-2014, 09:17 PM
Lt. Col. Friendly will find a way around it.

But when it becomes required for all us Mundanes, rest assured, we'll be held accountable.

LOL @ the "I've got nothing to hide" crowd.

Christian Liberty
11-06-2014, 09:19 PM
Lt. Col. Friendly will find a way around it.

But when it becomes required for all us Mundanes, rest assured, we'll be held accountable.

LOL @ the "I've got nothing to hide" crowd.

Good point, it will be used on us eventually. That's a problem.

But I'm fine with cops getting a taste of their own medicine, if its possible.

CPUd
11-06-2014, 09:55 PM
I'd rather they drive faster than everyone else. It makes them easier to identify at night.

limequat
11-07-2014, 08:52 AM
Only good things there. Even if HQ does nothing with the data it still can be subpoenaed or FOIA'd.

tod evans
11-07-2014, 09:14 AM
Who pays for this BS?

There's so damn many kops now why are they provided cars in the first place?

Make the fat bastards walk if they've gotta be on the publics payroll.....

economics102
11-07-2014, 02:58 PM
Good point, it will be used on us eventually. That's a problem.

But I'm fine with cops getting a taste of their own medicine, if its possible.

In theory it's already pretty easy to track many speeders -- since the toll booths log cars going from point A to point B, it's very easy math to figure out if the driver's average speed was above the limit.

However, I have yet to hear of the state governments doing this in practice.

navy-vet
11-07-2014, 03:01 PM
Who pays for this BS?

lol
Especially in the city, put em on a beat. They used to be in shape because they were on the walk, and could actually run down a thug now and then. They also were a lot more considerate and respectful acting because on foot, they were more easy to hold accountable.

heavenlyboy34
11-07-2014, 04:03 PM
Who pays for this BS?

That is not considerate of our Guardians, mundane! Reported.

PaulConventionWV
11-07-2014, 04:18 PM
I don't see why that's bad. Make them play by the same rules they make us play by.

Who said it was bad? Just probably not effective.

acptulsa
11-07-2014, 04:18 PM
Make 'em walk?

Hell, let's start small. What say we make 'em change their own flat tires?

Anything up to 109 mph goes where you live?

Damn! Give me a week and I'll be calling you 'neighbor'!

tod evans
11-07-2014, 04:22 PM
Make 'em walk?

Hell, let's start small. What say we make 'em change their own flat tires?

They'd fuck it up and cost the taxpayers even more FRN's....

Drive down the road this weekend and look into kop cars and think if you'd trust the occupant to change your tire.....

acptulsa
11-07-2014, 04:27 PM

Drive down the road this weekend and look into kop cars and think if you'd trust the occupant to change your tire.....

Who said anything about MY tire?!

I'm trying to keep them too busy to endanger my life. Can't keep myself out of the trouble they cause by letting them change MY tire...

tod evans
11-07-2014, 04:30 PM
Who said anything about MY tire?!

I'm trying to keep them too busy to endanger my life. Can't keep myself out of the trouble they cause by letting them change MY tire...

But it is your tire on your car they enjoy driving....

navy-vet
11-07-2014, 04:44 PM

haha yeah, they would end up drawing a big check for life, while they sat on their fat asses at home no doubt....regardless of whose tire they attempted to change.
But, maybe we could compromise, and give them fifty percent of their time on a bicycle and the other half on foot.

navy-vet
11-07-2014, 04:48 PM
Actually, many of them wouldn't survive the week on the street. If their hearts don't get em, then the folks they have pushed around would.

Suzanimal
11-07-2014, 04:51 PM
"The leading cause of death of police officers is crashes," says Gary Oldham, manager of public safety business development for Telogis. And with little more than four of 10 police officers believed to be wearing seat belts on a regular basis while patrolling, "We're losing too many cops where it is preventable."

But the system could be controversial in the rank-and-file, where the system could raise questions about privacy.

The head of the L.A. Police Protective League, which represents the city's officers, says the organization is deeply concerned about officer safety, but doesn't want a system that's intrusive.:rolleyes: It's the kind of issue that will require a meeting with police supervisors, says PPL President Tyler Izen, a detective. "They have a requirement for letting my people know about ramifications," he says.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2014/10/27/ford-telogis/17991301/

idiom
11-09-2014, 01:07 AM
If there was one small thing I would like Rand to slide into some innocuous legislation, it would be a federal law permitting anyone to record *any* government official working in an official capacity.

So much potential for awesome.