PDA

View Full Version : My Prediction

Bodhi
12-03-2007, 03:33 AM
The blimp will not fly. Why? Because the people that are behind it are asking for salaries. True Ron Paul supporters don't ask for compensation let alone a pat on the back.

Tens of thousands of Ron Paul supporters do everything they can on a daily basis never asking for a thing in return. Why? Because they believe in the freedom message and they believe Ron Paul is the only candidate that speaks that message.

Shame on those who would ask money for their "sacrifice" for Ron Paul. What a discredit they do to those that have given so much to this effort.

xexkxex
12-03-2007, 03:40 AM
...well, that didn't help anything or anyone now did it.

Your response to this will fall on deaf ears.

Bodhi
12-03-2007, 03:42 AM
I don't know, it might have helped someone who's dollars would be going towards what is now a for profit company to Ron Paul. I'm sorry you are deaf.

Indy Vidual
12-03-2007, 03:44 AM
...True Ron Paul supporters don't ask for compensation let alone a pat on the back...

1) Many people sell Ron Paul related items
2) This forum has ads
3) I predict you are wrong

4) Ron Paul is glad that in a free market anybody can make money off of the revolution.

Many people are finally ready for real change.

http://www.1life1time.com/images/rp.jpg

Congressman Ron Paul: Archives (http://www.lewrockwell.com/paul/paul-arch.html) (Dr. Ron Paul in his own words and brilliant writings)

Bodhi
12-03-2007, 03:49 AM
2) This forum has ads
3) I predict you are wrong

4) Ron Paul is glad that in a free market anybody can make money off of the revolution.

Many people are finally ready for real change.

http://www.1life1time.com/images/rp.jpg

Congressman Ron Paul: Archives (http://www.lewrockwell.com/paul/paul-arch.html) (Dr. Ron Paul in his own words and brilliant writings)

Thanks for posting, glad you are here. Great picture of Ron Paul!

I may be wrong and I totally think free-markets are great. My only hope is that people that ask for donations on this forum, are asking them in the best interest of Ron Paul. After all, these are the Ron Paul Forums. I would hope that those seeking a profit would look elsewhere. Of course, that is not going to happen. There are people that would be more than happy to ride the Ron Paul gravy train.

vodalian
12-03-2007, 03:50 AM
2) This forum has ads

1) Many people sell ron paul related items? Care to link me with a few which doesn't involve Ron Paul getting a cut?
2) Seriously.. Are you honestly comparing a petty google ad to 1k per week salary? I really hope you're joking.

Mark
12-03-2007, 03:51 AM
I was curious too,

the money collected so far will cover a little over a month's salary for:

8 people at $1000/week

52 weeks x 8000$/week = $416,000

416,000 $ / 12 months = 34,666.66 $/month

$43,750 collected - $34,666 = $8084

so, $43,750 collected is equal to about 1 month plus 1 week salary. 5 weeks = $40,000, so about 5 1/2 weeks salary.

When are salaries going to start being paid?

Abobo
12-03-2007, 03:55 AM
Do you think a project this massive would work without anyone staffing it full time?

And, how do you think people will survive if they are working full time for no pay?

They can not take a pay cut because they have existing responsibilities ( house payments, car payments, family, etc )

Mark
12-03-2007, 03:56 AM
Do you think a project this massive would work without anyone staffing it full time?

And, how do you think people will survive if they are working full time for no pay?

They can not take a pay cut because they have existing responsibilities ( house payments, car payments, family, etc )

When are salaries going to start being paid?

vodalian
12-03-2007, 04:00 AM

Again, that implies that they HAVE to do this. Come back from the twilight zone for a moment, a few months ago, this blimp idea didn't even exist, we were doing just fine and had the same hopeful future. There are millions of ways to help a campaign, pampering people with a bunch of potential campaign/rally money is not one of them. Them not having a full time job as a result of this flawed idea is NOT ron paul supporter's problem, it's theirs for making this unnecessary and wasteful choice. If I was to quit my job today so that I can rally every day for Ron Paul, does this mean you should start paying my bills as well? We can organize that if you want, I could use a vacation.

Maverick
12-03-2007, 04:00 AM
Indy Vidual, may I make a request? Please, no more pictures. I know we all love the good Dr. Paul and everything, but we don't need to see the same pic over and over again in every post. Thanks in advance :)

As for the topic at hand, I see nothing wrong with being capitalist about this. More power to them if they can charge for their services and pull this off. However, I believe they may have some problem doing so, because it appears that too many of their prospective donors have expressed reservations over the current model. So, perhaps they might want to think about changing the current structure if they want to maximize their contributions.

Indy Vidual
12-03-2007, 04:02 AM
Thanks for posting, glad you are here. Great picture of Ron Paul!

I may be wrong and I totally think free-markets are great. My only hope is that people that ask for donations on this forum, are asking them in the best interest of Ron Paul. After all, these are the Ron Paul Forums. I would hope that those seeking a profit would look elsewhere. Of course, that is not going to happen. There are people that would be more than happy to ride the Ron Paul gravy train.

1) Many people sell ron paul related items? Care to link me with a few which doesn't involve Ron Paul getting a cut?
2) Seriously.. Are you honestly comparing a petty google ad to 1k per week salary? I really hope you're joking.

Why would anyone debate against the blimp?

* Do you think other Ron Paul supporters need your help to keep them from being scammed? Do you also support seat belt laws? :p

* What if 100,000's of everyday Americans had a chance to make money by providing (endless) original services to fuel the Revolution? Would this make our grass-roots grow or shrink?

Bodhi
12-03-2007, 04:06 AM

Why would we need to pay for staffing? The cost of the blimp covers the staff to fly it. Companies that have hired these sort of blimps in the past do not pay for 8 or more people to staff it.

If Trever or someone else wants to take a joy ride on the blimp they do not need to be paid for that, there are more than a few people who would do that for free.

Indy Vidual
12-03-2007, 04:08 AM
Indy Vidual, may I make a request? Please, no more pictures. I know we all love the good Dr. Paul and everything, but we don't need to see the same pic over and over again in every post. Thanks in advance :)

When the anti-blimp bots stop creating so many useless threads, I'll consider your request. :)

http://www.1life1time.com/images/mich.jpg

http://www.1life1time.com/images/time.jpg

Abobo
12-03-2007, 04:09 AM
Again, that implies that they HAVE to do this. Come back from the twilight zone for a moment, a few months ago, this blimp idea didn't even exist, we were doing just fine and had the same hopeful future. There are millions of ways to help a campaign, pampering people with a bunch of potential campaign/rally money is not one of them. Them not having a full time job as a result of this flawed idea is NOT ron paul supporter's problem, it's theirs for making this unnecessary and wasteful choice. If I was to quit my job today so that I can rally every day for Ron Paul, does this mean you should start paying my bills as well? We can organize that if you want, I could use a vacation.

I congratulate you on yet another condescending post.

It's economics: Value > Cost

In my opinion I see the value of having the blimp and it's staff as greater than the cost. You obviously don't think it is, but I do.

What is the problem with us each having different views on what is better? Isn't that what freedom is all about?

I have my money and I chose to spend it on a blimp. You have yours to do with as you please.

vodalian
12-03-2007, 04:09 AM
Why would anyone debate against the blimp?

* Do you think other Ron Paul supporters need your help to keep them from being scammed? Do you also support seat belt laws? :p

* What if 100,000's of everyday Americans had a chance to make money by providing (endless) original services to fuel the Revolution? Would this make our grass-roots grow or shrink?

The fact that people may be scammed is not what I'm worried about, I'm worried about what ALL Ron Paul supporters should be worried about (assuming they are really a supporter), and that's Ron Paul.

This may be hard to believe apparently, but paying for rallies and information outlets would be FARR more beneficial than generously paying a company to support Ron Paul since they refuse to do it without being paid.

ChrisV
12-03-2007, 04:10 AM
Well I was a little skeptical at first, but I am impressed with the project coordination and implementation. The salaries seem like they could be a little high, considering all the food and travel is most likely paid for by the company. Either way, I think the organizers and managers need to be compensated to make the project work. If all we need now is donations to get this blimp in the air, then I'm in.

vodalian
12-03-2007, 04:11 AM
I congratulate you on yet another condescending post.

It's economics: Value > Cost

In my opinion I see the value of having the blimp and it's staff as greater than the cost. You obviously don't think it is, but I do.

What is the problem with us each having different views on what is better? Isn't that what freedom is all about?

I have my money and I chose to spend it on a blimp. You have yours to do with as you please.

There's no problem with us having different views or even having a blimp in general. What IS a problem is paying people to support Ron Paul. This money you guys are gladly wasting could be benefiting the campaign through rallies etc, but I guess that's not as 'cool' as a blimp in a youtube music video.

Indy Vidual
12-03-2007, 04:12 AM
...Paul since they refuse to do it without being paid.

What if 100,000's of everyday Americans had a chance to make money by providing (endless) original services to fuel the Revolution? Would this make our grass-roots grow or shrink?

vodalian
12-03-2007, 04:13 AM
Either way, I think the organizers and managers need to be compensated to make the project work. If all we need now is donations to get this blimp in the air, then I'm in.

So will you start paying all activists who spend their own time and money supporting Ron Paul? Or does this just apply to certain people?

BrianK
12-03-2007, 04:14 AM
I was initially uncomfortable with the change in direction of this thing too. Think about it though, its an LLC now. Their pay is depending on this being a success. The moment you can make money off something is the moment it really starts to grow. This is yet another paradigm shift in US politics brought about by this campaign. I guarantee if it's a success like Nov 5th it was also be copycatted, maybe not specifically the blimp, but a for-profit advertising company for a specific candidate. It really is legal acrobatics at it's finest. I would say that while technically legal it does go against the goal of Campaign Finance laws, but hey we are at the moment still far out-gunned by the entrenched establishment so lets out-think them.

Maverick
12-03-2007, 04:15 AM

I think that's what everyone is trying to tell you. The free market will decide this issue. Apparently you feel that the blimp organizers should be compensated handsomely for their efforts, and you choose to fund that. That's fantastic. However, many others (myself included) do not seem to share that sentiment. So I fear that the donations may not reach their full potential until the issues addressed have been worked out to a satisfactory agreement.

Indy Vidual
12-03-2007, 04:16 AM
So will you start paying all activists who spend their own time and money supporting Ron Paul? Or does this just apply to certain people?

In a free market it applies to everyone who successfully attempts to sell goods and services. Volunteers do not expect to be paid; Some people with experience, connections, and original ideas, will be able to make a profit.

This is why it's called freedom.

vodalian
12-03-2007, 04:19 AM
What if 100,000's of everyday Americans had a chance to make money by providing (endless) original services to fuel the Revolution? Would this make our grass-roots grow or shrink?

Sorry, I'm not used to associating grass roots with being paid. But I'll answer your question anyhow, if people need to be paid to be here then they are not activists, they are employees. We could also probably make this movement grow by getting some big businesses on board with us as well for some nice figures, should we stop holding rallies and donating and start paying people to pretend to agree with us?

Abobo
12-03-2007, 04:19 AM
There's no problem with us having different views or even having a blimp in general. What IS a problem is paying people to support Ron Paul. This money you guys are gladly wasting could be benefiting the campaign through rallies etc, but I guess that's not as 'cool' as a blimp in a youtube music video.

WOW. You really are an ass. I tried ignoring you're condescending remarks and offering peace. I was hoping we could just each have separate views. But no. You had to just keep piling on the crap.

So let me get this straight.

You believe it is aligned with Ron Paul's principles to tell me how to spend my money?

Freedom brings people together. If you don't like the project create your own. If you don't like people making money create an alternative. But don't try to dictate how others should spend their money or how their projects should be done.

Indy Vidual
12-03-2007, 04:21 AM
...The moment you can make money off something is the moment it really starts to grow....

Exactly :)

````````````

BTW, Do you want to see Halliburton continue to make billions?

http://www.1life1time.com/images/cheney1.jpg

vodalian
12-03-2007, 04:22 AM
In a free market it applies to everyone who successfully attempts to sell goods and services. Volunteers do not expect to be paid; Some people with experience, connections, and original ideas, will be able to make a profit.

This is why it's called freedom.

I never said they are not legally entitled to profit from what they want, there's a big difference between what is legal and what is right. People always find ways to profit from grass roots movement, this isn't exactly new, but when you start taking money from people to do the very things that most people do for free, expect people to start asking questions, that's why it's called freedom.

vodalian
12-03-2007, 04:23 AM
WOW. You really are an ass. I tried ignoring you're condescending remarks and offering peace. I was hoping we could just each have separate views. But no. You had to just keep piling on the crap.

Freedom brings people together. If you don't like the project create your own. If you don't like people making money create an alternative. But don't try to dictate how others should spend their money or how their projects should be done.

Wait, first you mention freedom, and in the same paragraph, you tell me what I can and cannot say? Call me an ass all you want, history has shown that such last resort debate tactics never succeed. :)

Abobo
12-03-2007, 04:24 AM
Wait, first you mention freedom, and in the same paragraph, you tell me what I can and cannot say? Call me an ass all you want, history has shown that such last resort tactics never win. :)

No one is saying you CAN'T say it. That doesn't mean you should.

vodalian
12-03-2007, 04:26 AM

So let me get this straight.

You believe it is aligned with Ron Paul's principles to tell me how to spend my money?

No one is saying you CAN'T say it. That doesn't mean you should.

Right, and noone is saying that you CAN'T direct money from a grass-roots movement to live off of, but that doesn't mean you should.

Bodhi
12-03-2007, 04:26 AM
I was initially uncomfortable with the change in direction of this thing too. Think about it though, its an LLC now. Their pay is depending on this being a success. The moment you can make money off something is the moment it really starts to grow. This is yet another paradigm shift in US politics brought about by this campaign. I guarantee if it's a success like Nov 5th it was also be copycatted, maybe not specifically the blimp, but a for-profit advertising company for a specific candidate. It really is legal acrobatics at it's finest. I would say that while technically legal it does go against the goal of Campaign Finance laws, but hey we are at the moment still far out-gunned by the entrenched establishment so lets out-think them.

Welcome to the forums. Thanks for the post, but you seem to advocating profiteering from the Ron Paul revolution.

[QUOTE=BrianK;518347] Think about it though, its an LLC now. Their pay is depending on this being a success. The moment you can make money off something is the moment it really starts to grow. [QUOTE]

Maybe you can come up with another idea on how to make money for yourself to help this effort grow. Imagine how fast we will grow because you are making money from it. We need more people like you showing us how making money off of the freedom message is super cool!!!!

Maverick
12-03-2007, 04:28 AM
Ok, I'll say this one more time (it seems to keep getting passed over here):

Bottom line: There is nothing wrong with being capitalist about this. However, it doesn't mean people will still support it. So don't be surprised if it comes up short.

It's like opening a bakery and charging $1,000 a bagel. You'd certainly be within your rights to do so. Just don't be surprised if nobody shows up.

Abobo
12-03-2007, 04:30 AM
Right, and noone is saying that you CAN'T direct money from a grass-roots movement to live off of, but that doesn't mean you should.

Actually you're trying to shut down the project. So yes you are trying to make it so I can not use my money as I wish. Also, I don't have a problem with us both co-existing, but you seem to want everyone to agree with you.

You don't support it. We get it. Can't you just stop posting?

By your continued attempts to derail the project you're preventing those of us who support this to do any sort of planning, organizing, or sharing of ideas.

~River~
12-03-2007, 04:31 AM
Nobody is telling anyone how to spend their money, only pointing out the fact that this idea has turned into a huge wasteful project and that there are those trying to profit from something that is supposed to be grassroots. If your belief is that there should be a separate, for profit, advertising company where 8 people are paid hansomly to hire a blimp then by all means that's your freedom of choice.
the truth is that to hire a blimp really does not require all of that. It requires the money to pay the company who will fly the blimp and for somone to tell it where to fly and what message should be printed on it, the rest can all be handled by volunteers of which there are many who would step up to the plate.

Bodhi
12-03-2007, 04:33 AM
Ok, I'll say this one more time (it seems to keep getting passed over here):

Bottom line: There is nothing wrong with being capitalist about this. However, it doesn't mean people will still support it. So don't be surprised if it comes up short.

It's like opening a bakery and charging $1,000 a bagel. You'd certainly be within your rights to do so. Just don't be surprised if nobody shows up.

I like capitalism as much as the next guy and so does Ron Paul. As much as I love capitalism there is a bit of tendancy for FRAUD and I think we might be seeing a bit of it here.

Abobo
12-03-2007, 04:35 AM
Nobody is telling anyone how to spend their money, only pointing out the fact that this idea has turned into a huge wasteful project and that there are those trying to profit from something that is supposed to be grassroots. If your belief is that there should be a separate, for profit, advertising company where 8 people are paid hansomly to hire a blimp then by all means that's your freedom of choice.
the truth is that to hire a blimp really does not require all of that. It requires the money to pay the company who will fly the blimp and for somone to tell it where to fly and what message should be printed on it, the rest can all be handled by volunteers of which there are many who would step up to the plate.

OK. Thank you. Point received. I'll be waiting for your project with no over-head costs. When you have it done I'll donate. Until then please stop trying to derail the existing project.

steph3n
12-03-2007, 04:36 AM
The blimp will not fly. Why? Because the people that are behind it are asking for salaries. True Ron Paul supporters don't ask for compensation let alone a pat on the back.

Tens of thousands of Ron Paul supporters do everything they can on a daily basis never asking for a thing in return. Why? Because they believe in the freedom message and they believe Ron Paul is the only candidate that speaks that message.

Shame on those who would ask money for their "sacrifice" for Ron Paul. What a discredit they do to those that have given so much to this effort.

I'd just ask you to check any other PAC getting over 300k in income that has no salaries, I'd bet you won't be too successful.

vodalian
12-03-2007, 04:40 AM
Actually you're trying to shut down the project. So yes you are trying to make it so I can not use my money as I wish. Also, I don't have a problem with us both co-existing, but you seem to want everyone to agree with you.

You don't support it. We get it. Can't you just stop posting?

By your continued attempts to derail the project you're preventing those of us who support this to do any sort of planning, organizing, or sharing of ideas.

Derailing? Did you even read the original post?

Seriously, if my few relevant replies in a thread which was created to challenge this project have caused you guys to not be able to plan or organize, I think the problem lies with you guys, not with me.

~River~
12-03-2007, 04:42 AM
OK. Thank you. Point received. I'll be waiting for your project with no over-head costs. When you have it done I'll donate. Until then please stop trying to derail the existing project.

There are many things that have been done without cost. People send out stickers at cost (zero profit) People have designed and printed T-shirts at cost. If what you are describing as overhead is the actual cost of operating the blimp then I agree with you. Nothing is free of cost when it comes to a service or product and I was all for the blimp until it became a for profit effort. I would also like to point out that for profit goes above and beyond the salaries they are requesting, they are also looking to make a profit above that. I am not saying that it won't cost anyhting to fly a blimp but they do not need a LLC and 8 salaries to hire a blimp, that is just rediculous.

Abobo
12-03-2007, 04:44 AM

Seriously, if my few relevant replies in a thread which was created to challenge this project have caused you guys to not be able to plan or organize, I think the problem lies with you guys, not with me.

I'm referring to all anti-current-project posters -- not just you. Not a single post, or thread, can be made about the blimp without it being flooded with negative posts.

And, I love how you always manage to work in some kind of personal insult. You're really very skilled at it.

Bodhi

Nothing against you but this is a grassroots campaign. We don't have "over-head" costs because we have supporters who are willing to support Ron Paul for free. We may have to pay to get our ad out, but we don't have to pay for people to make that ad.

Maverick

I like your suggestion. However, I don't think we need a second blimp project. We just need this project to reconsider its expenditure model. For mutual benefit. To reassure the potential donors, and to insure that the magnificent blimp can be underway with all due speed.

Abobo
12-03-2007, 04:46 AM
There are many things that have been done without cost. People send out stickers at cost (zero profit) People have designed and printed T-shirts at cost. If what you are describing as overhead is the actual cost of operating the blimp then I agree with you. Nothing is free of cost when it comes to a service or product and I was all for the blimp until it became a for profit effort. I would also like to point out that for profit goes above and beyond the salaries they are requesting, they are also looking to make a profit above that. I am not saying that it won't cost anyhting to fly a blimp but they do not need a LLC and 8 salaries to hire a blimp, that is just rediculous.

Yes, I know what you were talking about. But if you feel it is ridiculous then please create a better one. I'm tired of all the complaining about the existing one. If you feel you can do a better job please do it. When you've got it up and running please let me know.

vodalian
12-03-2007, 04:47 AM
Don't like halliburton's profiteering? Make your own energy company then!

Maverick
12-03-2007, 04:48 AM
When you've got it up and running please let me know.

When this one is up and running, let me know.

ctb619
12-03-2007, 04:50 AM

Yes, because they got the no bid contracts in Iraq simply because they are a very capable and efficient company -- everything was legitimate and aboveboard.

Abobo
12-03-2007, 04:50 AM

Listen. If you think this project can be done without the lawyers and the full time staff then please create an alternative. The people who tried creating it seem to think it can't be done by pure grassroots and that it needs a full time staff.

If you think that is wrong then please try doing it yourself.

Bodhi
12-03-2007, 04:51 AM
Yes, I know what you were talking about. But if you feel it is ridiculous then please create a better one. I'm tired of all the complaining about the existing one. If you feel you can do a better job please do it. When you've got it up and running please let me know.

It is more than easy to ask for money on these forums. Those that want to make a profit from it do not get my vote.

OferNave
12-03-2007, 04:51 AM
Hey - a blimp project representative has started a thread, and is answering all questions:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=46258

BrianK
12-03-2007, 04:52 AM

I disagree with you on thinking this a bad idea but, those of us that are for this blimp need to remember that there is nothing wrong with accountability. Please understand though that this project, if it gets off the ground, will probably have just barely made it fundraising-wise. Even if you don't think they should get the salaries for what they are doing, which I admit is a valid point of view, don't you want to see the blimp go up. The media knows about this, if we fail to get it up there, its 1 more bullet for the MSM to fire at us.
The only ones who will get paid if it does not go up are the lawyers. Everyone else gets paid with whats left after they manage to get it up. Really think about it. Is that really a deal-breaker for you. I'm not asking you to stop posting your concerns. That goes counter to the entire notion of this movement, just asking you to give it a second thought

Indy Vidual
12-03-2007, 04:54 AM
There is a strong demand in the marketplace for everything related to Ron Paul.
Profit-making ventures can boost the grass-roots, more $$$$$ will come in.

Bodhi
12-03-2007, 04:56 AM
I disagree with you on thinking this a bad idea but, those of us that are for this blimp need to remember that there is nothing wrong with accountability. Please understand though that this project, if it gets off the ground, will probably have just barely made it fundraising-wise. Even if you don't think they should get the salaries for what they are doing, which I admit is a valid point of view, don't you want to see the blimp go up. The media knows about this, if we fail to get it up there, its 1 more bullet for the MSM to fire at us.
The only ones who will get paid if it does not go up are the lawyers. Everyone else gets paid with whats left after they manage to get it up. Really think about it. Is that really a deal-breaker for you. I'm not asking you to stop posting your concerns. That goes counter to the entire notion of this movement, just asking you to give it a second thought

Welcome brand new member, glad to have you here. I think if the blimp could go up at cost, there would be a surge in donations. However, this has turned into a for profit enterprise and most people won't go for that in my opinion.

Indy Vidual
12-03-2007, 05:01 AM
You make some very good points about saving money.

We've been told they got 'a discount' on the blimp rental charges.
Does anyone have an idea how much was saved, has that been discussed?

vodalian
12-03-2007, 05:02 AM
There is a strong demand in the marketplace for everything related to Ron Paul.
Profit-making ventures can boost the grass-roots, more $$$$$ will come in.

How will paying people large chunks of money to support Ron Paul result in MORE money? They aren't selling Ron Paul statues, they are taking money from a pot that would normally go into rallies and activism and putting it in their pocket. A lot of people agreed to donate before they even knew where there money was going. If it was just the regular expenses with a bit of cash on the side for the trip, it would be one thing, but paying all of these people 1k per week out of the money that would normally go into activism is messed up and should be challenged until the end. We aren't talking about a few dollars here and there, we are talking about LARGE chunks of cash that is now no longer going to the campaign/rallies. Any real supporter should be concerned about this.

BrianK
12-03-2007, 05:02 AM
Welcome brand new member, glad to have you here. I think if the blimp could go up at cost, there would be a surge in donations. However, this has turned into a for profit enterprise and most people won't go for that in my opinion.

You're absolutely correct that it will be harder to get money for this in it's current form. Nobody is debating that fact. I still want it up there.

Bodhi
12-03-2007, 05:09 AM
You're absolutely correct that it will be harder to get money for this in it's current form. Nobody is debating that fact. I still want it up there.

There are a ton of people that want to see it up there, but I think many of them are like me. I would be more than happy to send that blimp up, but I sure as heck am not going to pay anyone a salary to do it.

Indy Vidual
12-03-2007, 05:12 AM
How will paying people large chunks of money to support Ron Paul result in MORE money?...

The biggest donations will (logically) come from people who are maxed out from giving to HQ.
``````````

Remember, remember the 5th of Nov?
We got millions in free advertising, and over 22,000 NEW donors.
People saw Ron on TV, were amazed about the $4.3 Million, and some came here to volunteer.

Edit:
When main street can make money of off the movement, then the movement will become mainstream.

//This (above) might be a 100% original statement; I don't recall hearing it before.
Has anyone else ever heard it before?

vodalian
12-03-2007, 05:21 AM
The biggest donations will (logically) come from people who are maxed out from giving to HQ.

Yeah, and it's a shame really. It's sad to see that people have run out of ideas to the point where they are willing to just starting paying 4k per month salaries to random people in forums and over $100-$500 per hour for lawyers instead of spending that very money on Ron Paul rallies, flyers etc.

Abobo
12-03-2007, 05:30 AM
Yeah, and it's a shame really. It's sad to see that people have run out of ideas to the point where they are willing to just starting paying 4k per month salaries to random people in forums and over $100-$500 per hour for lawyers instead of spending that very money on Ron Paul rallies, flyers etc.

It's because we believe the value of the blimp and staff is greater than the cost.

Value > Cost

I, and I think most others who donated, believe that the value of the people in the cities seeing the blimp plus the MSM attention will be greater than the cost of the blimp. All these people seeing and talking about it will be greater than TV or radio ads. Or at least that is what I think.

Maybe they can cut a few thousand here or there. But in the end this is an extremely big project and we can't expect it to be perfect optimized right out of the gate. The value of having the blimp is still greater than the extra money.

Constantinople
12-03-2007, 05:33 AM
I agree with Bodhi and vodalian and the rest. Although I am not maxed out with the campaign, I will likely be on 16 Dec. After that I was considering donating to the Blimp. I will not be doing that now.

I support Free Markets and all but what would I really get for my investment? Ron Paul Blimp Co. cannot guarantee a return on my money--i.e., Paul's victory or even that my advertising time would reach the market, for instance if your paid time is used in transit over the countryside.

Compare this to Lyman & Co.'s return...1K salaries everyweek! I only make half of that...and successful moneymaking venture irregardless of the outcome of the election.

If Trevor Lyman & Co. believe there is a market for the blimp, they should be taking out a LOAN for the startup costs. Then the market can decide and they can bear the costs for failure and the benefits of success without relying on other people's money.

Only a LOAN in their own name will keep them honest.

I believe in the free market but that doesn't mean I should feel compelled to DONATE to another man's personal money making ventures. Nor should anyone.

The money can be better spent in ways where the whole sum goes toward Ron Paul & the campaign. For instance the money raised could put a full page ad in USA today every week this month.

vodalian
12-03-2007, 05:37 AM
It's because we believe the value of the blimp and staff is greater than the cost.

Value > Cost

I, and I think most others who donated, believe that the value of the people in the cities seeing the blimp plus the MSM attention will be greater than the cost of the blimp. All these people seeing and talking about it will be greater than TV or radio ads. Or at least that is what I think.

So you think paying for a blimp, combined with over 8k per month salaries + 3 figure hourly lawyer fees + 30+ Ron Paul jackets for people inside a blimp + food + board + gas + 150 per month hosting (lol!!) + cameras etc will be more effective than spending that money on rallies and activism tools?

I would really suggest reading some Ron Paul articles about unneeded wasteful spending.

Bodhi
12-03-2007, 05:40 AM
So you think paying for a blimp, combined with over 8k per month salaries + 3 figure hourly lawyer fees + 30+ Ron Paul jackets for people inside a blimp + food + board + gas + 150 per month hosting (lol!!) etc will be more effective than spending that money on rallies and activism tools?

I'm sure that money is better spent on all of that rather than getting delegates. Who needs delegates when you have a paid staff riding around in a blimp?

Abobo
12-03-2007, 05:43 AM
So you think paying for a blimp, combined with over 8k per month salaries + 3 figure hourly lawyer fees + 30+ Ron Paul jackets for people inside a blimp + food + board + gas + 150 per month hosting (lol!!) etc will be more effective than spending that money on rallies and activism tools?

Yes, I believe blimps are very effective advertising tools. The costs connected to the staff, even if some aren't "needed" are relativity small compared to the cost of the overall project.

Also, the they have stated that the staff isn't going to take pay if the blimp doesn't get off of the ground. When it's off the ground we'll see if it seems to be having an impact. If it does we can donate again and keep it up for another month.

EDIT:
Note: $150 hosting is standard for a dedicated server. I have one that costs over $1.5K per month