PDA

View Full Version : Police allow car break-ins to become a Seattle growth industry

phill4paul
11-06-2014, 06:11 AM
My advise Danny Westneat? Leave the baseball bat at home and start carrying a gun.

What I learned last weekend: If your car gets broken into, there’s probably no point in calling the police because they won’t do anything.

This turns out to be true even if you direct police to the thieves’ van, with the perpetrators sitting in it holding your stolen stuff in plain view. The police will tell you to forget it, and call your insurance instead.

Last weekend I was at my son’s soccer game at Woodland Park in Seattle. It was pouring, so we foolishly left a purse in the car. Someone smashed the driver’s side window and snatched the purse.

Because nobody saw the crime, the police told us just to file a report online.

When I got home, my kids, savvier navigators of the modern world than I am, had already tracked the thieves down using the GPS locator of an iPhone inside the stolen purse.

“They’re at a 7-Eleven on Aurora,” my daughter announced triumphantly.

So it was that last Saturday night I found myself slouched in a car in a parking lot on Aurora, eyeing my fellow Seattleites through the fogged windows. Which one of you stole my stuff? I figured there’d be clues, like a rundown car or someone acting shifty. But nobody looked like thieves. After a while, everybody did.

When the silver minivan parked next to us drove off, we could see our iPhone moving down the street on the Find My iPhone app. So we followed it to another parking lot, and again called the police.

We reported the make and model, the license plate and the location. But the dispatcher was dismissive. Go home and file an insurance claim, she said.

One purse with 80 bucks cash and an iPhone hardly rates an all-points bulletin. But when you’ve got the thieves trapped, the police still won’t come? The dispatcher said she would try.

So we sat there, waiting, watching the van from a distance. After an hour, I got frustrated and called the stolen phone. No answer, but the van drove off. So we gave chase again.

This time the dispatcher was furious. Not with the thieves or the police who never come. With us.

“Stop following them!” she ordered. “Pull over immediately. You’re going to get yourselves shot.”

(Wonder what would have happened if he replied "If you don't send a cop I may be the one doing the shooting?" Of course we know the answer to this one. SMDH. p4p)

This sounded ominous, plus she refused to send a squad car except to a fixed address. So I let my stolen stuff go. Eventually an officer did come (probably because the dispatcher told him we were nuts). He was sympathetic, but when I showed him where the thieves had gone — to the Fred Meyer parking lot in Greenwood — he said he couldn’t do much.

How about you go up to the minivan, do a knock and talk, and I’ll set off the iPhone alarm, I suggested. He said I couldn’t come along due to liability — and he wouldn’t take my phone to set off the alarm himself.

Later he called and said he hadn’t seen the van. So we drove to the Fred Meyer parking lot, and sure enough, there was the van. The thieves now knew we were following them — because one held our iPhone up to us and shook it, as if to say, “Here it is, come and get it!”

I didn’t know whether to laugh or pull out a baseball bat. Fortunately for me, I did not bring a baseball bat. It was midnight. We drove home and seethed. The signal from the stolen iPhone had gone dead.

(Unfortunately, you didn't arm yourself and do what good citizens are supposed to do. Congratulations. You've probably allowed these thieves to strike again. p4p)

The next day when I called some glass-repair companies, no one blinked at this story. Happens every day, they said. Police never do anything. In fact, some thieves want you to track them, so they can try to sell your stolen stuff back to you. That’s how confident they are the police are no threat.

So the whole time we thought we were chasing, we were being lured.

There’s a silver lining, my glass repairman said. The glass-repair business is booming.

In the past two weeks, there were an astonishing 426 smash-and-grabs reported in Seattle. A few years back, we did a front-page story about how car prowls had become the city’s top crime, with 370 in a two-week period. My thieves — unlike me — are working in a growth industry.

Seattle police, I get that this is petty crime. It’s on me for leaving stuff in the car. There also was no proof who did the smash-and-grab, so even if you had come, it would have been tricky to charge them with anything.

But it doesn’t take a detective to see how punting an entire crime category over to the insurance industry could cause these types of nuisance crimes to spiral out of control. One warning sign: In Seattle, the more serious car thefts are up a whopping 44 percent this year versus last.

Can we at least start making these thieves feel a little heat? Especially when they’re served right up for you in a silver minivan?

Because I saw it with my own eyes out in that Fred Meyer parking lot: Right now, they’re just laughing at us.

(I know I am. p4p)

http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2024924914_westneat02xml.html

specsaregood
11-06-2014, 06:22 AM
I wonder if Mr. Westneat ever felt like less of a man in his entire life.

phill4paul
11-06-2014, 06:35 AM

Yeah, here is a hint for him...it's not the police allowing car break-ins to become a growth industry. It's namby-pamby jack wagons like himself that piss themselves when they have the thieves within sight and mocking them. I'd love it if a thief called me up asking to sell a stolen item back to me. SMDH.

tod evans
11-06-2014, 06:42 AM

He needs to feel like less of a man!

Drag the punks out of their car and beat their asses or die trying.

This idea that calling the kops is any way to achieve justice is so friggin' naive it's pathetic...

If you're not a big enough person to protect yourself then either go armed or bring a friend.

Contrary to what's written on their cars kops only function is to garner income and headlines for the "Just-Us" department.

specsaregood
11-06-2014, 06:48 AM
another thought:

How about you go up to the minivan, do a knock and talk, and I’ll set off the iPhone alarm, I suggested. He said I couldn’t come along due to liability — and he wouldn’t take my phone to set off the alarm himself.

Later he called and said he hadn’t seen the van. So we drove to the Fred Meyer parking lot, and sure enough, there was the van. The thieves now knew we were following them — because one held our iPhone up to us and shook it, as if to say, “Here it is, come and get it!”

And maybe he now knew you were following them because the cop had come by and told him so.

KCIndy
11-06-2014, 08:31 AM
The next day when I called some glass-repair companies, no one blinked at this story. Happens every day, they said. Police never do anything. In fact, some thieves want you to track them, so they can try to sell your stolen stuff back to you. That’s how confident they are the police are no threat.

So the whole time we thought we were chasing, we were being lured.

Huh. Dumbass thieves. Dark parking lots work in my favor. I would happily arrange a trade - they can each have a couple of hollow point slugs in exchange for my stuff.

Hypothetically, of course. ;)

One would think that 426 "smash and grabs" would equal at least one corpse or a few punks in Intensive Care at the local hospital... but...

Welcome to Wussy America.

Spikender
11-06-2014, 08:44 AM
Holy shit. Please continue to call this man a pussy and less than a man because he is. He seriously pulled up and watched some thieves wave his iPhone at them? Arm yourself, put a gun in your wife's hand, and take back what they stole from you.

This man is a helpless fool who is turning to the Government to solve a problem he should take care of himself, especially since he knew exactly where the thieves were.

specsaregood
11-06-2014, 08:57 AM
//

ghengis86
11-06-2014, 09:05 AM
You are all ready to kill some punks for a phone?!? I don't care if its right or wrong, in Wussy America, the typical DA and a jury of your "peers" will string you up for going out of your way to plot your revenge killing over a phone.

My advice; get creative. Keep your piece under your shirt in an IWB holster. Remove tire iron from trunk as well as a screw driver or perhaps the collapsible knife you should be carrying anyhow. Walk up to the perps vehicle and let some air out if the tires. If they come out, before, during or after, have them set your property on the ground and get back into the vehicle so you can retrieve. If they don't comply, you have a tire iron to use. If they threaten you, now you have cause to use force.

Or break a window or two.

Or, just t-bone their vehicle because your foot slipped from the brake to the gas pedal.

Or pull up with your passenger side right up next to their drivers door. Now the driver can't get out

Have fun with it! But don't just pull out your gun and waste perfectly good hollow points, unless you're in imminent danger of life or bodily harm.

Spikender
11-06-2014, 09:21 AM
Now personally, I intentionally left off the word pussy or name calling. It isn't really his fault, he handled things just the way that society has taught him they are supposed to be handled. It sounds like it was a learning experience. I won't fault him for not knowing better; but next time he will have no such excuse.

If a man is taught to be a pussy by society then he is still a pussy. Didn't say it was his own fault he was a pussy, so I'd say it's a fair point.

You are all ready to kill some punks for a phone?!? I don't care if its right or wrong, in Wussy America, the typical DA and a jury of your "peers" will string you up for going out of your way to plot your revenge killing over a phone.

My advice; get creative. Keep your piece under your shirt in an IWB holster. Remove tire iron from trunk as well as a screw driver or perhaps the collapsible knife you should be carrying anyhow. Walk up to the perps vehicle and let some air out if the tires. If they come out, before, during or after, have them set your property on the ground and get back into the vehicle so you can retrieve. If they don't comply, you have a tire iron to use. If they threaten you, now you have cause to use force.

Or, just t-bone their vehicle because your foot slipped from the brake to the gas pedal.

Or pull up with your passenger side right up next to their drivers door. Now the driver can't get out

Have fun with it! But don't just pull out your gun and waste perfectly good hollow points, unless you're in imminent danger of life or bodily harm.

Or I could threaten them with a gun instead of wasting all that time getting a phone back. To be honest, my first option would just be a confrontation without weapons unless from prior knowledge or from sizing up the thieves I believe them to be armed. Then there might be weapons and backup on the way to help me out.

Kotin
11-06-2014, 10:40 AM
Abolish police. They are here to enforce corporate and special interests laws and control the homeless.. That's it.. they have no obligation to help you and have incentive to do the opposite.. Cops have become cattle ranchers.

ravedown
11-06-2014, 10:40 AM
my first question is how do the cops benefit from investigating? their primary concern is how to generate revenue and justify their existence. following perps around parking lots at night takes away precious time from collecting income.

RM918
11-06-2014, 11:09 AM
It's ridiculous to call this guy a pussy for what he did, everybody here is keenly aware of what will happen to him if he brandishes a weapon like that in Seattle.

bunklocoempire
11-06-2014, 11:12 AM
It's not just the scum who took his wife's purse that Westneat is up against (whether he knows it or not). This fellow (anyone) is up against the thieves and the gang at the thieves disposal -the police and state.

By all means, be your own police force, but you had better be clever about it. Thieves use other thieves to get what they want and to protect their interests.

**** the police. Support a local motorcycle club that you trust and is accountable.

oyarde
11-06-2014, 11:36 AM
I am good .I have no I phone , purse.I do have lots of 00 Buck though .

seapilot
11-06-2014, 04:53 PM
It's ridiculous to call this guy a pussy for what he did, everybody here is keenly aware of what will happen to him if he brandishes a weapon like that in Seattle.

End up in jail or worse.

Best thing the guy could have did was wait till they left the vehicle and stole his items back. I doubt they would report him, but then again it is in Seattle.

dannno
11-06-2014, 05:02 PM
Wow if that isn't a whole new twist on the broken window fallacy I don't know what is.

jjdoyle
11-06-2014, 05:19 PM
It's not what you say, it's how you say it:
"My vehicle was broken into tonight, and I had items stolen. I believe I have located the thieves, but I believe they may be armed and they may be dangerous to approach. They appeared to have flashed a weapon at me, or maybe a phone, and are wearing what I think looks like an Eric Frein mask!"

Then, just sit by and watch as the thieves' vehicle gets steamrolled by one of the SWAT vehicles.

phill4paul
11-06-2014, 05:22 PM
Seattle cops....

Aiding and abetting, accessory after the fact.

Brian4Liberty
11-06-2014, 05:35 PM
my first question is how do the cops benefit from investigating? their primary concern is how to generate revenue and justify their existence. following perps around parking lots at night takes away precious time from collecting income.

That's it. If it doesn't produce revenue or an opportunity to shoot something, it's your problem. Why would these people think that the Police are supposed to help them?

Brian4Liberty
11-06-2014, 05:36 PM
"My vehicle was broken into tonight, and I had items stolen. I believe I have located the thieves, but I believe they may be armed and they may be dangerous to approach. They appeared to have flashed a weapon at me, or maybe a phone, and are wearing what I think looks like an Eric Frein mask!"

Then, just sit by and watch as the thieves' vehicle gets steamrolled by one of the SWAT vehicles.

An opportunity to draw weapons? Now there's something exciting...

jjdoyle
11-06-2014, 05:36 PM
That's it. If it doesn't produce revenue or an opportunity to shoot something, it's your problem. Why would these people think that the Police are supposed to help them?

See my post (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?462591-Police-allow-car-break-ins-to-become-a-Seattle-growth-industry&p=5693485&viewfull=1#post5693485) for future solutions to this "problem".

*Edit: You saw my post! Exactly. The police are trigger happy, and like to play Halloween dress up whenever they can. They don't need MUCH of a reason to do so, just knowing what to say will help them be happy doing so, and give you the results you need.

surf
11-06-2014, 05:56 PM
i'm not going to bash mr. westneat for not woopin' some ass. what he has done, however, is very important. read the comments
Olympiaguy Featured
6 days ago

It makes me wonder what we pay the police for. Mr. Westneat did everything for the police except make the arrest. He did all the investigative work, tracked the phone, followed the thieves, and all to no avail.

One thing I will take issue with though. Mr. Westneat, this isn't on you for leaving your stuff in the car. Smash and grabs are crimes and they are the fault of the perpetrator, not the victim.

Is there any chance the Seattle Times will assign a reporter to this, maybe do a series? Maybe the police will start taking their jobs seriously if they are embarrassed by enough stories like this.

118bernankesanidiotSeattleCondoSales2muchuser86891 4UnlikeReply

ClydeCoulter
11-06-2014, 06:09 PM
i'm not going to bash mr. westneat for not woopin' some ass. what he has done, however, is very important. read the comments

Where's the button to submit a +rep on the dialog for it? I wanted to rep you for posting that! :mad:

jjdoyle
11-06-2014, 06:16 PM

He WROTE harder, and is trying to get some change through this.
Clearly voting harder wouldn't have solved this, as it's spread throughout the system, as evidenced and starting with the 911 dispatcher.

JK/SEA
11-06-2014, 06:43 PM
north Seattle. This is where i grew up.

When i got my first car, a 65 Mustang, i kept a tire iron under the front seat.

This was way before i got my first gun. A .38 S&W

SeanTX
11-06-2014, 06:48 PM

Or you could just say they had a small dog with them, and it growled at you or pooped on your lawn, and the MRAP would soon be on the way, filled with SWAT operators ready to deal out some death and destruction (almost certainly for the dog, and , God willing, for one or more two-legged animals too).

Or, in Fullerton, CA you could be the owner of a bar (like The SlideBar) and lie and claim that some "bum" was out in your parking lot "lifting door handles", and a gang of police would very quickly arrive and happily beat him to death (yes, as we all know, "Kelly Thomas did it to himself.")

thoughtomator
11-06-2014, 07:12 PM
Solving the problem with a gun is stupid when it is so much safer to just rig the van to explode.

surf
11-06-2014, 07:18 PM
one of the saddest aspects of this is that it seemingly contradicts claims by the pro-pot-legalization folks (myself included) that resources will be freed up to allow cops to actually go after real criminals....

for the most part, unless your just smoking a bowl, Seattle cops suck

Occam's Banana
11-07-2014, 05:30 AM
I don't blame this guy for not directly confronting the thieves. That's an entirely subjective "cost-benefit" thing - and mileages will vary.

Seattle police, I get that this is petty crime. It’s on me for leaving stuff in the car.

But I DO blame him for "taking the blame" for making the crime possible in the first place.
By that logic, everyone who is the victim of a crime should blame themselves for it.

But even worse than that, he excuses the failure of the cops to do anything (due to the relative "pettiness" of the crime). If there had been no way of knowing who committed the crime or who was in possession of the stolen property - and no realistic prospect of ever discovering those things (which is often the case in these kinds of "smash and grab" situations) - then the cops could reasonably be excused for not "red balling" the affair.

But that is NOT the case here. They KNEW where (at least some of) the stolen property was and the police STILL refused to do anything about it. This guy cuts the balls off his own story by blaming himself and then making excuses for the cops not doing their (alleged) jobs.

In the face of this little bit of first-hand evidence that police do NOT "protect and serve" (and that they have NO obligation to do so), this guy just says "my bad" and "no big deal." But if that's the attitude he's going to take, then why did he even bother writing the story up in the first place?

Indeed. If Westneat had been able to identify the perps and had discovered that they had delinquent parking tickets, THEN the cops might've done something ...

limequat
11-07-2014, 08:49 AM
Suppose the purse snatcher has a gun. Then what?

Spikender
11-07-2014, 09:00 AM

Then he becomes a smart purse snatcher.

jjdoyle
11-07-2014, 02:06 PM

The 911 dispatcher ordered the civilian to pull over, or they might get themselves shot. So, maybe the 911 dispatcher knew the thieves were simply off duty police officers? There's the saying, "Find a job you love and you'll never work a day again.", or something like that.

So, maybe the thieves' job in real life is being police officers "on the clock"? And that's how the dispatcher simply assumed and knew they might be armed and dangerous?

Mani
11-07-2014, 11:18 PM
I don't blame this guy for not directly confronting the thieves. That's an entirely subjective "cost-benefit" thing - and mileages will vary.

But I DO blame him for "taking the blame" for making the crime possible in the first place.
By that logic, everyone who is the victim of a crime should blame themselves for it.

But even worse than that, he excuses the failure of the cops to do anything (due to the relative "pettiness" of the crime). If there had been no way of knowing who committed the crime or who was in possession of the stolen property - and no realistic prospect of ever discovering those things (which is often the case in these kinds of "smash and grab" situations) - then the cops could reasonably be excused for not "red balling" the affair.

But that is NOT the case here. They KNEW where (at least some of) the stolen property was and the police STILL refused to do anything about it. This guy cuts the balls off his own story by blaming himself and then making excuses for the cops not doing their (alleged) jobs.

In the face of this little bit of first-hand evidence that police do NOT "protect and serve" (and that they have NO obligation to do so), this guy just says "my bad" and "no big deal." But if that's the attitude he's going to take, then why did he even bother writing the story up in the first place?

Indeed. If Westneat had been able to identify the perps and had discovered that they had delinquent parking tickets, THEN the cops might've done something ...

Officer we noticed their plates are expired.

Officer friendly: "CALL A SWAT TEAM!"

phill4paul
11-07-2014, 11:31 PM
I'm sorry g̶u̶y̶s̶ gals. I understand this need for subterfuge but if you hold up my stolen property and smirk in my face I'm gonna stomp your ass. I'll deal with the police when they show on scene. If I've not already boogied (more than likely given response times).

Leaning Libertarian
11-07-2014, 11:39 PM
when he stuck what (may have been) your I-phone out the window at you, you should have called the dispatcher back and said "he just pointed something at me, I think it was a gun." Maybe then they would have responded. Dispatchers are overpaid administrative assistants, they are not cops. Should have told them to do their job. They are not the police, judge, nor jury. They have one job. Dispatch emergency services. There are too many police too lazy or scared to take an affirmative action anyway. So much more simple for them to tell you to chock it up as a loss and call your insurance co. then if you have a deductable, it's not worth the cost of the loss. Even if you don't, a claim will likely increase your rates anyway. Outrageous.

tod evans
11-08-2014, 04:17 AM
when he stuck what (may have been) your I-phone out the window at you, you should have called the dispatcher back and said....

Apparently you're still operating under the assumption that kops are there to protect and serve?

tangent4ronpaul
11-08-2014, 04:32 AM
Baltimore city impound lot has a 100% car break in rate. The thieves are cops.

osan
11-08-2014, 04:36 AM
Limited sympathy because he is a fool with his candy-ass talk of baseball bats.

Didn't anyone ever teach him never to take a knife to a gunfight, and perhaps equally importantly, to always bring a gun to a knife-fight?

osan
11-08-2014, 05:10 AM
You are all ready to kill some punks for a phone?!?

False premise. FAIL.

You are ready to take the necessary means to stop someone who acts to threaten life and limb in the course of rightfully retrieving one's property from those who possess it without just claim.

I don't care if its right or wrong

This admission indicates a serious problem on your part. You may wish to rethink it, or perhaps reformulate the expression to be more precise in the event you feel I have misinterpreted your intended meaning.

in Wussy America, the typical DA and a jury of your "peers" will string you up for going out of your way to plot your revenge killing over a phone.

Depends on where you are located, for one thing. I would also point out that after having shot the ghosts from the two carcasses, there is no sound reason to remain in the area. You never know whether your adversaries might have friends close by. The best strategy is to remove oneself from the immediate vicinity at once in order to minimize exposure to additional hostiles. Whether you ultimately "turn yourself in" is an issue upon which I shall withhold comment.

My advice; get creative.

Hooboy... I see you have something to learn about combat. Get creative? Not where life and limb are at stake. Under such circumstances the smart man becomes very conservative, which ultimately leads to reducing complexities to the greatest degree that reasonably allows for success. Only a fool gets creative. Complexity, unless it can be employed such that it works ONLY in your favor and never against you, is the pathway to things going sideways, which in turn in the route to grave injury and death.

Keep your piece under your shirt in an IWB holster.

Where you have to fumble with clothing in order to draw your weapon.

Check.

Remove tire iron from trunk as well as a screw driver or perhaps the collapsible knife you should be carrying anyhow.

Yes, because one always wants to engage an enemy at less-than-arm's-length combat intervals.

Check.

Walk up to the perps vehicle and let some air out if the tires.

While wearing your ninja suit to make double-plus sure they never see your approach and what you are doing to the tires on their vehicle.

Check.

If they come out, before, during or after, have them set your property on the ground and get back into the vehicle so you can retrieve. If they don't comply, you have a tire iron to use.

Yes yes, of course... the mighty tire iron will certainly intimidate them into meek compliance with your wishes.

Check.

If they threaten you, now you have cause to use force.

Yes, yes, yes... because their threats will consist solely of pointing their fingers at your with grimaced faces as the sync between their lips and the sounds they make is completely out of phase. At that time, Bruce Lee arrives out of nowhere, howling and kicking and back-fisting until the bad guys are all lying about, bloodied and leaving you free to retrieve your belongings at leisure.

Check.

Yes, that should really scare them. Might upset Bruce Lee though, by denying him his opportunity to kick some ass. Next thing you know, he and Bernie Lau are arguing over the whole ordeal and things get out of hand, so maybe you leave this one out.

Check-minus.

I'm sure you're insurance company will be thrilled about that one. Your next bill will likely reflect just how thrilled.

Check.

And thank God the vehicle is one of those ubiquitous one-door models.

Check.

Sure, have a blast. After all, it's not as if these guys might be dangerous. No way they are two-time losers in a three-strikes state with practically nothing to lose if they shoot your dumb ass deader 'n stone in a desperate move to avoid a mandatory life sentence.

It was not until I arrived at this last line that it became clear that you were joking all the while... you WERE joking, right?

PS: you forgot to mention bringing trunk monkeys. Never forget your trunk monkeys.

A Son of Liberty
11-08-2014, 05:31 AM

THIS. Being reluctant to pursue and confront over a phone and 80 bucks doesn't necessarily make him less than a man. And pursuing and confronting the thieves without knowing their capabilities isn't "tough"; it's foolhardy.

Having studied martial arts, I've learned that you might never know what even the most apparently meek are capable of. Physical confrontations should be your last resort.

And this. :thumbs:

surf
11-09-2014, 02:46 PM
update
My brazen car prowlers turn out to be state’s ‘Most Wanted’

The case of the bungled car prowl just gets curiouser and curiouser. As hard as this may be to believe, it gets more embarrassing for the Seattle police.

Last week I wrote about how the police mostly ignored my family’s repeated calls to come and bust a vanload of car prowlers that my 14-year-old daughter had tracked using an iPhone app. The thieves were so brazen they held up our stolen stuff in plain view. But we were told by police dispatchers to go home and file an insurance claim.

As it turns out, these weren’t just any car prowlers. They were Washington’s Most Wanted!

You can’t make this stuff up. Six days after we trailed a silver minivan and its occupants for three hours but couldn’t get any help from police, a soccer mom became suspicious of the same van at Marymoor Park in Redmond.

“She called and said it was odd that people were sitting in this van,” says Detective Bill Albright of the Sammamish police. “When we went out I recognized the van from all the wanted bulletins we had posted. We’ve been after these people for months.”

It turns out all three had warrants out for their arrests. Police believe they may have smashed into hundreds of cars stretching back to May.

Last week, as the thieves coincidentally were being arrested, the “Washington’s Most Wanted” TV program planned to air a feature on them.

phill4paul
11-09-2014, 05:22 PM
^^^^ link. http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2024979484_westneat09xml.html

“I’m not going to sit here and defend the indefensible,” said Lt. Jim Arata, the operations commander in the north precinct who reviewed our 911 calls. “We blew it. We can’t tell you to go file an insurance claim when you’ve got criminal suspects sitting right in front of you. That’s us waving the white flag.”

Who's been fired? Do you believe that "the buck stops here?"

They did something in Sammamish. Maybe instead of sending out news releases or convening reviews or fuming about the DOJ, what Seattle really needs to do is just hire detectives Dodd and Albright.

And fire a 911 operator and a cop.

Occam's Banana
11-09-2014, 05:38 PM
^^^^ link. http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2024979484_westneat09xml.html

Other readers wrote to say the root problem is we don’t have enough cops, while some said it’s that the whole system is too tolerant.

:rolleyes:

phill4paul
11-09-2014, 05:40 PM

Well, see, in this case there was an actual cop presence. He spoke with the victim. So it wasn't a lack of cops. He just didn't "have time for this."

Indeed.