PDA

View Full Version : A Movement

mbauer
12-03-2007, 03:02 AM
Perhaps the most unsettling thing about my close following and passionate support for the Ron Paul campaign is the lack of a since of the big picture which I fear far to many of his supporters are blind to. We have been justifiably stereotyped for obnoxious behavior. We have also been the quickest to write off every other candidate... quicker than Fox is to write off the good Doctor. If this campaign is ever to be more than a campaign, we can't be stubborn rebels forever. The movement which we can create transcends libertarianism, the Republican Party, the 2008 election, and many other short term goals.

With this in mind, I'd like to write briefly about the attributes of all the candidates and in some cases draw connections with Dr. Paul, not only for our own edification, but so we are better versed with sympathy when talking to a passionate supporter of another camp. I'll be skipping international policy, because I really can't draw connections between Paul and the other candidates their in the slightest:

Tancerdo - This is very simple. Tim is still in this race because he wants immigration to be heard at every debate. He wants his strongest of stances of doing all possible to stop immigration, to challenge the other candidates with more "liberal" views on this issue. One of the areas in which Ron immediately drops the libertarian banner is on this issue. Protecting our borders in a straightforward no exceptions manner is a goal. I am thankful Tim Tancerdo is in this campaign.

Huckabee - My former governor, if nothing else reminds us that there is the possibility for an underdog to rise in the Republican Party. He is also passionately disliked by a large number of conservatives for being a Nanny State leader and a tax hiker. I won't debate the validity of this here, but I would like to point out that Mike also realizes the need for drastic reform of the tax code. Even though his ideas aren't as revolutionary as Dr. Paul's he isn't afraid of challenging the status quo, and for that and his underfunded rise to popularity Huckabee should be commended. Also, he is the only other candidate on stage that I truly believe speaks every word from his heart of hearts and actually does have a strict set of principles guiding him.

Guilliani - Did you now this man is often called a Libertarian? He ran a liberal city as a conservative by being small government on both fiscal and social issues, thus hitting that cornet of the political diamond. Yes, we all fear the police state direction he would continue to carry this county, but more bureaucracies are far of his agenda.

McCain - Long time National Legislature with very consistent stands that often goes against his own party. I could easily be describing McCain or Paul here.

Romney[B] - I can't quite build Mitt up... I'd be glad if someone else could... he is my least favorite Republican

[B]Thompson - Federalism and anti Bureaucracy... no he isn't talking about the drastic reforms of Paul, but he is talking about reform. Thompson would get my runner up vote if I had 2 votes. A true proponent of states rights is one of the reasons I am most interested in Ron Paul.

I know that wasn't the best constructed post ever. I've just want for Ron Paul Supporters to give the other campaigns the respect WE deserve.

lemnad
12-03-2007, 03:40 AM
To sum up everyone else- they do not address or even bring up the largest problems we are facing. Paul is the only one that does. What would make you even trust most of these guys to follow through with what they are promising? They have way to many "connections".

noxagol
12-03-2007, 04:17 AM
None of the other candidates deserve my respect because none of them want to A) follow the Constitution and B) Are all lying to the American people about the middle east. I think they are smart enough to know the real reason why they hate us so much but they tow the party line to be "correct" instead of being like Paul and being actually correct.

So, I will show them no respect, at least as much as involved in not interacting with them at all.