PDA

View Full Version : Youth Vote Stayed Home

Zippyjuan
11-05-2014, 11:45 AM
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/midterm-postmortem-democrats-utterly-failed-to-turn-out-young-voters/article/2555784?custom_click=rss

Interim elections are typically more older, whiter voters anyways.

The Democratic Party, however, failed miserably to mobilize millennial voters, a crucial voting bloc that it has come to rely on recently for electoral victory.

Voters aged 18-29 made up only 13 percent of the total votes cast in the 2014 midterm elections, according to CNN exit polling data. Of this 13 percent, 54 percent went to the Democrats, while only 43 percent went to Republican candidates.

The problem with these statistics is that that they are either slightly better than what Democrats got in the 2010 midterms or well below what they got in 2012, when President Obama ran for re-election against former Republican Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney.

In 2010, for instance, voters aged 18-29 accounted for 12 percent of the total vote. Democrats got 55 percent of this vote in the infamous 2010 “red wave” midterm elections.

And the figures for the 2012 presidential election aren’t even close.

In 2012, voters aged 18-29 accounted for 19 percent of the total vote. Of that 19 percent, Democrats captured 60 percent, while Republicans got only 37 percent.

Now, it’s important to note that the electorate in presidential election years tends to be younger. The point here, however, is that the Democratic Party spared no expense in 2014 trying to turn out millennial voters. Indeed, the Democrats focused a great deal of time, money and energy on silly, celebrity-studded “get out the youth vote” gimmicks.

Apparently, this didn’t work out too well for the White House and its allies.

donnay
11-05-2014, 11:48 AM
Wow, they are smarter than I have given them credit for.

specsaregood
11-05-2014, 11:48 AM
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/midterm-postmortem-democrats-utterly-failed-to-turn-out-young-voters/article/2555784?custom_click=rss

Interim elections are typically more older, whiter voters anyways.

Yes, that was the meme yesterday from the imminent losers, that interim elections are racist and should be eliminated.

William Tell
11-05-2014, 11:49 AM

I am the 13% :(

AuH20
11-05-2014, 11:51 AM
After being sold a bucket of lies, I would expect so.

donnay
11-05-2014, 11:59 AM
I am the 13% :(

That's because you got bit by the Ron Paul common sense approach in Politics. More young people came out to vote for Dr. Paul. Unfortunately, no one out there is talking like him anymore.

The opt-out of SS was one of my favorites.

Anti Federalist
11-05-2014, 12:49 PM
That's because you got bit by the Ron Paul common sense approach in Politics. More young people came out to vote for Dr. Paul. Unfortunately, no one out there is talking like him anymore.

The opt-out of SS was one of my favorites.

Ain't that the truth...

Anti Federalist
11-05-2014, 12:57 PM
Let them all stay home.

Only a tiny minority are not there to cast a ballot to force somebody to do something.

Zippyjuan
11-05-2014, 01:01 PM
Not voting doesn't "send a message". They only care about those who actually cast ballots. Non- voters get their opinion ignored.

Youth have known economic tough times for a large portion of their lives. They have also seen political dysfunction a lot of that time as well. Their cynicism is understandable. Where is the "youthful optimism"?

puppetmaster
11-05-2014, 01:07 PM

I feel the opposite

William Tell
11-05-2014, 01:25 PM
I feel the opposite

Yeah, most of them are idiots. You give us Obama, you better try to fix it.

Anti Federalist
11-05-2014, 01:36 PM
Not voting doesn't "send a message". They only care about those who actually cast ballots. Non- voters get their opinion ignored.

Youth have known economic tough times for a large portion of their lives. They have also seen political dysfunction a lot of that time as well. Their cynicism is understandable. Where is the "youthful optimism"?

LOL - Vote harder!

Pericles
11-05-2014, 01:39 PM
Both parties are delusional and that is the basis of opportunity.

jmdrake
11-05-2014, 01:43 PM

If your choice is between republicrat and demopublican what kind of "message" are you sending exactly? I seriously thought about not voting this go round. It was the ballot measures that brought me out. (Anti abortion and anti income tax).

Zippyjuan
11-05-2014, 01:44 PM
That is where you can have more impact anyways.

William Tell
11-05-2014, 01:44 PM
LOL - Vote harder!

That's how Shem won.

jbauer
11-05-2014, 01:49 PM
Michelle said I get fried chicken. I want my fried chicken.

Anti Federalist
11-05-2014, 01:54 PM
That's how Shem won.

Local elections close to home.

Federal elections are hopeless.

We get Shem but we still have all four of those awful broads in DC and another idiot in the governors office.

ETA - Well, shut my mouth.

Frank Guinta won my district's race for Congress.

Occam's Banana
11-05-2014, 02:06 PM
Not voting doesn't "send a message".

Neither does voting.

As demonstrated by "analyses" such as the "Hillary was the real winner of the 2014 midterms" and "the Republicans won because voters want them to work with Obama and the Democrats" stories (both of which I have heard in the media since yesterday), the only "messages" sent to the political class are the ones they want to receive (even if they have to just make them up) ...

Non-voters get their opinion ignored.

Given that nothing of any useful specificity can be reliably deduced about the particular opinions of someone merely because he or she has voted for Candidate X, I am unclear as to what substantial differences there might possibly be between "non-voters getting their opinions ignored" (on the one hand) and "voters not getting their opinions ignored" (on the other hand) ...

twomp
11-05-2014, 02:12 PM

Who ran yesterday that there is to be "optimistic" about? Just be optimistic for no reason? You want to see optimism? Go watch some of Ron Paul's speeches at the college campuses in 2012. There will be "youthful optimism" when someone gives them a reason to be optimistic. Last night's election result in a nutshell -- All we got in 2014 elections was more of the same.

specsaregood
11-05-2014, 02:17 PM
Who ran yesterday that there is to be "optimistic" about? Just be optimistic for no reason? You want to see optimism? Go watch some of Ron Paul's speeches at the college campuses in 2012. There will be "youthful optimism" when someone gives them a reason to be optimistic. Last night's election result in a nutshell -- All we got in 2014 elections was more of the same.

Mr. Blum evidently:

Amen! In fact, I talked to him and the first thing he told me when he goes to Washington is to walk right into Justin Amash's office and say hi.

He is definitely an ally for liberty

And I coulda sworn quite a few people were excited about Mr. Brat.

William Tell
11-05-2014, 02:17 PM
Rod Blum should be Justin Amash quality, I've seen his interviews. Dave Brat might be up there too. Yeah, most winners sucked, but almost everyone we had who made it too the General election won. Even in swing districts.

ZENemy
11-05-2014, 02:53 PM
That is where you can have more impact anyways.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/apr/21/americas-oligarchy-not-democracy-or-republic-unive/

America is no longer a democracy — never mind the democratic republic envisioned by Founding Fathers.

Rather, it has taken a turn down elitist lane and become a country led by a small dominant class comprised of powerful members who exert total control over the general population — an oligarchy, said a new study jointly conducted by Princeton and Northwestern universities.

One finding in the study: The U.S. government now represents the rich and powerful, not the average citizen, United Press International reported.

In the study, “Testing Theories of American Politics: Elites, Interest Groups and Average Citizens,” researchers compared 1,800 different U.S. policies that were put in place by politicians between 1981 and 2002 to the type of policies preferred by the average and wealthy American, or special interest groups.

Researchers then concluded that U.S. policies are formed more by special interest groups than by politicians properly representing the will of the general people, including the lower-income class.

“The central point that emerges from our research is that economic elites and organized groups representing business interests have substantial independent impacts on U.S. government policy, while mass-based interest groups and average citizens have little or no independent influence,” the study found.

The study also found: “When a majority of citizens disagrees with economic elites and/or with organized interests, they generally lose.”

VOTE HARDER!!

TAKE CLASSES ON HOW TO VOTE BETTER!!!

HilaryNepotismClinton for slave master 2016!!!

Anti Federalist
11-05-2014, 03:30 PM
Rather, it has taken a turn down elitist lane and become a country led by a small dominant class comprised of powerful members who exert total control over the general population — an oligarchy, said a new study jointly conducted by Princeton and Northwestern universities.

The Anti Federalists told you so.

GunnyFreedom
11-05-2014, 03:37 PM
Local elections close to home.

Federal elections are hopeless.

We get Shem but we still have all four of those awful broads in DC and another idiot in the governors office.

ETA - Well, shut my mouth.

Frank Guinta won my district's race for Congress.

Is this a positive thing? I ask because I honestly don't know. I have followed basically no politics since the Primary (sorry, cleansing lol) and now I'm looking at 2016 and doing a little architecture.

GunnyFreedom
11-05-2014, 03:46 PM
Mr. Blum evidently:

And I coulda sworn quite a few people were excited about Mr. Brat.

I, too remember people being excited about David Brat.

Don't forget Shem Kellogg and Clyde Coulter either!

Look, Since 2009 I've gone around speaking to Tea Parties, and one of my biggest messages on "how to restore the Constitution" advocated two methods for restoring the Constitution to the United States.

First method is the easiest, it is slower and less effective, but it is just as inevitable and it works. Vote out any incumbent who breaks the Constitution by voting 'for the other guy' even if the incumbent is in your own Party.

Second method is faster and more effective, but a lot more difficult to do. Not only to figure out, but also to stand on getting withered on all sides. Only vote for those individuals whom you KNOW will obey the Constitution.

Although I prefer the second method because I know we don't have long left, neither do I judge people who are working the first. Rather I will continue to remind them about the part that says "even if the incumbent is in your own Party."

LibForestPaul
11-05-2014, 05:23 PM

LOLOL.

No one cares how you vote. Same as in Russia and North korea and China, one party rule.

Lord Xar
11-05-2014, 06:01 PM
Fine.

The younger voters seem to be little sucklings on the teet of government. Granted, everyone has their hand out...

But with the indoctrination of the publics schools, media promoting AND marketing government propaganda, it seems to me that the younger generation are just a bunch of marxists waiting in the wings for their bellies to be fed and their security to wrapped in the blanket of government love.

Fuck em'... let them stay home.

Granted, we did see an uptick with those that lover liberty --- so, there are exceptions...

who knows.. perhaps it is 'certain' demographics that love them some government love......

devil21
11-05-2014, 06:20 PM
If your choice is between republicrat and demopublican what kind of "message" are you sending exactly? I seriously thought about not voting this go round. It was the ballot measures that brought me out. (Anti abortion and anti income tax).

You and me both, along with opportunity to vote for a good local candidate (who of course did not win because he wasn't trying to win over the growing gimme-that voter segment that's making up more and more of my city every day). At least a local sales tax hike to shovel more money at teachers got soundly rejected so there's some brightness.

I don't fall into the 18-29 group so it doesn't apply to me though.

HVACTech
11-05-2014, 07:08 PM
Neither does voting.
I am unclear as to what substantial differences there might possibly be between "non-voters getting their opinions ignored" (on the one hand) and "voters not getting their opinions ignored" (on the other hand) ...

yeah, that there is some pretty COMPLICATED stuff alright. that stuff right there mind you.
probably best that you took the moral high ground and just stayed home and sat on your arse, typing on a machine that you don't understand either.

:)

twomp
11-05-2014, 07:13 PM
Fine.

The younger voters seem to be little sucklings on the teet of government. Granted, everyone has their hand out...

But with the indoctrination of the publics schools, media promoting AND marketing government propaganda, it seems to me that the younger generation are just a bunch of marxists waiting in the wings for their bellies to be fed and their security to wrapped in the blanket of government love.

Granted, we did see an uptick with those that lover liberty --- so, there are exceptions...

who knows.. perhaps it is 'certain' demographics that love them some government love......

So you are saying when you were between 18-29, all you did was worry about politics and voting? Considering how our country turned out. Maybe you should have stayed home too. Is there any difference between the hacks in the Senate now and the hacks that just got voted into the Senate besides the gang colors they wear? Please enlighten us on what you did to bring liberty to everyone when you were 18-29 and explain to us how you have failed so miserably that our country has gotten into it's current state. Blame everyone but yourself right?

HVACTech
11-05-2014, 07:24 PM
Granted, everyone has their hand out...

speak for yourself please.

HVACTech
11-05-2014, 07:30 PM
So you are saying when you were between 18-29, all you did was worry about politics and voting? Considering how our country turned out. Maybe you should have stayed home too. Is there any difference between the hacks in the Senate now and the hacks that just got voted into the Senate besides the gang colors they wear? Please enlighten us on what you did to bring liberty to everyone when you were 18-29 and explain to us how you have failed so miserably that our country has gotten into it's current state. Blame everyone but yourself right?

are you pre-teen? that is the most drivel I have ever seen written!

ho ho. dear sir, do YOU know what the difference is between a Democracy and a Republic?
(or is that too complicated for you?)

NIU Students for Liberty
11-05-2014, 09:23 PM
Fine.

Yes, because the baby boomers did an awesome job giving us Reagan, Bush 1, Clinton, Bush 2, McCain, & Romney.

And how can I forget multiple endless wars, an economic collapse, the Patriot Act, domestic spying programs, & the war on drugs that the little "marxists" are forced to flip the bill for.

Occam's Banana
11-05-2014, 09:32 PM
yeah, that there is some pretty COMPLICATED stuff alright. that stuff right there mind you.
probably best that you took the moral high ground and just stayed home and sat on your arse, typing on a machine that you don't understand either.

:)

Do you ever say anything that actually has a point - or do you reserve your wit for generating random, irrelevant & bizarre non sequitur insults?

NIU Students for Liberty
11-05-2014, 09:33 PM

ho ho. dear sir, do YOU know what the difference is between a Democracy and a Republic?

Your constitutional republic wet dream has only increased the size and scope of both the federal and state governments since its inception. Do YOU know the difference between consent & force, or is that too complicated for you?

Well, I'll help you out. The idealized version of government that you & your mythological founding fathers clamored for still involves democratic principles that allow for the ignorant majority to vote into office corporatist scumbags that openly promise to restrict the rights of the many in order to benefit the few.

erowe1
11-05-2014, 09:38 PM
That's good news.

Ender
11-05-2014, 10:14 PM

And do you know what Franklin meant when he said? "A Republic if you can keep it"?

We haven't; it isn't; and voting for the lesser of 2 evils is not in my playing field.

twomp
11-05-2014, 11:24 PM

I guess you don't read what you write much? Please enlighten us on your thoughts on all this. When you were 18-29, did you vote every chance you could? Why are you so offended by my statement? Hurt your feelings old guy?

nobody's_hero
11-06-2014, 12:24 AM

I used to think so. But, Look up the phrase, "Irish democracy"

erowe1
11-06-2014, 09:54 AM

What is the difference?

LibForestPaul
11-09-2014, 02:49 PM
Your constitutional republic wet dream has only increased the size and scope of both the federal and state governments since its inception. Do YOU know the difference between consent & force, or is that too complicated for you?

Well, I'll help you out. The idealized version of government that you & your mythological founding fathers clamored for still involves democratic principles that allow for the ignorant majority to vote into office corporatist scumbags that openly promise to restrict the rights of the many in order to benefit the few.

That is the biggest lie. That a vote has actual value. Value = work * time. I would rather buy my candidate, my representative (i.e. anarcho-capitilisism), and assign to him whatever I believe his value (5k 10k 20k) to be.

A Son of Liberty
11-09-2014, 03:46 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77W5OKStO5s

Vote LOUDER, maybe?

When the curtain was pulled back, did you still believe in the wizard?

GunnyFreedom
11-09-2014, 03:49 PM
Really, Party Activists need to be focusing pretty hard on National Committeeman and National Committeewoman for the next 4 years and fix the corruption that rMoney forced into the rules.