PDA

View Full Version : Today is Election Day

helmuth_hubener
11-04-2014, 11:36 AM
We have a wide variety of opinions regarding voting and electoral politics here on the Good Ship RPF. And that's wonderful and as it should be! But as Google has informed me this morning: today is election day in the United States. I think that we should at least have one story on the front page about this, and as much as I personally agree with bxm's sentiments in his thread, perhaps it should be a neutral one simply making the announcement. It is certainly a relevant and at least somewhat interesting event, and there are other liberty lovers using DuckDuckGo or other homepages who thus cannot be alerted by Google as I was. So, regardless of your position on voting:

Today is Election Day!

Go to Your Local Polling Place!

Or Don't!

Cast a Ballot for Liberty Candidates and Referenda while you're there!

Or just Sign-Wave for Ron Paul with all your old rEVOLution signs you have sitting in your garage!

Do whatever you want! Whatever you do, today is a day when the masses will turn their minds at least somewhat toward politics. That may be an opportunity for you to further your liberty agenda, however you personally choose to go about it. Remeber: liberty brings us together; it doesn't divide us. Rich and poor, Democrats and Republicans, bikers and brokers, grandmas and goth chicks, and also voters and non-voters and anti-voters, candidates and anarchists and even people who are both at once!

Take a Stand and Fight for Freedom! Whatever that may mean to you, individually. After all, we're each individuals, and so let's we, of all people, respect that.

heavenlyboy34
11-04-2014, 11:58 AM
LOL :D

HOLLYWOOD
11-04-2014, 12:02 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-bdL4zSexDtY/UKjXLwbyiLI/AAAAAAAACPM/DWZZCjviJd8/s1600/march+of+tyrrany.JPG

Lucille
11-04-2014, 12:05 PM
In case anyone's curious or missed it, here's the link to bmx's thread (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?462436-Happy-Voting-Day!). (LOL)

AuH20
11-04-2014, 12:06 PM
I really think I'm only going to vote against the governor today. Gawd I hate him.

TheTexan
11-04-2014, 12:06 PM
Yes, more threads on this, the better!! People must know!!

Knowledge of voting day will set you free!

jllundqu
11-04-2014, 12:11 PM
http://www.spiceweasel.dk/assholes.jpg

presence
11-04-2014, 12:19 PM
yes... but rest assured we'll have more at luck changing their hearts than we will at removing them from power

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view/738994/grinch-heart-grows-o.gif

wizardwatson
11-04-2014, 12:59 PM
Reasons most people vote:

1. Because it's the patriotic thing to do
2. Because if you don't vote how can you complain? (most people that say this don't complain, plus it's false)
3. Because it feels good and you get to look patriotic when encouraging others to vote.
4. Because you get a sticker. (Honestly probably the most tangible return on time invested)

People (at least around my workplace) want to get into the "election spirit". It's emotional engagement for the vast majority of people. It's like getting into the Christmas spirit only every two years instead of one. Instead of presents you get emotional validation that you are a citizen participating in the republic and honoring those who died for your freedom. Once election day is over people let go of this delusion and settle back in to being a politically inert consumer.

People should realize that if less uninformed voters voted the system would be harder to game via campaign financing.

People always say "well, I know it's all rigged and politicians are all corrupt but you have to vote for the lesser of two evils." But if you can't honestly say which one you truly think is the more evil based on at least some facts then you are the evil one and you shouldn't be voting.

AuH20
11-04-2014, 01:03 PM

2. Because if you don't vote how can you complain? (most people that say this don't complain, plus it's false)
3. Because it feels good and you get to look patriotic when encouraging others to vote.
4. Because you get a sticker. (Honestly probably the most tangible return on time invested)

People (at least around my workplace) want to get into the "election spirit". It's emotional engagement for the vast majority of people. It's like getting into the Christmas spirit only every two years instead of one. Instead of presents you get emotional validation that you are a citizen participating in the republic and honoring those who died for your freedom. Once election day is over people let go of this delusion and settle back in to being a politically inert consumer.

People should realize that if less uninformed voters voted the system would be harder to game via campaign financing.

People always say "well, I know it's all rigged and politicians are all corrupt but you have to vote for the lesser of two evils." But if you can't honestly say which one you truly think is the more evil based on at least some facts then you are the evil one and you shouldn't be voting.

A placebo...

AuH20
11-04-2014, 01:08 PM
CAN YOU FEEL THE FREEDOM? IT'S OVERWHELMING!!!

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2014/11/unprecedented-obama-forces-insurance-industry-to-withhold-2015-prices-until-after-election/

This year, for the first time in 20 years I can not even quote a replacement product because Barack Obama has issued a GAG ORDER to the health insurance industry instructing them not to disclose their January 2015 health insurance rates until after the mid-term elections. This is unprecedented. Normally health insurance premiums are released for public viewing 60 days before the January 1st effective date. Where are the reports on these cancellations and the gag order from NBC, ABC, CBS and CNN? The only news organization that I am aware of that has reported on any of this is the Fox News channel. I can guarantee you one thing, not one of my clients who received a cancellation notice is voting Democrat on Tuesday.

wizardwatson
11-04-2014, 01:09 PM
A placebo...

Yep. I actually liked what you said in the other thread, thought it was spot on:

The children of this country have been trained to emotionally process problems instead of logically. Just examine the angle of many of these so-called political ads. They are all emotionally geared without any real substantive thought behind them. If you're a thinking man these days, you're simply out of your depth with the current voting populace, unless of course you can gin up a highly moving emotional subject to run upon. Just examine the democrats' obsession with the war on women & other such nonsense. They have extracted an incredible amount of political mileage from this contrived circus.

Totally agree, and would simply add that people are "emotionally processing" election day itself which was the gist of my post.

invisible
11-04-2014, 02:08 PM
I really think I'm only going to vote against the governor today. Gawd I hate him.

Why stop there? Vote against ALL the horrible candidates! And if there isn't a good candidate running, vote L or write in Ron Paul or write in Vermin Supreme. I'm not only voting against a horrible Governor, but against an awful Congressman running for the Senate, against a warmonger running for that Congressman's open seat, and against an awful State Rep. But the most satisfying vote on my ballot will be for a genuine Liberty Candidate running against an awful State Rep for an open State Senate seat! :)

Christian Liberty
11-04-2014, 02:12 PM
I didn't vote. I may at some point but I saw no real reason to do so this time around. Plus, I forgot to register. Politics isn't important enough...

staerker
11-04-2014, 02:14 PM

I always loved this one; "If you don't get on you knees and beg for a new master, your current one has every right to whip you to death."

heavenlyboy34
11-04-2014, 02:19 PM

5. Every time you don't vote, Ba'al kills a kitten.

AuH20
11-04-2014, 02:58 PM
Why stop there? Vote against ALL the horrible candidates! And if there isn't a good candidate running, vote L or write in Ron Paul or write in Vermin Supreme. I'm not only voting against a horrible Governor, but against an awful Congressman running for the Senate, against a warmonger running for that Congressman's open seat, and against an awful State Rep. But the most satisfying vote on my ballot will be for a genuine Liberty Candidate running against an awful State Rep for an open State Senate seat! :)

My state assembly rep (the republican Marcellino) voted for the abhorrent NY (un)Safe Act. I think I'm going to vote for Gigi Bowman, the independent (L) candidate.

As far as my congressional district, I really don't like this Grant Lally (Bushco lawyer) character, but I would take personal pleasure in seeing an 8 term tool like Steve Israel get knocked off. I will gladly pull the lever for Astorino as a long shot against that vampire Cuomo in the gubernatorial match. As far as the notable state wide referendum, I will vote NO for the 2 billion dollar loan to 'upgrade' school IT infrastructure, computers & security. It looks like another cash grab that will likely pass due to the fact that it is "for the children."

Christian Liberty
11-04-2014, 03:02 PM
My state assembly rep (the republican Marcellino) voted for the abhorrent NY (un)Safe Act. I think I'm going to vote for Gigi Bowman, the independent (L) candidate.

As far as my congressional district, I really don't like this Grant Lally character, but I would take personal pleasure in seeing an 8 term tool like Steve Israel get knocked off. I will gladly pull the lever for Astorino as a long shot against that vampire Cuomo in the gubernatorial match. As far as the notable state wide referendum, I will vote NO for the 2 billion dollar loan to upgrade school IT infrastructure, computers & security. It looks like another cash grab.

After looking at Astorino's site, I'd probably have voted for him to. Fiscal issues matter disproportionately more at the state level since there is no foreign policy to worry about, and Cuomo is a scumbag.

But, I'm at college in Virginia now, and I didn't wind up voting.

AuH20
11-04-2014, 03:07 PM
After looking at Astorino's site, I'd probably have voted for him to. Fiscal issues matter disproportionately more at the state level since there is no foreign policy to worry about, and Cuomo is a scumbag.

But, I'm at college in Virginia now, and I didn't wind up voting.

Astorino is firmly opposed to the Safe Act, which IMHO takes some big cajones. He's not perfect but he has staked a liberty angle on enough positions to satisfy me.

AuH20
11-04-2014, 03:19 PM
Here are the three referendums in NY:

http://www.elections.ny.gov/ProposedConsAmendments2.html

Proposal #1 is a no brainer. You don't want the governor involved in reshaping district lines. NO

Proposal #2 sounds efficient with a move towards electronic distribution & record keeping. On the fence with this one.

Proposal #3 as I described before is a total cash grab, circumventing the local budget process. Hell no.

thoughtomator
11-04-2014, 03:32 PM
The candidate Alaskans SHOULD be voting for:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5n8ktRZKJMM

CCTelander
11-04-2014, 03:37 PM
A placebo...

Placebos actually work a statistically significant portion of the time.

thoughtomator
11-04-2014, 03:40 PM
Placebos actually work a statistically significant portion of the time.

In this case it's certainly keeping the patient calm while the doctor reaches way up his butt to steal the gold fillings in his teeth

Root
11-04-2014, 03:43 PM
I voted and voted very hard. I typed my name in for 7 positions and Ron Paul for my county sheriff. Wore my RP2012 shirt today too.

helmuth_hubener
11-04-2014, 03:44 PM
I voted and voted very hard. I typed my name in for 7 positions and Ron Paul for my county sheriff. Wore my RP2012 shirt today too.

Awesome!

heavenlyboy34
11-04-2014, 03:59 PM
Hey, helmuth-
I voted so hard they felt it in California. ;) No on all the silly propositions and write-ins for all the available spots.

invisible
11-04-2014, 04:22 PM

As far as my congressional district, I really don't like this Grant Lally (Bushco lawyer) character, but I would take personal pleasure in seeing an 8 term tool like Steve Israel get knocked off. I will gladly pull the lever for Astorino as a long shot against that vampire Cuomo in the gubernatorial match. As far as the notable state wide referendum, I will vote NO for the 2 billion dollar loan to 'upgrade' school IT infrastructure, computers & security. It looks like another cash grab that will likely pass due to the fact that it is "for the children."

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. Due to similar strategic reasons, I'm actually voting for a liberal for the very first time (and probably the only time) in my life - one of two democrats I'm voting for, again for the very first time in my entire life. Connie Johnson is an honest, Kucinich type liberal - running against Congressman wankford for the US Senate. She's actually earned my vote, and my respect. Being from her State Senate district, I've talked with her many times about various pieces of legislation and issues. She's always been more than glad to actually sit down and listen to the people she was elected to represent. It was funny to see her actually use one of my arguments in a debate against wankford. She's been a leading civil liberties voice in the State Legislature, and a leading voice of MJ legalization. She's bad on the usual issues that liberals are bad on, but like Kucinich, she actually represents the people. I'd much rather see her in there than MIC / corporate shill wankford, but of course the real choice was Randy Brogdon in the primary.

The other one is blue dog Joe Dorman for Governor. He actually has a more conservative record (as a State Rep) than our awful RINO Governor does. OK's State Legislature nullified real id, but our Governor used an EO to implement it anyways. Dorman supported all of the nullification efforts, and would undo the EO if elected. His record also shows him to be a tax-cutter, and strong on 2A issues. It's going to feel really weird to vote for these two, and actually mark a spot on the ballot for a democrat. But they're both actually far and away the better candidates in their respective races.

The Congressional seat that wankford is vacating was the biggest missed opportunity for a Liberty Candidate in the entire midterm election. My vote will go to the L candidate, rather than the warmonger that will likely win. The rest of my ballot will probably end up being straight ticket R, with one of them being a Liberty Candidate (Duane C for State Senate).

invisible
11-04-2014, 04:25 PM
Hey, helmuth-
I voted so hard they felt it in California. ;) No on all the silly propositions and write-ins for all the available spots.

Cool! You must have gotten stuck with a defective ballot, if there wasn't anyone good on it to vote for. Maybe they would have taken it back if you had complained, and let you exchange it for another one with better candidates on it. Who did you write in?

tangent4ronpaul
11-04-2014, 04:26 PM
Why I vote:

3 major reasons really...

It's my bi-yearly chance to express my displeasure with my elected representatives by voting against them. I was happily surprised that 3 libertarians were running and voted for all three, though I'd never heard of them. If I'd known they were running I would have campaigned for um. After that I voted for every republican running (other than the ones running for the same slots the libs were running for.

I wasn't expecting a state constitutional amendment. It basically said the state legislature is banned from taking highway funds and putting them in the general fund and spending them on other things. Our state legislature is notorious for this type of stunt. voted yes.

Then there is the long list of unfunded stuff that people like that they want to borrow bucko bucks for, you know because all the money is tied up paying back previous bonds that we couldn't afford at the time. Things like school funding and parks are on this list. Elevators and health clubs in executive buildings are never put to a vote that money is just spent. I always vote NO on these.

And the number one reason I vote? It's the only time and place that I KNOW I can find a pack of girl scouts selling those delicious cookies! I got there late and bought their last 2 boxes of shortbread - WHAAAA! - I wanted more...

-t

ps: there were 2 slots where a dem was running unopposed. Sheriff and Attorney General. If I'd known, I might have thrown my hat in the ring, but both of those jobs would have really sucked. Could have done a lot of good, but...

heavenlyboy34
11-04-2014, 04:39 PM
Cool! You must have gotten stuck with a defective ballot, if there wasn't anyone good on it to vote for. Maybe they would have taken it back if you had complained, and let you exchange it for another one with better candidates on it. Who did you write in?

Among others, the legendary Mr. Giggles. :D :cool: I thought about voting for Barry Hess (gov), but that's not as creative/entertaining.

invisible
11-04-2014, 04:41 PM
Sucked? SUCKED? t for Baltimore Co Sheriff would have been kickass! Just think of all the fun you could have with THAT job in THAT location! Campaign on a promise to arrest o'malley if he ever sets foot in Baltimore Co again!

dillo
11-04-2014, 04:42 PM
Officially proud to not be voting for any of the corrupt politicians in my area

2young2vote
11-04-2014, 05:01 PM
I voted straight libertarian except for state representative which I voted for the Republican who's campaign is managed by Ron Paul's former state campaign manager. The campaign manager had Amash, Massey, and Ron Paul bumper stickers on his car so I assumed the candidate was legit, but leaning more conservative on social issues.

AuH20
11-04-2014, 05:52 PM
I didn't like the fact that they buried the libertarian at the bottom of the columned ballot in the state assembly race. I call shenanigans.

Jeremy
11-04-2014, 05:54 PM
I think you mean toady

HVACTech
11-04-2014, 06:00 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-bdL4zSexDtY/UKjXLwbyiLI/AAAAAAAACPM/DWZZCjviJd8/s1600/march+of+tyrrany.JPG

I dutifully went in there once again... and.. I only held my nose for one vote!!!!

I went off the rails when I saw either a Libertarian or an Independent as a choice on every single vote! sweet!
mebbe there IS hope for this country after all.

heavenlyboy34
11-04-2014, 06:26 PM
I dutifully went in there once again... and.. I only held my nose for one vote!!!!

I went off the rails when I saw either a Libertarian or an Independent as a choice on every single vote! sweet!
mebbe there IS hope for this country after all.
Man, I wish more people were creative with write-in names. We could have some good lolz. :D