PDA

View Full Version : How would Ron Paul run this blimp project?

Second_Tier_My_Ass
12-03-2007, 02:19 AM
Conservatively.

Here's how I see it...

Trevor Lyman - The man who made the This November 5th money bomb happen and had orginal concept for a Ron Paul Blimp in mid-June. Trevor will conduct most interviews with the press.
$1,000/week

I can see the need to have ONE PERSON who would be in charge of talking with the media and doing interviews and organizing when to bring people aboard and drop them off. Yes, one person can easily do all of this.

Elijah Lynn - Individual who got momentum for this project going and made arrangements with fellow Ron Paul supporter.
$1,000/week

OK, but what is his job??? I don't care what he did in the past. What are we going to PAY HIM to do??? Seems to me he doesn't even have a job, so this position is easily cut.

Jerry Collette - Paralegal and Manager
$1,000/week

Managing what? The pilots are flying it. A route and timetable can be set up easily, by just about anyone. What is there to manage? And we already have 2 high-priced lawyers. Cut this person.

Videographer 1 - Videographer 1 will be in the blimp filming the passengers or in other aircraft taping the blimp with the passengers in it. When not in the air they will also be taping another perspective.
$1,000/week
Videographer 2 - Videographer 2 will be on the ground filming all of the rallies and the aerial displays.
$1,000/week

I don't think we need 2 videographers. Do you have any idea how many people have camcorders and an internet connection in this country? Trust me, once this blimp starts flying over major cities, there will be hundreds, if not thousands of youtube videos of it. Ron Paul supporters ALREADY film all of the rallies anyway. We don't need anybody on the ground filming the blimp. As for the airborne videographer... well, doesn't the media bring their own cameras anyway? It's not like the MSM is going to use footage that we shoot. They'll just shoot their own footage of the blimp. The price is too high for some neat little clips of the inside of the blimp. We don't need it, we can't afford it. Both videographers are cut (along with the price of the camcorders, laptops and other video equipment.

Bryce Henderson- Company Media Coordinator
$1,000/week

Again, I thought Trevor was going to be talking with the media. Cut this person.

Joe Amidon - Assistant Manager
$1,000/week

If we don't need a manager, we sure as hell don't need an assistant manager. Cut.

Joel Lemieux - On Location Media Coordinator
Volunteer - Expenses paid

Volunteer? Sounds great!

Katherine
Volunteer - Fill Time - No expenses

Volunteer? Sounds great!

Webmaster/Web developer (added 12/02/2008 @ 8:10 MST)
$1,000/week

Are you telling me there isn't a tech-savvy person somewhere on these forums who would be willing to watch after the blimp website for free? Seriously, how much updating does it require? This can easily be a volunteer-based position, and it can involve the help from multiple people to lighten the load. Cut this position.

There, THIS IS HOW RON PAUL WOULD RUN THIS PROJECT, and therefore, as Ron Paul supporters, this is how we should run it.

What's wrong with having the pilots fly the blimp and letting a few supporters (people who donated a lot) ride for a bit, but otherwise allow the blimp to speak for itself? I can understand having one person onboard to coordinate stuff and talk with the media, and if Trevor wants to do it and receive a weekly salary for his troubles, I'd let him. But this project has quickly become bloated. The important message is on the outside of the blimp, not the people within who don't necessarily speak for the campaign or for the grassroots movement. Clearly, we don't need to have so many people involved. Keeping the staff down to a minimum would allow for much more flying time.

ATTN: TREVOR or anyone else involved with the organization of the blimp idea...

You have very little time (only a few days) to make these changes, or it will become too late. People are upset by what is taking place and I urge you to listen. I believe the plan I've set in place would work far greater than the current plan because my plan would piss off less people and they would be more willing to donate. The goal here is to put a f*cking Ron Paul blimp in the air, not to start a company with a full staff with full-time paying jobs. It was a good idea to avoid setting up a PAC and doing all of this privately, but this project has gone way overboard. You don't need 99% of the things you've listed in order to reach this goal.

I see that you have several volunteers on your staff. That is admirable, and I wish there was more of this taking place. All you had to do was ask for volunteers on these forums and your inbox would have been flooded with people who would actually be willing to take leave from their jobs for a week or two at a time and go help out with the blimp project. It could have been a truly grassroots effort, and it still can be!!!

PLEASE, I BEG OF YOU, listen to these words before it is too late!!!

I absolutely hate to be negative. I would love to see this thing in the air, but I think this is an issue that will become the blimp's undoing unless it is resolved quickly.

TechnoGuyRob
12-03-2007, 02:28 AM
Thanks. I highly agree.

I kind of feel sad my measly $25 donation will probably go to a few minutes of a lawyer. :p

skiingff
12-03-2007, 02:29 AM
Agreed.

Mental Dribble
12-03-2007, 02:31 AM
I think your dead wrong about the Video issue. We need to reach people who are NOT ON youtube. We need to have professional video footage to provide media outlets and the news. You have to keep in mind the world is must bigger than this forum on our youtube page. If we want to win we have to run an A plus professional campaign.

Can they cut costs? Of course. But I would rather have this blimp in the air with the current costs than no blimp at all. Come on dude, its not a hard choice.

Second_Tier_My_Ass
12-03-2007, 02:33 AM
I think your dead wrong about the Video issue. We need to reach people who are NOT ON youtube. We need to have professional video footage to provide media outlets and the news. You have to keep in mind the world is must bigger than this forum on our youtube page. If we want to win we have to run an A plus professional campaign.

Can they cut costs? Of course. But I would rather have this blimp in the air with the current costs than no blimp at all. Come on dude, its not a hard choice.

Do you have any idea how often the MSM uses footage directly from youtube?

They do it all the time!

If it's online, it is also on television. And vice versa.

And as I said before, the MSM will bring their own cameras and record their own footage if and when they do interviews with Trevor or whoever else is in the blimp. Maybe if we want to pay someone to shoot a nice 30-second clip of it and make it look all professional, that way we could send it to the MSM, then that would be alright. But we don't need to pay a full-time salary on a weekly basis for someone to do this. My point is that there is surely someone here who has a good camera who would do it for free.

ctb619
12-03-2007, 02:34 AM
I don't agree with all your cost cutting proposals, but I do concur that the operation should be streamlined. I'm sure they'll give it some consideration -- either way, I can't wait to see this thing in the air.

Mental Dribble
12-03-2007, 02:35 AM
The world does not revolve around youtube. I work in this field, if you want to look professional your content source can not constantly be youtube.

synthetic
12-03-2007, 02:37 AM
Ron Paul would eliminate the bureaucracy and save hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Ron Paul would oppose the needless, undeclared, for-profit adventure we've seen spring up when the bill became due.

Ron Paul would eliminate unnecessary departments, starting with the Liberty Political Advertising LLC.

alexpasch
12-03-2007, 02:38 AM
The proposed cuts reduce expenses by over 20k a month...seems worth it to me...

Again, why do we have all these positions? If people were only needed for a one time thing (eg. incorporating the LLC), then don't offer them a BS full-time position when their services are no longer needed.

Also, we don't need to "hype" this thing up to the media, trust me, they will come to us. No videographers, media contacts etc.

It should be Trevor, Elijah, two lawyers, a few volunteers and that's it.

Mental Dribble
12-03-2007, 02:38 AM
This is not the goverment. We aren't used manditory tax dollars. We are using donations. MOVE ON!

alexpasch
12-03-2007, 02:39 AM
The world does not revolve around youtube. I work in this field, if you want to look professional your content source can not constantly be youtube.

The local news media will provide videographers for free...I dare you to challenge this assertion.

Mental Dribble
12-03-2007, 02:40 AM
Also, we don't need to "hype" this thing up to the media, trust me, they will come to us. No videographers, media contacts etc.

I do agree costs can be cut, but your way off base here. At least if any of the last 3 months worth of LACK OF COVERAGE are any indication. Its our job to SHOVE THIS DOWN THE MEDIAS THROAT! Dont give them any ability to make excuses. Have you not been paying attention by the complete disparity in coverage Paul has been receiving?

Second_Tier_My_Ass
12-03-2007, 02:43 AM
I do agree costs can be cut, but your way off base here. At least if any of the last 3 months worth of LACK OF COVERAGE are any indication. Its our job to SHOVE THIS DOWN THE MEDIAS THROAT! Dont give them any ability to make excuses. Have you not been paying attention by the complete disparity in coverage Paul has been receiving?

So, basically... the lack of Ron Paul coverage thus far has been do to his lack of good videographers in his campaign?

I just don't see how, if the blimp doesn't attract the media, then having 2 videographers will. The story is that we have a blimp in the sky, not that we're making nice film clips of the blimp all by ourself. Let the media film it themselves. That's their job.

alexpasch
12-03-2007, 02:44 AM

Ok, so we get videographers then, give them nice cameras and let them film. Oh wait, the MSM of course is not going to show this shit on TV since they obviously have no interest. So what do we do with all the video the videographers shot? Youtube?

May I remind you what you said just a few minutes ago:

"The world does not revolve around youtube. I work in this field, if you want to look professional your content source can not constantly be youtube."

So if the MSM doesn't want to cover us, the videographers BY YOUR OWN ADMISSION are completely useless. Now, if the MSM does want to cover us, they will provide videographers for free.

Thank you for challenging my assertion, it's been fun schooling you.

alexpasch
12-03-2007, 02:47 AM
So, basically... the lack of Ron Paul coverage thus far has been do to his lack of good videographers in his campaign?

I just don't see how, if the blimp doesn't attract the media, then having 2 videographers will. The story is that we have a blimp in the sky, not that we're making nice film clips of the blimp all by ourself. Let the media film it themselves. That's their job.

Thank you for agreeing with me :)

tangent4ronpaul
12-03-2007, 02:56 AM
ATTN: TREVOR or anyone else involved with the organization of the blimp idea...

You have very little time (only a few days) to make these changes, or it will become too late. People are upset by what is taking place and I urge you to listen. I believe the plan I've set in place would work far greater than the current plan because my plan would piss off less people and they would be more willing to donate. The goal here is to put a f*cking Ron Paul blimp in the air, not to start a company with a full staff with full-time paying jobs. It was a good idea to avoid setting up a PAC and doing all of this privately, but this project has gone way overboard. You don't need 99% of the things you've listed in order to reach this goal.

I see that you have several volunteers on your staff. That is admirable, and I wish there was more of this taking place. All you had to do was ask for volunteers on these forums and your inbox would have been flooded with people who would actually be willing to take leave from their jobs for a week or two at a time and go help out with the blimp project. It could have been a truly grassroots effort, and it still can be!!!

PLEASE, I BEG OF YOU, listen to these words before it is too late!!!

I agree 100%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-n

tangent4ronpaul
12-03-2007, 02:59 AM

any of dozens of video documentary channels or C-SPAN would jump at the chance to do a documentary film of this to go out over cable. It would cost us NOTHING! (except a seat on the blimp)

-n

Maverick
12-03-2007, 03:01 AM
This is not the goverment. We aren't used manditory tax dollars. We are using donations. MOVE ON!

You are certainly correct, and that is exactly the reason why I think you might want to consider listening to these proposals. You are not receiving mandatory funding, which means that everyone involved in this project should do everything they can to provide the community with the best service they can, for the best price they can, or I can guarantee you that you won't see the money coming in.

Second_Tier_My_Ass
12-03-2007, 03:10 AM
Keep in mind folks, our first goal is to get it paid for and in the air on the way to Boston. To do this we should not already be paying several salaries when many of them aren't even doing anything yet (videographers, webmaster, etc.) Once we're airborne and we've gotten the hang of this situation and we feel confident that the donations will keep coming in steadily, MAYBE then we can start adding more positions, but never more than one or two at a time.

BlueGecko
12-03-2007, 03:14 AM
I agree that many of these positions due not have to exist. Webmaster ? There are computer geniuses on these boards. Or if yea really need to pay for construction and maintenance by hour not by 1000 a week, that is a huge amount of money for regular maintenance for a site of this size.
If we don't need a manager, we sure as hell don't need an assistant manager. Cut.

Volunteer? Sounds great!

Katherine

Joel is great
Katherine is awesome!!!!

If you need people POST only after is is found no one is available offer paid positions and by the way 1000 a week for a cameraman? If if they do great edits/ videos that is alot. My friend with USC degree in film and 4 years experience will do jobs cheaper than that. Look for RP supporters, TREVOR remember how everyone was excited that the blimp owner was a supporter and gave u a deal. Apply that towards workers, first volunteers, then RP supporters who will discount their services. Last full paid positions, and with those think contract work not full time employees.

Whats next ?
Secretaries and dental plans

Please everyone wants this to fly and it is already out in media

alexpasch
12-03-2007, 03:17 AM
I just had a funny thought that exemplifies how bloated this project is when it comes to employees.

I work for a private equity firm with over 500 million dollars under management. So we oversee 500 million dollars worth of investments in middle market firms (this includes looking for investments, analyzing potential opportunities, managing portfolio companies, exiting investments, sourcing capital, etc.).

How many employees does my firm have? TWELVE

Simply put, this blimp project does not need all these paid positions. Trim the fat....NOW

vodalian
12-03-2007, 03:22 AM
How would Ron Paul run this blimp project? My guess is he wouldn't. He's MUCH smarter than that. Imagine if the money that's going into people's pockets from this went into organizing rallies?

BrianK
12-03-2007, 03:28 AM
Elijah and Trevor have an LLC now right? Take out a loan to ENSURE the blimp flies for the bare 1 month minimum. Continue to collect the ad Revenue and if it goes over what is needed we have the extra X amount of time after repayment of the loan. This ensures that the blimp gets up there promoting not only Ron Paul but their new company.

It's a risk for them, I know, but aren't all startups risky ventures.

Plus if they come up short on the amount it can be paid off over time with that big fat book deal I would certainly hope Trevor gets once the dust settles.
(I'm not angry, just green with envy that they thought up what amounts to the dream job and had the vision to see it through)

tangent4ronpaul
12-03-2007, 03:38 AM
I agree that many of these positions due not have to exist. Webmaster ? There are computer geniuses on these boards. Or if yea really need to pay for construction and maintenance by hour not by 1000 a week, that is a huge amount of money for regular maintenance for a site of this size.

Volunteer? Sounds great!

Katherine

Joel is great
Katherine is awesome!!!!

If you need people POST only after is is found no one is available offer paid positions and by the way 1000 a week for a cameraman? If if they do great edits/ videos that is alot. My friend with USC degree in film and 4 years experience will do jobs cheaper than that. Look for RP supporters, TREVOR remember how everyone was excited that the blimp owner was a supporter and gave u a deal. Apply that towards workers, first volunteers, then RP supporters who will discount their services. Last full paid positions, and with those think contract work not full time employees.

Whats next ?
Secretaries and dental plans

Please everyone wants this to fly and it is already out in media

Whoa! - BlueGecko - it really is a small world if you are the same person I'm thinking of.

Yeah - I agree 100% - lets get rid of all these damb paid positions.

btw: I do know that the campaign maintains a list of lawyers that have contacted them - over 70 of them, that have said they would work pro-bono. 10K retainer and $500hr - what BS!

-n

OferNave
12-03-2007, 04:54 AM
Hey - a blimp project representative has started a thread, and is answering all questions:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=46258

Constantinople
12-03-2007, 05:52 AM
I think Ron Paul would run it by taking out a LOAN that way the entrepreneurs would bear the costs associated with failure, and would be rightly entitled to their success rather than spending other people's DONATED money.

That's the free market, if the RonPaulBlimp can only manage a 1% profit margin as mentioned in another thread it shouldn't be flying as a for profit venture.

BrianK
12-03-2007, 06:00 AM
I think Ron Paul would run it by taking out a LOAN that way the entrepreneurs would bear the costs associated with failure, and would be rightly entitled to their success rather than spending other people's DONATED money.

That's the free market, if the RonPaulBlimp can only manage a 1% profit margin as mentioned in another thread it shouldn't be flying as a for profit venture.

Exactly. Plus (and I reeaaaaly hate to say this) As an LLC Trevor and Elijah aren't responsible personally for the corporate debt. If they take out the loan and then fail to raise to cover it and then keep it going, then the business goes belly up but at least the blimp flew.

Onyx
12-03-2007, 10:57 AM
I really like the idea of a blimp, but you don't need all the bells and whistles like they've proposed.

FreeTraveler
12-03-2007, 11:02 AM
Ron Paul would start a competing project if he didn't like what was offered. He supports the free market, remember?

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=46360

szczebrzeszyn
12-03-2007, 11:32 AM
Elijah Lynn - Individual who got momentum for this project going and made arrangements with fellow Ron Paul supporter.
$1,000/week

OK, but what is his job??? I don't care what he did in the past. What are we going to PAY HIM to do??? Seems to me he doesn't even have a job, so this position is easily cut.
His job is Company Vice President ;)

LFOD
12-03-2007, 11:48 AM
I agree with the suggestions. Slash the bloat, guarantee refunds IN FULL - not "minus expenses" (which means what, exactly?) - if the blimp doesn't fly, and this thing might have a chance to rebuild the goodwill that has been lost, and get the money in time.

fletcher
12-03-2007, 12:27 PM
They're not going to cut these positions. That is the whole purpose of their operation. This is about money, not the blimp, not Ron Paul. If they cared for anything besides money they would have stepped aside and let the people who offered to do it for free run it. This blimp has become a Hindenburg.