PDA

View Full Version : Oregon To Roll Out 'Mileage Fee' Trial Run with 5000 participants

AuH20
11-03-2014, 10:58 AM
State says gas tax doesn't provide enough revenue to maintain special interests, err roads. It also sounds very Agenda 21ish to me.

http://koin.com/2014/10/27/odot-to-roll-out-mileage-fee-plan-test/

DOT is moving ahead with the road use fee to replace the gasoline tax. As cars get more fuel efficient, gas tax revenue is going down, and the state is looking for better ways to pay for keeping the roads in good shape.

Drivers pay 30-cents per gallon in gas taxes every time they stop to fill up. That adds up to hundreds of millions of dollars per year. But ODOT said that’s not enough to maintain the roads.

Two pilot programs were undertaken, each with electronic devices attached to cars to calculate how many miles a driver travels. A driver will then get a bill at the end of the month, and then a refund of the gas tax.

The fee — 1.5 cents a mile — will roll out July 1, 2015 through 5,000 volunteer participants. ODOT and the volunteers will see how it works, and then the Oregon legislature will decide when it will be expanded to the rest of the state’s drivers.

Michelle Godfrey with ODOT said it’s not necessarily a disincentive for people who buy fuel-efficient cars.

jbauer
11-03-2014, 11:13 AM
Washington and Minnesota are right behind them.

TheTexan
11-03-2014, 11:16 AM
Wow is this for real??

If it is, very cool! I love technology and how its making our lives better! I hope these devices also report GPS tracking information!

Anti Federalist
11-03-2014, 11:23 AM
Michelle Godfrey with ODOT said it’s not necessarily a disincentive for people who buy fuel-efficient cars.

No, of course it isn't.

It's to get Big Brother riding along with you.

At least until the self driving cars come online, which will be under total government surveillance.

If Theye were concerned about the tax revenue, you could simply raise the gas tax, which would "nudge" conservation and still be based on how much you drive.

This has nothing at all to do with any of that.

This is the way to get the surveillance state watching everywhere you go.

Freedom.

Anti Federalist
11-03-2014, 11:26 AM
Two pilot programs were undertaken, each with electronic devices attached to cars to calculate how many miles a driver travels. A driver will then get a bill at the end of the month, and then a refund of the gas tax.

Why?

Why not just take an odometer reading at the 1 and end of the month?

Why "refund" the gas tax?

Why add all this complication?

Because this is about surveillance, not about gas taxes.

And the people will fall all over themselves to comply.

Liberty...

AuH20
11-03-2014, 11:27 AM
Why?

Liberty...

It has more to do with relocating those bothersome rural folk to the urban prisons. This creates a disincentive to drive. If anyone thinks that this will stay at 1.5 cent per mile, then I have a bridge to sell you.

Anti Federalist
11-03-2014, 11:32 AM
It has more to do with relocating those bothersome rural folk to the urban prisons. This creates a disincentive to drive. If anyone thinks that this will stay at 1.5 cent per mile, then I have a bridge to sell you.

Yes, that is part of this as well.

Cost per mile, even in a super-econo-box, will be prohibitive.

And there will be no "unauthorized" driving because...the car is under surveillance.

And this goes here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uukZgfHZIoc

presence
11-03-2014, 11:35 AM
What a bunch of bullshit.

Drivers pay 30-cents per gallon in gas taxes every time they stop to fill up. That adds up to hundreds of millions of dollars per year. But ODOT said that’s not enough to maintain the roads.

Its unfathomable how a program requiring massive influx of technology would be more cost effective than simply raising the cents per gallon as needed to cover the cost of maintaining the roads.

or B

http://media.giphy.com/media/2YOp8WqFDRHhe/giphy.gif

stop paying DOT people to pick their ass on tax payer money

This is a fucking RACKET to sell GPS devices to the public sector and another invasion of the surveillance state.

tangent4ronpaul
11-03-2014, 11:40 AM
The fee — 1.5 cents a mile — will roll out July 1, 2015

So if I get 30mpg I was paying 30 cents a gal, but now I get to pau 45 cents a gal - WHAT A DEAL!

through 5,000 volunteer participants.

Do we still do lobotomies in this country? I know of 5,000 volunteers in desperate need of one!

And you do know this will drive the cost of everything up. Everything!

-t

AuH20
11-03-2014, 11:41 AM

Its unfathomable how a program requiring massive influx of technology would be more cost effective than simply raising the cents per gallon as needed to cover the cost of maintaining the roads.

or B

This is a fucking RACKET to sell GPS devices to the public sector and another invasion of the surveillance state.

The residents in Oregon are basically Californians via proxy. Don't expect much salvation from them. This is an absolutely crazy initiative. It has very little to do with environmentalism but with control and revenue.

TheTexan
11-03-2014, 11:44 AM
The fee — 1.5 cents a mile — will roll out July 1, 2015 through 5,000 volunteer participants.

Where do I sign up??!

Anti Federalist
11-03-2014, 11:49 AM
Do we still do lobotomies in this country? I know of 5,000 volunteers in desperate need of one!

And you do know this will drive the cost of everything up. Everything!

-t

As the wheels fall off, you will be amazed what these folks will acquiesce to.

tangent4ronpaul
11-03-2014, 11:50 AM

or B

I think our local HWY workers have some rule in their union contract that out of a 15 man crew, no more than 1 can work at any given time...

-t

jbauer
11-03-2014, 11:52 AM
Where do I sign up??!

your nearest fema camp

Danke
11-03-2014, 12:39 PM
Wow is this for real??

If it is, very cool! I love technology and how its making our lives better! I hope these devices also report GPS tracking information!

This is truly a fair tax. They need to include bicyclists.

jbauer
11-03-2014, 01:28 PM

pff, and people that walk. Runners, Amish, swimmers. Lets get them all. Not to mention just think of the technological advances we'd have if your govenment knew EVERYTHING about you!!!

euphemia
11-03-2014, 01:33 PM
It's not a fair tax, either. A family of six traveling on vacation is less expensive per mile than some regional sales guy who drives all around for work.

puppetmaster
11-03-2014, 02:21 PM
Why?

Liberty... it is also about tax. This is one of the main hold backs for advances in technology for fuel efficient cars. Hydrogen cars etc. The government makes an ungodly amount of money off of these taxes. They will be monitoring us soon in our vehicle

Brian4Liberty
11-03-2014, 02:46 PM
Thank God! This will streamline government in so many ways. No more need for government agents to attach tracking devices to cars. No more need for pesky court orders or warrants.

Spikender
11-03-2014, 02:56 PM
Where is "muh_roads" when you need him?

devil21
11-03-2014, 03:14 PM
Anyone else notice there's been about 40 million car 'airbag recalls' over the last year, covering all makes, models and mostly older years?

morfeeis
11-03-2014, 03:56 PM
I keep reading stories like this and expect to see "and then the people rioted", but no, not once, not yet. I would also like to know if those 5,000 people are government employees and are being paid to be a part of the "program"...

Dr.3D
11-03-2014, 04:17 PM
So the guy with the ten gallon per mile car only drives a few miles and burns the same amount of fuel as the other guy who has a sixty mile per gallon car and the guy with the sixty mile per gallon car ends up getting screwed because he has a fuel efficient vehicle. Guess they won't have to worry about people wanting to buy more fuel efficient vehicles.

tangent4ronpaul
11-03-2014, 04:23 PM

It's trickle down taxation. Costs more to get food to your table, so prices rise, so it costs more to power your bicycle. The bicyclists should be revolting and demanding a kick back of carbon emission credits though. Well, unless they had re-fried beans and beer for lunch... :D

-t

tangent4ronpaul
11-03-2014, 04:26 PM
So the guy with the ten gallon per mile car only drives a few miles and burns the same amount of fuel as the other guy who has a sixty mile per gallon car and the guy with the sixty mile per gallon car ends up getting screwed because he has a fuel efficient vehicle. Guess they won't have to worry about people wanting to buy more fuel efficient vehicles.

Have you seen the stuff DHS drives? Must have the gas mileage of a M1 Tank!

Do as I say, not as I do!

Oh yeah - officer safety and some animals are more equal than others....

-t

Yes Martha - Bearcat K9 units exist. Armored tanks for a dog kennel on wheels... :rolleyes:

Anti Federalist
11-03-2014, 06:02 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=A58DB5Xhw5Y

nobody's_hero
11-04-2014, 07:34 AM
First it is optional. Then it becomes mandatory. Such is the pattern.

If they were really serious about road maintenance, it would be weight based, not distance based.

I can drive 10 miles on a motorcycle and probably do less wear on the road surface than an Rambo-SWAT Cowboy squad's MRAP traveling 10 feet.

Feelgood
11-04-2014, 10:08 AM
I would be more upset if they actually find 5,000 people to "volunteer" for something like this.

Root
11-04-2014, 10:12 AM
How do they differentiate between miles driven in-state vs. in another state?

morfeeis
11-05-2014, 10:44 AM
How do they differentiate between miles driven in-state vs. in another state?

Why do you think they care? i'd be willing to bet that they will have GPS that could and would track your every movement and even with that data they would still charge you for out of state driving.

Occam's Banana
11-05-2014, 12:00 PM
ODOT and the volunteers will see how it works, and then the Oregon legislature will decide when it will be expanded to the rest of the state’s drivers.

Note the use of "when" (not "if") ...

Foregone conclusion is forgone.

Anti Federalist
11-05-2014, 01:38 PM
Note the use of "when" (not "if") ...

Foregone conclusion is forgone.

Yup, it's coming.

Root
11-05-2014, 02:01 PM
Why do you think they care? i'd be willing to bet that they will have GPS that could and would track your every movement and even with that data they would still charge you for out of state driving.
I don't think anyone (government or the people using these things) do care. As someone who often drives out of my state of residence, it's just the first thing that came to my mind.