PDA

View Full Version : Democrats: Vote or we’ll kick your a**

Brian4Liberty
11-01-2014, 12:56 PM
Democrats: Vote or we’ll kick your a** (http://nypost.com/2014/10/30/democrats-threaten-voters-to-get-to-the-polls/)
By Carl Campanile and Natalie O'Neill - October 30, 2014

Democrats are telling voters that they had better head to the polls — or else.

The New York State Democratic Committee is bullying people into voting next week with intimidating letters warning that it can easily find out which slackers fail to cast a ballot next Tuesday.

“Who you vote for is your secret. But whether or not you vote is public record,” the letter says.

“We will be reviewing voting records . . . to determine whether you joined your neighbors who voted in 2014.”

It ends with a line better suited to a mob movie than a major political party: “If you do not vote this year, we will be interested to hear why not.”

The letter and accompanying post card was criticized even by party members, with one Democratic consultant saying it was the wrong way to inspire votes.

“It’s a threatening letter. It’s a scare piece that is unnecessary and inappropriate,” the insider said.

Brooklyn and Manhattan residents who received the note Wednesday were furious, calling it an attempt to browbeat them into showing up at the polls.

“I’m outraged. Whether I vote or not is none of your business!” said a Manhattan voter, who was so incensed that she complained to a local Democratic leader.

“The letter is ludicrous and menacing,” said the voter, who requested anonymity.

The woman also received a report card of her voting record, pointing out that she had failed to vote in two of the last four elections.

Overall, the notices were sent out to 1 million registered Democrats who had failed to vote in previous midterm elections, according to the group.

The committee — chaired by former Gov. David Paterson — defended the scare tactic, calling it standard practice throughout the country.
Such attempts to shame people to vote — what politicos call “social pressure” or peer pressure — has become more common place and was used by the Obama campaign in 2012, sources said.

A Yale University study in 2008 found that voter participation increased substantially after lazy voters received letters telling them their spotty voting history was a public record that would be scrutinized.
More: http://nypost.com/2014/10/30/democrats-threaten-voters-to-get-to-the-polls/

pessimist
11-01-2014, 01:05 PM
How else are they going to get a bunch of pot smoking layabout hippies to the polls?

Dr.3D
11-01-2014, 01:08 PM
Humm... maybe that will persuade many of them to actually go down and vote for a Republican. LOL

CPUd
11-01-2014, 09:44 PM
My cable is out, so I'm down at the rec center watching people swim in the pool.

Brian4Liberty
11-01-2014, 09:49 PM
My cable is out, so I'm down at the rec center watching people swim in the pool.

You watch too much TV...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiDOJ_LPvDo

2young2vote
11-01-2014, 11:30 PM
How else are they going to get a bunch of pot smoking layabout hippies to the polls?

Ron Paul knows how.

JK/SEA
11-02-2014, 09:36 AM
Ron Paul knows how.

yep..pot smokin' hippy here. And damn if i didn't become a State Delegate for Ron in 2008...of course my hair was short, and i didn't hit the chronic till the convention was over, but i digress...

Anti Federalist
11-02-2014, 04:13 PM
I'm old enough to remember how the DDR and USSR used to brag about how they had such high "voter turnouts".

https://theconservativetreehouse.files.wordpress.com/2014/10/democrat-voter-threats.jpg

Acala
11-02-2014, 04:23 PM
Low voter turnout undermines the illusion of choice needed to keep the sheep in the pen.

Danke
11-02-2014, 04:25 PM
Reminds me of this commercial: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8aD5VIGBkew

nobody's_hero
11-02-2014, 04:28 PM
The GOP is doing this too, in GA.

It's definitely that bi-annual time of the year for the over-seers to start herding the sheeple closer to the plantation's slave quarters. Don't be wandering so close to the property lines now. Get'on back here, ya' hear? Your vote belongs to us and don't you ever forget about that.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=561300940667847&set=a.203686433095968.48864.100003638386213&type=1&fref=nf&pnref=story

"Those who did not vote in 2012 handed Barack Obama the election"

Suzanimal
11-03-2014, 04:38 AM
Author of Democrats’ ‘threatening’ letter identified

The menacing letter sent out to a million New York Democrats to bully them into voting was written by a top campaign strategist who was appointed by Gov. Cuomo himself, sources told The Post.

The revelation comes as a “circular firing squad” of finger-pointing has erupted over who is responsible for the letter, which was sent out last week by the New York State Democratic Committee and caused “panic” in the Cuomo camp, sources said.

The letter warned voters that the party would be keeping tabs on who goes to the polls on Tuesday.
“Who you vote for is your secret. But whether or not you vote is public record,” the letter says.
“We will be reviewing voting records . . . to determine whether you joined your neighbors who voted in 2014.”
It ends with the ominous line: “If you do not vote this year, we will be interested to hear why not.”

Neal Kwatra, appointed by Cuomo to be the state Democratic Party’s chief campaign strategist, was identified by two key Democratic insiders as the “author” of the mailer.

“It was the brainchild of Neal Kwatra,” said one of the insiders. “He wrote the letter and sent it out, and now other Cuomo people are trying to distance themselves from it.”

The intimidating letter has caused friction inside the Democratic campaign just days before Cuomo faces off against Republican Rob Astorino at the polls.
“There’s infighting going on, a definite circular firing squad over the mailer and a sense of panic over it in Cuomo’s camp right now,” the insider continued.

The governor claimed on Friday that he was not aware of the campaign mailer.

But a senior Democrat called Cuomo’s claim “laughable” and noted, “Nothing like this could possibly be done without Andrew’s OK.”
Kwatra gave a weak defense of the letter over social media, comparing it to a Republican letter being used in a Senate campaign in North Carolina.
The North Carolina letter, however, simply informed voters that their neighbors have voted early while they have not.

The New York letter told recipients that state Democrats knew they hadn’t voted in the past, that their voting records were public and that they were under scrutiny.

A nationally prominent New York-based Republican pollster strongly denied that such threatening letters had become common in politics.
“I’ve never seen anything like that letter in my life. It’s outrageous, and it’s creepy,” said James McLaughlin, a partner in McLaugh¬lin & Associates, which works for Astorino.

“This sounds like the Democrats are saying, ‘We’re watching you, and if you don’t turn out to vote, the brown shirts are going to be knocking at your door.’ ”

Many Democrats are furious that Cuomo and his campaign operatives, including party spokesman Peter Kauffmann, claimed the letter was merely part of a “nationwide Democratic response to traditional Republican voter-suppression efforts.’’

“That’s laughable,” a prominent party activist involved in national Democratic campaign efforts told The Post.
“No one I know at the Democratic National Committee has ever seen anything like this letter, and it’s an act of cowardice to say that it’s part of a coordinated effort.”

Several Democrats told The Post the letter was part of Cuomo’s effort to turn out a larger Democratic vote amid widespread concerns of voter apathy.
Meanwhile, the Staten Island Republican Party said Sunday that it was flooded with phone calls from people who were scared that their ballots would be tampered with because they are registered Democrats.

“Some senior citizens are worried that their absentee ballots may be at risk because they cast their votes for Republicans,” said the borough’s Republican chairman, John Antoniello.

“They feel like Big Brother may be watching them. It’s the absolute wrong way to win elections.”

http://nypost.com/2014/11/03/author-of-democrats-threatening-letter-identified/

Here's a copy of a letter from NC DNC, same language.

http://i.imgur.com/cM4kf6J.png

Occam's Banana
11-03-2014, 08:39 AM
“They feel like Big Brother may be watching them. It’s the absolute wrong way to win elections.”

Au contraire. It's an excellent way to win elections.

If it wasn't, Big Brother wouldn't be interested in watching ...

Ronin Truth
11-03-2014, 10:19 AM
Deregister and they eventually forget about you.

Anti Federalist
11-03-2014, 10:35 AM
And now, in CT:

I Know What You Did Last November

http://courantblogs.com/colin-mcenroe/i-know-what-you-did-last-november/

Just when you thought this campaign season couldn’t sink any lower or become any more repulsive, the Connecticut Democrats have found a new crack they can slither down into.

Connecticut voters have been receiving mail pieces — three different ones to this address — in which the addressee’s pattern of showing up to vote is listed, apparently just to prove that the people sending the mail know which elections you voted in. The most disgusting of the three — sent by the state central committee of the Connecticut Democrats — also lists two other people from your street, with data about whether they voted in the last three elections. Their names and street numbers are redacted. “While we have hidden the name and street number of your neighbors so as not to embarrass them, these are their true voting records,” says the mailing.

The tone of the mailings is chilling, like something you’d get from Stasi in East Berlin in 1967. “Who you vote for is private, but whether or not you vote is public record,” it says.

And then: “We will be reviewing these records after the election to determine whether or not you joined your neighbor in voting.” Oh you will, will you?

Two of these undeniably menacing communications came from Democratic state central. The third came from a national, Democratic-leaning group called America Votes. It’s nearly identical to the others. But here is the darkly hilarious difference: this mailer is addressed to one person but then contains the voting record of a different man, named Irving, who lives several blocks away (I looked him up). So we now know which elections Irving voted in. Someone familiar with direct mail told me this usually means there’s been a widespread address-system problem: that Irving accidentally got Tony Smith’s voting records, and Tony got Nancy Jones’s voting records and so on.

So this tactic — despicable on its face — has been made even worse through incompetence.

Imagine that you were a recently naturalized citizen or an older person who feels a little shaky and vulnerable. How would this make you feel?

The higher-ups who signed off on this should come forward and resign immediately. It has no place in the politics of Connecticut. It’s intimidation. You know, the kind of thing we think happens somewhere else.

The Democrats may win most of their state elections this time — largely due to inadequate opponents — but the party needs a housecleaning after this. I got tired of their bullying tactics a long time ago. I wouldn’t support their candidates in future cycles if this is who they really are.

AuH20
11-03-2014, 10:38 AM
I think we know who needs the good ass kicking here.

Anti Federalist
11-03-2014, 10:39 AM
The Four-Paragraph Letter a Musician Got in the Mail That He Says Shows the ‘Democrats Just Threatened Me’

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/10/31/the-four-paragraph-letter-a-musician-got-in-the-mail-that-he-says-shows-the-democrats-just-threatened-me/

Jonathan Coulton, a Brooklyn-based musician according to his verified Twitter account, posted a photo of a letter Thursday night with the caption: “I think the Democrats just threatened me.”

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B1O8KtvIAAAsICz.jpg:large

Anti Federalist
11-03-2014, 10:43 AM
Now, see, citizens, this could all be avoided, all these ugly letters you make us send, if you guys would just vote harder!

C'mon, you can do it!!

For the HomeLand!!!

AuH20
11-03-2014, 10:44 AM
Now, see, citizens, this could all be avoided, all these ugly letters you make us send, if you guys would just vote harder!

C'mon, you can do it!!

For the HomeLand!!!

When the chips are down, the masks get removed.

nobody's_hero
11-03-2014, 04:08 PM
Deregister and they eventually forget about you.

lol.

"Our records indicate that you have recently deregistered. Enclosed in this letter you will find a cyanide capsule. I think you know what must be done, comrade."

euphemia
11-03-2014, 04:23 PM
I wonder how many media outlets have had calls from citizens?

r3volution 3.0
11-03-2014, 05:06 PM
Low voter turnout undermines the illusion of choice needed to keep the sheep in the pen.

I don't think that's the reason for all the GOTV efforts.

The more well informed a person, the more likely he is to vote; and the less well informed a person, the less likely he is to vote (because how much you know generally correlates with how much you care). This is why low turnout elections often yield better results. Compare Ron's popular vote totals in caucus states versus primary states - he did much better in the caucuses because turnout tends to be lower in caucuses (presumably because voting in that system requires more effort and discourages the lazy). Likewise with midterms versus Presidential elections.

Neither party really wants informed voters deciding the outcome, so they scour the countryside for idiots to dilute their vote.

Never thought about politics?

Don't know who's running?

Can't locate the United States on a map of the United States?

Don't worry, just vote, for anybody!

It's your right!

....this is also why the franchise has been gradually extended from propertied older men in the 18th century to anybody with a pulse today.

Occam's Banana
11-03-2014, 07:35 PM
The higher-ups who signed off on this should come forward and resign immediately. It has no place in the politics of Connecticut. It’s intimidation. You know, the kind of thing we think happens somewhere else.

"This kind of thing has no place in politics. It's intimidation."

I LOL'ed.

I guess it's only politicians "somewhere else" who say things like:
- "Pay the taxes we impose on you - or else we'll sic the IRS on you," or
- "Don't smoke this plant - or else we'll lock you up in a rape cage," or
- "Support our wars and give up you liberties - or else Mr. Mooslum Terrist is gonna come 'n' get'cha" ...

Danke
11-03-2014, 09:26 PM
lol.

"Our records indicate that you have recently deregistered. Enclosed in this letter you will find a cyanide capsule. I think you know what must be done, comrade."

No it is true, I did it after the 2008 elections.

nobody's_hero
11-04-2014, 07:19 AM
I don't think that's the reason for all the GOTV efforts.

The more well informed a person, the more likely he is to vote; and the less well informed a person, the less likely he is to vote (because how much you know generally correlates with how much you care). This is why low turnout elections often yield better results. Compare Ron's popular vote totals in caucus states versus primary states - he did much better in the caucuses because turnout tends to be lower in caucuses (presumably because voting in that system requires more effort and discourages the lazy). Likewise with midterms versus Presidential elections.

Neither party really wants informed voters deciding the outcome, so they scour the countryside for idiots to dilute their vote.

Never thought about politics?

Don't know who's running?

Can't locate the United States on a map of the United States?

Don't worry, just vote, for anybody!

It's your right!

....this is also why the franchise has been gradually extended from propertied older men in the 18th century to anybody with a pulse today.

I definitely agree with this. GA doesn't have a caucus and we got stomped. Smaller states with caucus systems did much better for Ron Paul. Caucus systems definitely weed out the lazy from the committed.

My advice to anyone living in a caucus state is to fight tooth-and-nail to ensure that it never turns into a primary voting state.