PDA

View Full Version : Ambassadors for Ron Paul. Your behaviour matters.

Scott Wilson
12-03-2007, 01:43 AM
I speak to a lot of people in their homes every day due to the service business I am involved with. I am also pretty active in campaigning for Ron Paul in my local area.

I often get the feedback from people who are not too familiar with the campaign that they think that Ron Paul is a bit crazy. When I ask them why this is so, many will point at the campaign supporters and how brash, rude and confronting many of them can be. Several have also mentioned how they have done some research online and have become unsettled due to the spamming and abusive behaviour of many Ron Paul supporters.

Now I know a lot of local Ron Paul supporters, and they are polite and eloquent people. I believe it is the same for the majority of Ron Paul supporters whether they utilise the internet or not. Yet there is a noisy minority who are tarnishing Ron Paul's image by their behaviour.

Take a look at the Ron Paul spam in many youtube video comments, even in videos which have nothing to do with politics or freedom. Many internet forums are experiencing the same thing. Examples of sticking signs in peoples faces or surrounding them when they are out walking (the post about Mr. Guliani) does not shine the campaign in a good light.

This behaviour is shameful, it is childish, and it is destructive. I also fear it is going to cost Ron Paul the nomination as it is turning many people against the Ron Paul campaign. People who might otherwise, with some careful nurturing, have listened more and ended up supporting Dr. Paul for President.

"Arrogance will bring your downfall, but if you are humble, you will be respected." Proverbs 29:23

note: If one of the administrators of this forum would write a similar message (or use mine) and display it prominently in these forums I believe it would help reign in this behaviour. We need to address this issue in a timely manner before it is too late.

1town
12-03-2007, 01:52 AM
Hear Hear

Dequeant
12-03-2007, 02:00 AM
+1.

I will vote for Ron Paul regardless, but some of the people i call fellow "supporters" really make me ashamed to be associated with them.

Ask yourselves when you get into these situations.....what would Ron Paul do?

Cardinal Red
12-03-2007, 02:00 AM
It is so tragic that the 90+ percent of people here who are classy and respectful ambassadors for Dr. Paul have their work ruined by a few malcontents who are so discourteous that not only are they rude to those outside the campaign (costing Dr. Paul precious votes) but they are even rude to the numerous people within the grassroots who ask them to consider the effects of their behavior.

We're trying to win an election-- every vote counts and we need to be courteous to everyone, whether or not they are supporters.

shortna
12-03-2007, 02:05 AM
Ever since I placed two Ron Paul stickers on my truck, I make sure that I am a courtesy driver every time I get in the truck. This is the kind of mindset that wins respects and votes.

GoRon2008
12-03-2007, 02:08 AM
Hey guys, this is my first post.

I just felt like I had something to say here.

First, you got to expect this. When you call something a revolution you got to look at what it will eventually turn into.

I think a good majority of Paul supporters are supportive because they are sick of this government. Some are sick because they think that the government is corrupt. Some have been pushed to the edge for whatever reason. ALLOT feel this is our LAST hope to do something.

There is going to be allot of emotion here. Its only going to get worse. I know you guys don't like referring to this but, it reminds me of the movie V for Vendetta...

No revolution comes quetly. We are going to TAKE our country back, not sit quietly in the background with signs and hope they give it to us because we are respectful. You know that won't happen.

Hope I don't offend anyone, just my opinion.

Corydoras
12-03-2007, 02:18 AM
These people doubtless have brought more government attention to us all than would necessarily have been the case. That's what most ticks me off about them. Sure, we $200+ contributors are literally all on government (FEC) lists already, but the verbally violent people are the ones who are going to bring extra law enforcement surveillance down on all of us, beyond what we already would be getting.

Magsec
12-03-2007, 02:19 AM
I've always wondered, I'm a "crazy" driver, and most people probably have the smarts to notice it. Should I take off my bumper sticker? I mean, people are seeing a sedan flying around the parking garage with a RP sticker on it, might turn them off lol.

Dequeant
12-03-2007, 02:24 AM
We are going to TAKE our country back, not sit quietly in the background with signs and hope they give it to us because we are respectful. You know that won't happen.

That's the mindset of the people scaring off voters from Ron Paul. You aren't going to take anything back without votes, so THAT should be your priority. This mindset costs us more votes than it gives us, and if it's yours, you'd honestly do more good for the campaign if you just didn't go to rallys, meetups, debates, or functions, and just donated and voted when it counts.

Leave the campaigning to people with social skills who have the intellectual capacity to convince others to join, instead of scaring them away.

Try to change your mindset to:

"I have to make this person remember me for something good, so they wonder who this Ron Paul guy i'm supporting is."

The time for "TAKING" the country back will come only if he loses.

Stealth
12-03-2007, 03:11 AM
I wouldn't have found out about Ron Paul when I did if it wasn't for all the Ron Paul spam. I would've dismissed it if he was only mentioned a few times.

GoRon2008
12-03-2007, 03:17 AM
Hey, I wasn't saying I do this. I have only talked to a few people about Ron Paul in person and it is only friends.

Im just saying, I can see how people get emotional about this. I agree, it doesn't look good.

Alan84
12-03-2007, 03:44 AM
I agree with the topic. I've seen too many rude comments on places like youtube and besides the obvious things that make us look bad, there are other things that still cross the line. Like raiding another candidates rally and essentially force him to quit the rally that he wanted with his own supporters. And I don't care how much you dislike the other candidate or how much you disagree.

jrich4rpaul
12-03-2007, 05:39 AM
I speak to a lot of people in their homes every day due to the service business I am involved with. I am also pretty active in campaigning for Ron Paul in my local area.

I often get the feedback from people who are not too familiar with the campaign that they think that Ron Paul is a bit crazy. When I ask them why this is so, many will point at the campaign supporters and how brash, rude and confronting many of them can be. Several have also mentioned how they have done some research online and have become unsettled due to the spamming and abusive behaviour of many Ron Paul supporters.

Now I know a lot of local Ron Paul supporters, and they are polite and eloquent people. I believe it is the same for the majority of Ron Paul supporters whether they utilise the internet or not. Yet there is a noisy minority who are tarnishing Ron Paul's image by their behaviour.

Take a look at the Ron Paul spam in many youtube video comments, even in videos which have nothing to do with politics or freedom. Many internet forums are experiencing the same thing. Examples of sticking signs in peoples faces or surrounding them when they are out walking (the post about Mr. Guliani) does not shine the campaign in a good light.

This behaviour is shameful, it is childish, and it is destructive. I also fear it is going to cost Ron Paul the nomination as it is turning many people against the Ron Paul campaign. People who might otherwise, with some careful nurturing, have listened more and ended up supporting Dr. Paul for President.

"Arrogance will bring your downfall, but if you are humble, you will be respected." Proverbs 29:23

note: If one of the administrators of this forum would write a similar message (or use mine) and display it prominently in these forums I believe it would help reign in this behaviour. We need to address this issue in a timely manner before it is too late.

Best post ever.

Godbag
12-03-2007, 06:00 AM
I agree that we must be the better man when it comes to campaigning, but this is a fight, and in a fight you dont just stand there and take all the punches whilst only fighting back with calm, rational dialogue... sometimes you need to throw a few punches yourself, BUT ONLY WHEN ITS APPROPRIATE! I really dont mind if there is a crowd of Ron Paul supporters shouting Ron Paul at Guiliani, i think its hilarious, and definetly off-putting for him(besides the only people who go to Guiliani or Romney events are the hardcore supporters who believe everything they're told...)... I draw the line at pro-actively going out your way to piss off other canditates supporters, or non-supporters.. Obscene YouTube comments, aggressively argueing against someone who does not agree with your point of view, and personal attacks are completely innapropriate and are in no way a part of the Ron Paul campaign.. The people who do this do not truly support Ron Paul and in reality are harming his campaign whether it is their intent or not.. they should be told this(for the benefit of others visiting that site), and then ignored...

rpfreedom08
12-03-2007, 06:33 AM
Ever since I placed two Ron Paul stickers on my truck, I make sure that I am a courtesy driver every time I get in the truck. This is the kind of mindset that wins respects and votes.

lol I did the same thing! too funny... Thought I was just being wierd.

Delain
12-03-2007, 06:45 AM
[...]

First, the word "Arrogance" is totally out of place here. Its not arrogance, its being on fire for what you believe in.

Second. If you want to refer to the bible I suggest you to read Mark 11:15. Jesus didn't ask the money changers politely to leave the temple, no, he smashed their tables and drove them out with a whip. I think even the most enthusiastic supporters are more peaceful in their ways.

Third. Go to the November 5th & 11th Donations Archive (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=180&order=desc&page=11) forums and start reading from the beginning. Read all the posts how such an offencive date, November the fifth, and the connections to Guy Fawkes or V for Vendetta couldn't possibly lead to success. Read all the Prophets how predicted a disaster.

Really. From where I'm standing you should commemorate each other for doing so well and having so many people on fire. You have any idea how rare this is? Why on earth some people want push the brakes is beyond me. If anything, encourage it or get out of the way. You don't want to be the one blaming yourself later on for trowing sand on the flames. Do you know what makes people think? Seeing other people really believing in something, being absolutely passionate and fervid about it, that makes them question!

JacobLyles
12-03-2007, 06:49 AM
I am always very careful to watch my manners when wearing Ron Paul gear. I even watch my language. I want to be the best representative I can for Dr. Paul.

BlueGecko
12-03-2007, 06:51 AM
Think about all those little grandmas that are more motivated to vote by the those nice young gentleman than a screaming mob

Slowly but surely bringing mine around but if she went to a RP rally she would probably have a heart attack

Man from La Mancha
12-03-2007, 06:57 AM
Hey guys, this is my first post.

I just felt like I had something to say here.

First, you got to expect this. When you call something a revolution you got to look at what it will eventually turn into.

I think a good majority of Paul supporters are supportive because they are sick of this government. Some are sick because they think that the government is corrupt. Some have been pushed to the edge for whatever reason. ALLOT feel this is our LAST hope to do something.

There is going to be allot of emotion here. Its only going to get worse. I know you guys don't like referring to this but, it reminds me of the movie V for Vendetta...

No revolution comes quetly. We are going to TAKE our country back, not sit quietly in the background with signs and hope they give it to us because we are respectful. You know that won't happen.

Hope I don't offend anyone, just my opinion.
Welcome aboard. If I recall at the end of V that all the people quietly marched on past the police and there was no violence, I would think that is a great example to set.

walt
12-03-2007, 06:57 AM

Yeah, people are really obeying the Constitution now with that tactic. NOT.

I do think that people should focus a little less on stuff like this now that Ron is getting press.

Then again, it starts with the main campaign, maybe they should respect the supporters in both thier actions and in execution of an actual winning campaign.

Delain
12-03-2007, 07:03 AM
Think about all those little grandmas that are more motivated to vote by the those nice young gentleman than a screaming mob

Slowly but surely bringing mine around but if she went to a RP rally she would probably have a heart attack

I'm not advocating that people must stop using their brain and start behave like caveman. :) I'm criticising the starting post for being judgemental and alarmist.

Our "Ron Paul" was shot in 2002, just before the election, and seeing how all the unleashed passion slowly died and the apathy returned was the most saddest thing ever. Don't be so "scared". Embrace it and encourage it where you can because you're going to need it. The real fight is yet to come.

ursamajor
12-03-2007, 07:38 AM
We should try to be as cordial as possible, but people should never vote for a candidate based on their/the media's impression of that candidate's supporters. Encourage them to research his positions. His arguements are too strong for demographics. This is why his 'base' is so diverse and, at times, at odds with itself.

stevedasbach
12-03-2007, 08:35 AM

+1

1town
12-03-2007, 08:46 AM

Quoted for truth in literal sense and metaphorical.

You are all wearing a bumpersticker in every situation, so ask yourself if you are representing Ron Paul they way he would want you to.

What Would Ron Paul Do? ;)

Adamsa
12-03-2007, 08:57 AM
A lot of older voters will be very alienated by these actions, must be careful.

gracemonger
12-03-2007, 09:09 AM
The media is focusing on his supporters behaviour to bring him down. How sad it will be if Ron is shut down because of us.

born2drv
12-03-2007, 09:10 AM
There are a lot of assholes supporting Fred Thompson, Duncan Hunter, Mike Huckabee, etc, online too.... if you can't find any just go to Hannity.com.

Percentage-wise we have no more abusive/rude supporters then they do, we just have way many more supporters. Next time someone brings that up why don't you mention this point.

paulitics
12-03-2007, 09:16 AM
People here think that shock and awe out there will win people over. We have a bad reputation, not because of anything the media did, but because of our actions.
We can't win a campaign like that. Lets promote the ideas of Ron Paul, lets educate the sleeping masses, and enough of this violent REVOLUTION, riots, and blood in the streets, image. It is scaring people, not winning over their hearts and minds.

For instance, this tea bag, stuffed envelope idea, will further ossify the notion that we are extremists, anarchists, kooks, dangerous. I'm sorry the time is not right yet, when 55% of American's want to NUKE Iran. Instead of most of the coverage being about Ron PAul and raising 10 million, its going to be about something else.

Why don't we think about what people out their want? Our enemy is the power elite, not some dumb public who has been brainwashed and taught to live in fear. Lets win them over, not scare them away. Just common sense you know.

Corydoras
12-03-2007, 11:22 AM
I've always wondered, I'm a "crazy" driver, and most people probably have the smarts to notice it. Should I take off my bumper sticker? I mean, people are seeing a sedan flying around the parking garage with a RP sticker on it, might turn them off lol.

Well, if you actually KNOW you are a "crazy" driver, then I think you should take off the RP sticker... YMMV.