PDA

View Full Version : Rand Paul: Master of Political Message-Switching

jct74
10-31-2014, 10:27 AM
Rand Paul: Master of Political Message-Switching
In his speeches, Paul shows how good he is at tailoring his message to fit his audience. But that could come back to bite him as he goes national.

BY EMMA ROLLER
October 24, 2014

Sen. Rand Paul is something of a political shape-shifter. That is not to say he's a hypocrite; what it does mean is that Paul is, perhaps singularly in the field of potential 2016 contenders, an expert at tailoring his message to the audience he is trying to win over.

Just review the speeches he's given to different crowds over the past year. You'll find that the tone remains consistent, along with a few catchphrases—"a man coming over the hill singing," e.g.—but the substance of his speeches varies almost completely.

Even his literary references run the gamut. Paul, who has been described as a "voracious reader," often quotes from novels in his speeches—a departure from the Bible-and-Founding-Fathers set of quotables that most politicians reheat in every speech. And it's pretty easy to figure out why he quotes what he does where he does.

When he spoke to black students at Howard University in the spring of 2013, Paul referenced the work of one of its most famous alumni.

"I take to heart the words of Toni Morrison of Howard University, who wrote: 'If there is a book you really want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it,'" Paul told the Howard audience. "I can recite books that have been written, or I can plunge into the arena and stumble and maybe fall, but at least I will have tried."

Speaking at the University of California, Berkeley in March, he quoted a passage from Ray Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451 to draw a parallel to surveillance by the National Security Agency.

read more:
http://www.nationaljournal.com/politics/rand-paul-master-of-political-message-switching-20141024

satchelmcqueen
11-01-2014, 11:08 AM
i said it back in 2007 when i first heard of rand and got to hear him speak. rand is the best at making a message good to hear for everyone listening without lying about it. he knows how to tell the blackest most end of days story, or predictions if things dont change, in such a way that it allows for the average masses of people to "get it" without turning them off.

ron was solid and firm and i understand why. i admire him for that. i loved everything ron said, and it caused me to study things more and seek new info always. but to the average person, ron lost some of them only because the average person is looking for a soothing message, without personal responsibility.

rand can say the same things ron did, yet come away with almost 100% support afterwards.

i am really looking forward to the debates. i know for a fact rand will destroy all of them on stage , and most of all destroy the moderators if they try to shit him out of equal time, or skip him like they did ron. this will be very good to watch.

economics102
11-01-2014, 07:10 PM
i am really looking forward to the debates. i know for a fact rand will destroy all of them on stage , and most of all destroy the moderators if they try to shit him out of equal time, or skip him like they did ron. this will be very good to watch.

Yes, I'm VERY curious to see what Rand does in the debates.

philipped
11-02-2014, 06:20 AM
i know for a fact rand will destroy all of them on stage , and most of all destroy the moderators if they try to shit him out of equal time, or skip him like they did ron. this will be very good to watch.

BOUTTA BE LIT

Spikender
11-03-2014, 01:37 AM
Rand is real.

I desperately need to see this man on stage with a group of his "peers" saying what needs to be said just like his father always has.

Get hyped.