PDA

View Full Version : Peter Thiel: We live in an Anti-Tech world, thanks to Hollywood and D.C.

NACBA
10-30-2014, 10:15 AM
Thiel says Hollywood, Washington, D.C. are to blame for society's aversion to technology and science.

buff.ly/1xDzyLm

Anti Federalist
10-30-2014, 10:39 AM
All things being equal, if I could set the tech clock back to say, 1960 or so, I would.

Taken as a whole, I think the "computer age" will end up resulting in less freedom overall.

Blueskies
10-30-2014, 11:38 AM
Precisely the opposite, AF. Look at what the proliferation of smartphones has done to expose policy brutality. 20, even 10 years ago, it was laughed off. Now nearly everyone recognizes it.

CaptUSA
10-30-2014, 11:41 AM
Precisely the opposite, AF. Look at what the proliferation of smartphones has done to expose policy brutality. 20, even 10 years ago, it was laughed off. Now nearly everyone recognizes it.

Lol, I keep trying to tell people that. Technology is a tool. Sure, the statist get to use the tool first, but the market finds better ways to use them.

KingNothing
10-30-2014, 12:14 PM
All things being equal, if I could set the tech clock back to say, 1960 or so, I would.

Taken as a whole, I think the "computer age" will end up resulting in less freedom overall.

You can't be serious with this. Technology developed over the last 50 years has made out lives so much easier, so much more comfortable, so much more peaceful, and so much more fulfilling. If technology will limit our freedom, the flaw is not with technology, it is with humanity. That's the sort of thing that must be confronted head-on. You can't just stick your head in the sand and hope that all progress stops.

Having said that, technology makes it both easier for governments and corporations to spy on us AND easier for us to record abuses of power and then disseminate them to EVERYONE else.

Anti Federalist
10-30-2014, 12:31 PM
You can't be serious with this. Technology developed over the last 50 years has made out lives so much easier, so much more comfortable, so much more peaceful, and so much more fulfilling. If technology will limit our freedom, the flaw is not with technology, it is with humanity. That's the sort of thing that must be confronted head-on. You can't just stick your head in the sand and hope that all progress stops.

Having said that, technology makes it both easier for governments and corporations to spy on us AND easier for us to record abuses of power and then disseminate them to EVERYONE else.

I said, "If I could".

Obviously, I can't.

I've been right about enough things over my lifespan, to stick by this:

At the end of the day, when all the dust settles, the "technology revolution" will result in less human freedom and not more.

Human beings, globally, will tracked, corralled and controlled in a high tech prison, not unlike The Matrix.

Free thought and will and choice will be things of the past.

You will be "allowed" a certain range of freedom, but it will be within tightly confined boundaries, anything outside those norms, established by "authority", will be strictly prohibited, and severely punished and you will be monitored 24/7 for compliance.

Shane Harris
10-30-2014, 02:13 PM
I said, "If I could".

Obviously, I can't.

I've been right about enough things over my lifespan, to stick by this:

At the end of the day, when all the dust settles, the "technology revolution" will result in less human freedom and not more.

Human beings, globally, will tracked, corralled and controlled in a high tech prison, not unlike The Matrix.

Free thought and will and choice will be things of the past.

You will be "allowed" a certain range of freedom, but it will be within tightly confined boundaries, anything outside those norms, established by "authority", will be strictly prohibited, and severely punished and you will be monitored 24/7 for compliance.

Well I certainly hope not. I'm looking forward to the new Dark Age of technology-inspired decentralized anarchy after the fall of 20th C. Rome. Not unlike the Merovingian decentralization of the middle ages.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/10881213/The-coming-digital-anarchy.html

http://archive.lewrockwell.com/goodwin/goodwin30.1.html

devil21
10-30-2014, 02:32 PM
I'd put more stock into what Thiel says if his company wasn't responsible for NSA's PRISM software and inventing license plate scanner technology. Maybe Peter should focus more on tech that helps mankind and less on tech that helps the police state.

TheTexan
10-30-2014, 03:15 PM
Technology is a good thing. It allows the government to be much more efficient at identifying and locating criminals, collecting taxes, and just upholding the law in general. With more and more laws getting on the books, technology is a critical tool that allows them all to be enforced. It used to be that some guy in the middle of nowhere could grow dangerous plant substances on his property and noone would ever know. Nowadays, he's caught in record time. Either through helicopters, drones, or electricity bills, etc.

Pretty soon here you won't even be able to drive dangerously (+5 mph over speed limit) on our highways anymore without getting an automated ticket. Many lives will be saved.

All in all, technology is a big win for Law and Order.

Danke
10-30-2014, 03:32 PM
Well I certainly hope not. I'm looking forward to the new Dark Age of technology-inspired decentralized anarchy after the fall of 20th C. Rome. Not unlike the Merovingian decentralization of the middle ages.

AF just wants to own slaves on his ships.

http://www.fbdindy.com/wp-content/uploads/slaves-rowing-ship.jpg

Anti Federalist
10-30-2014, 04:25 PM
AF just wants to own slaves on his ships.

http://www.fbdindy.com/wp-content/uploads/slaves-rowing-ship.jpg

"Bo'sun! Start that man!"

http://www.prothman.org/jackowen/CrewWithKingNeptune.jpg

Anti Federalist
10-30-2014, 04:26 PM
I'd put more stock into what Thiel says if his company wasn't responsible for NSA's PRISM software and inventing license plate scanner technology. Maybe Peter should focus more on tech that helps mankind and less on tech that helps the police state.

/thread

muh_roads
10-30-2014, 05:17 PM

We just need to exclude the NIST and any Government agency from being part of setting future encryption standards.

TheTexan
10-30-2014, 08:56 PM
We just need to exclude the NIST and any Government agency from being part of setting future encryption standards.

If people on a widespread basis start successfully using encryption to get around laws they don't like, non-government use will just be made illegal.