PDA

View Full Version : Santa Fe sheriff’s deputy fatally shot in the back by partner after alcohol-fueled fight

aGameOfThrones
10-28-2014, 11:49 AM
Las Cruces Police Department
Santa Fe County sheriff’s deputy Jeremy Martin, 29, has died after he was shot by fellow deputy Tai Chan at the Hotel Encanto de Las Cruces.

A Santa Fe County sheriff’s deputy was fatally shot by a fellow deputy while staying at a Las Cruces hotel, authorities said.

The two deputies started arguing and the fight escalated, according to KOAT Action 7 News. They were staying at Hotel Encanto de las Cruces, which bills itself as a sophisticated Spanish Colonial landmark hotel, after extraditing a prisoner to Safford, Ariz.

The accused shooter has been identified as 27-year-old Tai Chan, according to the Albuquerque Journal. Jeremy Martin, 29, is the deputy who was killed, according to Sheriff Robert Garcia.

Martin, who has three young children, was pronounced dead at MountainView Regional Medical Center. Garcia notified his wife early Tuesday, and called both deputies "hardworking."

"In my 34-year career, I would never think and hope I would receive that kind of phone call," said Garcia during a press conference, pausing several times to fight back tears. "I never thought it would be two from within my own agency."

The pair stopped at Dublin's Street Pub before they allegedly got into an argument at the hotel, according to NBC. Chan fired several rounds as Martin tried to escape to an elevator.

Officers found Martin bleeding profusely with several gunshot wounds in his back and arms. Cops located Chan in a stairwell near the roof of the hotel and collared him.

Garcia told the Daily News that his tight-knit, 120-person staff was in shock.

"We would never expect anything like this to happen," he said, adding that the two deputies did not normally work together. "It's a major shock."

Garcia said the dead deputy worked in the sheriff's office for two-and-a-half years while the shooter has served three years in the position. He said they made an 8-hour drive from Arizona when they stopped at the hotel.

He wouldn't confirm the name of the shooter or give more details, citing an investigation.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/santa-fe-sheriff-deputy-fatally-shot-fellow-deputy-article-1.1989826

TheTexan
10-28-2014, 11:54 AM
Was policy followed?

sparebulb
10-28-2014, 11:59 AM
Jeremy Martin did this to himself.

SeanTX
10-28-2014, 01:35 PM
Oh noes! The Heroes who protect us all are killing each other !

I just wonder if the deceased tax-tick will still get the obligatory state-funeral, where both sides of the nearest interstate are shut down while the carcass is paraded about ?

Spikender
10-28-2014, 01:40 PM
Pigs eatin' pigs.

Such is the way of nature.

acptulsa
10-28-2014, 01:54 PM
What a terrible dilemma that must be, hunting that most privileged of 'terrists', the cop killing cop.

'Okay, first we bring in ten thousand men and a couple dozen armored vehicles to hunt his ass down, and then when we get him we haul his ass in and give him a third degree paid vacation...'

alucard13mm
10-28-2014, 03:47 PM
Tai Chan is screwed. He is chinese, which is a minority in prison... The chinese doesn't exist in large numbers to form groups for protection. He is also a cop and I believe other prisoners don't like cops. ALTHOUGH, the cop is a cop killer... sooo it might balance itself out.

Anti Federalist
10-28-2014, 04:19 PM
"Every attack on an officer of the law is an attack on our state, our country and civilized society," Gov. (Tom) Corbett said in a statement.

On the alleged killing by Eric Frein.

invisible
10-28-2014, 04:25 PM
He feared for his life, policy was followed, and officer safety was assured.

TheTexan
10-28-2014, 05:09 PM
He feared for his life, policy was followed, and officer safety was assured.

True. But he also killed a cop. Is he a brave hero? Or a cop killer? Or.. ?/ oor....

*head explodes*