PDA

View Full Version : Live Like You're Free

Suzanimal
10-26-2014, 04:23 PM
:cool:

People are, in most ways, freer than they have ever been in the history of the world.
Throughout most of history, outright chattel slavery (not just of minorities, but even within ethnic groups) has been commonplace. De facto ownership of wives existed in almost every society until a century ago. Less than a hundred years ago, it was fairly uncommon for most people to travel more than a few dozen miles from their place of birth within their lifetime. And even a decade ago in the “freest nation in the world,” it was unthinkable outside of a few progressive areas of the country for homosexual couples to hold hands in public.

Thomas Jefferson said in 1788 that "the natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground." That has certainly been true in the United States, but simply focusing on State expansion can mask an important truth: while liberty has suffered under the weight of government, it has also expanded in other directions. Like the tendrils of a vine reaching for sunlight despite an obstruction, liberty grows outward and upward. For every corrupt cop, there’s an entrepreneur making lives better through innovation, and for every bureaucrat, a programmer works to cripple tyranny at its foundations. For every useless bill, someone is working to make it obsolete.

Governments want you to live your life in fear: fear of terrorism, crime, climate change, Ebola, ISIS, and whatever other fear is politically expedient in the next news cycle. When people concentrate on fear, they are more willing to give over their liberties to an entity that arrogantly claims to be able to keep them safe. Many who love liberty live in fear, too. Their bogeymen are government spying, gun control laws, or any number of government conspiracies. While people can have good reasons to be afraid, shaking that fear altogether can be the most liberating experience of all. Encryption is infiltrating the mainstream (to the consternation of the FBI and others), and organizations like Defense Distributed are working to completely obviate gun regulation.

If you only look at the ways governments are expanding, it can be easy to get wrapped up in the fear. What is needed is a broader perspective — one that takes into account the myriad ways in which our lives are getting better despite State intrusion. Those with this perspective are hopeful about startup cities, seasteading, and groups building censorship-resistant free markets that ignore government regulations; they understand that we are richer, healthier, and more comfortable than those who came before us. Shed the fear, and embrace hope — not a false hope, but a reasoned, pragmatic confidence based on both the concrete avenues for liberation that we see and the general trend we can observe since the rise of capitalism. We have great cause for optimism.

You have been born into a time when you can communicate with thousands of people in an instant, people who share your interests and concerns. You can leave town for the weekend and see things daily that your ancestors could not possibly have imagined. Your job is almost certainly less physically taxing than any job any of your parents, grandparents, or virtually any person who lived prior to them ever had. Statistically, you are likely to live longer and better than anyone born before you. Entrepreneurs are busy creating and popularizing some of the first tools in history that are more useful for undermining coercion than for furthering it. Freedom is expanding daily in ways our predecessors could hardly have dreamed.

You are one of the freest people in all of history. Maybe it’s time to start living like it.

http://fee.org/the_freeman/detail/live-like-youre-free

Slave Mentality
10-26-2014, 04:32 PM
Seems to me that the author is confused on the difference between economic prosperity, technology, and liberty. For shame.

presence
10-26-2014, 04:37 PM
You are one of the freest people in all of history. Maybe it’s time to start living like it.

Is it ok if I put that in my pipe and smoke it?

luctor-et-emergo
10-26-2014, 04:54 PM

If you are truly free, then why do you ask for permission?

Anti Federalist
10-26-2014, 05:04 PM
Seems to me that the author is confused on the difference between economic prosperity, technology, and liberty. For shame.

Exactly what I thought.

So we've traded chattel slavery for a more polite version in which we all are enslaved.

Freedom is expanding daily in ways our predecessors could hardly have dreamed.

No, they couldn't.

And I'm sure they would call a world where every single move you make is under surveillance and regulation, unfree.

tod evans
10-26-2014, 05:06 PM

It's okay with me...........

But I'm not who you've gotta worry about...:eek:

luctor-et-emergo
10-26-2014, 05:08 PM
Freedom is expanding daily in ways our predecessors could hardly have dreamed.

No, they couldn't.

And I'm sure they would call a world where every single move you make is under surveillance and regulation, unfree.

About the only things that seem to be expanding are the debt and fundamentalist terrorism... Does debt+fundamentalist-terrorism=freedom ? My head hurts. (and I'm not even a predecessor of myself, ok that made my head hurt even more, I mean I'm not that old but it seems all to clear.)

navy-vet
10-26-2014, 05:26 PM
:cool:
Interesting post Suzanimal. I think there's a lot of truth in there. I wonder though, if it isn't more reflective of the peak of our civilizations achievements, and that we are now on the downward slope...and have been for sometime now.

Suzanimal
10-26-2014, 05:30 PM

Exactly what I thought.

So we've traded chattel slavery for a more polite version in which we all are enslaved.

No, they couldn't.

About the only things that seem to be expanding are the debt and fundamentalist terrorism... Does debt+fundamentalist-terrorism=freedom ? My head hurts. (and I'm not even a predecessor of myself, ok that made my head hurt even more, I mean I'm not that old but it seems all to clear.)

I agree with all these points. Just because things sucked in a different way at some other point in time doesn't mean things aren't worse in other ways now but I did like the part I highlighted and agree with that statement.

Lol, go for it, you rebel.:)

phill4paul
10-26-2014, 06:16 PM
Less than a hundred years ago, it was fairly uncommon for most people to travel more than a few dozen
miles from their place of birth within their lifetime.

Just because it was uncommon does not mean it was not possible.

And even a decade ago in the “freest nation in the world,” it was unthinkable outside of a few progressive
areas of the country for homosexual couples to hold hands in public.

Anchient Greece would disagree.

they understand that we are richer, healthier, and more comfortable than those who came before us.

All subjective phrasing.

Your job is almost certainly less physically taxing than any job any of your parents, grandparents,
or virtually any person who lived prior to them ever had.

I'm a handy man. Day in and day out I make a living off of physically damanding jobs that others do not care to do.
My job is no less physically taxing than my forebears. Bullshit.

The times I live in, in the way in which I choose to live, is no more free than any other time. I choose to pay no taxes. The government can come for me on a whim.
I own guns. I will defend my right not to be robbed. I will die on my hill. Where I stand is no different from anyone else in history that has chosen my path.

Sorry. No rainbow and unicorn farts from me to the author.

I live like I am free every day. With the full knowledge that the federal,state or county government can make of me a prisoner any day. And in the knowing I live free with the understanding that I will live and end my life how I choose. No more free than any of my predecessors that have chosen my path.

vita3
10-26-2014, 06:18 PM
Love being free!

navy-vet
10-26-2014, 06:23 PM
Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose -joplin

luctor-et-emergo
10-26-2014, 06:30 PM
I'm a handy man. Day in and day out I make a living off of physically damanding jobs that others do not care to do.
My job is no less physically taxing than my forebears. Bullshit.

Because you have power-tools these days you can get more done in a shorter period of time. It does not mean you work less hard, it just means your work is more effective. It does not mean people historically were wasting their time, they did the best with what they had. This has not changed. Our level of welfare has increased, on average at least, this is because our productivity increased.

phill4paul
10-26-2014, 06:42 PM
Because you have power-tools these days you can get more done in a shorter period of time. It does not mean you work less hard, it just means your work is more effective. It does not mean people historically were wasting their time, they did the best with what they had. This has not changed. Our level of welfare has increased, on average at least, this is because our productivity increased.

I can get more done in a shorter period of time and therefore continue with other things. Sure a particular job is sped up. That just means there needs to be be more jobs once that particular job is finished. If I invest in a time saving tool I also have to charge for the use of my time saving tool. The special blades, repairs, replacement, etc.