PDA

View Full Version : Senate Races 2014: Why Michigan Never Became Iowa

PaleoPaul
10-24-2014, 05:12 PM
Before I begin, I'd like to say one thing: I want to walk up to Justin Amash and slap him upside the head for not running for Senate. He pissed away the perfect opportunity and would probably be walking away with this race right now.

Now, onto the article:

WASHINGTON — Earlier this cycle, Republicans viewed the Michigan Senate race as a potential pick-up opportunity, much like the seat in Iowa.

But it didn’t turn out that way — not even close.

Both Iowa and Michigan featured open-seat races. In these states, Democrats had cleared the field to nominate a House member with partisan voting records. Meanwhile, the GOP’s top candidate picks took a pass on these Senate races, forcing the party to settle for second-tier recruits. To be sure, Michigan was a slightly more favorable battleground for Democrats — but Republicans were bullish about it.

Now, with two weeks until Election Day, the Iowa race is a dead heat with both parties spending massively to win the seat. Nearly 500 miles away, Rep. Gary Peters (D-MI) solidly leads former Secretary of State Terri Lynn Land in every public poll. Earlier this month, the National Republican Senatorial Committee pulled more than $850,000 out of the state, canceling its final two weeks of television for Land and indicating the race was over.

“I’d rather be on Gary Peters’ campaign than on Terri Lynn Land’s,” said Michigan Republican consultant Dennis Darnoi.

Brett85
10-24-2014, 06:06 PM
I'm glad Justin didn't run. He probably would've gotten beaten by just as much or more than Land. Michigan is a liberal Democratic state.

EBounding
10-27-2014, 08:56 AM
I'm glad Justin didn't run. He probably would've gotten beaten by just as much or more than Land. Michigan is a liberal Democratic state.

Most of Southeast Michigan/Metro Detroit is liberal, but the rest of the state is pretty Republican--"Republicans" control all three branches right now.

But I'm glad too he didn't pursue it. It probably would have been a nasty primary and he would have made even more enemies. Instead, he's gained a lot of political capital in the past year by helping the Lt. Gov win the State convention and of course beating Ellis. He's young so there's still an opportunity for him to run for Senate in the future.

philipped
10-27-2014, 06:13 PM
Justin Amash for Senate 2018