PDA

View Full Version : New Senate Minority Leader?

r3volution 3.0
10-23-2014, 04:58 PM
What happens if Mitch loses his seat?

Who will replace him?

Assuming it isn't Rand, will the new leader be more or less friendly with Rand?

TaftFan
10-23-2014, 05:06 PM
John Cornyn, and yes he sucks.

Crashland
10-23-2014, 05:08 PM
John Cornyn, maybe. I'm thinking it's in Rand's best interest for McConnell to keep his seat, since he seems to have accumulated some political capital with him. Cornyn is probably closer to Rand on the issues though.

r3volution 3.0
10-23-2014, 05:22 PM
I'm thinking it's in Rand's best interest for McConnell to keep his seat, since he seems to have accumulated some political capital with him.

That's what I would think too, but to be honest I'm not all that familiar with the internal politics of the Senate.

...don't know who's got whose IOUs in their back pocket.

supermario21
10-23-2014, 05:29 PM
Cornyn will thrust Cruz into the spotlight. Mitch will keep Rand in a position of power.

William Tell
10-23-2014, 05:35 PM
Cornyn and Mitch are really about the same, the Tea Party has kept Cornyn on his toes since 2012 though. Both suck suck suck suck.

Peace&Freedom
10-23-2014, 05:45 PM
If the Republicans take control over the Senate, the big issue may be who will the Democrats pick as Minority Leader? Will Reid step aside, or get pushed aside, and for whom?

r3volution 3.0
10-23-2014, 05:48 PM
If the Republicans take control over the Senate, the big issue may be who will the Democrats pick as Minority Leader? Will Reid step aside, or get pushed aside, and for whom?

Does it matter?

Vanguard101
10-23-2014, 05:49 PM
Cornyn will thrust Cruz into the spotlight. Mitch will keep Rand in a position of power.

No he will not. Cornyn will be worse than Mitch. If Cornyn is the Senate Minority Leader, we basically have to restart. It would probably be a less appealing Senate too if Rand is president.

William Tell
10-23-2014, 05:50 PM
Mike Lee would become more prominent if Rand became President.

TheTexan
10-23-2014, 05:51 PM
Does it matter?

Of course it matters. The Democrat Minority Leader has a very strong influence on which way the Democrats vote, and how consistently they tow the party line.

These are all very important questions. Every factor must be considered.

r3volution 3.0
10-23-2014, 05:57 PM
Of course it matters. The Democrat Minority Leader has a very strong influence on which way the Democrats vote, and how consistently they tow the party line.

These are all very important questions. Every factor must be considered.

Sure sure, but I don't see anything good coming out of this Senate or the next one regardless.

I was more interested in the effect of this mid-term on 2016.

Whether Rand remains close to the Republican leader is of importance for 2016, not sure how the Democratic leadership would matter.

But I always reserve the right to be proven wrong.

r3volution 3.0
10-23-2014, 05:59 PM
No he will not. Cornyn will be worse than Mitch. If Cornyn is the Senate Minority Leader, we basically have to restart. It would probably be a less appealing Senate too if Rand is president.

http://makeameme.org/media/created/WHATCHU-TALKIN-BOUT-jil5u7.jpg

Peace&Freedom
10-24-2014, 04:03 AM
Sure sure, but I don't see anything good coming out of this Senate or the next one regardless.

I was more interested in the effect of this mid-term on 2016.

Whether Rand remains close to the Republican leader is of importance for 2016, not sure how the Democratic leadership would matter.

But I always reserve the right to be proven wrong.

The Democrat's inability to recover their devastating losses in the House can be largely traced to their not replacing Nancy Pelosi as leader, who presided over their losing control. So if they don't move on from Reid upon losing the Senate, it will confirm they have learned nothing. Plus a Republican takeover of the Senate may change McConnell's relationship with Rand, with more pressure placed on Mitch to push Rand to 'get with the program' on war, surveillance, etc.

Vanguard101
10-24-2014, 06:32 AM
Mike Lee would become more prominent if Rand became President.
since he would be a supreme court justice

RonPaulMall
10-27-2014, 05:30 PM

Chuck Schumer. He's even worse than Harry Reid on the issues, but ten times smarter and less corrupt (unlike Reid, who has taken bribes his entire political life, Schumer is single minded in his quest for power and nothing else).

TaftFan
10-27-2014, 05:48 PM
since he would be a supreme court justice

I'd rather him stay in the Senate. Lots of other qualified people in their 40s and 50s.

jmdrake
10-28-2014, 12:28 PM
What happens if Mitch loses his seat?

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02794/unlikely-illo_2794344b.jpg