PDA

View Full Version : EO signed to require credit cards to rely on chip instead of stripe

Yieu
10-19-2014, 11:24 PM
http://arstechnica.com/business/2014/10/obama-signs-buysecure-initiative-to-speed-emv-adoption-in-the-us/

On Friday, President Obama signed an executive order to speed the adoption of EMV-standard cards in the US. The transition to EMV—an acronym eponymous of Europay, MasterCard, and Visa, the companies that developed the standard—has been slow to gain traction in the US. The EMV standard will require credit card companies stop relying on the magnetic stripe cards that are common today and move toward cards with embedded-chips that will offer more secure credit card transactions.

tangent4ronpaul
10-19-2014, 11:49 PM
whoo hooo! - if you can't chip the people, chip their money!

now theives won't have to rip you off at the point of sale - they will just have to walk by you!

AWESOME!

Use cash and leave CC's home unless needed that trip.

Bastards!

-t

KCIndy
10-20-2014, 12:34 AM
Cash is almost always the best answer. But if you find yourself in a situation where you're carrying cards, just make sure you have everything in a good, high quality RFID blocking sleeve:

http://www.tamperseal.com/rfid-credit-card-shield-p-704.html

http://www.tamperseal.com/images/productImages/704/large/1209.jpg

You can also get these things for your passport, if you have a passport.

devil21
10-20-2014, 01:31 AM
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?436272-Target-hack-is-cover-story-for-introducing-RFID-chips

nobody's_hero
10-20-2014, 05:40 AM
Technology making us freer everyday!Right? Am I right?

jbauer
10-20-2014, 11:24 AM
so how far out can someone pick up on these cards? inches? feet? miles?

I guess its conceivable that you could make a "smart card" talk to a "smart phone" and track everything everywhere.

Dr.3D
10-20-2014, 11:34 AM
whoo hooo! - if you can't chip the people, chip their money!

now theives won't have to rip you off at the point of sale - they will just have to walk by you!

AWESOME!

Use cash and leave CC's home unless needed that trip.

Bastards!

-t
Cops love folks who carry large quantities of cash. They just take it and if you can't prove you had it legally, they get to keep it. :mad:

S.Shorland
10-20-2014, 11:56 AM
Old saying here in the UK. If something's broken it's 'gone west.'

ZENemy
10-20-2014, 12:01 PM
How does an EO effect private companies? EO's apply to the executive branch.

acptulsa
10-20-2014, 12:54 PM
How does an EO effect private companies? EO's apply to the executive branch.

There's still a facet of American life that hasn't gotten an executive branch bureaucracy just to jack with it?

If so, it isn't financial. There's the FDIC, the SEC...

"Never was a country in the throes of more capital letters than the old U.S.A., but we still haven't sent out the S.O.S."--Will Rogers

navy-vet
10-20-2014, 01:02 PM
The Hildabeast will lead us into the NWO and we will quickly devolve into a "cashless society".
hey, I see a pattern here....obamanation (abomination), Hildabeast (hildabeast)....
We will truly be in hell then...:(

devil21
10-20-2014, 02:14 PM
Not sure of validity of the article but I read the other day that new ebt cards will be issued with the chips in the near future too.

acptulsa
10-20-2014, 02:17 PM
Not sure of validity of the article but I read the other day that new ebt cards will be issued with the chips in the near future too.

There's that pesky executive branch again. Expect unemployment insurance cards to be required to do this at the same time.

TheCount
10-20-2014, 05:21 PM

0 inches.

KCIndy
10-22-2014, 01:43 PM

I guess its conceivable that you could make a "smart card" talk to a "smart phone" and track everything everywhere.

For every measure, there's going to be a countermeasure. The secret is learning how something works. If you know how it works, you'll know how to make it NOT work. Seriously, grab some RFID blocking sleeves. I've seen anti-RFID tech built into everything from wallets to folders to briefcases and purses to pants.

navy-vet
10-22-2014, 02:37 PM
leashes

TheCount
10-22-2014, 08:16 PM
For every measure, there's going to be a countermeasure. The secret is learning how something works. If you know how it works, you'll know how to make it NOT work. Seriously, grab some RFID blocking sleeves. I've seen anti-RFID tech built into everything from wallets to folders to briefcases and purses to pants.

It's not RFID. The reader makes physical contact with the surface of the chip.

navy-vet
10-22-2014, 08:28 PM
The RFID chip is going in our tags, er real ID's

navy-vet
10-22-2014, 08:30 PM
Yes sir! Knowledge is power and can keep us free. That's one of the great things about the net and this forum!

TheCount
10-22-2014, 08:32 PM
The RFID chip is going in our tags, er real ID's

That's nice. What does it have to do with this thread?

Czolgosz
10-22-2014, 08:35 PM
Lol @ the farm animals.

KCIndy
10-23-2014, 10:23 AM

In that case, keeping a card in my wallet will probably cause the chip to get all crapped up and unusable even faster than the traditional magnetic strips. :o