PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul lets cat out of the bag on Rand Presidential Run: ‘I Think It's Great He's Doing It’

francisco
10-18-2014, 01:26 PM
In an interview with PoliticKING With Larry King on Thursday, the elder Paul spoke in the present tense about his son's presidential ambitions (emphasis added):

KING: Do you encourage your son to run for President?

PAUL: Not really, and I have mixed feelings about it because I know what is entailed and how much punishment he gets - it always annoys me he has to suffer some of the consequences because of something I said or did. But he shouldn't have to do that but that's the way system works. So yes I think it's great he's doing it. He has a good message and he understand free-market economics and I just think that its doing a world of good. But I also know the power and strength of the establishment and its a tough road to hoe I'll tell you that but I would never have discouraged him from doing it. Just like I didn't say "Rand I really want to see you go to med school and be a doctor" but I never discourage and was delighted when he did go to med school and become an opthamologist.

It's nitpicking, sure, but it's also telling—even Paul's father sees his son running as a foregone conclusion.

Read more, with video:

http://www.nationaljournal.com/politics/did-rand-paul-s-dad-just-scoop-him-on-his-own-presidential-run-20141017

TaftFan
10-18-2014, 01:35 PM
Rand isn't even brushing it off anymore.

Occam's Banana
10-18-2014, 01:47 PM
[...] its a tough road to hoe [...]

Idiom transcription fail.

Do people who do this ever stop to wonder, "Hoeing a road? That sounds kinda strange. Did he actually say that? Am I getting it right?"

Dr.3D
10-18-2014, 01:50 PM

Do people who do this ever stop to wonder, "Hoeing a road? That sounds kinda strange. Did he actually say that? Am I getting it right?"
I always thought it was "a tough row to hoe."

Inkblots
10-18-2014, 01:54 PM

It is. Hence why the transcription failed. What did you think Occam was saying?

Occam's Banana
10-18-2014, 01:57 PM

Indeed it is. And if you listen to the video, that's what Ron actually said.

Apparently, the transcriber stretched the "t" sound at the start of "to" to a "d" sound at the end of "row."

Dr.3D
10-18-2014, 01:58 PM
It is. Hence why the transcription failed. What did you think Occam was saying?
I thought I was hearing things.

Spikender
10-18-2014, 02:03 PM
Rand isn't even brushing it off anymore.

Of course not, he has national attention now and even mundanes on the street know his name.

He's done a good job getting his name out there and tightening up his stances and I'm glad his dad approves.

francisco
10-18-2014, 02:11 PM
Of course not, he has national attention now and even mundanes on the street know his name.

He's done a good job getting his name out there and tightening up his stances and I'm glad his dad approves.

+1

Vanguard101
10-18-2014, 02:15 PM
"Not really, and I have mixed feelings about it because I know what is entailed and how much punishment he gets - it always annoys me he has to suffer some of the consequences because of something I said or did. But he shouldn't have to do that but that's the way system works. "
https://38.media.tumblr.com/592cc39e85efef488903321893e8c199/tumblr_mpztcg9dKR1sax4b3o1_500.gif

CPUd
10-18-2014, 02:22 PM
Sometime over the summer it seems like, at least internally with his family, that they decided to go for it. Politically, Rand can't make any official moves until at least after the elections, and (preferably) after any new winners begin their first term in office. It would be even more ideal to wait and see what Hillary is going to do, because if she goes for it, she will be in the process of creating her narrative now. Someone like Joe Biden or John Kerry, their narrative would be "stay the course", but if either one of them run, Hillary would have a different narrative, for contrast. Something about the current policies she strongly disagrees with, and this is why she didn't serve a second term in the current Administration. Once the story with the Democrats is clearer, Rand can more effectively tailor his narrative for a campaign launch. But no one on the Republican side should want to be the first, unless their platform is "because Obama", which is a proven losing strategy.

FriedChicken
10-18-2014, 07:16 PM
Sometime over the summer it seems like, at least internally with his family, that they decided to go for it. Politically, Rand can't make any official moves until at least after the elections, and (preferably) after any new winners begin their first term in office. It would be even more ideal to wait and see what Hillary is going to do, because if she goes for it, she will be in the process of creating her narrative now. Someone like Joe Biden or John Kerry, their narrative would be "stay the course", but if either one of them run, Hillary would have a different narrative, for contrast. Something about the current policies she strongly disagrees with, and this is why she didn't serve a second term in the current Administration. Once the story with the Democrats is clearer, Rand can more effectively tailor his narrative for a campaign launch. But no one on the Republican side should want to be the first, unless their platform is "because Obama", which is a proven losing strategy.

I agree but not sure how strongly ...

Since everyone assumes Hillary will be the dem nominee that they will be quick to assume the first front runner of the GOP to be the nominee. Kind of a Romney situation - where it was almost a given before the race even started that he would be the pick.

If Rand announced early and then, in Romney fashion, went straight to general election rhetoric and kept his aim on Hillary (or whoever) it might help create a narrative of "Rand Paul is going to win".
That's really the only reason Romney won. I never talked to a die hard Romney fan during the primary except one or two - but several people that supported anyway because "he is going to win".

Of course ... he could also wait a prolonged time to announce while the "amateurs" debated as he waits in the wings as the media to keeps wondering when he will announce. Undermining the competition and, again, creating a narrative that the primary is already won.

... or, most likely, neither scenario will happen. But it is definitely better to be seen as the presumptive nominee rather than the underdog.

Whenever he announces will be a calculated move and the decision will be made by folks wiser (and better paid) than I.

Original_Intent
10-18-2014, 07:27 PM

I think it's funny that Occam's BANANA is pointing out an idiom transcription fail. Your username is an idiom transcription fail - albeit an intentional one. :D

Occam's Banana
10-18-2014, 07:42 PM
I think it's funny that Occam's BANANA is pointing out an idiom transcription fail. Your username is an idiom transcription fail - albeit an intentional one. :D

:D:D:D:toady:

+rep to you, sir!

RonPaulFanInGA
10-18-2014, 08:45 PM
Primary season sure is approaching fast. It always starts heating up quickly after the midterms.

ctiger2
10-18-2014, 08:46 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing Ron draw larger crowds than Rand. lol

RonZeplin
10-18-2014, 09:29 PM
It's a tough toad to row.

specsaregood
10-18-2014, 09:30 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing Ron draw larger crowds than Rand. lol

Yeah, hang your hat on that. I'm looking forward to seeing Randal draw many more votes than his father and I'm sure his father is as well.

William Tell
10-18-2014, 09:54 PM
I thought I was hearing things.

Beats being deaf.

William Tell
10-18-2014, 10:00 PM

Methinks the transcriber thought Ron was speaking along the lines of inner city prostitution. As opposed to rural farm work. Hoe, road/row... ya' know?:rolleyes:

Politics is whoreable sometimes.:eek::(;)

anaconda
10-18-2014, 10:40 PM
Ron could have been addressing it from more of a popular media perspective. i.e. simply the assumption that Rand probably intends to run. After all, Rand has said repeatedly that the two of them don't discuss it.

presence
10-18-2014, 10:46 PM

Hitler burned his own Reichstag Piers!
Hitler fired bombs and turned rash tag Piers! (CNN Transcription)

- Alex Jones

francisco
10-18-2014, 11:59 PM
It's a tough toad to row.

:toady::toady::toady:

philipped
10-19-2014, 12:07 PM
I wonder when and where it will happen when he officially announces....

CPUd
10-19-2014, 02:33 PM
I wonder when and where it will happen when he officially announces....

Probably on Hannity's show. If not, Hannity will be the first one to interview him.

Matt Collins
10-19-2014, 02:55 PM
Getting into a Presidential race is hard to do...

You don't want to be first because then you bear the brunt of the scrutiny. You don't want to be last because then you look like Johnny-come-lately and won't have as much time to build funds and an organization. You also dont want to launch at the same time as someone else because then your limelight and organic PR gets cut in half or maybe even overshadowed all together.

And then there is the FEC nonsense which makes it very difficult in what one can and can't say prior to actually having a campaign.

pcosmar
10-19-2014, 03:18 PM

It is if you farm. Or have ever hoed a row.

phill4paul
10-19-2014, 03:21 PM
It is if you farm. Or have ever hoed a row.

I've rode a tough ho!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcYppAs6ZdI