PDA

View Full Version : Lenoir City woman sent to jail for having a messy yard

Suzanimal
10-18-2014, 03:53 AM
I feel safer.

:mad:

LENOIR CITY, Tenn. (WVLT) -- Ever fall behind on yard work? This East Tennessee woman did -- and now she's headed to jail.

Karen Holloway was cited by Lenoir City officials for not keeping up her yard.

She says this all started over the summer, when the city sent her a citation, claiming her yard wasn't properly maintained.

"With my husband going to school and working full time, me with my job, with one vehicle, we were trying our best," she said.

Holloway, who has two kids still at home, says she'll be the first to admit this yard needed some attention. But she feels the city has gone too far by imposing jail time.

"[The bushes and trees] were overgrown. But that's certainly not a criminal offense," she said.

She was shocked at a hearing last week, when Judge Terry Vann handed down a five-day jail sentence.

"It's not right," she said. "Why would you put me in jail with child molesters, and people who've done real crimes, because I haven't maintained my yard."

She says she was never read her rights nor told she could have a lawyer present.

"I feel like I'm being bullied," she said.

On Tuesday, Holloway made a final appeal before Vann, who reduced her sentence to six hours. But he admitted she's not a criminal, and says this isn't a criminal case.

Holloway offered to do five days of community service instead of the jail time. But Vann refused, insisting she serve time.

Vann could not be reached for comment on his decision after the hearing.

Holloway turned herself into the jail at 5:00 p.m. Tuesday.

"This opens a floodgate to everybody in Lenoir City being put in jail for silly things," she said.

Holloway says she's been cited by code enforcers in the past, while her husband was serving overseas in the military. She says she fell behind on the yard work again this time because of personal, family issues.

Code enforcement officers directed all questions to Police Chief Don White, who oversees the department. He did not immediately return calls from Local 8 News.

Judge Vann set a follow up hearing for November to check up on the progress. He suggested he might add on more jail time if the city isn't satisfied with the clean-up.

http://www.local8now.com/home/headlines/Lenoir-City-woman-sentenced-to-jail-for-having-a-messy-yard-279202621.html

aGameOfThrones
10-18-2014, 04:08 AM
Holloway says she's been cited by code enforcers in the past, while her husband was serving overseas in the military. She says she fell behind on the yard work again this time because of personal, family issues.

but her husband served for freedoms at home.

Debtors prison...

now...

yard prison.

oyarde
10-18-2014, 10:03 AM
Good Lord.

Christian Liberty
10-18-2014, 10:07 AM

Debtors prison...

now...

yard prison.

So, her husband abandons his wife to sell his soul to the State, and the State's response is to lock the woman up.

I wonder if the woman's husband will ever realize how ridiculous what he is doing is.

KCIndy
10-18-2014, 10:15 AM
Unfortunately, tyranny can exist just as easily at a local level as it can at the Federal level... :(

That being said, it seems like this woman could file a complaint with the state's bar association for malicious prosecution or judicial misconduct or something. The judge admitted the case wasn't criminal in nature, and there was no mention of a contempt citation, so I'm not sure how the judge was legally able to put her in jail.

Anti Federalist
10-18-2014, 12:35 PM

Debtors prison...

now...

yard prison.

Thanks for your service, now, go to jail.

Anti Federalist
10-18-2014, 12:37 PM
So, her husband abandons his wife to sell his soul to the State, and the State's response is to lock the woman up.

I wonder if the woman's husband will ever realize how ridiculous what he is doing is.

Probably not...hell, I know better and I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around it.

More than likely he'll assume a mental fetal position...

"Four legs good...two legs bet tt tt er."

CPUd
10-18-2014, 03:34 PM
I always call that town Whoville. If you drive past it on I-40 at night you might know why.

Occam's Banana
10-18-2014, 03:56 PM
"[The bushes and trees] were overgrown. But that's certainly not a criminal offense," she said.

She was shocked at a hearing last week, when Judge Terry Vann handed down a five-day jail sentence.

"It's not right," she said. "Why would you put me in jail with child molesters, and people who've done real crimes, because I haven't maintained my yard."

She says she was never read her rights nor told she could have a lawyer present.

"I feel like I'm being bullied," she said.

On Tuesday, Holloway made a final appeal before Vann, who reduced her sentence to six hours. But he admitted she's not a criminal, and says this isn't a criminal case.

[...]

"This opens a floodgate to everybody in Lenoir City being put in jail for silly things," she said.

[...]

Judge Vann set a follow up hearing for November to check up on the progress. He suggested he might add on more jail time if the city isn't satisfied with the clean-up.

ALWAYS REMEMBER: They hate us for our freedom.

Holloway says she's been cited by code enforcers in the past, while her husband was serving overseas in the military.

Good thing he's over there fighting to defend our freedom from the ones who hate us for it, isn't it?

(It couldn't possibly be that he's fighting the wrong people in the wrong place ...)

Anti Federalist
10-18-2014, 04:12 PM
Better call CPS and have her kids taken away too, just for good measure.

Land of the free...

aGameOfThrones
10-18-2014, 04:17 PM
Better call CPS and have her kids taken away too, just for good measure.

Land of the free...

+rep. any home is better than one with a messy yard.

Suzanimal
11-12-2014, 09:47 AM
Karen Holloway went to jail for her overgrown yard – now they want to get her for her ivy! The waitress and mother of four is now listed in in the local “mugshot” rag along with rapists and child molesters – and now they want to put her in jail for days or even weeks.

According to a friend who also attended her hearing this week, Karen of four noticed that a code enforcement officer was idling in front of her house when she walked up to his car and asked what he was doing there. He replied “You’ll find out tomorrow in court.” Karen, not being the type to give up easily, pressed him, and he pointed to the ivy growing on her historic home, and said it was an issue that she needed to take care of before her next hearing.

It seems however that public pressure may be taking a toll on the resolve of the local government to continuing to harass Karen- and threaten her for additional jail time if she doesn’t take care of issues like the ivy. At her court hearing the DA mentioned that “online incidents” are disrupting the process.

http://countercurrentnews.com/2014/11/mom-jailed-for-lawn-now-faces-more-time-for-ivy-on-her-house/

FunkBuddha
11-12-2014, 09:53 AM
http://countercurrentnews.com/2014/11/mom-jailed-for-lawn-now-faces-more-time-for-ivy-on-her-house/

This story embarasses me as a proud East Tennesseean.

JK/SEA
11-12-2014, 11:10 AM
you guys make fun, but have you ever had a neighbor with a crop of dandelions in the yard?...its...its.. something out of the movie 'Day of the Trifids'...

should be at least a beating or tazing or something..

sparebulb
11-12-2014, 11:25 AM
you guys make fun, but have you ever had a neighbor with a crop of dandelions in the yard?...its...its.. something out of the movie 'Day of the Trifids'...

should be at least a beating or tazing or something..

Evil Weed!

Some people eat it to get some sort of nutritional high out of it. Some intentionally put it in salads for recreational use. The most despicable even distill it into a mind altering beverage.