PDA

View Full Version : Vomiting woman on AA flight restricted to lavatory due to...racism.

Anti Federalist
10-17-2014, 01:24 PM
Airline: Ebola not a concern as sick passenger was kept in lavatory

By Dane Schiller

Updated 10:38 am, Friday, October 17, 2014

http://www.seattlepi.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/As-Ebola-fear-spreads-flight-crew-locks-sick-5829359.php

A University of Texas professor said she was "disgusted" on an American Airlines flight as the crew, she believes was fearing the spread of Ebola, kept a woman who had vomited shut in the plane's bathroom.

"I was outraged by what I saw," said Martha Selby, who is the head of the Austin university's Asian Studies Department.

Selby was on Flight 2325 Thursday evening from Dallas-Fort Worth to Chicago as she made her way to an academic conference.

"She was making her way to the bathroom and vomited in the aisle," Selby recalled of the passenger. "The flight attendants, I think, over-reacted completely. It was just crazy."

She said the sick passenger, who appeared to be in her 40s, was told by the flight crew that given current public health concerns she would have to tell them where she had been traveling and that she'd have to stay in the bathroom, Selby said.

"They told her to stay in the bathroom, and she stayed in the bathroom. They said, 'We can't let you out,'" Selby recalled. "This was way out of control and it is because of the hype."

But American Airlines said that the crew was not concerned about Ebola and was merely taking good care of a passenger who had gotten violently ill.

"There were no concerns related to Ebola," said American Airlines spokeswoman Michelle Mohr. "Our crew saw a very sick woman that probably had food poisoning or something. She was so sick that she asked to remain in the lavatory for the duration of the flight."

Mohr said that while there is certainly a heightened sensitivity in society as well as among crew members about Ebola, that was not a factor in this instance.

"This was just a sick passenger, and we took care of her," she said. "Our crew did the right thing."

She said the woman was never told she had to stay in the lavatory.

Last week, an American Airlines flight made an emergency stop in Midland over concerns about another vomiting passenger.

Ebola has been an especially tense matter in Dallas as a man recently died there after flying to the United States from Liberia, where he'd been infected. Two nurses who treated him were infected and are in the hospital, and several other health-care workers are being monitored for signs of the Ebola.

Eric Duncan had lied to officials about having been exposed to the virus before getting on the plane to the United States.

Western Africa has been the epicenter for Ebola, with the Centers for Disease Control urging people to avoid all non-essential travel to Liberia as well as Guinea and Sierra Leone.

On the American Airlines flight attendants took a red seat belt extender and cordoned off the very back of the plane where the bathroom was located. Mohr said it was blocked off simply because it had become soiled with vomit, not because of concerns it was infectious.

The woman spent the remainder of the flight, about 45 minutes, in the bathroom.

Selby said she understands health concerns, but believes the incident amounted to racial profiling - the woman was black - and a violation of the woman's civil rights.

"If I had puked on the plane, would they have they done that to me? I'm a 60-year-old white woman with gray hair. No, they would not have," she said, noting that fellow passengers shared her concerns about race playing a role in the incident.

When the plane landed, all passengers were told to remain in their seats as emergency personnel boarded the plane and took the woman away. He carry on bag was wrapped in plastic and taken with her, Selby said.

"She was ill, whether she had a tummy upset or was airsick, I have no idea," Selby said. "It was so alarming how it was handled and it panicked everybody on the airplane."

Mohr, of American Airlines, said the company has reviewed procedures for keeping passengers safe and will continue to take any steps directed by the Centers for Disease Control.

"The safety of our customers and employees is American Airlines first priority," she said. "We are following the direction of, and strictly adhering to, all Centers for Disease Control guidelines in place for airlines in response to the Ebola outbreak."

AuH20
10-17-2014, 01:41 PM
Better safe than sorry and it's not like they she was thrown from the plane midflight. 70% mortality rate. YOLO.

Brian4Liberty
10-17-2014, 02:00 PM
Cultural Marxism conditioning.

kahless
10-17-2014, 02:04 PM
If she had a stomach virus or some other bug then kudos to the flight crew if they told her she had to remain in the bathroom. I would be happy if I were on that flight and the flight crew tried to limit my exposure to whatever she had. I would also be happy if I was the sick person being allowed to remain in the bathroom for the flight to limit exposing others.

Too many people have been brainwashed in this culture to see racism in everything. This sounds like a good example of that.

Brian4Liberty
10-17-2014, 02:07 PM
"If I had puked on the plane, would they have they done that to me? I'm a 60-year-old white woman with gray hair. No, they would not have," she said, noting that fellow passengers shared her concerns about race playing a role in the incident.

"Oh, you are an older white woman? By all means, go ahead and vomit on my lap. It's no trouble. I can clean up when I get home."

Brian4Liberty
10-17-2014, 02:10 PM
"Oh, it's not Ebola, it's only Norovirus? No problem then, come over and sit next to me."

presence
10-17-2014, 02:16 PM
You're on my ship and I'm the captain: Pukin? Dallas? STFU and stay in the bathroom!

I don't care if you're black white or transgender pukin in dallas and you're on the other side of some plastic from me.

FindLiberty
10-17-2014, 02:24 PM
Unrelated Q: If it had crashed exactly between two states and she was the
only survivor from the flight, would she still own the entire airline
(after winning the discrimination lawsuit)?

Ronin Truth
10-17-2014, 02:59 PM
I kinda doubt that it was racial profiling, much more likely vomiting profiling. Hey you got a small private room for the flight. Cheer up!

Miss Annie
10-17-2014, 04:12 PM
Cultural Marxism conditioning.

Yep yep yep

donnay
10-17-2014, 04:27 PM
UT Students...

Students Pledge To House Ebola Patients In Their Homes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2UKhd5z_d8

phill4paul
10-17-2014, 07:03 PM
Did she have to put her toilet seat forward and buckle her safety harness?

CrissyNY
10-17-2014, 10:45 PM
I kinda doubt that it was racial profiling, much more likely vomiting profiling. Hey you got a small private room for the flight. Cheer up!

lol, vomiting profiling

so everyone had to use the mens bathroom for the rest of the flight?

long lines

JK/SEA
10-18-2014, 10:44 AM
geez...just reading this is making me vomit now...

should i go offline in case this shit can travel through cable into your mouth?

no fever, but we can't be too careful..

Brian4Liberty
10-18-2014, 11:58 AM

I have the right to vomit on you repeatedly, you anti-vomitite!

FindLiberty
10-18-2014, 12:52 PM
As long as it does not spay out of my LCD screen,
as far as I'm concerned, it can go BOTH ways
on RPF! (with or without the vomit)

Ronin Truth
10-18-2014, 02:05 PM
Have the airlines now gone to charging extra fees for using the barf bags? :p

enhanced_deficit
10-18-2014, 04:30 PM
It is being handled.

Obama urges Americans not to give in to Ebola hysteria (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/obama-urges-americans-not-to-give-in-to-ebola-hysteria/article21156239/)