PDA

View Full Version : Oh c'mon! Dallas lab worker goes on cruise; Belize gov't turns ship away.

Philhelm
10-17-2014, 05:46 AM
A woman who had worked with Duncan's pestilential Ebola samples decided to go on a cruise, and is currently in self-quarantine within the ship. Granted, she has not shown symptoms in 19 days, but when it's apparent that they don't know everything about the virus, it would seem wise to err on the side of caution rather than jumping on every airplane and ship in sight.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/ebola-cruise-ship-passenger-monitored-after-lab-work-in-dallas/

WASHINGTON -- Obama administration officials said Friday that a Dallas health care worker who handled a lab specimen from an Ebola-infected man from Liberia who died of the disease was on a Caribbean cruise ship where she has self-quarantined and was being monitored for any signs of infection.

State Department spokeswoman Jen Psaki said in a statement that the woman had shown no signs of the disease and had been asymptomatic for 19 days.

The government was working to return the woman and her husband to the U.S. before the ship completes its cruise. The White House said the State Department was working with an unidentified country to secure their transportation home.
Obama mulls appointing Ebola "czar"
Ebola search expands in Ohio

U.N. fund to fight Ebola is all but empty

The government of Belize reportedly released a statement on Thursday saying it had rejected a U.S. request to allow the cruise passenger to pass through the Philip S.W. Goldson International Airport, which services the Belizean capital.

In the statement, published by a local news network in Belize, the government assured the country's residents that the passenger "never set foot in Belize."

"While we remain in close contact with US officials we have maintained the position that when even the smallest doubt remains, we will ensure the health and safety of the Belizean people," said the statement.

Psaki said when the woman left the U.S. on the cruise ship health officials were requiring only self-monitoring.

Two nurses from the Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital, where the health worker on the cruise also works, have been diagnosed with the deadly virus after working directly with the Liberian man, Thomas Eric Duncan. Duncan died at Texas Health on Oct. 8.

Nurse Nina Pham was transferred late Thursday from Dallas to the National Institutes of Health Clinical Center in Maryland for further treatment, and was said to be in good condition.

Her colleague, Amber Joy Vinson, was transferred earlier in the week to Emory University Hospital in Atlanta.

XNavyNuke
10-17-2014, 06:19 AM
World Maritime News is indicating that the passenger is symptomatic. Additionally, the Belizian government is not allowing the return of their harbor pilot who boarded the ship to guide them in. Sucks to be that guy.

http://worldmaritimenews.com/archives/140025/ebola-stricken-cruise-passenger-denied-entry-to-belize/

XNN

nobody's_hero
10-17-2014, 06:33 AM
Sounds like Belize hasn't totally gone insane. Unlike U.S. officials, who are all but waving people through the gates.

America: "Come on in. If you got Ebola, get to the front of the line! Let's go, keep 'em coming. We got vaccines to sell and ambitious CDC scientists with egos to feed. Americuh F'Yeah! World Saviors FTW!"

Belize: "Fk That! Sail on back out to sea and take that new guy with you. Ebola Sea-bola."

tod evans
10-17-2014, 07:08 AM
Sucks to be on that ship!

liberalnurse
10-17-2014, 08:45 AM
Best comment on maritimenews:

presence
10-17-2014, 08:55 AM
Countries with ebola travel bans:

Gambia

Nigeria

Togo

Gabon

Ivory Coast

Senegal

Rwanda

Chad

South Sudan

Namibia

Angola

Botswana

South Africa

Congo (DRC)

Lesotho

Equatorial Guinea

Kenya

Madagascar

Malawi

Mauritius

Mozambique

Swaziland

Tanzania

Zambia 

Zimbabwe

Cameroon

Gabon

Morocco
Guyana
St Lucia
Haiti
Colombia
Jamaica
Belize

JK/SEA
10-17-2014, 09:42 AM
do we need to start an 'official' i have Ebola thread?

Dr.3D
10-17-2014, 09:46 AM
I find it interesting how so many people who have been exposed to the virus, have decided to take a trip instead of waiting for at least 21 days to do so.

thoughtomator
10-17-2014, 10:07 AM
I find it interesting how so many people who have been exposed to the virus, have decided to take a trip instead of waiting for at least 21 days to do so.

If I didn't know the true cause was the pathological self-absorption of your average American, I'd be speculating on whether the earliest symptom of Ebola is an unsuppressable urge to travel.

aGameOfThrones
10-17-2014, 10:18 AM
do we need to start an 'official' i have Ebola thread?

gluten free?

Anti Federalist
10-17-2014, 10:23 AM
Heh, just mentioned the maritime custom of "Free Pratique" in the Krauthammer thread.

specsaregood
10-17-2014, 10:27 AM
Pretty smart for Belize. What costs them more? Turning away a single/few cruise ships or dealing with a disease once it gets a foothold in their country?

sparebulb
10-17-2014, 10:34 AM
[Heh, just mentioned the maritime custom of "Free Pratique" in the Krauthammer thread.]

AF,

Because you are potentially contagious, I've taken the liberty to place your post in protective brackets in order to protect us from your infectious splatter.

I think that this is just as effective as any policy coming from Obola's CDC.

donnay
10-17-2014, 10:34 AM
Now they should put a big red cross on this ship and bring anyone who test positive for Ebola on it.,

http://www.maritimequest.com/warship_directory/us_navy_pages/military_sealift_command/photos/mercy_t_ah_19/usns_mercy_t_ah_19_03.jpg

aGameOfThrones
10-17-2014, 10:40 AM
AF,

Because you are potentially contagious, I've taken the liberty to place your post in protective brackets in order to protect us from your infectious splatter.

I think that this is just as effective as any policy coming from Obola's CDC.

you can always send it to papa john's

https://img.pandawhale.com/post-51575-south-park-you-cant-make-me-go-pahP.gif

Philhelm
10-17-2014, 10:44 AM
If I didn't know the true cause was the pathological self-absorption of your average American, I'd be speculating on whether the earliest symptom of Ebola is an unsuppressable urge to travel.

No shit. It really irks me since it's fucking obvious that frontline medical personnel have an increased potential to become infected by the Ebola virus, despite their protocol. If I were one of these Dustin Hoffman jerkoffs and just cleaned up Outbreak monkey blood from my astronaut suit, I would quarantine myself. I certainly wouldn't get anywhere near my wife and children, and wouldn't utilize mass transit until I was damned sure I was clear of contamination; it's just not worth it.

Carlybee
10-17-2014, 10:50 AM
No shit. It really irks me since it's fucking obvious that frontline medical personnel have an increased potential to become infected by the Ebola virus, despite their protocol. If I were one of these Dustin Hoffman jerkoffs and just cleaned up Outbreak monkey blood from my astronaut suit, I would quarantine myself. I certainly wouldn't get anywhere near my wife and children, and wouldn't utilize mass transit until I was damned sure I was clear of contamination; it's just not worth it.

Dude..stop yelling fire in a theater...per every libtard out there.

pcosmar
10-17-2014, 10:50 AM
Heh, just mentioned the maritime custom of "Free Pratique" in the Krauthammer thread.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_WJ3Zw3p-Ekc/S_bUZkxBrcI/AAAAAAAAAVY/EdelkgO7q4s/quarantine%20flag_thumb.png?imgmax=800

This will be lost on most. but I am sure you will recognize it.

Pericles
10-17-2014, 10:52 AM
That is how you protect your population.

specsaregood
10-17-2014, 10:52 AM
//

Brian4Liberty
10-17-2014, 10:55 AM

Travel plans are often hard and expensive to change at the last minute. Plus their supervisors and the CDC told them it was okay for them to travel. Ebola is just like AIDS, didn't you know?

Dr.3D
10-17-2014, 10:59 AM
Travel plans are often hard and expensive to change at the last minute. Plus their supervisors and the CDC told them it was okay for them to travel. Ebola is just like AIDS, didn't you know?
Well, I can't believe these healthcare workers are having unprotected sex with all these Ebola patients.

jmdrake
10-17-2014, 11:28 AM
Countries with ebola travel bans:

Gambia

Nigeria

Togo

Gabon

Ivory Coast

Senegal

Rwanda

Chad

South Sudan

Namibia

Angola

Botswana

South Africa

Congo (DRC)

Lesotho

Equatorial Guinea

Kenya

Madagascar

Malawi

Mauritius

Mozambique

Swaziland

Tanzania

Zambia 

Zimbabwe

Cameroon

Gabon

Morocco
Guyana
St Lucia
Haiti
Colombia
Jamaica
Belize

All those African countries are racist.

jmdrake
10-17-2014, 11:32 AM
Not sure if you're being serious or not, but it doesn't make sense to quarantine people who definitely have Ebola on a ship where one person might have Ebola

Now they should put a big red cross on this ship and bring anyone who test positive for Ebola on it.,

http://www.maritimequest.com/warship_directory/us_navy_pages/military_sealift_command/photos/mercy_t_ah_19/usns_mercy_t_ah_19_03.jpg

donnay
10-17-2014, 11:40 AM
Not sure if you're being serious or not, but it doesn't make sense to quarantine people who definitely have Ebola on a ship where one person might have Ebola

It was tongue-and-cheek. However, I am all for taking a big ship like that and making it into a floating hospital unit for those who test positive for Ebola. Stop bringing them into our country.

Carson
10-17-2014, 04:44 PM
Somewhere while I was reading all of the post on Fark putting Belize down on this topic I came across or heard that the two nurses that contracted the disease from the first patent were flown to other states for treatment!

I'm thinking we should grab up that Belize guy for our state.

Fark thread;

http://www.fark.com/comments/8456064/Belize-to-Carnival-Cruise-Texas-nurse-passenger-Only-three-things-come-from-Texas-steers-*****s-ebola-I-dont-see-no-horns-gay-pride-rainbows-on-you