PDA

View Full Version : CA-Cops show up at home for a "welfare check". They shoot and kill family dog.

Anti Federalist
10-16-2014, 06:56 PM
Bosque Farms officer shoots, kills family dog

http://www.news-bulletin.com/2014/10/15/news/bf-officer-shoots-kills-family-dog.html

by Julia M. Dendinger | Oct 15, 2014 | Filed under: News

A Peralta family is mourning the loss of a four-legged friend after police shot and killed their German shepherd red heeler mix in their frontyard two weeks ago.

Ernest Rael, who called the dog his companion and best friend, said he owned Lucky for five years.

“What upsets me most is that they can kill my dog and just walk away. We had a bond; he was that dog that was one in a million,” Rael said.

On Sunday, Oct. 5, Rael came back to his mother’s house on Don Jacobo, where he lives, after spending the morning at church.

When he noticed there was blood on the ground, he asked his mother, Mary Ann Garcia, what happened. Rael said she told him someone called the Bosque Farms Police Department and one of the responding officers had shot his dog.

Rael wasn’t home at the time of the shooting, but Garcia alleged that this was just another incident of BFPD trying to violate her Fourth Amendment rights, which protects citizens from unreasonable searches and seizures, as well as arbitrary arrests.

“They had come to harass me and hospitalize me,” Garcia said. “They said they were called to do a welfare check.”

Garcia said the officers — Richard Pries and Jermaine Wilkins — had their hands on their guns as they approached her home.

“I was like, ‘Hands up, don’t shoot.’ I wouldn’t come out; I said I was doing fine,” she said.

Garcia said Wilkins was being “forceful on the door,” when Pries shot and killed the animal. She alleges Wilkins told her the dog was shot because she would not come out of the house.

The dog was barking at the officers, unrestrained in the yard, Garcia said.

“Last time I went to court, they said they had been (to her house) 45 times; they knew I have a dog,” she said. “They wanted to seize me again and have me arrested and hospitalized.

“It takes two officers to say I’m incompetent and hospitalize me. They said they were going to file a criminal complaint against me for having a vicious dog on the property. They are taking advantage of their power.”

Capt. David Gallegos, the Bosque Farms Police Department’s public information officer, said the officers were dispatched to Garcia’s address due to an ongoing neighbor dispute.

“There is a long history with that address,” Gallegos said.

The lieutenant said when officers initially knocked on the door, there was no answer. At some point, he said, a woman opened the door and said something, which was when one or two dogs came out of the house.

“The dog was probably doing its job, saw a stranger and was barking. I wouldn’t say it was initially aggressive,” Gallegos said.

He said the officer attempted to push the dog away with his foot and it became more aggressive.

“The officer was afraid he was going to be attacked. He fired one round and killed the dog,” he said.

As far as Garcia’s contention that the shooting was an attempt to get her out of the house, Gallegos said he had no reason or information to believe that was the case.

“I wouldn’t say any of our officers would do that, especially this officer who is a big animal lover,” Gallegos said. “I have not received any complaints from anyone making that allegation. If she believes that, she is welcome to file a complaint and it will be looked into.”

Gallegos said Pries’ sergeant, Dawne Roberto, was instructed to review the incident to make sure everything was done properly.

“I have not been notified of anything negative. I think it is fair to say the officer used the amount of force he thought necessary to stop the dog from attacking,” he said. “I certainly feel for the family as a dog owner myself.”

Rael said Lucky was part of the family.

“He knew tricks, was obedient, a very smart dog,” he said. “What I want most is just to shine a light on the wrong doing; they knew they did wrong. I just want them to know they did wrong and for people around here to know.”

phill4paul
10-17-2014, 06:20 AM
The dog wasn't being "initially" aggressive so the "big animal lover" decided to kick it. Gotcha.