PDA

View Full Version : Distribute this Rudy speech in South Carolina, etc.

bbachtung
12-02-2007, 11:04 PM
My favorite Giuliani speech (okay, maybe it ties with "freedom is about authority") is the one that blames the South for NYC's crime problems (from March 6, 1997):

Perhaps, we should require insurance for handguns. If liability insurance were required to purchase and own a handgun, you better believe that the insurance industry would promulgate a pretty rigorous licensing and purchasing process to control the risk.

As a private citizen, as a prosecutor, as a Mayoral candidate and as Mayor, I have advocated for more regulated and more uniform gun licensing regulations, similar to those for a drivers license.

But as it stands now, although some localities like New York City have relatively stringent rules for purchasing a gun, many other states require next to nothing, and without a uniform policy, we all lose.

In fact, a recently released study indicates that of 2,225 guns confiscated in New York City, more than 92 percent of the guns were originally purchased out of state--and more than 60 percent of them came from 5 states, Virginia, Florida, South Carolina, North Carolina and Georgia.

When looking at the FBI total index crimes list, which shows number of crimes on a per capita basis for cities with population more than 100,000, it is not a coincidence that 4 (t.b.v.) of the top 10 are in Florida, and 6 (t.b.v.) are in the South, where gun control laws are very lax.

New York City on the contrary, where the requirements for purchasing a gun are more rigorous, ranks 144th on that list.

Yesterday, President Clinton outlined his proposals for more stringent, federal gun licensing requirements.

His proposals include:

-- prohibiting non-citizens from buying guns;
-- requiring proof of residency, including photo id. and something like a utility bill in the buyers name... similar to what is required for a drivers license;
-- making cop killer, or Teflon coated, armor piercing bullets illegal;
-- and requiring child safety locks on the weapons of all Federal Officials to prevent these guns from ever winding up in the hands of children.

I applaud the President's proposals, and I will support them any way I can.

I only hope that he is right, and that Congress is finally ready to recognize that the vast majority of Americans want more gun control. It makes sense. It is time. And we can no longer let special interests dominate this vitally important issue.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/rwg/html/97a/ccc.html

I have a lot of trouble believing that Rudy could ever really have a change of heart regarding guns, 9/11 and the D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals nothwithstanding; he doesn't understand guns or the Constitution.

bbachtung
12-02-2007, 11:17 PM
Here's Rudy's "pleased" announcement re: NYC suing gun manufacturers: http://www.nyc.gov/html/records/rwg/html/2000a/weekly/wkly0626.html