PDA

View Full Version : Don't Police Exist To Deter the Good, Law Abiding Moral People?

AuH20
10-16-2014, 09:07 AM
Someone just made this comment in another forum I frequent and it struck me as dead-on.

While I was an officer in my first days on FTO, I remember an old man telling me just that once. Being a young cop with a forty foot blue flame shooting out of my ass at all times, the old man telling me that he would like it if the police all took a week off because he and his friends would clean up the city themselves shook the foundations of my little world. He was right! The law abiding fear the police, and rightly so.

fisharmor
10-16-2014, 09:13 AM
Well, what do we observe them doing 99.9% of the time?
Ruining the lives of people who weren't hurting anyone and were just going about their business.

The other 0.1% of the time they're hunting down a cop killer who had just had enough.

pcosmar
10-16-2014, 09:16 AM
Someone just made this comment in another forum I frequent and it struck me as dead-on.

It is..
I have posted this often.

http://www.constitution.org/lrev/roots/cops.htm

The Constitution contains no explicit provisions for criminal law enforcement. Nor did the constitutions of any of the several states contain such provisions at the time of the Founding. Early constitutions enunciated the intention that law enforcement was a universal duty that each person owed to the community, rather than a power of the government. Founding-era constitutions addressed law enforcement from the standpoint of individual liberties and placed explicit barriers upon the state.
Law enforcement is the duty of the people. To enforce,, or allow as they see fit.

Police, as a concept, should not exist in a free society.
Police are "control" (what the word means). And it is an Authoritarian concept.. that people can not control themselves, and must be controlled.

I find the concept offensive.

Spikender
10-16-2014, 09:41 AM
Best part is, a large portion of the streets would be clean if the cops took a vacation.

ZENemy
10-16-2014, 09:42 AM
Police literally protect criminals from their neighbors wrath.

Ronin Truth
10-16-2014, 01:47 PM
Actually they are called LEOs because their job is really only law enforement. You want protection? Get a gun and/or a dog, hire a bodyguard, lock your doors.

DamianTV
10-16-2014, 03:52 PM
Police existence is a self fulfilling prophecy and a self validating job. Remember, you "Need" them, and how often they remind you of that...

jllundqu
10-16-2014, 04:09 PM
Actually they are called LEOs because their job is really only law enforement. You want protection? Get a gun and/or a dog, hire a bodyguard, lock your doors.

"When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!"